PDA

View Full Version : Cutler on the Dan Patrick Show

Thnikkaman
01-29-2009, 11:42 AM
Cutler was just on the Dan Patric show. Here are the excerpts. The podcast should be available in an hour or so.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/danpatrick/

Broncos quarterback Jay Cutler joined the show to discuss his new coach and Super Bowl week.

-- Dan asked Cutler if he talked to recently fired coach Mike Shanahan. "I talked to Mike the day after he got fired," Cutler said. "He wasn't mad. He didn't seem that upset. He seemed like he was in a little bit of shock. He seemed ready to move on."

-- Cutler and Dan talked about whether Shanahan held him back. Cutler said Shanahan might have needed some time to trust him.

-- No surprise, Cutler is a big fan of official Ed Hochuli, whose bad call gave the Broncos a win over the Chargers. They started talking about Hochuli, and Cutler made it clear he wouldn't mess with the jacked-up official.

-- Dan referenced the Broncos' late-season struggles. Cutler said, "offense or defense?" and then tried to retract it.

Fan in Exile
01-29-2009, 11:53 AM
I can totally see his comments about the struggles getting blown all out of proportion now. I don't think it's going to matter in the least because we're getting a whole new defense. Or maybe I should say that we are getting a defense.

TXBRONC
01-29-2009, 12:34 PM
Has Patrick asked anything about talking with McDaniels?

Thnikkaman
01-29-2009, 12:50 PM

No.

Nomad
01-29-2009, 12:50 PM
Cutler will be on Mike and Mike tomorrow morning @ 8:25, not sure ET or CT!

claymore
01-29-2009, 12:54 PM
No.

Cutler had to request that. No way would someone interview Cutler, and not think that was a hot topic.

Nomad
01-29-2009, 12:57 PM

I wish he would have seems odd that Patrick didn't mentioned anything about the HC. Oh well, maybe tomorrow morning while Jay is live on the set with Mike and Mike, they'll ask him! BTW, it's 8:25am eastern time!!

LawDog
01-29-2009, 01:43 PM
Podcast is up. DP started off the segment with McD due to a muff on the intro and they never really went back to it. Solid interview - Jay can be really funny when he wants.

honz
01-29-2009, 02:13 PM
Cutler will also be on Jim Rome is Burning this afternoon on ESPN. I believe it is on at 2:30 MST. They'll probably have the video up on espn.com later tonight or tomorrow as well.

Bozo Jr.
01-29-2009, 02:59 PM
Now that he has decided to do the "ESPN Circuit" or "Circus" for that matter, maybe he should drop by the Denver Post and let us fans know what he really thinks. Hey Jay, there's media in Colorado too!

fcspikeit
01-29-2009, 03:11 PM
Now that he has decided to do the "ESPN Circuit" or "Circus" for that matter, maybe he should drop by the Denver Post and let us fans know what he really thinks. Hey Jay, there's media in Colorado too!

Living in Idaho, it's all the same to me.. Except I have a better chance of watching him on ESPN then a do the local Colorado TV stations..

honz
01-29-2009, 03:40 PM
Cutler is also supposedly going to be on NFL Live (or SportsCenter Special as it is listed on the guide) in a few minutes. Tune in to ESPN now if you want to see it.

fcspikeit
01-29-2009, 04:01 PM
Cutler is also supposedly going to be on NFL Live (or SportsCenter Special as it is listed on the guide) in a few minutes. Tune in to ESPN now if you want to see it.

I didn't see anything about that? NFL live is coming up, maybe he was to be on there but they didn't list him in the preview..

honz
01-29-2009, 04:05 PM
I didn't see anything about that? NFL live is coming up, maybe he was to be on there but they didn't list him in the preview..

He was just on. They just had him talk about Pitt's defense and what they try to do since we played them last year. He then talked about what Arizona needs to do in order to combat the Pitt D. He was basically a guest analyst.

Poet
01-29-2009, 04:17 PM
He looks like a great young QB, but his mouth is going to get him in trouble.

RunYouOver
01-29-2009, 05:03 PM
The interview on the Dan Patrick show was really funny...a different side of Jay...

Didn't see him on Rome or NFL live, anyone have any links?

