PDA

View Full Version : One Last Salute To Mike Shanahan

Ziggy
01-27-2009, 04:09 PM
http://cache.gettyimages.com/xc/493321.jpg?v=1&c=ViewImages&k=2&d=17A4AD9FDB9CF193CEF9A2866663FA433AC56D46B0351B5A 284831B75F48EF45

Having been a Broncos fan for more than 35 years now, I wanted to pay one last tribute to Mike Shanahan, the greatest coach in franchise history. Prior to his regime, Denver had accumulated just 15 winning seasons in the prior 35 years. They had 4 Super Bowl appearances, losing them all by a combined score of 163-50. Hall of Fame QB John Elway's window of opportunity to win a championship was growing ever narrower, and Broncos fans were filled with frustration.

Enter Mike Shanahan. He took over the reigns as Head Coach and GM following the 1994-95 season. Fans and players were familiar with Mike, as he had served the Broncos as QB coach in 1984-85, and 1989-91. He was also the Offensive Coordinator from 1986-1987. Fresh off of his Super Bowl win as Offensive Coordinator for the San Francisco 49'ers, Shanahan made his return to the Mile High City.

1995 was a building year, but the foundation was being established. The Broncos finished at 8-8. The next season, the Broncos improved to 13-3 but were shocked in the playoffs with a home loss to the Jacksonville Jaguars. The next 2 seasons brought Super Bowl victories and a winning tradition to Denver. Shanahan would finish his Head Coaching career in Denver with a regular season record of 138-86, a playoff record of 8-5, and a Super Bowl record of 2-0.

Though some fans will point to his errors in personnel aquisitions from free agency and the draft as his downfall, I will always remember the moves that helped this team to 2 championships and ended our string of Super Bowl humiliations. Without free agents like Neil Smith, Keith Traylor, Alfred Williams, Bill Romonawski, and Mark Schlereth, the main legacy of this franchise might still be that of Super Bowl doormats. There were many mistakes in the draft, but I will remember guys like Tom Nalen, Al Wilson, Dan Niel, Trevor Pryce, and of course, Terrell Davis.

I cannot speak for all Broncos fans, so I am speaking only for myself. Thank you Mike Shanahan, for rescuing long time Broncos fans from mediocrity and humiliation. Thank you for helping John Elway to have a storybook ending to his career. Thank you for creating a new tradition here in Denver. One that not only hopes for, but demands success out of it's football franchise.
As a loyal Broncos fan, I will move on and I will cheer whole-heartedly for the new Head Coach. I hope that he can surpass the bar that you have set here for all coaches in Dever to be measured against. What I will not do however, is forget what you have accomplished during your tenure. I thank you sir, and I salute you. :salute:

DallasChief
01-27-2009, 04:10 PM
http://chiefsfansofdallas.com/shanahanchief.jpg

Rex
01-27-2009, 04:11 PM
Neg Rep

Bozo Jr.
01-27-2009, 04:27 PM

Yikes, that's a disturbing image! It was nice while it lasted, but a new direction was certainly what we needed. I hope for the best for Mike, but if he decides to wear red and white, then all love is lost. Go get 'em McD. :salute:

broncofaninfla
01-27-2009, 05:01 PM
Good stuff Zig!

omac
01-27-2009, 11:44 PM
Great homage, Ziggy! Classy tribute to a classy coach. :salute:

MOtorboat
01-27-2009, 11:44 PM

Troll.

Denver Native (Carol)
01-28-2009, 10:59 AM
Great post Ziggy. When reading it, you mentioned Alfred Williams. As a side note, I was listening to him on FM104.3TheFan yesterday. Alfred gets very excited the week before the SuperBowl. Yesterday, he was talking with Howard Griffin, and they were reminiscing about playing Green Bay. Alfred ask Howard if he remembered the following - then you heard Pat Bowlen's famous words "This one's for John". Alfred then said, I was thinking to myself "What the hell - this one's for Alfred", and then he broke out in his famous Alfred laugh.

Ziggy
01-28-2009, 12:16 PM
Great post Ziggy. When reading it, you mentioned Alfred Williams. As a side note, I was listening to him on FM104.3TheFan yesterday. Alfred gets very excited the week before the SuperBowl. Yesterday, he was talking with Howard Griffin, and they were reminiscing about playing Green Bay. Alfred ask Howard if he remembered the following - then you heard Pat Bowlen's famous words "This one's for John". Alfred then said, I was thinking to myself "What the hell - this one's for Alfred", and then he broke out in his famous Alfred laugh.

I can picture him saying that and breaking out in that deep goofy laugh. Nice story Carol, thanks for sharing. :laugh:

warcrychief
01-29-2009, 10:49 AM

Im not to sure Pioli will go for this. I have a gut feeling that he will get his own coach from some where else.

Ziggy
01-29-2009, 03:43 PM
Im not to sure Pioli will go for this. I have a gut feeling that he will get his own coach from some where else.

