PDA

View Full Version : Tim Tebow - QB - Broncos

Traveler
12-12-2011, 01:56 PM
One high-level league executive tells NFL.com that the Broncos' original plan with Tim Tebow was to play him for "a few weeks" to appease fans, and then initiate a rebuilding movement.

The Broncos reportedly "wanted to move on" and "wanted nothing to do with the (Josh) McDaniels regime," which drafted Tebow in the first round of 2010.

NFL.com's Mike Lombardi now believes Tebow has made VP of Football Operations John Elway "a believer." The Broncos are leading the AFC West, and after winning so many games, out of position to draft an elite quarterback in 2012.

Source: NFL.com Dec 12 - 1:29 PM

http://www.rotoworld.com/sports/nfl/football?r=1
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Why publish something like this now? Mike Lombardi sour grapes? Can't do any better than One high-level league executive? C'mon Man!

Northman
12-12-2011, 02:03 PM
Yea, addressed this in another thread. Got love these "high level executive" comments yet no names addressed to any actual quotes. But hey, what do i know? Tebow is just the 4th best QB on the team and Orton just wins.

Tned
12-12-2011, 02:03 PM
Very interesting. Part of me thinks that true, part of me isn't too sure. There are plenty of guys like Klils and others that are saying the Broncos didn't make the move to appease fans or due to fan pressure. Now, even if that's the case (not bowing to fan pressure), I think it was likely to see what they had in Tebow, and they probably had low expectations.

Now they are probably in a quandary. The Broncos are in playoff contention, and Tebow shows flashes of brilliance, along with some runs of really bad play. So, they have to be asking themselves if they can harness the brilliant and reduce the inconsistency. Only time will tell.

Tned
12-12-2011, 02:05 PM
Yea, addressed this in another thread. Got love these "high level executive" comments yet no names addressed to any actual quotes. But hey, what do i know? Tebow is just the 4th best QB on the team and Orton just wins.

Especially when if it truly is a "high level executive" they know with 100% certainty it's going to be printed (even if anonymous source) and not make the Broncos front office look good. Why would you intentionally take both a shot at Tebow and make the front office look scummy (might not be the best word, but all that comes to mind at moment).

wayninja
12-12-2011, 02:07 PM
In other news, high ranking Chemical Engineers announce fire is hot.

Northman
12-12-2011, 02:08 PM
I think it was likely to see what they had in Tebow, and they probably had low expectations.

But this was expected, Tebow was a project when he was drafted so there really was no way for Elway or anyone else to believe Tim would be better than he was. Hence why Elway has said he is getting better and better every week. But i dont believe that either of them were planning on dumping him straight out without looking at what he could do first. I think Lombardi is reaching.

Traveler
12-12-2011, 02:14 PM
But this was expected, Tebow was a project when he was drafted so there really was no way for Elway or anyone else to believe Tim would be better than he was. Hence why Elway has said he is getting better and better every week. But i dont believe that either of them were planning on dumping him straight out without looking at what he could do first. I think Lombardi is reaching.

Lombardi seems to have an issue with the team since the firiing of McDaniels. Hasn't had much nice to say since that time.

Any one know if Lombardi and McDaniels are friends?

slim
12-12-2011, 02:17 PM
Lombardi is in tight with Bellichick and also with McDaniels.

He said earlier this year that Tebow was done in Denver (TT didn't have any support in the FO). Guess maybe he trying to save face a little.

TimHippo
12-12-2011, 02:17 PM
It's sort of like the storyline for Major League. (except the whole moving the team to Miami part).

Field the worst team possible, give Tebow the tryout to appease the fans, and trade players away (Brandon Llyod) in the hopes that the team would fail and land Andrew Luck. I do think that was the original plan but now things have changed.

I also think early on nobody expected Indianapolis to completely and blatantly tank the season to get Andrew Luck. So early in the season people thought they had a much more legitimate shot at Luck if they ended up 2-14 or 3-13.

Bosco
12-12-2011, 02:18 PM

I agree, it doesn't make any sense. If they "didn't want anything to do with" the Josh McDaniels regime, why keep in place so much of the coaching staff he assembled? Why not do a complete and total house cleaning?

I wouldn't give much credence to this rumor.

Tned
12-12-2011, 02:18 PM
Lombardi seems to have an issue with the team since the firiing of McDaniels. Hasn't had much nice to say since that time.

Any one know if Lombardi and McDaniels are friends?

I was just thinking the same thing. Lombardi was in the front office in New England (not sure what role), and he was clearly not on board with the McDaniels firing and slanted his NFLN coverage that way.

Tned
12-12-2011, 02:21 PM
I was just thinking the same thing. Lombardi was in the front office in New England (not sure what role), and he was clearly not on board with the McDaniels firing and slanted his NFLN coverage that way.

Correction, I checked, he worked for Belicheck in Cleveland, not New England.