PDA

View Full Version : Unlikely comeback

horsepig
12-11-2011, 08:06 PM
I remember watching the "boys" play KC in Denver in '94 I believe. We lived in BFE in the NE sandhills on a ranch and douldn't even get Prime Star at the time. We drove to town (about 75 miles) to a friends trailer to watch the game. My wife was really down in the dumps as Elway and the Broncos played like shit. With about 5 minutes left I told my beloved "it's not over yet. baby."

Elway finally came to life and after 3 & 3/4 quarters and only 2 1'st downs they scored twice in the final moments for an unbelievable win.

That game waas not as far out of the realm of possibility as today's. Tebow and this TEAM are making Foxy, Elway, and us fans older really fast, but happily so!

Dean
12-11-2011, 08:33 PM
I remember watching the "boys" play KC in Denver in '94 I believe. We lived in BFE in the NE sandhills on a ranch and douldn't even get Prime Star at the time. We drove to town (about 75 miles) to a friends trailer to watch the game. My wife was really down in the dumps as Elway and the Broncos played like shit. With about 5 minutes left I told my beloved "it's not over yet. baby."

Elway finally came to life and after 3 & 3/4 quarters and only 2 1'st downs they scored twice in the final moments for an unbelievable win.

That game waas not as far out of the realm of possibility as today's. Tebow and this TEAM are making Foxy, Elway, and us fans older really fast, but happily so!

I get flashbacks to the Elway years too. They get it done in different ways but it looks like the their teams have the same strong belief that the games are never out of reach when they play.:beer:

Belief that you can win or belief that you can't win are each self fullfilling prophecies.

horsepig
12-11-2011, 08:49 PM
I don't really compare the two. It's just the ultimate improbability of it all that creates legends.

The "Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy" has a great passage in which somebody invents "the ultimate improbability space drive", i.e. the farther away your goal is, the faster you will get there. This thing kind of smacks of that kinf of thing.

Joel
12-11-2011, 09:52 PM
I don't really compare the two. It's just the ultimate improbability of it all that creates legends.

The "Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy" has a great passage in which somebody invents "the ultimate improbability space drive", i.e. the farther away your goal is, the faster you will get there. This thing kind of smacks of that kinf of thing.
Infinite Improbability Drive, and that's not how it's supposed to work. The drive itself works on the principle that, just as quantum theory says an electron has a 99% probability of being within a short distance of the nucleus but an infinitesimally small chance of being on the opposite side of the universe, macroscopic objects could similarly travel that distance instantly for the same reason. The relevant issue here (and I agree it is quite similar) is that the drive was considered so difficult to devise that it was "a virtual impossibility" and that in turn made it a finite probability, which could be calculated normally, and that made it possible to construct.

http://hitchhikers.wikia.com/wiki/Infinite_Improbability_Drive

Similarly, the Broncos chance of victory appear hopeless nearly every week--until we reach the point victory is virtually impossible. Once victory is ONLY possible through a series of virtually impossible events, their occurrence is seemingly certain. Paradoxically, victory becomes MORE CERTAIN as it becomes LESS LIKELY.

It must be maddening for Fox, whose whole philosophy is the lowest risk, highest percentage reliable football, to continually find himself in situations where he not only NEEDS the riskiest most desperately gambling play, but it CONSISTENTLY WORKS. It's like telling your kids to stay in school, work hard and do what's right when all their favorite (and wealthiest) bands are full of drug dealing high school dropouts. :tongue:

Timmy!
12-12-2011, 12:33 AM
42. its the answer.

Mobile Post via http://Mobile.BroncosForums.com/forums

horsepig
12-12-2011, 03:13 AM
Infinite Improbability Drive, and that's not how it's supposed to work. The drive itself works on the principle that, just as quantum theory says an electron has a 99% probability of being within a short distance of the nucleus but an infinitesimally small chance of being on the opposite side of the universe, macroscopic objects could similarly travel that distance instantly for the same reason. The relevant issue here (and I agree it is quite similar) is that the drive was considered so difficult to devise that it was "a virtual impossibility" and that in turn made it a finite probability, which could be calculated normally, and that made it possible to construct.

http://hitchhikers.wikia.com/wiki/Infinite_Improbability_Drive

Similarly, the Broncos chance of victory appear hopeless nearly every week--until we reach the point victory is virtually impossible. Once victory is ONLY possible through a series of virtually impossible events, their occurrence is seemingly certain. Paradoxically, victory becomes MORE CERTAIN as it becomes LESS LIKELY.

It must be maddening for Fox, whose whole philosophy is the lowest risk, highest percentage reliable football, to continually find himself in situations where he not only NEEDS the riskiest most desperately gambling play, but it CONSISTENTLY WORKS. It's like telling your kids to stay in school, work hard and do what's right when all their favorite (and wealthiest) bands are full of drug dealing high school dropouts. :tongue:

:shots: :confused:

horsepig
12-12-2011, 03:14 AM
Go Broncos!