The only reason I can see Pioli waiting this long is to nab a coach form either Carolina or Pittsburgh's staff.

bengaaaaals1688
01-29-2009, 03:46 PM
The only reason I can see Pioli waiting this long is to nab a coach form either Carolina or Pittsburgh's staff.

I'd laugh hysterically if he tried to get Dick LeBeau.

Dean
02-01-2009, 05:45 PM
http://cache.gettyimages.com/xc/493321.jpg?v=1&c=ViewImages&k=2&d=17A4AD9FDB9CF193CEF9A2866663FA433AC56D46B0351B5A 284831B75F48EF45

I cannot speak for all Broncos fans, so I am speaking only for myself. Thank you Mike Shanahan, for rescuing long time Broncos fans from mediocrity and humiliation. Thank you for helping John Elway to have a storybook ending to his career. Thank you for creating a new tradition here in Denver. One that not only hopes for, but demands success out of it's football franchise.
As a loyal Broncos fan, I will move on and I will cheer whole-heartedly for the new Head Coach. I hope that he can surpass the bar that you have set here for all coaches in Dever to be measured against. What I will not do however, is forget what you have accomplished during your tenure. I thank you sir, and I salute you. :salute:

No. . . You may have writen the post but IMHO you are speaking for the majority of the pre-Shanahan fans. Those that remember that winning is not a God given right and appreciate who got us here. Mike had an ability to obtain talent through trades but once all teams began to value free agency he came up snake eyes too often.

When we lost the AFCCG he decided to rebuild. His drafts since then have been outstanding. He had the offense tuned and ready to go. Now, I hope McKid (I can not believe how young he looks) does something positive with the defense.

TXBRONC
02-01-2009, 10:38 PM
Nice article Ziggy.

Regardless of what some people think you just can't wish the facts into non existence. Shanahan coached the this team to back to back Super Bowl wins and won more games than any of his predecessors. This final salute is well deserved. :salute:

Overtime
02-02-2009, 11:44 AM

you should be tarred and feathered and hung from the scoreboard at Mile High.

EastCoastBronco
02-05-2009, 08:19 PM
Nice post Zig...I'm pretty sure that most of the "older" fans on this board feel the same way. No matter how many SB's we reached with Dan Reeves as coach it just didn't feel the same as when Mike took control. He was one of a kind and I'm glad he accomplished what he did with us instead of some other team...I will always cherish what he brought to us but it was time to move on...

Lonestar
02-07-2009, 10:35 PM
No. . . You may have writen the post but IMHO you are speaking for the majority of the pre-Shanahan fans. Those that remember that winning is not a God given right and appreciate who got us here. Mike had an ability to obtain talent through trades but once all teams began to value free agency he came up snake eyes too often.

When we lost the AFCCG he decided to rebuild. His drafts since then have been outstanding. He had the offense tuned and ready to go. Now, I hope McKid (I can not believe how young he looks) does something positive with the defense.

Ziggy a great post overall..

Coach you hit the nail on the head.. he was an innovator in Free Agency and cap space management. . But it did not take long for everyone else to embrace it and thereafter we started our slide into mediocrity..

His inability to win trap games starting with the first playoff game at home against the Jags cost him/us dearly over the years....

Till ego finally got him this year.. IMHO

Heres to Mc Kid..:salute::salute:

omac
02-08-2009, 04:49 AM
Ziggy a great post overall..

Coach you hit the nail on the head.. he was an innovator in Free Agency and cap space management. . But it did not take long for everyone else to embrace it and thereafter we started our slide into mediocrity..

His inability to win trap games starting with the first playoff game at home against the Jags cost him/us dearly over the years....

Till ego finally got him this year.. IMHO

Heres to Mc Kid..:salute::salute:

He also nailed it when he said Shanahan's drafts since the AFCCG have been outstanding, and had the offense tuned and ready to go. Doogie can thank Shanny for that. :cheers:

Ziggy
02-08-2009, 04:14 PM
He also nailed it when he said Shanahan's drafts since the AFCCG have been outstanding, and had the offense tuned and ready to go. Doogie can thank Shanny for that. :cheers:

True, but the Shanny haters will be quick to credit the Goodmans with the great draft picks and free agent signings, while at the same time blaming Shanahan for the bad draft picks and free agent signings.

omac
02-08-2009, 05:09 PM
True, but the Shanny haters will be quick to credit the Goodmans with the great draft picks and free agent signings, while at the same time blaming Shanahan for the bad draft picks and free agent signings.

Well, maybe not everyone who dislikes Shanahan will discredit all the good stuff he's done, hehe. :D What really hurt Shanahan was losing Coyer for Bates and Slowik. Imagine how many more games we could've easily won with Coyer's defense, and this current offense? All we would've needed, at least for that level of defense, would've been a solid mike to take Al Wilson's place, although the season after Coyer, we were looking to draft defensive line.

Lonestar
02-08-2009, 05:14 PM

Not at all mike was in charge for both.. But you have to remember something changed when the Goodman's became in engaged..

