PDA

View Full Version : Cutler wants to go to the SB

Spiritguy
01-30-2009, 10:08 PM
His eyes have seen the glory. And it’s somebody else’s.

So Broncos quarterback Jay Cutler has no plans to watch Sunday’s Super Bowl because his team isn’t in it.

And having just completed his third NFL season and still waiting to make his first playoff start, Cutler certainly wants to be a part of the playoff party, but on the field, not in the stands.

“I haven’t been in a playoff or a bowl situation in eight years,” Cutler said, counting back to a state championship team at Heritage Hills High School in his senior season at the southern Indiana school.

“It sucks, it’s horrible. In high school you win state, you’re always making a push into the postseason, always been successful in sports. Come to Vandy, struggle there, come close my senior year (to a bowl game) and get to the NFL and go to an organization like the Broncos who’ve always been pretty dominant and struggle there and not make the playoffs. It’s tough, it’s really tough.”

With a new coach and plenty of work ahead of him as he learns a new offense, Cutler sees breaking the current Broncos’ postseason drought — one that cost the franchise’s winningest coach, Mike Shanahan, his job earlier this month — as the biggest item on his things-to-do list.

Asked Friday if he would trade his upcoming Pro Bowl appearance for a spot in the Super Bowl, Cutler simply said, “Any day of the week.”

In the Tampa area to visit children with diabetes as part of new initiative with his foundation, Cutler said the fact the Broncos have not made the postseason for three consecutive years — two of those with him as the starting quarterback — is at the forefront of his soon-to-be filled calendar.

“We’re not (far away),” Cutler said. “You know in this league, you got to get hot at the right time; obviously you’ve got to put yourself in a good position come December. If you get on a roll in December, play good football at the right time, you can definitely make a run at it.

“Pittsburgh did it a couple years ago and won the Super Bowl. They were a sixth seed and made a run. So we’re close, if you don’t make it happen, it’s been three years since I’ve been there and we haven’t made the playoffs. Mr. Bowlen has high standards.”

Both sides to blame

Cutler said the Broncos had too many turnovers on offense and didn’t score enough once inside their opponents’ 20-yard line and too many troubles on defense to have the AFC’s slot in the Super Bowl.

The Broncos surrendered more than 400 points for the second consecutive season and were at or near the bottom of the league’s rankings in every major defensive category.

“It’s very seldom that you see an offense that’s high powered that doesn’t have a good defense go all the way,” Cutler said. “Because sooner or later you’re going to get stopped and you’re going to need a defense to help you out.”

Cutler has spoken at length with new head coach Josh McDaniels on two separate occasions, the day after McDaniels was hired in Denver and Wednesday, just after Cutler arrived in Tampa. “It went really well,” Cutler said. “We talked about a lot of stuff, he’s very energetic, when I got off the phone I was excited, I really was ... just talked to him about the importance of our relationship.”

Cutler had been vocal in Shanahan’s departure initially offering, “I’m not happy at all,” but with a few weeks having passed and having spoken to Bowlen, Shanahan and McDaniels, Cutler said he understood why Bowlen made the change.

“I think it’s a good thing,” Cutler said. “Looking back on it, obviously everyone was shocked to see Mike go. But a month removed from it, I can kind of see the reasoning why he had to make the move. You’re at a place so long the stuff gets repetitive, you hear the same stories, the same talks. It’s time to move on.

“(I) talked to Mike after the whole thing went down. He sounded good. He’s disappointed; I think he understands kind of the reasoning. I think he was ready to go somewhere else and do something else.”

McDaniels said this week he didn’t expect to meet with the team as a whole for the first time until March, with Cutler, Brandon Marshall and Casey Wiegmann set to be at the Pro Bowl for a week as well as the scouting combine set for later in February.

Coming together in March

The Broncos, like any team that has hired a new coach, will get an extra mini-camp in the offseason and Cutler said he expected to report to work in the new offense in March.

McDaniels has discussed terminology that will be in the new offense with Cutler as well as the general principles, but Cutler has not yet seen a new playbook.

“All of it is going to be his own terminology, which is going to be different,” Cutler said. “We’re pretty young as an offense, a lot of guys came in with me, been in the same system for the last three years and were starting to get pretty good at it so we’ll have to take a couple steps back.

