PDA

View Full Version : Keys to the New England Game

cmc0605
12-12-2011, 09:35 PM
As people know, Tom Brady and the Pats come to town next week, in what should be the greatest test for this Broncos team since Tebow stepped in (and arguably the best team we'll face all season outside of Green Bay). With this Broncos team, nothing goes according to logic, making these type of "game analyses" irrelevant and futile, but we need some stuff to discuss as fans. Plus, I do think many of these things will matter.

I suspect a good portion of this game will turn into the later part of the Minnesota game, where a slow start may evolve into a back and forth between scoring drives. Whether our offense can do that will decide this game. The Patriots have one of the worst secondaries in the league and one of the most exposed defenses they have experienced in the last decade. This sets up well for Thomas and Decker, and McGahee will be an x-factor that should see a few big runs.

The Broncos defense has been good this season, but have not faced a challenge like Brady this season except during Green Bay. We got torched then. The next closest thing was Matthew Stafford and the Lions, and we got torched then too. You can argue that this is a "different" Broncos team, but this game still frightens me, and I think we need to score more than 20 to keep pace with the Pats in this one. Denver has also been vulnerable against the run in the last two weeks against backup RBs, and their unwillingness to tackle through over 75% of the game against Chicago will not bode well against Green-Ellis and a team that loves the screen pass.

The x-factor for the Pats is Rob Gronkowski, who has only been rivaled by Jimmy Graham this season in terms of tight end production. Aaron Hernandez is no slouch either. Wes Welker will be lined up against Champ Bailey, so he'll have a few catches here and there but probably not a big day. Tom Brady, unlike people like Palmer, typically don't throw Champs way too much. But our team can get exposed quickly once you look past Champ. Andre Goodman is good and can make big plays, but can also give up a lot of passes over the course of a game.

A key to Denver's defense is the ability to pass rush without bringing more than 4, sometimes 5 guys. Tackling will be critical here, and the way they tackled against Chicago will not be acceptable. Von Miller and Dumervil must have a big game, and we need to limit the Pats first down success. If we set up a lot of 2nd and 3's, 2nd and 4's, we lose the game.

Offensively, Tim Tebow has gotten much better in the last two weeks throwing the football. Even during the first three quarters against Chicago when he apparently "threw bad," his WRs dropped a lot of big passes, including a deep TD to Thomas. They need to step up big in this game. As much as I love McGahee, I don't think he can win the game anymore than he can win against Chicago (not very much); Tebow will need to throw for four quarters, and running (either with Tebow or McGahee) need to be thrown in the mix intelligently...but overall I think this is a "pass to set up the run" game, rather than the other way around.

CrazyHorse
12-12-2011, 09:39 PM
With the way the Patriots have played over the last 2 weeks I really like our chances. I still think this will be a loss but hope it's close. Suffering a blowout loss like Detroit or Green Bay would crush this team's morale.

Joel
12-13-2011, 01:38 AM
Good analysis, though I wouldn't go as far as saying it's pass to establish the run for us. Time could become a factor, especially if the Pats take an early lead, and there are few dividends to passing to establish the run if you won't be ahead by the end of the drive. It tires their D and rests yours, critical for a high octane group like ours, but that's it.

With the way I expect them to pass against a secondary with few answers except Champ. Goodman has a concussion and Dawkins left Sundays game with a neck injury, so we might be missing either or both; I like Harris and would love to see him fill Goodmans gap, but otherwise we've got a bunch of rookie scrubs Brady and his receivers can eat alive. I expect them to pass pretty successively.

Getting to Brady rushing 4 or 5 would help immensely, but Bunkley and Thomas will really have to push and draw inside double teams. Also, as much as our run D has suffered on the edges and off tackle we may need LBs to stay home there. Much as I hate doing that, especially against teams that make a living off quick throws, I think our only shot is getting to Brady however we can. This would be a great place for Von Miller and/or Doom to really take over; I'd like to think DJs sacks against Chicago will draw some blockers his way and open up things for them, but he'll probably have his hands full with Gronkowski et al.

I fear you are right we are facing another shootout like the second half at Minnesota, and a blow out if we don't protect Tebow or he doesn't get the ball out quickly and on target to receivers who catch every one. I wish it were as simply done as said; this team has heart and some talent, but the offense is green just about everywhere but RB, and maybe starting to feel the pressure a bit.

Like CrazyHorse I'm hoping against hope for a win that makes us truly feared, but would settle for a loss preserving respectability and the confidence of a young group convinced Tebow will ALWAYS pull a rabbit out of his hat at the end. They haven't seen him FAIL to do that since the Lions beat us down early and just kept piling on more; a loss from which they rebound to dominate Buffalo might be an invaluable learning experience. A crushing loss that leaves them adrift could send us reeling to a loss in Buffalo and cost us the Division.

VonSackemMiller
12-13-2011, 01:46 AM
Smack brady in the mouth frequently. Our offense will have a field day, This will be the game tebow passes for 350 yards and 3-4 touchdowns. Denver will come out and flex there dominance this weekend IMO.

getlynched47
12-13-2011, 02:00 AM
Tom Brady is the first elite quarterback we've faced since Aaron Rodgers.

It's not going to be as easy to stop him as some of you make it sound. If we blitz him, he'll hit his check-downs and hot-routes all day long.

If we stay back in coverage and only rush 4, he'll just pick our secondary apart!

