PDA

View Full Version : Football Gameplan's Broncos v Bears Wk 14 Preview Video

EmDiggy
12-08-2011, 03:42 PM
Broncos vs Bears Video Preview (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gXzbAoQ75lE)

Good afternoon Broncos fans! Good luck this week!

Em

Joel
12-08-2011, 07:35 PM
Good analysis, but I'm surprised you didn't say more about the Bears offensive line. With Forte out, Hanie starting and Miller probably back opposite Dumervil I expect major problems for arguably the NFLs worst offensive line. I've watched enough Cowboys games to know Barber can play very well, but if Denvers fast front seven doesn't make the mistake of overpursuing I don't think he'll have the blocking to accomplish much.

That would force Chicago to fall back on Hanie, which generally favors us, but I'm concerned about Goodman after the way Ponder chewed him up last week (until Goodman got his revenge with the pick at the end.) Miller and Doom rocketing at Hanie if Chicago can't run will encourage those short to medium passes you mentioned, and the slants in particular gave Goodman so much trouble last week it looked like Champ started taking his assignments (leaving a previously covered WR open.) Champ's an incredible CB, but there's only one of him; he can no longer drop his man, cross the field and pick a pass to someone else the way he did a few years ago.

Everyone keeps talking about the threat Peppers represents to Denvers offense, but the fast, powerful and smart 4-3 MLB created to deal with the equally versatile T quarterback still seems the best way to beat him. A great Mike like Urlacher is the ideal choice to spy a QB like Tebow, capable of punishing him in the running game and intercepting or sacking him in the passing game. I don't expect Tebow or McGahee to have much success running on the the Bears strong and quick front seven, and the game could come down to who has the weakest combination of offensive line and defensive secondary. I think that's Chicago, but not by much.

Tebow's not likely to have as many wide open receivers as in Minnesota, yet one good passing game is not enough to convince good defensive coaches like Luvie Smith they shouldn't focus on stopping his rushing threat. With the Bears poor secondary the most logical defence against Denvers passing is to blitz our young QB hard and hope to contain and smother him if he tries to scramble out of it. The Bears could penalize Tebow underneath by showing blitz before dropping into coverage at the snap, but if he recognizes that it's precisely the time he'll run, and the onus will be on Peppers and Urlacher to stop him.

I do think we'll once again be forced to pass, but if Tebow can maintain his excellent ball protection, the Bears secondary looks very vulnerable, especially deep. Decker remains a threat, and if Demaryius Thomas can show last weeks success was more than blown coverages the game could get away from Chicago in the Mile High air. This could be a real test of how far Tebow's come, not just in getting through progressions and reading coverage schemes, but in quickly reading blitzes and getting rid of the ball in time to avoid a sack without surrendering an interception.

For the first time in a while I really like our chances this week, but the Bears didn't host last years NFC Championship or climb to a 7-3 record this season solely because of Cutler and Forte. Winning this one would go a long way toward solidifying our playoff chances (Oaklands likely loss at Lambeau would put us a game up, facing two teams that beat Oakland then hosting KC) but we still have to DO it, and can't afford to look past anyone. We're a lot better than anyone thought coming into the season, but still trailed a 2-10 team for most of last weeks game. Meanwhile, Chicago still has a trip to Lambeau ahead, and needs every game just as badly as we do. Hopefully, both teams the current momentum of both teams will persist for at least another week.

Nice work, Em, thanks; entertaining and informative as always.

TXBRONC
12-08-2011, 08:27 PM
Thanks for the breakdown Dig.

I noticed you didn't say anything about getting more use out of the tight end at least not directly. :D I've agree with every week that you've mentioned it and I would still like to see us make more use the tight end.

I think you hit the nail on the proverbial head with the X factor. If you had said that our punter Britton Colquitt was our X factor I would also agree with that as well because of who he will be punting too.

TXBRONC
12-08-2011, 08:35 PM
Good analysis, but I'm surprised you didn't say more about the Bears offensive line. With Forte out, Hanie starting and Miller probably back opposite Dumervil I expect major problems for arguably the NFLs worst offensive line. I've watched enough Cowboys games to know Barber can play very well, but if Denvers fast front seven doesn't make the mistake of overpursuing I don't think he'll have the blocking to accomplish much.

That would force Chicago to fall back on Hanie, which generally favors us, but I'm concerned about Goodman after the way Ponder chewed him up last week (until Goodman got his revenge with the pick at the end.) Miller and Doom rocketing at Hanie if Chicago can't run will encourage those short to medium passes you mentioned, and the slants in particular gave Goodman so much trouble last week it looked like Champ started taking his assignments (leaving a previously covered WR open.) Champ's an incredible CB, but there's only one of him; he can no longer drop his man, cross the field and pick a pass to someone else the way he did a few years ago.