“We’ve got an extra minicamp to make that happen and we’ll have to work a little harder this offseason ... I’ll have to be working closely with Josh because we only have so much time to learn this. When I first got to Denver I had that whole first year to learn the system, we grew gradually. As I was capable to learn the system, we kind of grew with it. I think Brandon grew with me and Tony (Scheffler) and all those guys and now we’re going to jam it into a six-month period and make it happen.”

Cutler added he was almost certain Wiegmann, who had said after the season he would consider retirement, would return to the Broncos for the ’09 season.

“Casey’s coming back,” Cutler said. “I’m 95 percent certain. He wants to play, he loves it, he enjoys Denver, he enjoys playing with us. I don’t think we’ll have any trouble getting him to play. I’ve talked to Casey numerous times this offseason. I was excited to see him go to the Pro Bowl.”

http://www.rockymountainnews.com/news/2009/jan/30/broncos-cutler-wants-to-go-to-super-bowl-just/?partner=RSS

jrelway
01-30-2009, 10:31 PM
cripes. i cant wait till next season.

Superchop 7
01-30-2009, 10:33 PM
OK Jay,

Start working on mechanics.

Learn to draw teams offsides.

Learn what a pump-fake is.

Learn to read progression.

Keep an eye on Royal.

Thats what it takes......do your job.

56crash
01-30-2009, 10:46 PM
A mounth ago he was pissed I will hold my joy...

muse
01-31-2009, 05:39 AM
Mind control drugs in his insulin. You heard it here first.

broncophan
01-31-2009, 06:12 AM
"I haven't been in a playoff or bowl situation in 8 years"........is all you need to know about that article..........as I have said, the kid hasn't won/been on a winning team.... consistantly since his high school days.

And now ,getting a new coach,.......he has a new offense/new personnel to adjust to.

Oh well........enjoy the pro bowl kid...

lex
01-31-2009, 07:35 AM
Let me guess. He wants to pass for 5,000 yards AND go to the SB.

Tebow4Ever
01-31-2009, 08:55 AM
Hopefully he can keep that desire going strong into the season

ColtsOwnDonks
01-31-2009, 10:56 AM
Mark gramatica also wants to go to the superbowl....Don't think so buddies.

Northman
01-31-2009, 10:58 AM
http://pictopia.com/perl/get_image?provider_id=428&size=550x550_mb&ptp_photo_id=6064329

ColtsOwnDonks
01-31-2009, 11:00 AM
Isn't that kid like 20 something now? I bet that lady has recently signed up on AARP

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Northman
01-31-2009, 11:02 AM
You shouldnt diss your own family like that man. Tacky. lol

NightTrainLayne
01-31-2009, 11:04 AM
Mark gramatica also wants to go to the superbowl....Don't think so buddies.

Who is Mark Gramatica? What's keeping him from going to the superbowl? Could he not afford tickets?

Will Manning have his own suite at the SB this year again? He could make it three in a row.

TXBRONC
01-31-2009, 11:09 AM
Who is Mark Gramatica? What's keeping him from going to the superbowl? Could he not afford tickets?

Will Manning have his own suite at the SB this year again? He could make it three in a row.

I don't know if he's going to the Super Bow this year. I was sure I heard he was heading back to Mississippi to marry his first cousin Ima Hogg.

honz
01-31-2009, 12:35 PM
"I haven't been in a playoff or bowl situation in 8 years"........is all you need to know about that article..........as I have said, the kid hasn't won/been on a winning team.... consistantly since his high school days.

And now ,getting a new coach,.......he has a new offense/new personnel to adjust to.

Oh well........enjoy the pro bowl kid...

He played for Vanderbilt in the SEC after winning the state championship in high school...when was the last time Vandy went to a bowl game? He was the only thing they had going for them his senior year and he was pretty close to carrying them to a bowl berth.

He has also led us to come from behind victories and he has had several last minute game winning drives. He obviously hates to lose with how upset he gets when the Broncos are playing poorly or losing. I dunno, the kid seems like a winner to me.

oobehr
01-31-2009, 01:09 PM
I love hearing this talk from all the players. Damn I hope they deliver.
And isn't martin grammatica the former kicker for the saints?

Broncospsycho77
01-31-2009, 02:36 PM
Technically... Vandy won a bowl game last season.

Watchthemiddle
02-01-2009, 11:20 PM
Technically... Vandy won a bowl game last season.

