PDA

View Full Version : D.J.'s Versatility

TXBRONC
01-31-2009, 05:28 PM
I saw this tidbit on PFW's site and it got to wondering if D.J. shifts to yet another position will he become frustrated and walk away from the Broncos when his contract is up? :ponder:

I know it's speculative, but I think it could be a bit frustrating to constantly be switching to new positions every year.

What do you all think?

There is public poll with this if you care click on it.

http://www.profootballweekly.com/PFW/NFL/AFC/AFC+West/Denver/WWHI/2008/wwhi013109.htm

Broncos will shuffle LB Williams yet again
By Dan Parr
Jan. 31, 2009

One of the repercussions of Denver’s transition to a 3-4 defense is yet another change of positions for D.J. Williams, who has not played at the same spot in back-to-back seasons since 2004-05. Sources say having Williams, who is athletic enough to play inside or outside in a 3-4, gives the Broncos some flexibility in the draft and free agency. If the team decides to use an early pick on a linebacker, it won’t have to stew over whether to take someone who can play inside or outside. Instead, Denver can take the one they deem the best available, regardless of position, and then alter Williams’ position accordingly. The constant changes have made things more challenging for Williams, who recently underwent surgery to repair a torn rotator cuff, but he has played well no matter where he lines up and he doesn’t seem shaken by it.

spikerman
01-31-2009, 05:36 PM
I would add another choice - "Play another position and just accept it". He probably doesn't want to move, but he won't have a choice. I just hope that wherever he plays he does it with more effort than he showed against SD.

SoCalImport
01-31-2009, 05:41 PM
I would add another choice - "Play another position and just accept it". He probably doesn't want to move, but he won't have a choice. I just hope that wherever he plays he does it with more effort than he showed against SD.

That's where my vote goes.

BTW. I'm not saying the Deej isn't going for greener pastures once his contract expires. Don't know if He'll find'em or not. It depends on how much improved the Broncos D is in 09.

TXBRONC
01-31-2009, 05:42 PM

He was playing hurt all year so I don't think it was a lack of effort.

spikerman
01-31-2009, 05:47 PM
He was playing hurt all year so I don't think it was a lack of effort.
I'm not just talking about the lack of speed, I understand recovering from a knee injury can cause that. In that last game though, he looked very reluctant or disinterested in sticking his head in there. If he wasn't up to it due to injury he shouldn't have been in there.

I don't want to hijack the thread so back to the original question, I think if he plays up to his potential, he'll make a fine ILB in a 3-4, but I'm not sure he'll be thrilled with the move.

TXBRONC
01-31-2009, 05:49 PM
I'm not just talking about the lack of speed, I understand recovering from a knee injury can cause that. In that last game though, he looked very reluctant or disinterested in sticking his head in there. If he wasn't up to it due to injury he shouldn't have been in there.

I don't want to hijack the thread so back to the original question, I think if he plays up to his potential, he'll make a fine ILB in a 3-4, but I'm not sure he'll be thrilled with the move.

I believe he also had a torn rotator cuff.

Bozo Jr.
01-31-2009, 06:01 PM
Most likely he'll walk. I hope not, but with the constant scrutiny of our "D" the last few years he probably has some built up resentment for the franchise. Maybe a successful 2009 campaign will keep him interested.

Simple Jaded
01-31-2009, 06:47 PM
http://www.rotoworld.com/Content/playerpages/player_contract.aspx?sport=NFL&id=2664

DJ Williams is signed through the 2013 season, he'll be 30/31 years old so if he wants to walk away from the Broncos when his contract is up (If Denver keeps him around that long), I'm thinking the Broncos and their fans won't mind much.

And if I'm Williams I'm finally excited about a new DC and a position change, so I don't think Williams is going anywhere.

The question is where and when they get the VERY Overrated Wesley Woodyard on the field, hopefully the 212lb LB has no bearing on who/how the Broncos draft. Maybe the Panthers would be interested in Woodyard as a WLB if Meeks brings the Tampa2 to Carolina (Woodyard/+ for Kemoeatu?).......

Broncos Mtnman
01-31-2009, 08:39 PM
If Mickey D can get the Broncos into the playoffs sooner rather than later, then I don't think DJ will mind whatever he's asked to do.

Winning has a way of improving attitudes.

dogfish
01-31-2009, 08:51 PM
http://www.rotoworld.com/Content/playerpages/player_contract.aspx?sport=NFL&id=2664

DJ Williams is signed through the 2013 season, he'll be 30/31 years old so if he wants to walk away from the Broncos when his contract is up (If Denver keeps him around that long), I'm thinking the Broncos and their fans won't mind much.

beat me to it. . . . if he wants to walk at the end of his contract, i doubt we'll be crying about it too much. . . .

and although i'm certain that the constant shuffling has to be really frustrating for him, there's really not much anyone can do about it this time-- he can't very will play his natural 4-3 WILL in a system that doesn't even have that position! the 3-4 WILL is totally different, and regardless of what that snippet says it's not a position he's likely to be any good at. . . sure, they can put him out there if they want, and he probably has enough athleticism to get by, but the guy has never shown any blitzing ability-- and that's one of if not the top responsibility for 3-4 OLBs. . . . i don't think he's an ideal fit inside in the 3-4 either, but it's certainly a better fit for his skillset than outside unless he has mad blitzing skills we've never seen before. . . .

SmilinAssasSin27
01-31-2009, 10:40 PM
From what I've read, DJ wants to be able to do certain things on the field...not necessarily play a certain position. If a ILB position allows him to play to his strengths, I don't see him getting to bent. I think we all know after seeing the Pitt and Bmore OLBs play, DJ is not a 3-4 OLB.

TXBRONC
01-31-2009, 10:47 PM

And if I'm Williams I'm finally excited about a new DC and a position change, so I don't think Williams is going anywhere.

The question is where and when they get the VERY Overrated Wesley Woodyard on the field, hopefully the 212lb LB has no bearing on who/how the Broncos draft. Maybe the Panthers would be interested in Woodyard as a WLB if Meeks brings the Tampa2 to Carolina (Woodyard/+ for Kemoeatu?).......

I had forgotten that D.J. had already signed a new contract.

BeefStew25
02-01-2009, 01:40 AM
I get all the linebacker spots confused. but DJ is mildly retarded. No way he lasts until 2013.

honz
02-01-2009, 03:05 AM
I get all the linebacker spots confused. but DJ is mildly retarded. No way he lasts until 2013.
He's about as one dimensional as you...