Only way we stop Brady is by actually getting pressure with the front 4. If we blitz, Brady will make us pay.

Talking personnel, we just don't match up well against Rob Gronkowski, Aaron Hernandez, and Wes Welker.

If Champ shadows Welker (likely), what are we doing with Gronkowski, which is the most dominant tight end in the NFL at the moment?

I like Chris Harris, but there's no way in hell that him, or any of our defensive backs can cover a big dude like Rob Gronkowski. We'd have to double Gronk if we want to limit his big plays.

But then shadowing Welker with Champ, and doubling Gronk with a two defenders leaves Aaron Hernandez open to have a huge game.

Match-up nightmare for the Denver Broncos.

The only way we win this game is if our offense destroys that terrible New England defense. It's going to be a shootout.

VonSackemMiller
12-13-2011, 02:11 AM
the broncos blitz because we like hitting the quarterback whether he gets the pass off or not, fortunately were a team that doesnt need to blitz to get pressure on the QB with dooms and von.

NightTerror218
12-13-2011, 12:32 PM
NE has a horrible secondary. I think we should have the same offensive game plan like the second half of the Minnesota game. I swear if we run 50 times and pass 5 times, I am going to go ballistic on McCoy

NightTerror218
12-13-2011, 12:34 PM
I think a huge key to this game is to control the clock, limit NEs possessions and actually making all our possessions count for some points.

ShooterJM
12-13-2011, 01:29 PM
If we can stop the run while in a DB heavy defensive look, that'll go a long way to helping secure a victory.

OrangeHoof
12-13-2011, 01:32 PM
All I know is that if we're within 10 pts in the 4th quarter, we'll find a way to pull it out.

The three things are key to me on how to get there. 1) Pressure Brady by frequent and varied blitzing. 2) Open up the passing game early to establish the run later. 3) Limit mistakes because the Patriots make you pay.

I think if Denver beats New England, the Tebowmania will triple. I welcome that.

D1g1tal j1m
12-13-2011, 01:47 PM
I have a feeling that the Run Option that we have been moving away from these last few games will come back with a vengeance in this NE game. The Pats Defense is lousy and unlike Chicago, lacks the sideline to sideline speed to stop the Option. The Option will open up the pass for Tebow as the Pats DB's are awful and will bite hard on the run action that they will see from Denver.

Control the clock and beat down this Pats D and we will have a close game that will be in our reach in the 4th Quarter.

Canmore
12-13-2011, 02:20 PM
New England has the worst defense statistically in the NFL giving up 416 yards a game but they are 14th in points against, so while they are giving up a ton of yards, they are not giving up a ton of points. Offensively they are second in yards per game and third in points scored. We have our work cut out for us.

Joel
12-13-2011, 06:30 PM
NE has a horrible secondary. I think we should have the same offensive game plan like the second half of the Minnesota game. I swear if we run 50 times and pass 5 times, I am going to go ballistic on McCoy
Even if we start that way, we won't stick with it long. If McCoy does that "I'm gonna run until it's 3rd and 8 or we're way behind" crap again, the latter will be true by half time.

Canmore
12-13-2011, 06:47 PM
New England is currently 13th defensively against the rush giving up 107 yards per game and 4.3 yards per attempt. Passing, they are dead last giving up 309 yards per game and 8.1 yards per attempt. Defensively, these are not the same New England Patriots of recent seasons past. The Patriots are giving up a lot of yards but not a lot of points. We need to make our drives productive in producing points.

wayninja
12-13-2011, 06:57 PM
I think a huge key to this game is to control the clock, limit NEs possessions and actually making all our possessions count for some points.

This. Tom Brady is too good and has too many quick release options for us to be able to rely on Von/Doom to keep Brady in check. The best way to control Brady is to limit how much he gets the ball. Ball control has to be our priority in this game. Short passes and option/traditional runs and wear down their defense and the clock so we can keep it close. Then just do what we do at the end.

NightTerror218
12-13-2011, 07:01 PM
This. Tom Brady is too good and has too many quick release options for us to be able to rely on Von/Doom to keep Brady in check. The best way to control Brady is to limit how much he gets the ball. Ball control has to be our priority in this game. Short passes and option/traditional runs and wear down their defense and the clock so we can keep it close. Then just do what we do at the end.

I think TOs will come from either Brady trying to beat the best in Champ or fumbles by RB. Brady has never played well against Champ. He tries to pick on him since his #1 WR is covered by him.

wayninja
12-13-2011, 07:04 PM
I think TOs will come from either Brady trying to beat the best in Champ or fumbles by RB. Brady has never played well against Champ. He tries to pick on him since his #1 WR is covered by him.

I don't really see the need to pick on Champ. My bet is he might try a few times to feel it out, but he's got too many other options and he's too experienced/savvy to risk it.

If anything, I expect to lose the turnover battle.

Cugel
12-13-2011, 07:04 PM
New England has the worst defense statistically in the NFL giving up 416 yards a game but they are 14th in points against, so while they are giving up a ton of yards, they are not giving up a ton of points. Offensively they are second in yards per game and third in points scored. We have our work cut out for us.

One reason why the Pats defense is so horrible is that their offense scores so quickly they are often right back on the field after a stop. That can be bad as Denver's defense mentioned this season. They are happy with the run oriented offense because it gives them time to rest while the offense is grinding it out.

