PDA

View Full Version : Should the NFL adopt NCAA rules overtime?

SR
08-30-2007, 07:18 PM
I think so. Discuss.

Crush05
08-30-2007, 07:24 PM
I think so. Discuss.

One word for ya......................

NO

SR
08-30-2007, 07:33 PM
Why? I think it's more exciting. I say cut the preseason down to 2 games, make the regular season 18 games, and adopt the NCAA rules over time.

Crush05
08-30-2007, 07:34 PM
Why? I think it's more exciting. I say cut the preseason down to 2 games, make the regular season 18 games, and adopt the NCAA rules over time.

I disagree on the overtime issue. I could be sold on the 18 game season but I also like it case in point new defensive coach and our def. needs these 4 games!!!!

Den21vsBal19
08-30-2007, 08:14 PM
I think so. Discuss.

Refresh my memory, what's the difference?

SR
08-30-2007, 08:36 PM
Refresh my memory, what's the difference?

In a nutshell, when the NCAA has an overtime game say the first team (team A) to recieve the kick off scores a field goal...they then kick off to the team that was scored against (team B). If team B doesn't score a field goal, they lose because they didn't match team A. IF they score a field goal, they then kick back off. But if they score a TD the game is over.

I think that's how it goes.

Den21vsBal19
08-30-2007, 08:43 PM
In a nutshell, when the NCAA has an overtime game say the first team (team A) to recieve the kick off scores a field goal...they then kick off to the team that was scored against (team B). If team B doesn't score a field goal, they lose because they didn't match team A. IF they score a field goal, they then kick back off. But if they score a TD the game is over.

I think that's how it goes.

Oh, right I think they used to run the same thing in the old World League............equal possesions.................

I don't think it's a bad idea, at the moment the luck factor of the coin toss is way to important.

Skywalker
08-30-2007, 09:38 PM
I think so. Discuss.

That isn't a bad idea, I wouldn't mind at all if the NFL adopted the NCAA overtime rules...

SR
08-30-2007, 09:45 PM
That isn't a bad idea, I wouldn't mind at all if the NFL adopted the NCAA overtime rules...

I was reading an article a few ago about how the NHL likes the new excitement that the recent (two years ago) rule changes brought and it got me thinking "what could the NFL do to break the monotony and make games slightly more exciting"...to me...changing overtime rules would be a step in the right direction...sometimes football games bore the hell outta me...

Tned
08-30-2007, 11:03 PM
I think so. Discuss.

I'm not a fan. If they don't do Sudden death, then I think they could do something like four five minute OT periods. If you go to OT, you play five minutes, if at the end of five minutes you are still tied, you do another five, etc.

BroncoWave
08-30-2007, 11:05 PM
I say yes, but start the ball at the 50 instead of the 25.

Watchthemiddle
08-30-2007, 11:47 PM
It will never happen. THe owners would never go for it based off of the money spent on players.

Could you see these guys playing into the 3rd, 4th or 5th OT?

I think they do need to do something different though. I like a time limit instead of sudden death type scenario. 5-7 minutes or so would be good. But even with that, you get more and more time playing for the "high priced" players if no one scores.

LordTrychon
08-30-2007, 11:52 PM
It will never happen. THe owners would never go for it based off of the money spent on players.

I think they do need to do something different though. I like a time limit instead of sudden death type scenario. 5-7 minutes or so would be good. But even with that, you get more and more time playing for the "high priced" players if no one scores.

I've always liked the idea of switching away from the sudden death... I like the equal opportunities method... but I'd never thought about the injury possibilities...

But then again, if we're going to let fear run the league, we could just have everyone show up to camp, have some reps recorded and a 40 ran... and let the Madden AI decide who gets the Lombardi Trophy at the end of the season.

Watchthemiddle
08-30-2007, 11:58 PM
I've always liked the idea of switching away from the sudden death... I like the equal opportunities method... but I'd never thought about the injury possibilities...

But then again, if we're going to let fear run the league, we could just have everyone show up to camp, have some reps recorded and a 40 ran... and let the Madden AI decide who gets the Lombardi Trophy at the end of the season.

Or we could cut the preseason down to 2 games, expand the regular season to 18 and make the roster a 65 man instead of 53.

A bigger roster would mean more personel to play with and in that case playing longer in OT wouldn't hurt as much...for some.

But, would a longer season and longer OT ( like college ) put an Asterist * on the record books because guys could have 4-5 touchdown games on the regular??

LordTrychon
08-31-2007, 12:01 AM
Or we could cut the preseason down to 2 games, expand the regular season to 18 and make the roster a 65 man instead of 53.

A bigger roster would mean more personel to play with and in that case playing longer in OT wouldn't hurt as much...for some.

But, would a longer season and longer OT ( like college ) put an Asterist * on the record books because guys could have 4-5 touchdown games on the regular??

I'm against the expansion of regular season for the whole * argument.

Edit: I didn't see the part about OT affecting TD counts... I think they're too rare to truly affect the NFL as a whole... but I could be wrong. How many OTs did LT have last year?

I don't think expanded rosters would make owners more likely to stop worrying about injuries.

Jay Cutler is still priceless to the franchise even if we can keep Parsons on the roster.

Watchthemiddle
08-31-2007, 12:05 AM
I'm against the expansion of regular season for the whole * argument.