Buff
01-29-2009, 05:04 PM

Speaking of mouths who are going to get them in trouble...

TXBRONC
01-29-2009, 05:25 PM

Doesn't sound like he said anything controversial.

honz
01-29-2009, 05:40 PM
Personally, I appreciate Jay's candidness. It is sorta refreshing since most professional athletes are scared to speak their mind.

Ziggy
01-29-2009, 05:45 PM
The interview on the Dan Patrick show was really funny...a different side of Jay...

I saw a small part of the Rome interview. Jay was the first to go on record on his saying that he thinks the Cardinals will win. Then they talked about what Arizona needs to do Sunday to pull it off.

dogfish
01-29-2009, 05:54 PM
Doesn't sound like he said anything controversial.

oh, i'm sure he did-- they probably just cut out the segment where he trashed mcdaniels, threw everyone else on the team under the bus and demanded a trade. . . .

honz
01-29-2009, 06:00 PM
oh, i'm sure he did-- they probably just cut out the segment where he trashed mcdaniels, threw everyone else on the team under the bus and demanded a trade. . . .
They also threw out the segment when he stomped off stage crying after Rome asked him how he felt about losing Bates to USC.

Poet
01-29-2009, 06:12 PM
Speaking of mouths who are going to get them in trouble...

Yes, criticising and telling the truth about a Broncos player on a Broncos message board will get me into trouble.

The entire answer with the "The offense or defense" which it even said he tried to retract kind of answers the questions.

LawDog
01-29-2009, 06:40 PM
Yes, criticising and telling the truth about a Broncos player on a Broncos message board will get me into trouble.

The entire answer with the "The offense or defense" which it even said he tried to retract kind of answers the questions.

Listen to the actual interview rather than relying on a written summary. Even though Jay himself says the words "retract" and "take that back" it comes across completely different. He was kidding around with DP in a very light and fun interview. It's not like he was calling out the D at all. But, continue the meme that he has a problem with his mouth filter if you like. That is your perogative. I for one don't buy it in this situation.

broncobryce
01-29-2009, 07:02 PM

Would you like to retract that statement? :D

topscribe
01-29-2009, 07:27 PM

For the record, you were not smacking, and no one here should take it as that.

As to Jay, you're probably right: He will probably always cause himself some
problems with his candor. That's always the case when someone is brutally
honest. But I admire a person such as that . . . maybe because I am one of
them . . . even though some do not appreciate me for that. But Jay will be OK. ;)

-----

honz
01-29-2009, 07:43 PM

Jay said after that comment that the offense sucked down the stretch too...

Buff
01-29-2009, 08:32 PM
I just listened to it. Dan Patrick rules. Cutler was funny, even Tubby couldn't criticize his performance.

omac
01-29-2009, 09:24 PM
Listen to the actual interview rather than relying on a written summary. Even though Jay himself says the words "retract" and "take that back" it comes across completely different. He was kidding around with DP in a very light and fun interview. It's not like he was calling out the D at all. But, continue the meme that he has a problem with his mouth filter if you like. That is your perogative. I for one don't buy it in this situation.

See, this is what's lost between reading what was said, and listening or watching an interview as it goes down. In a lot of interviews, Jay injects his sense of humor, which is sometimes on the dry side. If you don't get it, you might take it as a serious comment.

At the start of the interview, he was on Patrick's case for his muff-up regarding McDaniels, yet he wasn't serious at all.

But reporters in general will take something out of context in order to make it a bigger story, and some people bite too easily.

TXBRONC
01-29-2009, 09:37 PM
See, this is what's lost between reading what was said, and listening or watching an interview as it goes down. In a lot of interviews, Jay injects his sense of humor, which is sometimes on the dry side. If you don't get it, you might take it as a serious comment.

At the start of the interview, he was on Patrick's case for his muff-up regarding McDaniels, yet he wasn't serious at all.

But reporters in general will take something out of context in order to make it a bigger story, and some people bite too easily.

That is very true, some reporters will take things out of context and some readers will bite too easily. Then there are those that just flat take will take the negative approach when there is nothing there.