Unlike most people I do NOT think this will be a shoot out. First of all Tebow can never hope to win a shootout with Brady. He'll destroy Tebow.

Second, the Broncos are going to be able to run the ball and throw some short passes against this defense. They should be able to move the ball effectively on the Pats defense. The only question is how quickly Brady will be able to move them down the field and score.

One thing is for sure. If you get into a 4th quarter shoot-out with Brady forget about the Pats making the key stupid mistakes every other team has made against the Broncos. The Broncos need to get out in FRONT of the Pats in the 4th quarter, not have to come from behind with 2 minutes left.

If they do that, Brady will do what Aaron Rogers did last week -- move the ball down the field in about 20 seconds and set up the winning score. Leave it to the last minute this time and forget Tebow. The Broncos will lose.

Cugel
12-13-2011, 07:07 PM
I don't really see the need to pick on Champ. My bet is he might try a few times to feel it out, but he's got too many other options and he's too experienced/savvy to risk it.

If anything, I expect to lose the turnover battle.

Brady doesn't force the ball to anybody. He will go to the open WR all day long. If Welker is covered don't expect Brady to throw to him against Bailey.

Canmore
12-13-2011, 07:13 PM

If we don't find a way to make Brady at least get off of his release point, it will be a long afternoon. Miller, Dumervil and company have got to get some pressure on Brady. Ideally, we control the clock and shorten the game. We keep it close and wear on New England's already suspect defense. If we can do that, we give the ball to Tebow come crunch time and like our chances.

nevcraw
12-13-2011, 07:17 PM
Brady doesn't force the ball to anybody. He will go to the open WR all day long. If Welker is covered don't expect Brady to throw to him against Bailey.

really--- tell that to his coach on sunday who was swearing up a blue streak after he did just that...

Canmore
12-13-2011, 07:34 PM

Real pressure gives even the great quarterbacks a problem. We need to move Tom Terrific off his spot and knock him around some. He's human, hit him and his accuracy suffers. Problem is that he is so good, like Manning at getting rid of the ball. Blitzing him is usually a mistake. Pressure from the front four is imperative. Real pressure just might make Brady make a mistake.

Dzone
12-13-2011, 07:50 PM
We seem to play to the level of our opponent. We can expect the same on Sunday. We will certainly match them in intensity. We could get some lucky turnovers that convert to touchdowns and come away with the upset of the year.

Canmore
12-13-2011, 08:01 PM
We seem to play to the level of our opponent. We can expect the same on Sunday. We will certainly match them in intensity. We could get some lucky turnovers that convert to touchdowns and come away with the upset of the year.

You make an interesting point in saying we play to the level of our opponent. With the exception of Green Bay, Detroit and Oakland II, we have had games determined by seven points or less. That's pretty much the definition of playing to your opponents level. With Tebow, we win those games. It would be nice to play better than our opponents level but I'll take wins any way they come.

NightTerror218
12-13-2011, 08:49 PM
One reason why the Pats defense is so horrible is that their offense scores so quickly they are often right back on the field after a stop. That can be bad as Denver's defense mentioned this season. They are happy with the run oriented offense because it gives them time to rest while the offense is grinding it out.

Unlike most people I do NOT think this will be a shoot out. First of all Tebow can never hope to win a shootout with Brady. He'll destroy Tebow.

Second, the Broncos are going to be able to run the ball and throw some short passes against this defense. They should be able to move the ball effectively on the Pats defense. The only question is how quickly Brady will be able to move them down the field and score.

One thing is for sure. If you get into a 4th quarter shoot-out with Brady forget about the Pats making the key stupid mistakes every other team has made against the Broncos. The Broncos need to get out in FRONT of the Pats in the 4th quarter, not have to come from behind with 2 minutes left.

If they do that, Brady will do what Aaron Rogers did last week -- move the ball down the field in about 20 seconds and set up the winning score. Leave it to the last minute this time and forget Tebow. The Broncos will lose.

This is coming from the guy who said we would go 3-13 at best. Said Tebow would never win a game. Tebow would keep his starting job. Said we were going to draft in top 10 and get a new QB, no question. EPIC FAIL!!!!!!!

Joel
12-14-2011, 12:31 AM

You make a very good point about the mixed blessing of quick scores; it's the one thing I hate about pick sixes. Part of why Minnesota scored so much in the second half was (IMHO) that we scored 2 TDs in 3 plays, so even though we were connecting on our drives, we weren't resting our D.

Dallas' loss to NY (which may cost them the Division) was similar: The D made a stop, then Romo uncorked a bomb to Robinson (I'd kill for a WR like him in Denver) to take a 12 point lead, and put the D on the field. They gave up one TD on a long drive, and when the Cowboys went three and out the Giants got another one against a defence so gassed they let NY practically fall into the end zone for the 2 pt conversion.

Our problem is Belichick knows how soft his D is, too, and how soft our secondary is; he'll probably try to light us up like GB and Detroit did, so he takes McGahee out of the game.

I expect a shootout or a blowout, so I'm hoping for the former. If:

1) Tebow is as accurate as the last couple weeks,
2) Our receivers recover from the terminal dropsy epidemic AND
3) McCoy is confident enough in both to call passes when it's not 3rd and long

we can win a shootout, but that's a lot of "if"s, and even then it's not a guarantee.