Everyone keeps talking about the threat Peppers represents to Denvers offense, but the fast, powerful and smart 4-3 MLB created to deal with the equally versatile T quarterback still seems the best way to beat him. A great Mike like Urlacher is the ideal choice to spy a QB like Tebow, capable of punishing him in the running game and intercepting or sacking him in the passing game. I don't expect Tebow or McGahee to have much success running on the the Bears strong and quick front seven, and the game could come down to who has the weakest combination of offensive line and defensive secondary. I think that's Chicago, but not by much.

Tebow's not likely to have as many wide open receivers as in Minnesota, yet one good passing game is not enough to convince good defensive coaches like Luvie Smith they shouldn't focus on stopping his rushing threat. With the Bears poor secondary the most logical defence against Denvers passing is to blitz our young QB hard and hope to contain and smother him if he tries to scramble out of it. The Bears could penalize Tebow underneath by showing blitz before dropping into coverage at the snap, but if he recognizes that it's precisely the time he'll run, and the onus will be on Peppers and Urlacher to stop him.

I do think we'll once again be forced to pass, but if Tebow can maintain his excellent ball protection, the Bears secondary looks very vulnerable, especially deep. Decker remains a threat, and if Demaryius Thomas can show last weeks success was more than blown coverages the game could get away from Chicago in the Mile High air. This could be a real test of how far Tebow's come, not just in getting through progressions and reading coverage schemes, but in quickly reading blitzes and getting rid of the ball in time to avoid a sack without surrendering an interception.

For the first time in a while I really like our chances this week, but the Bears didn't host last years NFC Championship or climb to a 7-3 record this season solely because of Cutler and Forte. Winning this one would go a long way toward solidifying our playoff chances (Oaklands likely loss at Lambeau would put us a game up, facing two teams that beat Oakland then hosting KC) but we still have to DO it, and can't afford to look past anyone. We're a lot better than anyone thought coming into the season, but still trailed a 2-10 team for most of last weeks game. Meanwhile, Chicago still has a trip to Lambeau ahead, and needs every game just as badly as we do. Hopefully, both teams the current momentum of both teams will persist for at least another week.

Nice work, Em, thanks; entertaining and informative as always.

Dang Joel take a breath. :D

Seriously you have some really good points. One thing you said I agree in part is that I would not be surprised if we struggled to run the ball at least early on. But as much as Denver is able to run it wears a defense down and eventually it gains momentum. That's what's happened the last few week from my observations.

camdisco24
12-08-2011, 08:37 PM
Great Vid Em,

I like the new set-up and your use of videos now. Very professional.

Joel
12-08-2011, 09:07 PM
Dang Joel take a breath. :D
Maybe if we make the playoffs. :lol: Right now I'm a guy who follows four teams, of which none finished above #20 last year but all save one is leading their Division now (too bad about the Vikings, but you have to admit that was an uphill battle from the start.) Granted the Texans will be one and done, the Broncos probably will, too, and the Cowboys are consistently inconsistent enough to easily miss the playoffs, but right now I'm pretty psyched about the final stretch. The only thing that could make it better would be a Packers loss (but not this week. :tongue:) Or maybe the Texans loaning their line to Denver (along with WRs) and Dallas in exchange for a QB.

Seriously you have some really good points. One thing you said I agree in part is that I would not be surprised if we struggled to run the ball at least early on. But as much as Denver is able to run it wears a defense down and eventually it gains momentum. That's what's happened the last few week from my observations.
Thanks, and you're right, one of the great things about power running is it wears down Ds so the offensive line can take control and push them around in the 4th quarter. Strength and conditioning aside, Denvers home games are especially well suited for that, because our players live in thin air, practice in it every week, while the visitors have only a few days to adjust before game time.

I also agree with you in general about using our TEs more, 'cos I really like Fells; I'm just not sure this is the week to do it with Urlacher and Briggs lurking in the middle. Some extra blocking might not hurt though. ;) Speaking of Briggs, I just saw an NFL.com article about him tweeting on this game; he seems almost frantic they not be the latest victim of Tebowmania:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d824db05d/article/briggs-hoping-bears-dont-join-vikings-on-tebows-hit-list

There's also a clip there of an interview with Jason Taylor and Jared Allen discussing Tebow, and the former had some pretty good analysis of his own, making the same point I've been reiterating lately: Good coaches tailor their gameplan to their personnel rather than the reverse. Obviously, you want to get guys with the skills to play the style you know and prefer, but trying to pound square pegs into round holes results in fire sales on Pro Bowlers, and disastrous seasons (see: Denver Broncos 2009-2010.)