PDA

View Full Version : Time for a line change.

underrated29
10-09-2007, 11:40 AM
just like in hockey. when the line isnt producing you switch it up a little. Try to create a spark.

It doesnt have to be permanent, but i think we should try switching dj and webster. Maybe just for a quarter, see if it helps at all. maybe it does maybe it doesnt. Where we are at currently we need to do something.

SR
10-09-2007, 11:52 AM
Putting Webster in the middle is something we should have done from the get go.

Medford Bronco
10-09-2007, 12:05 PM
Putting Webster in the middle is something we should have done from the get go.

Also lets try to get Daniel Graham the ball more.

he was pretty good in NE, especially in the red zone.

Also some more carries for Selvin Young as well.

On defense I agree.

aslo need to cheat up a safety more the stop the run.
dare other teams to beat us with the pass.

underrated29
10-09-2007, 12:14 PM
yep, that would be good too. med.

lets hope they start making some changes soon (formation wise and postiion wise.) Not roster wise, we dont need that. We just need to shuffle some people around.

SR
10-09-2007, 12:30 PM

On defense I agree.

Oddly enough, with the exception of the long run at the end of the first half and the long run in the 4th quarter, we did a good job containing LT. I was actually impressed with our run D on Sunday, like I said, with the exception of those two long runs.

Skinny
10-09-2007, 01:11 PM
Seriously, does anyone remember Webster filling in for Al Wilson last year in the San Fran game??

There's a reason Websters not in the middle and rightfully so. Saying he was a 'non-factor' was a compliment. :eek:

You can shuffle the LBs aroung all you want but until those guys up front get their game straight, it's really not going to matter.

BigBroncLove
10-09-2007, 01:16 PM
just like in hockey. when the line isnt producing you switch it up a little. Try to create a spark.

It doesnt have to be permanent, but i think we should try switching dj and webster. Maybe just for a quarter, see if it helps at all. maybe it does maybe it doesnt. Where we are at currently we need to do something.

Well DJ has been off and on. Sometimes he runs himself out of the play. Other times he's right in the mix. Webster for his part has been doing the same thing. I don't feel Websters level of play is superior over DJ's at all so far. Infact he missed several tackles last week when he was able to get into the backfield, had a costly penalty, and was still missing gap assignments.

That being said, somehitng still isn't working in Denver. IF (and that's a big if) the LB core is to get mixed up i'd prefer to have DJ moved to WILL (weak side), Webster to MIKE (middle), and DD Lewis given his shot at SAM (strong side). Gold hasb en making a lot of mistakes, and against the chargers when he gave up that huge pass and just laughed and smiled baout it afterwards made me think his attitude might need adjusting. Gold is the worst LB out there IMO and I think the Broncos would profit from putting DJ back in his old WILL position, where he excelled in his rookie year.

Then there is JAmie Winborn who was brought in, and he is a big LB (242 lbs) that fits into the SAM position. I think acquiring him was more of ST and depth issue, but some people seem to think he was brought in for more then that. We'll have to see.... but I personally am skeptical about bringing in new blood to do anything in BAtes system without a lot of time to adjust as our current LB core has required.

Grover
10-09-2007, 01:19 PM
If there are any strong leaders left in the locker room, what this team needs is a meeting called by the team leaders, not the coaches. They need to yell a bit and tell people to get off their lazy butts and play like professional athletes and have a little pride in the uniform they're wearing.

(Whew! I feel better now)

Coaches can coach and players can play. We need players. The team is going to have to find some way to gain an attitude (an attitude of something other than ineptitude) and rally around themselves.

I wouldn't make any position changes right now. I'd let the team have the bye week to get their minds straight and play well against Pittsburgh.

If we still play for crap, then I'd look at switching Webster and Williams, make sure Marcus Thomas takes as many snaps at DT as possible, and I'd have Lynch cheat up in the box.

The offense needs to get better as well - score points and stay on the field to give our defense chance to rest. I'd call more Quarterback roll outs, and do short passes and screen passes. I also like our Receiver reverses. The O-line will be cobbled together with inexperienced players in some unfamiliar positions, so it will be interesting to see how it all shakes out.

underrated29
10-09-2007, 01:21 PM
Seriously, does anyone remember Webster filling in for Al Wilson last year in the San Fran game??

There's a reason Websters not in the middle and rightfully so. Saying he was a 'non-factor' was a compliment. :eek:

You can shuffle the LBs aroung all you want but until those guys up front get their game straight, it's really not going to matter.

dline too. But they have already started sitting guys and playing others. I think they will get the lineup they want there (with what we have that is). So now its time to switch up lb a little imo.