Edit: I didn't see the part about OT affecting TD counts... I think they're too rare to truly affect the NFL as a whole... but I could be wrong. How many OTs did LT have last year?

I don't think expanded rosters would make owners more likely to stop worrying about injuries.

Jay Cutler is still priceless to the franchise even if we can keep Parsons on the roster.

That is one true statement. :ahhhhh:

But if we could expand the rosters, the NFL would be deeper and we could have Jake as the back up...:behindsofa:

Crush05
08-31-2007, 12:11 AM
That is one true statement. :ahhhhh:

But if we could expand the rosters, the NFL would be deeper and we could have Jake as the back up...:behindsofa:

BOOOOOOOOOOO WTM I just lost respect for that comment! BOOOOOOOOOO:tsk::censored:

Watchthemiddle
08-31-2007, 12:13 AM
BOOOOOOOOOOO WTM I just lost respect for that comment! BOOOOOOOOOO:tsk::censored:

You have to admit though, if Jay goes down ( God forbid ) JaKe would be a GREAT backup to come in. :saint:

Crush05
08-31-2007, 12:16 AM
You have to admit though, if Jay goes down ( God forbid ) JaKe would be a GREAT backup to come in. :saint:

PLease tell me your over this Jake thing! Please tell me! In all honesty I would not want Jake the mistake back!!!!

Watchthemiddle
08-31-2007, 12:20 AM
PLease tell me your over this Jake thing! Please tell me! In all honesty I would not want Jake the mistake back!!!!

I'm over it bro...but not so over it that I can't have a little fun with it...:first:

Crush05
08-31-2007, 12:26 AM
I'm over it bro...but not so over it that I can't have a little fun with it...:first:

LOL your a good man!!!! Glad we can all have some fun here and get along!!!!!:grouphug:

Watchthemiddle
08-31-2007, 12:36 AM
LOL your a good man!!!! Glad we can all have some fun here and get along!!!!!:grouphug:

LOL at the smilie. I was trying to fit that one in this place somewhere and you beat me to it.

Dang Crush, with this savy posting of yours tonight you could have about 100 cp's by now....:laugh:

Crush05
08-31-2007, 12:41 AM
LOL at the smilie. I was trying to fit that one in this place somewhere and you beat me to it.

Dang Crush, with this savy posting of yours tonight you could have about 100 cp's by now....:laugh:

That is no laughing matter. You are talking with the Ruler of the boards!!!!!:first::ahhhhh:

Broncos Mtnman
08-31-2007, 01:10 AM
That is no laughing matter. You are talking with the Ruler of the boards!!!!!:first::ahhhhh:

I think someone's been sniffing diesel fumes....

:laugh:

Crush05
08-31-2007, 01:13 AM
I think someone's been sniffing diesel fumes....

:laugh:

Ahhh the all mighty mtnman has made it home from the game!!! Glad to see youo made it safe, but do not let my status bother you. You could be here someday!!!!:nixon:

Broncos Mtnman
08-31-2007, 01:19 AM
Ahhh the all mighty mtnman has made it home from the game!!! Glad to see youo made it safe, but do not let my status bother you. You could be here someday!!!!:nixon:

You'd be NOTHING without me. I'm :first:

Back on topic....

I would like to see a change in the OT rules, but I don't think the league is interested at the moment.

Crush05
08-31-2007, 01:21 AM
You'd be NOTHING without me. I'm :first:

Back on topic....

I would like to see a change in the OT rules, but I don't think the league is interested at the moment.

I like the ot just as it is. Hmmm we actually do not agree on all things! Wow miracles do happen. lol

SR
08-31-2007, 03:05 AM

These guys play SIXTEEN regular season games...hockey players play EIGHTY-TWO, SIXTY minute games per regular season, plus THREE MONTHS of playoffs...if football players can't do it then I may quit watching this sport.

Den21vsBal19
08-31-2007, 03:29 AM

If I remember the old WLAF rules right, which I think these are similar to, during regular season then if the scores were still tied at the end of 1 period of OT, then the game would be declared a tie, as is currently the case.

I like the idea........first it may encourage teams to run a slightly more aggresive two minute drill to avoid the OT, and once you're in OT, it should encourage the team with the ball to be more aggresive, no point in manouevering into FG range if the opposition can comeback and score a TD........

I think it would make things more interesting

Retired_Member_001
08-31-2007, 04:58 PM
I hate the system at the moment.

The coin toss plays a more important role than the players actually playing. Have a little gust of wind blow the coin the right way up and you have a massive advantage.

I personally like the NCAA rules. I think things would be alot less random, if you can produce a score the same or better than the other team when you get the ball you win. I think the only way this would work though is a time limit as others have said. I think the time limit should be at the maximum five minutes.

That's just my opinion.

broncosfanscott
09-01-2007, 01:25 AM
It would definatly make OT more interesting. I know whoever wins the coin toss is more likely to win the game, yet with NCAA OT rules games could be quite longer and I don't think the NFL want longer games. If they want to eliminate the importance of the coin toss then the NCAA rules would be a perfect solution. One change I would make if these rulse were adopted would be to eliminate the XP and only go for two-point conversions.

Medford Bronco
09-01-2007, 01:28 AM
I dont like the NCAA OT rules. Yes they are fair but being at the 30 or 35 is too easy to score. I like the idea of both teams being guaranteed one possession and then sudden death after that. IMHO that is fair and does not compromise the integrity of the game.