PDA

View Full Version : Beef Jerky

ShooterJM
12-08-2011, 03:26 PM
Ok, not really beef per se, but I'm getting a few venison roasts that have been sitting in a deep freezer since last deer season. I have a bet I can make them edible, so I'm going with Jerky. I have a good hot pepper recipe, but need a few more flavors. Anyone have any suggestions?

BroncoNut
12-08-2011, 03:28 PM
Ok, not really beef per se, but I'm getting a few venison roasts that have been sitting in a deep freezer since last deer season. I have a bet I can make them edible, so I'm going with Jerky. I have a good hot pepper recipe, but need a few more flavors. Anyone have any suggestions?

can't say I have much for suggestions, interesting though

rcsodak
12-08-2011, 03:29 PM
Worstershire/soy

Mobile Post via http://Mobile.BroncosForums.com/forums

ShooterJM
12-08-2011, 03:42 PM
Just normal soy or low sodium? Don't want it to be a salt bomb.

BeefStew25
12-09-2011, 12:15 AM
Beef Jerky was my nickname when I didn't get laid for 18 months in college.

Magnificent Seven
12-09-2011, 01:28 AM
Try our family recipe...

1/2 cup of Soy Sauce

1/2 cup of Red Wine Vinegar

Finely chopped green onions

Fresh Ground Pepper.

Combine all of it in a large bowl.

(We marinated our steaks for overnight and grilled them)

Enjoy.

WTE
12-09-2011, 07:10 AM
In addition to the above use a couple tablespoons of liquid smoke too.

garlic powder, onion powder, cayenne peppe. It needs to marinate for at least 24 hours, preferably 48.

I bought a dehydrator from walmart.com for about $60.00 to make jerky and dry bananas for my bunny. it works great.

ShooterJM
12-09-2011, 10:30 AM
In addition to the above use a couple tablespoons of liquid smoke too.

garlic powder, onion powder, cayenne peppe. It needs to marinate for at least 24 hours, preferably 48.

I bought a dehydrator from walmart.com for about $60.00 to make jerky and dry bananas for my bunny. it works great.

You have a bunny that eats jerky? :D

I got our dehydrator a few years ago when. Great for making snacks for the kids. And jerky for me.

BroncoNut
12-09-2011, 11:23 AM
Beef Jerky was my nickname when I didn't get laid for 18 months in college.

you kinda beat me to it. per thread title, I had this image of you in my head

BeefStew25
12-09-2011, 11:33 AM
you kinda beat me to it. per thread title, I had this image of you in my head

I had an image of both of us on Skype talking to each other with headsets on and tissue in hand.

WTE
12-09-2011, 01:34 PM
You have a bunny that eats jerky? :D

I got our dehydrator a few years ago when. Great for making snacks for the kids. And jerky for me.

My brother just told me his neighbor offered him a bunch of venison and he said no. I told him to grab me some for jerky.

Never tried venison jerky before but hope to.

My beef jerky is outstanding. I like it spicy.

ShooterJM
12-09-2011, 02:38 PM
Do you like vension? It can be pretty gamey if it isn't processed right.

To reduce that flavor, after you defrost it put it in a big bowl with ice water and baking soda for a day or two. (keep in the fridge). Just keep switching out the water and baking soda regularly as the water goes from clear to bloody. After a day or two it'll REALLY cut down on the gamey taste.

WTE
12-09-2011, 03:52 PM

To reduce that flavor, after you defrost it put it in a big bowl with ice water and baking soda for a day or two. (keep in the fridge). Just keep switching out the water and baking soda regularly as the water goes from clear to bloody. After a day or two it'll REALLY cut down on the gamey taste.

I haven't had venison since I was a kid but back then my father would remove the gamey flavor by soaking overnight in half milk and water and some salt and pepper.

ShooterJM
12-09-2011, 04:08 PM
Have a friend that does it that way too. I just don't generally keep milk in the house. Really anything that helps draw the blood out.

Course it'd be just easier if people would just process the game right the first time.

Which reminds me I need to get my hunters safety redone.

rcsodak
12-09-2011, 06:30 PM
Just normal soy or low sodium? Don't want it to be a salt bomb.
Just let it soak...add some msg, black pepper.

I'm fixing a Meditteranean Braised Venison Roast as i type this. Onions/shallets/pitted dates/balsamic vinegar/water.

rcsodak
12-09-2011, 06:33 PM

Well, if you dont like gamey, then eat tofu. ;')
But i will soak the meat in salt water...it pulls the blood out, and add in garlic powder.
The BEST way to get rid of the gamey, is to trim like a madman. Get rid of the outer flesh on the meat and any/all fat/tendony stuff.