PDA

View Full Version : Dj finally lives up to rep.

horsepig
12-11-2011, 08:59 PM
DJ had one of the best games of his pro career today. I've been a doubter for years, but his performance this year has been eyeopening.

Having a semblance of stability on the defensive side in regard to coaching combined with putting him in the right place in the scheme has revived his career.

Was he really this good all along, through the revolving door of coaches and schemes?

Clipworthy
12-11-2011, 09:04 PM
he's played well for a long time... he's struggled a little this year in the new scheme but this is how he played last season, he's good and I hope he retires a Bronco

SR
12-11-2011, 09:04 PM
DJ has had an up and down career, but today was one of the best games he's had as a pro. He was an animal and didn't make anything but important plays today. Hats off to him and the rest of the defense for coming through when it actually mattered.

rcsodak
12-11-2011, 09:05 PM
No. He was playin a terrible Oline. :lol:

Mobile Post via http://Mobile.BroncosForums.com/forums

wayninja
12-11-2011, 09:05 PM
Yeah, good game by DJ, but still not liking the unpredictability of his play. Hope this turnaround sticks.

horsepig
12-11-2011, 09:09 PM
No. He was playin a terrible Oline. :lol:

:throwrock: :d:

TXBRONC
12-11-2011, 09:09 PM
Unpredictable my foot. D.J. has been a solid players for several years.

Simple Jaded
12-11-2011, 09:12 PM
Dj Williams is a filty ******* beast, how he is so undervalued by Broncos fans is beyond laughable.

One dude can't hit the water from the edge of the boat and he's voted ProBowl, this dude actually makes as many big plays as he does routine plays and he's dogshit.......

SR
12-11-2011, 09:13 PM
Unpredictable my foot. D.J. has been a solid players for several years.

He's been solid, but sometimes he shines. There was a lot of hype around DJ coming out of college and I think what people sometimes get frustrated with is that hype, especially when he has games like he did today. I've always been a fan of DJ, but some fans are fair weathered. It'd be nice if DJ could play every week like he did today, but overall he's been a solid LB for this team for many years and has dealt with a lot from moving from LB position to LB position and he's handled it all with class.

TXBRONC
12-11-2011, 09:15 PM
He's been solid, but sometimes he shines. There was a lot of hype around DJ coming out of college and I think what people sometimes get frustrated with is that hype, especially when he has games like he did today. I've always been a fan of DJ, but some fans are fair weathered. It'd be nice if DJ could play every week like he did today, but overall he's been a solid LB for this team for many years and has dealt with a lot from moving from LB position to LB position and he's handled it all with class.

He was considered a likely number one pick but it was Vilma that garnered all the hype.

SR
12-11-2011, 09:20 PM
He was considered a likely number one pick but it was Vilma that garnered all the hype.

Yep. And while Vilma was with the Jets he lived up to all of the hype, but he's been relatively quiet since being with the Saints. He's still one of the top 10-12 LBs in the NFL in my mind though. DJ hasn't lived up to his hype, but he didn't flop either. He's had a pretty damn good career IMO and, like previously stated, is severely under appreciated by a lot of Broncos fans.

horsepig
12-11-2011, 09:23 PM
Vilma's had the better career, IMO. If I had a nose full of nickels for every time DJ's made the tackle 2 yards past the 1'st down marker I could buy a new horse trailer. :laugh:

SmilinAssasSin27
12-11-2011, 09:40 PM
As I said in the off-season...all the haters can stop hating now that he's back where he belongs. He's done nothing for this team but do what has been asked. Switch positions 3-4 times and amass sick tackle numbers. "But those tackles were all 5 yeards down field"....well...ya know what, maybe if we had a DLine before 2011, those tackles may have been a bit closer to the LOS.

atwater27
12-11-2011, 09:42 PM
I could never understand the disrespect for DJ, especially from within Broncos fandom. Dude's been our best linebacker since Al Wilson.

silkamilkamonico
12-11-2011, 09:49 PM
DJ's been solid most opf his career, but yea, it's amazing what a competent coaching staff can do for a player on their respective side of the ball.

wayninja
12-11-2011, 09:52 PM
I could never understand the disrespect for DJ, especially from within Broncos fandom. Dude's been our best linebacker since Al Wilson.

Losing the captaincy after the DUI arrest didn't really help respect.

But not trying to bash him, I think he's been pretty good. He's had some stinky games, but I suppose everyone does. Overall I would call him solid with flashes of brilliance and flashes of WTF?

Dzone
12-11-2011, 09:54 PM
now would have been sweet to beat them with cutler. We could have.

Simple Jaded
12-11-2011, 09:54 PM
DJ's mom is smokin ******* hot, btw.......

SR
12-11-2011, 09:57 PM
DJ's mom is smokin ******* hot, btw.......