Without Jay as the QB? No way. I am not believing this report.

:coffee:

Watchthemiddle
02-01-2009, 11:21 PM
OK Jay,

Start working on mechanics.

Learn to draw teams offsides.

Learn what a pump-fake is.

Learn to read progression.

Keep an eye on Royal.

Thats what it takes......do your job.

A few more...

Learn how to be a leader ( you are the QB, just saying )

Learn how to win ( you have never been a winner therefore do not know what it takes to be one )

Learn how to stop pouting

Sincerly,

WTM

omac
02-02-2009, 01:15 AM
Hopefully he can keep that desire going strong into the season

I don't think we have to worry about that. His motivation is evident in his work ethic, and his character has always shined through in adversity. :cheers:

We're blessed to have one of the best of the young QBs, and now, most of the league knows it. Too bad he'll always be under-appreciated by some Denver fans, but we're a lot like Philly in that way. :D

honz
02-02-2009, 01:23 AM
I don't think we have to worry about that. His motivation is evident in his work ethic, and his character has always shined through in adversity. :cheers:

We're blessed to have one of the best of the young QBs, and now, most of the league knows it. Too bad he'll always be under-appreciated by some Denver fans, but we're a lot like Philly in that way. :D

Jay will always be criticized until he wins a Super Bowl...whether he deserves it or not.

Overtime
02-02-2009, 04:27 AM
He played for Vanderbilt in the SEC after winning the state championship in high school...when was the last time Vandy went to a bowl game? He was the only thing they had going for them his senior year and he was pretty close to carrying them to a bowl berth.

He has also led us to come from behind victories and he has had several last minute game winning drives. He obviously hates to lose with how upset he gets when the Broncos are playing poorly or losing. I dunno, the kid seems like a winner to me.

prior to this season, Vandy hadn't been to a Bowl Game in 26 years. the last time was 1983, and they didn't win either.

but they did win this year against Boston College.

all I can say is go get 'em Jay!! prove all the Jake the Fake Supporters wrong, and shut the naysayers up with your play!!!

let's go get that Ring!!!!!

omac
02-02-2009, 06:28 AM
Jay will always be criticized until he wins a Super Bowl...whether he deserves it or not.

Heck, John was, even after reaching the SB a few times. The fans now are probably a whole lot similar to the fans then. :D

scott.475
02-03-2009, 12:13 AM
I have said this before, and I bring it up again now because there seems to be a lot of questioning of Jay's leadership and winning abilities. Yes, Jay has his issues, but you know, every team...EVERY TEAM...needs a defense that can still give their team a win even if their offense only scores 20 points or less a couple times a year. Our D allowed other teams to score more than 25 points 10 times this year..10 TIMES! The Chiefs only allowed that to happen 8 times, the lowly Raiders only let that happen 6 times, the Cleveland Browns only did that 8 times.

So, if we field a decent D and Jay still continues to make the mistakes he does, then yes, he has some problems I suppose. But for now I am still willing to give him the benefit of the doubt, as I really do think he is trying to carry the team, and as we all know, QBs tend to play a little more dangerously when trying to come from behind, etc. I know it is very early yet, and I am not at all trying to say he is a Brett Favre, but it could be that Jay is more a Favre type QB than an Elway type.

ktrain
02-03-2009, 01:01 AM
So, if we field a decent D and Jay still continues to make the mistakes he does, then yes, he has some problems I suppose. But for now I am still willing to give him the benefit of the doubt, as I really do think he is trying to carry the team, and as we all know, QBs tend to play a little more dangerously when trying to come from behind, etc. I know it is very early yet, and I am not at all trying to say he is a Brett Favre, but it could be that Jay is more a Favre type QB than an Elway type.

I would take it one step farther and say we can easily win a superbowl with Jay making the mistakes he makes now and be fine....IF WE HAD A DEFENSE WORTH TWO SHITS!

Ben Whathisburger had a FOUR int game this season and they won the superbowl. Warner threw 5 picks in one game earlier this season - so bad that Lienart replaced him. Yes, Jay had a couple games where he was slightly off, even threw a few bad picks, but overall, HE PLAYED GREAT!

Believe me, you give Jay Pittsburgh's defense and we probably lose only one or two games all year and cruise in the superbowl

Just saying.......