Unfortunately, I expect it to be necessary because, much as our D has impressed me, I don't think it can do more than slow NE down a little. We have too many deep and short threats for our banged up secondary with two massive holes (possibly three if Dawkins is out, and he's not as fast anymore regardless.) That means we can't just unload the blitz, but also means we may have no choice. If Mays and DJ can handle their receivers short and the latter can help out Dawkins and Goodman/Harris when they go deep that would be eminently preferable, but that's another big set of "if"s.

The best way to be ahead in the fourth and avoid the need for "Tebow Time" (which I also don't expect to be enough this week) is to go ahead early and stay there. With the Pats offense that's only likely if we light them up the way they'll try to do us. Be on target, Timmy, and tell your receivers if they drop another easy pass they're going to Hell. :tongue:

WTE
12-14-2011, 10:44 AM
Smack brady in the mouth frequently. Our offense will have a field day, This will be the game tebow passes for 350 yards and 3-4 touchdowns. Denver will come out and flex there dominance this weekend IMO.

Dreamer, you know you are a dreamer
Well can you put your hands in your head, oh no!

6lInOUcUkqk

NightTerror218
12-14-2011, 12:25 PM
can we get Brady's wife Tebowing during the game to throw off Brady?

Chef Zambini
12-14-2011, 01:32 PM
DJ williams on the GRONK with safety help over the top.
champ with hot dog coverage on welker.
BLITS goodman, he sucks as a cover corner.
Doom and Von do what they do.
Run the dang ball! Lately TT has NOT been a part of the run game until the 4th quarter, THAT needs to change !
sustain drives, keep BRADY on ther sidelines.
PATS worst record against ANY NFL team is against the BRONCOS !
(BB led pats)
even JMCD beat the pats in denver, so why not now !

Dapper Dan
12-14-2011, 02:13 PM
In defense of, well, the defense for the Pats. When your offense can go 99 yards in one play, it doesn't give you much time to rest. We know how the offense can translate to the defense and vice versa.

Also, the defense may give up a lot, but for the most part, Brady and the Pats win shootouts. If its a slower paced game we may have a better shot. It took everything we had to keep up with a rookie QB in a shootout. This is Tom Brady with a lot of weapons.

Dapper Dan
12-14-2011, 02:15 PM
DJ williams on the GRONK with safety help over the top.
champ with hot dog coverage on welker.
BLITS goodman, he sucks as a cover corner.
Doom and Von do what they do.
Run the dang ball! Lately TT has NOT been a part of the run game until the 4th quarter, THAT needs to change !
sustain drives, keep BRADY on ther sidelines.
PATS worst record against ANY NFL team is against the BRONCOS !
(BB led pats)
even JMCD beat the pats in denver, so why not now !

Who covers Ocho, Hernandez, and Branch?

WTE
12-14-2011, 02:38 PM

Or Tiquan Underwood?

http://www2.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/Tiquan+Underwood+Tribeca+ESPN+Sports+Film+NPRK73FP QvTl.jpg

wayninja
12-14-2011, 03:28 PM
Or Tiquan Underwood?

http://www2.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/Tiquan+Underwood+Tribeca+ESPN+Sports+Film+NPRK73FP QvTl.jpg

An pen-cap, obviously.

slim
12-14-2011, 03:29 PM

Ocho and Branch both suck :listen:

nevcraw
12-14-2011, 05:10 PM
I Think we just need to focus our practise time on situational football.

Dapper Dan
12-14-2011, 07:18 PM
Ocho and Branch both suck :listen:

So does what's-his-name for the Vikings. Aromashanxjdkckfngnfj?

slim
12-14-2011, 07:44 PM
So does what's-his-name for the Vikings. Aromashanxjdkckfngnfj?

Fair enough.

sneakers
12-14-2011, 08:00 PM
Score more points than the Patriots.

artie_dale
12-15-2011, 09:23 AM
Our defense has the potential to slow Brady & his offense so it'll boil down to whether the Broncos offense can expose the NE defense. If our offense does't produce against this defense, then we won't stand a chance. I am confident our defense will stump Brady a few times. If Von & Doom can get to him early and rattle him, that will be tremendous. Brady is already stressed from having to carry the entire team, I hope our defense can push him over the edge.

Chef Zambini
12-15-2011, 09:44 AM
first team to 27 wins.

2 weeks ago I did not think we had 27 points in us,
no longer true!
I do believe our D ,RUNNING ON ALL CYLINDERS, can hold the pats under 30.
for the first time in a decade, i have no fears about our special teams play.
I love our run game, best its been since TD and mike the marine!
Our pass rush is bonafide intimidating !
BB worst record against any single team is against the broncos!
heck, even JMCD beat BB in denver!
why not now, why not THIS team?
GO BRONCOS !