Pictures please. TIA

Northman
12-11-2011, 09:58 PM
DJ has had an up and down career, but today was one of the best games he's had as a pro. He was an animal and didn't make anything but important plays today. Hats off to him and the rest of the defense for coming through when it actually mattered.

Yep. Inconsistent but today was the best ive seen him ever play. But, im guessing its helped a lot by the amount of attention given to Doom and Von.

TXBRONC
12-11-2011, 10:01 PM
Yep. Inconsistent but today was the best ive seen him ever play. But, im guessing its helped a lot by the amount of attention given to Doom and Von.

Even with the attention give to Dumervil and Miller each of them still ended up with a sack.

DenBronx
12-11-2011, 10:07 PM
DJ has had the breath of life breathed back into him this year. He was an animal today!!

Got to have some nasty back in the D.

Joel
12-11-2011, 10:15 PM
DJ had one of the best games of his pro career today. I've been a doubter for years, but his performance this year has been eyeopening.

Having a semblance of stability on the defensive side in regard to coaching combined with putting him in the right place in the scheme has revived his career.

Was he really this good all along, through the revolving door of coaches and schemes?
Yes. He's very fast, a solid tackler and great in coverage, but too small to blow up most blockers, and big RBs/TEs can often carry him downfield after he wraps them up on a great tackle. How many seasons has he led the team in tackles anyway?

That makes him easily our best Will, who, as I've noted many times, has spent his career covering Antonio Gates (twice a year,) Tony Gonzales (twice a year,) Dallas Clark (every time the Colts have pounded us) and the Pats TEs. A guy has to be pretty spectacular to even look mediocre against that kind of competition.

Putting DJ at Sam, where the most critical strengths are his greatest weaknesses, and his greatest strengths are often wasted, was a huge mistake.

Putting him at MLB was a lesser mistake, but still a real one; he wasn't ready then to make all the necessary reads, and couldn't make up for it with punishing hits at 240. Given a few more years he might have developed enough savvy to be serviceable there, but in the mean time he was getting torched at MLB AND his replacement at Will was, too: It was a double disaster that incidentally did a number on his confidence (the harder hits didn't help his durability either.)

As a 3-4 ILB his duties were usually very similar to those of a 4-3 Will, and his resurgence had already begun last year (one of the few high points for me last season was watching DJ dive through the legs of two linemen to hit a back for a 2 yard loss that helped secure one of our four wins.) Back where he belongs he's once again thriving, and finally beginning to get some of the respect he has so long been denied.

That is very gratifying to his long time fans, because his selfless commitment and quality play at the 4 different positions 3 different coaches have placed him over 4 years has always deserved it. :salute:

Simple Jaded
12-11-2011, 11:34 PM
Pictures please. TIA

Sorry. Met her at training camp the year before his contract extension.......it was hot that day.......

horsepig
12-12-2011, 03:22 AM
Yes. He's very fast, a solid tackler and great in coverage, but too small to blow up most blockers, and big RBs/TEs can often carry him downfield after he wraps them up on a great tackle. How many seasons has he led the team in tackles anyway?

That makes him easily our best Will, who, as I've noted many times, has spent his career covering Antonio Gates (twice a year,) Tony Gonzales (twice a year,) Dallas Clark (every time the Colts have pounded us) and the Pats TEs. A guy has to be pretty spectacular to even look mediocre against that kind of competition.

Putting DJ at Sam, where the most critical strengths are his greatest weaknesses, and his greatest strengths are often wasted, was a huge mistake.

Putting him at MLB was a lesser mistake, but still a real one; he wasn't ready then to make all the necessary reads, and couldn't make up for it with punishing hits at 240. Given a few more years he might have developed enough savvy to be serviceable there, but in the mean time he was getting torched at MLB AND his replacement at Will was, too: It was a double disaster that incidentally did a number on his confidence (the harder hits didn't help his durability either.)

As a 3-4 ILB his duties were usually very similar to those of a 4-3 Will, and his resurgence had already begun last year (one of the few high points for me last season was watching DJ dive through the legs of two linemen to hit a back for a 2 yard loss that helped secure one of our four wins.) Back where he belongs he's once again thriving, and finally beginning to get some of the respect he has so long been denied.

That is very gratifying to his long time fans, because his selfless commitment and quality play at the 4 different positions 3 different coaches have placed him over 4 years has always deserved it. :salute:

Except it's been more like 4 positions with SEVEN different coaches.

bcbronc
12-12-2011, 03:33 AM
as mentioned, DJ has been solid throughout his career, but he hasn't taken it to that next level in terms of making plays, ie sacks, FFs, Ints. Today he did and it was huge.

Joel
12-12-2011, 04:39 AM
Except it's been more like 4 positions with SEVEN different coaches.
Well, I only counted head coaches, not DCs; DJ's not old enough to have played under 7 of those. ;)

broncofaninfla
12-12-2011, 07:58 AM
DJ has been a good LB for us for years but yetserday he was a great LB. Pretty sure that was his best game as a pro.

