PDA

View Full Version : Football Degree? Basketball Degree?

MOtorboat
01-30-2009, 01:57 PM
Yesterday, I joked about Brandon Marshall's degree being in "Football" at UCF, in a thread. Well, I've actually thought about my comment some, and have thought about this before.

Why don't they offer a "Football" Degree, or "Basketball" Degree for these players. Isn't it a university's job to prepare these young men for their future career? What if their future career is football or basketball (or baseball, or whatever)?

I know it's a risky road to go down, but you could come up with a partial physical fitness/business/marketing curriculum that would prepare them for the NFL/NBA/MLB. Plus, you'd teach coaching classes, and game classes, on top of their extracurricular activities.

Hell, the universities practically do it already. I believe it was at the University of Michigan where they have a degree in "General Studies" and .001% of the student body majored in it. And it was something like 35 of their football players majored in it.

Just a thought.

OB
01-30-2009, 03:13 PM
But when that part of their life is over what would they have to fall back on?

Broncospsycho77
01-30-2009, 03:15 PM
They do.

It's under the jargon "Communications" or "General Studies". Just look at the program of any major university team... all of the stars have the same major.

FWIW, I know that coaches like Jim Tressel give very rigorous lessons to new players on how to talk to the press, behave during press conferences, choose agents, etc.

turftoad
01-30-2009, 03:18 PM

Um.... coaching.

claymore
01-30-2009, 03:20 PM
Yesterday, I joked about Brandon Marshall's degree being in "Football" at UCF, in a thread. Well, I've actually thought about my comment some, and have thought about this before.

Why don't they offer a "Football" Degree, or "Basketball" Degree for these players. Isn't it a university's job to prepare these young men for their future career? What if their future career is football or basketball (or baseball, or whatever)?

I know it's a risky road to go down, but you could come up with a partial physical fitness/business/marketing curriculum that would prepare them for the NFL/NBA/MLB. Plus, you'd teach coaching classes, and game classes, on top of their extracurricular activities.

Hell, the universities practically do it already. I believe it was at the University of Michigan where they have a degree in "General Studies" and .001% of the student body majored in it. And it was something like 35 of their football players majored in it.

Just a thought.
The reason they dont do it MO, is because there isnt a single sports fan in America that wouldnt go after that degree. If they offered it to the players, they would have to offer it to everyone else.

Broncospsycho77
01-30-2009, 03:21 PM

The best: coaching.

The good enough: CBS/Fox analysts.

The ones who can read: ESPN analysts.

The rest: Speakers at high schools.

sneakers
02-01-2009, 06:28 PM
I remember when Ron Dayne was at the UW, the joke was that he was majoring in Agriculture Sciences, and he was from New Jersey!

skycoyote
02-02-2009, 05:08 AM
I thought basketweaving was a football degree.

Thnikkaman
02-02-2009, 01:31 PM
I remember when Ron Dayne was at the UW, the joke was that he was majoring in Agriculture Sciences, and he was from New Jersey!

New Jersey is known as the Garden state for a reason. From what I know, there is a lot of farming that goes on there.