Chef Zambini
12-15-2011, 09:58 AM
Who covers Ocho, Hernandez, and Branch?zone, with some man coverage mixed in.
GRONK and welker are the 2 proimary weapons, diminishing their iompact is critical.
attack the pass at the point of origin is the best strategy and its what we do best.
Hopefully, we can get BRADY thinking more about DOOM and VON than gronk and welker.
AS for ocho cinco..
Chad has been more cinco than ocho of late, he may get 2 completions, i can live with that.
Hernandez, we can make him a BLOCKER, not a catcher.
BRANCH has success when BRADY has time, he is rarely the primary or even secondary target
.BRADY under pressure doesnt find branch.

denverfaninmass
12-15-2011, 11:07 AM
I posted this in another post, sorry for double posting

On Defense:
The only way that is effective is to be physical with the tight ends and receivers at the line of scrimmage, Their offense is based on timing paterns, this will disrupt their patterns. Also disguise coverages, this is a must as they are great at adjustments. You can not blitz a lot as Brady will eat us alive. Only rush 3 at times or 4 at times the rest go into coverage but disguised, we must be effective at these 3 to 4 rushes. Also some of the rushes need to be through the middle to not allow Brady comfortable pocket presence. There is no way to cover Gronk one on one, this is where the disguising comes into play.

On Offense:
Use the clock, with different rushing plays, which will create big plays for the play action passes. Must change things up to keep them guessing. Patriots play a lot of zone as they can not cover man to man, so on the play action there will be holes for sure in their zone, must make precise throws and must be caught. As a note people have been have not been respecting their defense, yes their coverage is not that great, but they are very stingy at allowing teams to score. They allow a lot of yards between the 20's but are tough in the red zone.

The offense must be creative, this is where we need to pull out some suprises

This must happen for all 4 quarters for a chance to win this game

Ravage!!!
12-15-2011, 11:38 AM
This is coming from the guy who said we would go 3-13 at best. Said Tebow would never win a game. Tebow would keep his starting job. Said we were going to draft in top 10 and get a new QB, no question. EPIC FAIL!!!!!!!

Dude.. quit with the rehashing of what eeryone says and using that against what they will happen in the game. You have said a LOT of really REALLY dumb things, but we aren't going to constantly mention them everytime you want to make a prediction or complain about the OC that is making FANTASTIC gameplans for Tebow.

Ravage!!!
12-15-2011, 11:46 AM
They key to taking on the Patiriots is doing what the Redskins did... perform on offense.

But we can NOT wait till the fourth quarter to do it. The defense we are facing is bad... REALLY bad. If we can't score on this defense, then we can't score on anyone. Even Grossman looked good against this defense.

But Brady WILL score. Their TE, is a beast and will be a match-up NIGHTMARE For us. Their running game is practically non-existent, so I'm not concerned with that, and that will alone Von-Doom to in their ears back and get themselves some HoF QB this week.

There is a HUGE difference in the QB we are playing. We haven't played a stud QB since Detroit (since Rivers is having the worst year of his career). This isn't like playing against Ponder or Hanie or Cassel or Moore or Sanchez. Its going to be a rough game for us to keep up offensively.

NightTerror218
12-15-2011, 01:07 PM
Dude.. quit with the rehashing of what eeryone says and using that against what they will happen in the game. You have said a LOT of really REALLY dumb things, but we aren't going to constantly mention them everytime you want to make a prediction or complain about the OC that is making FANTASTIC gameplans for Tebow.

really? like what? What really dumb things have I said? Better then your idiotic negative crap comments you spew constantly .

Fullback32
12-15-2011, 04:56 PM
Keys:

1. The defense has to put Brady on his back early and often.

2. The run has to be successful, but as we know, the Pats like everyone else will be stacking the box. So this game may be more on Tebow's arm than any game since the streak began, which takes me to:

3. Though Tebow's throwing has gotten better, there was a little regression last week due to the Bears pressure and coverage. Against an average Patriots secondary, Tebow is going to have to throw better than ever and the receivers absolutely CANNOT DROP ANY BALLS this week.

Fullback32
12-15-2011, 04:59 PM
Or Tiquan Underwood?

Whoa...it's the dude from House Party!

Canmore
12-15-2011, 11:55 PM
Keys:

1. The defense has to put Brady on his back early and often.

2. The run has to be successful, but as we know, the Pats like everyone else will be stacking the box. So this game may be more on Tebow's arm than any game since the streak began, which takes me to:

3. Though Tebow's throwing has gotten better, there was a little regression last week due to the Bears pressure and coverage. Against an average Patriots secondary, Tebow is going to have to throw better than ever and the receivers absolutely CANNOT DROP ANY BALLS this week.

We don't have to put Brady on his back but that would be a plus. We do have to move Brady off of his spot. Miller and Doom have to be at the top of their game coming off the edge and our defensive tackles have to own the line of scrimmage so Brady can't step up and fire. If Brady has a clean pocket we are in for a long afternoon.

WARHORSE
12-16-2011, 03:43 AM
We have the ability to hurt New England. VonDoom will be able to bring pressure with the front four which is going to be big for us.

I look for NE to have a lot of big packages.

Two and three TE sets.

The Broncos have been pasting QBs, and if we start hitting Brady in the mouth, I think Belicheat will move to protect the playoffs more than anything.

They will be making a lot of quick throws, not wanting Tom terrific to get smoked.

We can win this game. We gotta keep the ball away from NE.

Best thing we can do is score first, removing the stigma from not being able to score early.

I hope we go no huddle and let Tebow pass.

Even if he throws a couple INTs early on, NE will stay back on their heels where our run game can gash.

Theyre gonna start off in base packages, then load the box.

We gotta hit some deep balls.