We dont need a bunch of big drastic changes (well maybe we do, but we cant with the guys we got) so we should do several minor changes. Like dline and LB. Heck maybe a 3-4 might even be worth while to test. (probably not)

BigBroncLove
10-09-2007, 01:27 PM
dline too. But they have already started sitting guys and playing others. I think they will get the lineup they want there (with what we have that is). So now its time to switch up lb a little imo.

We dont need a bunch of big drastic changes (well maybe we do, but we cant with the guys we got) so we should do several minor changes. Like dline and LB. Heck maybe a 3-4 might even be worth while to test. (probably not)

We definately don't have the personel for a 3-4. 3-4 requires a big NT who eat Olinemen for lunch, and while Sam adams might be able to fill this role, we don't have anyone behind him who can and Adams is definately not a player who wil lplay every down. Then you require 2 large DE's (who hover usualyl just below 300 lbs) who merge speed and power. After that big LB's at the outside position to play with a ton of power and good speed (like Merrimen, Adalius Thomas, each are around 270 if I am not mistaken). and Solid, tall regular LB's in the middle.

We have no DE's that fit that scheme (all are smaller speedier DE's) and while some might be able to transition Dumeville and Mos to be LB's in a 3-4 I think it would be a bad mvoe because they would have to also be able to deal with coverage assignments. Something they don't practice or do currently.... a 3-4 IMO would take all our best personel and play against their strenght (Doom and Moss specifically). Besides trying to incorporate an entirely different system mid season would only have terrible effects IMO.

no 3-4 would be bad idea IMO, even though I know your not ot serious about it....

Joel
10-09-2007, 07:26 PM
Yeah, I love a 3-4, especially in the modern short pass oriented League, but if we had three or four quality 3-4 OLBs we'd probably have one or two quality MLBs to start there and at SLB. For those not paying attention, we don't. We also don't have a pair of good NTs, and you can't expect a 3-4 NT to play all game. Speaking of NTs, that's what we need to change on the line, though a MLB candidate better than Webster wouldn't hurt at SLB either. D.J.'s looking better, but Webster, IMHO, is not. He's got a decent number of tackles, but most are 7 or 8 yards downfield on runs. Not good enough, not by half. I've heard folks say the '9er game was because he was new and injured (also a popular pre-season excuse for our run D); what's the excuse now...?

jlarsiii
10-09-2007, 07:42 PM
I think that we can all agree that something needs to be done with our defensive front 7. At this point in time I really don't think it matters what you do with the personnel that we currently have. It just isn't working. We could go on and on all day about why it isn't working, and I think that we can all agree on what would be on that list.

None of our LBs are getting it done. I don't know whether prolonging the DJ experiment will do any good. I personally don't feel that Gold or Webster are getting the job done. Of course it is hard to get a definitive read on them because our DTs suck so badly.

Unfortunately, if we address these obvious needs in the offseason it will put us behind in terms of bringing in new talent to develop in future areas of need. I can forsee that by the time we get the LBs and DTs fixed that we will be in desparate need of offensive linemen and safeties because we don't have enough draft picks or FA money to cover everything. It is just an unfortunate situation that looks highly likely that it will perpetuate itself.

TXBRONC
10-09-2007, 09:13 PM
just like in hockey. when the line isn't producing you switch it up a little. Try to create a spark.

It doesn't have to be permanent, but i think we should try switching DJ and Webster. Maybe just for a quarter, see if it helps at all. maybe it does maybe it doesn't. Where we are at currently we need to do something.

In my opinion it shouldn't be done even temporarily D.J. is like 4th in the entire League in tackles and after watching Webster give a half-hearted effort to tackle Tomlinson absolutely no thank you.

DenBronx
10-09-2007, 10:11 PM
In my opinion it shouldn't be done even temporarily D.J. is like 4th in the entire League in tackles and after watching Webster give a half-hearted effort to tackle Tomlinson absolutely no thank you.

DJ is playing his guts out. He has 42 tackles which is above average at this point in the year yet he is being called out. Clearly he has made a 180 degree turn since preseason.

omac
10-09-2007, 10:50 PM

On defense I agree.

I don't get why, on a critical drive where we settled for a FG, Selvin Young was targeted both on 2nd down which he dropped, and 3rd down where he was tackled short. Why wasn't Henry playing those instead? Was he already injured? Or even Graham, who's pretty sure-handed and knows has the experience to find the 1st down marker.