This defense is a DT, MLB and CB for depth away from being dominant.

HORSEPOWER 56
12-12-2011, 08:11 AM
I'm one of the guys you're all referring to as a guy who's been negative toward DJ. He's been a solid player for us for his whole career, but his lack of leadership (2 DUIs - neither of which has he ever been punished by the league for miraculously), and lack of game-changing plays (INTs, FFs, sacks, stuffs) have always been the deciding factor for him being on my "bad side", especially as of late. He's always been a physical specimen, it's just a matter of him getting it right upstairs.

He, like most of his defensive teammates, is playing much better this year. He seems rejuvenated in this defense and really is playing his ass off. Hats off to him and I hope it continues because we need a playmaking WILL in this defense. This year, he's been doing all the things I didn't see him doing much of before. He probably deserves to be voted to the pro-bowl, but unfortunately because few outside of Denver really know who he is or can appreciate his play, he'll miss out again.

Keep it up DJ, we need you! :salute:

TXBRONC
12-12-2011, 09:12 AM
I'm one of the guys you're all referring to as a guy who's been negative toward DJ. He's been a solid player for us for his whole career, but his lack of leadership (2 DUIs - neither of which has he ever been punished by the league for miraculously), and lack of game-changing plays (INTs, FFs, sacks, stuffs) have always been the deciding factor for him being on my "bad side", especially as of late. He's always been a physical specimen, it's just a matter of him getting it right upstairs.

He, like most of his defensive teammates, is playing much better this year. He seems rejuvenated in this defense and really is playing his ass off. Hats off to him and I hope it continues because we need a playmaking WILL in this defense. This year, he's been doing all the things I didn't see him doing much of before. He probably deserves to be voted to the pro-bowl, but unfortunately because few outside of Denver really know who he is or can appreciate his play, he'll miss out again.

Keep it up DJ, we need you! :salute:

One of the things Fox has done well over the years is develop linebackers. While this defense isn't complete yet, it's still probably one of the most talented defenses that he and Champ have played on since coming to Denver.

Tned
12-12-2011, 09:14 AM

DJ has been playing well all year (since coming back from injury). He's been playing really well the last few weeks. He's making big time plays now that he's moved back to his natural weak side slot.

LordTrychon
12-12-2011, 10:46 AM
Draft a WLB... runner up for D Rookie of the year...

Move him around... plays average to above average.

Put him back at WLB. Has one of his best years as a pro.

Who'da thunk it.

rcsodak
12-12-2011, 10:58 AM
now would have been sweet to beat them with cutler. We could have.
Wouldnt have been close, had they had a competent qb. Imo.
Case in point. That short pass over the middle to barber that was thrown 5' over his head....that wouldve gone for most likely a TD.

Dzone
12-12-2011, 10:59 AM
Pushing Barber out of bounds! Way to go DJ. Might be his best game ever

rcsodak
12-12-2011, 11:02 AM

Not meaning to nitpik, but its very seldom he was on those TE's. The S's and even Champ have usually been given that assignment.

rcsodak
12-12-2011, 11:09 AM
DJ has been a good LB for us for years but yetserday he was a great LB. Pretty sure that was his best game as a pro.

This defense is a DT, MLB and CB for depth away from being dominant.
The D was bleeding yards in the run game. Unless that DT is a 350# run stopping mammoth, 1 wont be enough, imo.

Plus, theyre growing too dependent on BDawk. He goes out, the rush yards go up.

Joel
12-12-2011, 12:50 PM
Not meaning to nitpik, but its very seldom he was on those TE's. The S's and even Champ have usually been given that assignment.
It seemed like that assignment's been mostly split between DJ and Ferguson because we couldn't afford to take Champ off #1 WRs, and, although Fergie didn't get a lot of love either, once he was gone DJ was pretty much all we had since Lynch and now Dawkins spend so much time blitzing and run stuffing.

The D was bleeding yards in the run game. Unless that DT is a 350# run stopping mammoth, 1 wont be enough, imo.

Plus, theyre growing too dependent on BDawk. He goes out, the rush yards go up.
The latter is certainly true, but given how anemic the offense was for the 7/8ths of the game and the fact Chicagos only scores were a TD on a short field after a long Hester punt return plus a 57 yard FG I disagree about the D bleeding yards. It doesn't mean as much since the Bears offense consisted of a scrub QB, poor blocking and a second string RB who can't make guys miss, stay in bounds or hold onto the ball, but the D did a good job even if it was against poor competition.

Tned
12-12-2011, 01:55 PM
Draft a WLB... runner up for D Rookie of the year...

Move him around... plays average to above average.

Put him back at WLB. Has one of his best years as a pro.

Who'da thunk it.

Exactly. Perfect recap.