Joel
12-16-2011, 12:19 PM
Even the '07 Giants didn't get to Brady with 3-4 pass rushers, and neither will our much weaker rush. Matt Light vs. Doom should be fun to watch, but I give the edge to Light, and if he does have trouble Thomas shouldn't be enough of a threat to prevent Logan Mankins assistance. DJ will probably be too busy with Gronkowski to get the couple sacks he had last week. Bunkley might be able to overpower Dan Connolly (despite weighing less,) if the Pats center is hobbled by his groin injury, but Brian Waters should be able to pull that slack. I have more hopes of Miller going after fellow rookie (and Denver native) Nate Solder since it looks like Vollmer is still out at RT; that could be a big opportunity, especially if it forces Waters to choose between helping out the mismatched rookie on his right or the injured center on his left.

We have to find SOME way to get in Bradys face though, because our secondary is underexperienced, undertalented and beat up to boot. Unless Brady's stupid enough to throw at Champ his other receivers will have a track and field day, and sending a few extra blitzers so they keep a TE in to block is worth it, IMHO.

We need to score early and often so we avoid being blown out to a degree that would make McGahee and Tebow running irrelevant. We still have to minimize turnovers though; a couple early ones would probably let NE build a commanding lead which might not be insurmountable, but would allow them to drop in coverage knowing we can't afford the time to run.

Depth charts are available here:

http://www.nfl.com/teams/newenglandpatriots/depthchart?team=NE
http://www.nfl.com/teams/denverbroncos/depthchart?team=DEN

Note: Doom and Hunter are incorrectly listed at RDE AND WLB; replace them with DJ (75 Tck 5 Sck 3FF) and Woodyard (85 Tck 0 Sck 2 FF.)

VonSackemMiller
12-17-2011, 12:25 AM
Even the '07 Giants didn't get to Brady with 3-4 pass rushers, and neither will our much weaker rush. Matt Light vs. Doom should be fun to watch, but I give the edge to Light, and if he does have trouble Thomas shouldn't be enough of a threat to prevent Logan Mankins assistance. DJ will probably be too busy with Gronkowski to get the couple sacks he had last week. Bunkley might be able to overpower Dan Connolly (despite weighing less,) if the Pats center is hobbled by his groin injury, but Brian Waters should be able to pull that slack. I have more hopes of Miller going after fellow rookie (and Denver native) Nate Solder since it looks like Vollmer is still out at RT; that could be a big opportunity, especially if it forces Waters to choose between helping out the mismatched rookie on his right or the injured center on his left.

We have to find SOME way to get in Bradys face though, because our secondary is underexperienced, undertalented and beat up to boot. Unless Brady's stupid enough to throw at Champ his other receivers will have a track and field day, and sending a few extra blitzers so they keep a TE in to block is worth it, IMHO.

We need to score early and often so we avoid being blown out to a degree that would make McGahee and Tebow running irrelevant. We still have to minimize turnovers though; a couple early ones would probably let NE build a commanding lead which might not be insurmountable, but would allow them to drop in coverage knowing we can't afford the time to run.

Depth charts are available here:

http://www.nfl.com/teams/newenglandpatriots/depthchart?team=NE
http://www.nfl.com/teams/denverbroncos/depthchart?team=DEN

Note: Doom and Hunter are incorrectly listed at RDE AND WLB; replace them with DJ (75 Tck 5 Sck 3FF) and Woodyard (85 Tck 0 Sck 2 FF.)

I dont think your giving our guys on the Dl enough credit. The DTs might be rotational guys but they get it done. I watched thomas blow shit up and bunkley blow shit up the bigger the game gets. Matt Light can hold Dooms in check? Well see, I dont see anybody blocking Von Miller on the other side. What about when we send Dawkins? Send DJ? Send Mays? the beauty of this defense is anybody could be coming including the nickle corner.

Joel
12-17-2011, 01:16 AM
I dont think your giving our guys on the Dl enough credit. The DTs might be rotational guys but they get it done. I watched thomas blow shit up and bunkley blow shit up the bigger the game gets. Matt Light can hold Dooms in check? Well see, I dont see anybody blocking Von Miller on the other side. What about when we send Dawkins? Send DJ? Send Mays? the beauty of this defense is anybody could be coming including the nickle corner.
I give our guys plenty of credit, but the Pats have had one of the top pass blocking lines every year for the last decade.

What about when we send more than a four man rush? As I said, I think that's the only way we get to Brady, because Mankins, Waters and Light should help Connolly and Solder handle anything our front four throws at them. I'm just glad Vollmer's out; he's not in the same class as Mankins and Light, but not bad. The Pats have a good line; they know the value of protecting Brady, who's never been mobile. Miller has a good shot at doing some damage going at a rookie RT, especially if Bunkley can tie up Waters (or, if he's quick enough, get a sack or two if Miller FORCES Waters to help the RT) but otherwise we'll have to blitz extra guys to get Brady.

The beauty of the 3-4 is (partly) that it can blitz LBs from anywhere; the other underappreciated beauty is that trading a down lineman for a LB gives it extra speed a few yards off the line to help out with TEs and RBs in the short passing game. Probably the biggest reason for the Pats' success in the past decade is combining the multi-threat spread offense with the only D really suited to beat it. Unfortunately, that requires big powerful NTs like Wilfork or Casey Hampton, not Brodrick Bunkley, who's outweighed by all three of NEs starting guards (albeit not by much in Mankins case; he makes up for that with sheer badassery though.) It also requires bigger DEs, which we also don't have, though Thomas might qualify in our "4-3 that plays like a 3-4 with Dooms hand in the dirt at OLB." Only way we can make that work is if the Pats' run game totally disappears AND we get good push on their line; I don't think our front four (or three) has the power for that against guards as good as theirs.