Poet
01-29-2009, 10:13 PM

Oddly enough almost everytime a fan of a team has a player on their team that makes an oopsy, they go to their aide. That's fine, I did it with Ocho Cinco. But oddly enough he has said and done several things that make me NOT give him the benefit of the doubt. /shrug.

fcspikeit
01-29-2009, 10:50 PM

Cutler on Rome is Burning (http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=3870661&categoryid=2459789)

TXBRONC
01-29-2009, 10:56 PM
I think interview cleared up a few things. First, of all Jay has no problem with McDaniel and sound like he's very excited about the new offense. Second, it seem crystal clear to me that Jay's comments about his arm being stronger than John's is in no way a slap at Elway.

honz
01-29-2009, 11:20 PM
I think interview cleared up a few things. First, of all Jay has no problem with McDaniel and sound like he's very excited about the new offense. Second, it seem crystal clear to me that Jay's comments about his arm being stronger than John's is no way a slap at Elway.
Both things that I have been saying all along...but not many seemed to want to listen to me. :(

TXBRONC
01-29-2009, 11:21 PM
Both things that I have been saying all along...but not many seemed to want to listen to me. :(

You're not alone, I've been in the boat all along. :salute:

Nomad
01-30-2009, 08:35 AM
Mike and Mike did ask Cutler about McDaniels and Cutler sounded upbeat and positive. He said after the Pro Bowl, they'll get together and start trying to get to know each other better and work on the future. Good to see this! But you know as they are interviewing Cutler, they were showing the Patriots giving the BRONCOS an asswhoopin from this past year!:rolleyes: Typical ESPN!!

CoachChaz
01-30-2009, 08:39 AM
Anything else of relevance in the interview?

Nomad
01-30-2009, 08:46 AM

They talked about how 7 RBs went down this year, then the defense had players getting injured, but first thing Cutler said after the question was that shouldn't be an excuse because players should be able to step up. They were talking about the 3 game skid at the end of the year. Then they asked him about the SB and his community service with diabetes and children! The interview was short and sweet, but Cutler's demeanor was positive and he's looking forward to moving on!

TXBRONC
01-30-2009, 09:08 AM
Dang it I was hoping to listen to Cutler's interview on Mike and Mike. I thought since the show is simulcast on television that I would just watch but unfortunately the stupid Australian Open was on instead. :tsk:

tomjonesrocks
01-30-2009, 10:36 AM
Patrick's a dork.

Mature interview from Cutler on Rome though. Rome's 10 times the interviewer Patrick is, clearly.

Nothing controversial in either.

broncobryce
01-30-2009, 12:17 PM
Patrick's a dork.

Mature interview from Cutler on Rome though. Rome's 10 times the interviewer Patrick is, clearly.

Nothing controversial in either.

I love Dan Patrick and Jim Rome. Patrick cracks more jokes and Rome asks questions no other journalist would think of. I wish McD would go on Rome.

fcspikeit
01-30-2009, 01:57 PM

Cutler on Mike and Mike (http://sports.espn.go.com/stations/player?id=3871701)

Ziggy
01-30-2009, 02:11 PM
I love Dan Patrick and Jim Rome. Patrick cracks more jokes and Rome asks questions no other journalist would think of. I wish McD would go on Rome.

McD was on Rome about a week or two ago.

http://www.jimrome.com/home/audio_archive_list/nflfootball2/josh.html

I think you have to be a member to listen.

TXBRONC
01-30-2009, 03:31 PM
Cutler on Mike and Mike (http://sports.espn.go.com/stations/player?id=3871701)

Thanks FC.

I like the fact that when Jay gets back from the Pro Bowl he's going be hanging out with his head coach.

topscribe
01-30-2009, 03:50 PM
McD was on Rome about a week or two ago.

http://www.jimrome.com/home/audio_archive_list/nflfootball2/josh.html

I think you have to be a member to listen.

Well, I don't blame Rome for wanting to make a few bucks. But I'm not buying.

But thanks for posting, anyway, Zig. :beer:

-----

Ziggy
01-30-2009, 04:05 PM
Well, I don't blame Rome for wanting to make a few bucks. But I'm not buying.

But thanks for posting, anyway, Zig. :beer:

-----

That's why I haven't heard it either. I can't stand listening to the guy for free.