Anyway, the point is, yes, we can get to Brady if we send Dawkins, Mays and/or DJ--but then we're rushing 5, 6 or even 7 guys, leaving Branch, Johnson and Gronkowski covered by Goodman, Harris and... David Bruton? Rahim Moore? Heaven help us, because Brady will be slinging quick throws left and right to beat the blitz, and their receivers will feast on our awful secondary, doubly so if we're blitzing Dawkins and/or DJ. Champ will shut down Welker completely or nearly so. And it still won't matter.

Most likely we'll have to put DJ on Gronkowski, Mays on Johnson or Hernandez and have Dawkins play a zone to help them and Goodman (primarily the latter on Branch, which is pathetic since he's our veteran #2 CB.) Of course, now we're back to rushing four guys, five tops, against the Pats very good offensive line. Unless Miller can regularly blow by Solder, even with help from Waters, this is likely to get ugly: Blitz and Brady kills us with quick throws to good receivers against awful coverage; cover and Brady STILL kills us with patient throws to good receivers against awful coverage.

This is a nightmarish matchup, and the only saving grace is that the Pats are in a similar predicament, so desperate for DBs they're drafting backup receivers to start. We have to take advantage of that by protecting our QB so he makes on target throws to receivers who catch them.

VonSackemMiller
12-17-2011, 03:35 AM
the pats have giving up 22 sacks this year and trust me they havent faced anything like miller and doom and our blitz packages they will face sunday.

Joel
12-17-2011, 04:45 AM
the pats have giving up 22 sacks this year and trust me they havent faced anything like miller and doom and our blitz packages they will face sunday.
So, about 1.7/game then, which is tied with Oakland for 5th behind the Giants and Bengals (21,) Titans (19) and Bills (17.)

As for whom they've faced:

Philadelphia, #2 in sacks (42.) Sacked Brady once, hit him twice more. Final: Pats 38, Eagles 20. In Philly.

Oakland, #5 in sacks (tied with us at 37.) Sacked Brady once, hit him four times. Final: Pats 31, Raiders 19. They had still had McFadden, too (but not Palmer.)

NY Giants, #6 in sacks (36.) 2 sacks, 3 hits and 2 picks, though the final is encouraging: NY 24, NE 20. In Foxboro, no less.

Dallas, #7 in sacks (35.) 3 sacks, 8 hits and 2 Ints and they STILL lost 20-16. That's Dallas for you. :rolleyes:

The team that probably did best against them doesn't have a ton of sacks this year (30, which puts them tied for the Falcons for 16th) but got 3 against NE; Pitt won that game 25-17.

That's roughly half their sacks, against 4 of the 10 teams with the most sacks, plus Pitt. They've faced and beaten better bltizers and defences than ours, with better offenses to help pace Brady (their only other loss was Bradys 4 pick blow up against Buffalo; his Division opponents know him better than we.)
http://espn.go.com/nfl/team/_/name/ne/new-england-patriots
Sacks allowed: http://tinyurl.com/d5m2akw Sacks made: http://tinyurl.com/cn4657f

artie_dale
12-17-2011, 05:52 AM
We have the ability to hurt New England. VonDoom will be able to bring pressure with the front four which is going to be big for us.

I look for NE to have a lot of big packages.

Two and three TE sets.

The Broncos have been pasting QBs, and if we start hitting Brady in the mouth, I think Belicheat will move to protect the playoffs more than anything.

They will be making a lot of quick throws, not wanting Tom terrific to get smoked.

We can win this game. We gotta keep the ball away from NE.

Best thing we can do is score first, removing the stigma from not being able to score early.

I hope we go no huddle and let Tebow pass.

Even if he throws a couple INTs early on, NE will stay back on their heels where our run game can gash.

Theyre gonna start off in base packages, then load the box.

We gotta hit some deep balls.

I agree with everything War, except the scoring first. I think if our defense can stop them from scoring their first & second attempt, that'll be a bigger slap in the face than us scoring first on their shady defense. Making Brady stress early against our defense will set the tempo and how both teams make 2nd half adjustments will be huge because NE is capable of coming from behind very easily.

tebowtime5502
12-17-2011, 03:22 PM
Denver doesn't have a key for this lock.

Yes it's sad, but the Broncos will not beat the Pats.

I just don't see it happening.

VonSackemMiller
12-17-2011, 08:20 PM
So, about 1.7/game then, which is tied with Oakland for 5th behind the Giants and Bengals (21,) Titans (19) and Bills (17.)

As for whom they've faced:

Philadelphia, #2 in sacks (42.) Sacked Brady once, hit him twice more. Final: Pats 38, Eagles 20. In Philly.

Oakland, #5 in sacks (tied with us at 37.) Sacked Brady once, hit him four times. Final: Pats 31, Raiders 19. They had still had McFadden, too (but not Palmer.)

NY Giants, #6 in sacks (36.) 2 sacks, 3 hits and 2 picks, though the final is encouraging: NY 24, NE 20. In Foxboro, no less.

Dallas, #7 in sacks (35.) 3 sacks, 8 hits and 2 Ints and they STILL lost 20-16. That's Dallas for you. :rolleyes:

The team that probably did best against them doesn't have a ton of sacks this year (30, which puts them tied for the Falcons for 16th) but got 3 against NE; Pitt won that game 25-17.

That's roughly half their sacks, against 4 of the 10 teams with the most sacks, plus Pitt. They've faced and beaten better bltizers and defences than ours, with better offenses to help pace Brady (their only other loss was Bradys 4 pick blow up against Buffalo; his Division opponents know him better than we.)
http://espn.go.com/nfl/team/_/name/ne/new-england-patriots
Sacks allowed: http://tinyurl.com/d5m2akw Sacks made: http://tinyurl.com/cn4657f

I stand beside my comment, The patriots havent faced two pass rushers like Dooms and Miller this entire year. Youll see tomorrow.

WTE
12-17-2011, 08:53 PM
I stand beside my comment, The patriots havent faced two pass rushers like Dooms and Miller this entire year. Youll see tomorrow.

VonDoom will get their 2 sacks and 4 QB hits and that is it.

If that gets you excited then so be it.

Patriots roll 31-13.

You'll see tomorrow.

Canmore
12-17-2011, 09:02 PM
VonDoom will get their 2 sacks and 4 QB hits and that is it.

If that gets you excited then so be it.

Patriots roll 31-13.

You'll see tomorrow.

Talk is cheap.

If I was a Patriot fan, I sure would be hoping for a blow out because we sure know how the Broncos have been playing in close games with Tebow.

Guess we will see soon enough.

tomjonesrocks
12-18-2011, 02:52 AM
My brain says Pats in a blowout but who the hell knows after the past several weeks. There was some poll on ESPN or whatever I saw that showed a complete 50/50 split on who would win this game.

It's kind of amazing. This is a team that wasn't a favorite this entire season until maybe last week (I didn't check the line).

Brady's such a stud it's almost impossible to pick against him regardless of the players on either team. Denver also seems less impressive at Invesco; I'd almost feel better about the game in Foxboro.

If a gun is to my head I say this week brings the Broncos down to earth and Tebow out of the headlines. Hopefully we at least get one clean shot from Von Miller that gives Brady something to think about for when the teams later are a bit more evenly-matched talent-wise.

artie_dale
12-18-2011, 03:38 AM
I really think our defense can stump this Patriot's offense. That's what it'll take. I do not believe this will happen, but if our offense can come out and dominate the Pat's defense, I'll be blown away. But, we have to disrupt Brady in order to give us a chance. Their offensive line is so good, it's going to be tough to do. But, I actually have hopes that we're going to give them a run for their money. If we can at least do that (keep it close whether it's a shootout or not), it will solidify my confidence that this team is on track to really be a contender.

Chef Zambini
12-18-2011, 09:44 AM
I really think our defense can stump this Patriot's offense. That's what it'll take. I do not believe this will happen, but if our offense can come out and dominate the Pat's defense, I'll be blown away. But, we have to disrupt Brady in order to give us a chance. Their offensive line is so good, it's going to be tough to do. But, I actually have hopes that we're going to give them a run for their money. If we can at least do that (keep it close whether it's a shootout or not), it will solidify my confidence that this team is on track to really be a contender.their pass blocking will focus on outside pressure.
with DOOM and VON coming from the outside, it HAS TO !
we can stunt our front 4 or send blitzers UP THE A GAP !
brady aint going nowhere, he is going to stay right in the middle of the field.
most QBs need time and space, bradys time window is less than most, but he does NEED SPACE, a push up the middle that restricts his stance can be very effective, even if we dont actually get to him!
up the A-gap

Chef Zambini
12-18-2011, 09:55 AM
My brain says Pats in a blowout but who the hell knows after the past several weeks. There was some poll on ESPN or whatever I saw that showed a complete 50/50 split on who would win this game.

It's kind of amazing. This is a team that wasn't a favorite this entire season until maybe last week (I didn't check the line).

Brady's such a stud it's almost impossible to pick against him regardless of the players on either team. Denver also seems less impressive at Invesco; I'd almost feel better about the game in Foxboro.

If a gun is to my head I say this week brings the Broncos down to earth and Tebow out of the headlines. Hopefully we at least get one clean shot from Von Miller that gives Brady something to think about for when the teams later are a bit more evenly-matched talent-wise.tebow out of the headlines? surely you are joking!

Nomad
12-18-2011, 10:00 AM
tebow out of the headlines? surely you are joking!

Yeah, he'll still be in the headlines but it'll say 'Tebow has no miracles against the elite QBs'.

EastCoastBronco
12-18-2011, 12:17 PM
3 keys in my opinion...

1) Pressure Brady.
2) Tackle Gronkowski
3) Run the hell out of Willis McGahee

Personally, I think we are going to go punch for punch with them and win it with a last minute field goal...;-)

Joel
12-18-2011, 02:20 PM
That's probably a safer place to stand than behind it. ;) DeMarcus Ware? Justin Tuck? Jason Babin? Jason Pierre-Paul? Pitts entire starting LB corps? Are Doom and Miller better than all those guys? They better be if we're gonna get many sacks on Brady.

silkamilkamonico
12-18-2011, 02:43 PM
I'm hoping McCoy allows the offense to open it up at the start of the game instead of the third quarter. That will be crucial. Let Tebow and the offense make some mistakes, because I think the payoff of big plays will be worth it.