All they did was scout the players he made the ultimate decisions..

I seem to remember an old adage "One can lead a horse to water, but can't force him to drink"..

seems apt in this case..

Do you suppose they told both of the Safety clowns signed last year were world beaters? or that Niko was the greatest thing since sliced bread?

We will never know but I can say for certain the college players brought in since they came on board seem to have been "FIRST RATE"..

Not lets see are the Goodman's college scouts or veteran scouts????

Ziggy
02-08-2009, 06:07 PM
Not at all mike was in charge for both.. But you have to remember something changed when the Goodman's became in engaged..

All they did was scout the players he made the ultimate decisions..

I seem to remember an old adage "One can lead a horse to water, but can't force him to drink"..

seems apt in this case..

Do you suppose they told both of the Safety clowns signed last year were world beaters? or that Niko was the greatest thing since sliced bread?

We will never know but I can say for certain the college players brought in since they came on board seem to have been "FIRST RATE"..

Not lets see are the Goodman's college scouts or veteran scouts????

You've made your point JR, and in just about every thread on this forum. Everyone knows your feelings about Shanahan. You've expressed them over, and over, and over, and over, and over again. I'm sure you will continue to do the same as long as you post on these boards. It's your right, just as it is my right to show my respect for what Shanahan has done here. Like it or not, we have 2 Super Bowl championships that we may not have had without him. The organization COULD NOT AND DID NOT get it done before he came here. I for one, hope we can do it again with McDaniels, but that isn't what this thread is about.

For the purpose of not turning this thread into yet another of your "let's bash Shanahan" threads, I will not be responding to you again. Have a nice day.

Lonestar
02-08-2009, 10:18 PM
You've made your point JR, and in just about every thread on this forum. Everyone knows your feelings about Shanahan. You've expressed them over, and over, and over, and over, and over again. I'm sure you will continue to do the same as long as you post on these boards. It's your right, just as it is my right to show my respect for what Shanahan has done here. Like it or not, we have 2 Super Bowl championships that we may not have had without him. The organization COULD NOT AND DID NOT get it done before he came here. I for one, hope we can do it again with McDaniels, but that isn't what this thread is about.

For the purpose of not turning this thread into yet another of your "let's bash Shanahan" threads, I will not be responding to you again. Have a nice day.

yes he did indeed win two Superbowl rings but has virtually nothing since without the HOF group he had for those games..

I thank him for putting the final couple of pieces and a fresh new offense for those years.. But he should have retired with John and allowed us to move on after.. Perhaps our talent level past the offensive starters would not be in shambles as the entire defense is today..

Everyone kept the mantra up of reloading instead of rebuilding well folks we are officially in rebuild mode after the general managership of mikey..

fcspikeit
02-10-2009, 03:58 AM
Great thread Ziggy :salute:

I had more then a few faults with Shanahan but I recognize what he done for us and I thank him for putting the team together that helped John win 2 Superbowls.

I wish him the best in the future... Good luck Mike :beer:

TXBRONC
02-12-2009, 10:25 AM

I'm not a big Plummer fan but it was Shanahan who brought him in yet some haters like give all the credit to Kubiak for helping to be winning quarterback. It was Shanahan who understood who believed that Plummer could fit in his system. It was Shanahan who sacrificed big chucks of His playbook just to accommodate Plummer. It was Shanahan who not only brought in Plummer, but also brought in the likes of players like Tony Jones, Keith Traylor, Glen Cadrez, John Mobley, Bill Romanowski, Darrien Gordon, Vaughn Hebron, Terrell Davis, Mike Anderson, Olandis Gary, Clinton Portis, Dan Neil, Ben Hamilton etc. All some people want to do is whine about free agents and draft picks that failed and have the audacity to say Shanahan really had nothing to do with Super Bowl wins.

Ziggy
02-15-2009, 01:46 PM
I'm not a big Plummer fan but it was Shanahan who brought him in yet some haters like give all the credit to Kubiak for helping to be winning quarterback. It was Shanahan who understood who believed that Plummer could fit in his system. It was Shanahan who sacrificed big chucks of His playbook just to accommodate Plummer. It was Shanahan who not only brought in Plummer, but also brought in the likes of players like Tony Jones, Keith Traylor, Glen Cadrez, John Mobley, Bill Romanowski, Darrien Gordon, Vaughn Hebron, Terrell Davis, Mike Anderson, Olandis Gary, Clinton Portis, Dan Neil, Ben Hamilton etc. All some people want to do is whine about free agents and draft picks that failed and have the audacity to say Shanahan really had nothing to do with Super Bowl wins.

Yeah, I was just posting in another thread that Shanahan brought in 14 of the starting 25 players (counting KR, P, and K)on the first championship roster. The haters will always say that most of the pieces were in place before Shanahan got here, but it's simply not true. Replace those 14 starters that he brought in, with the people that were on the roster before he came, and we don't get to either of those Super Bowls, let alone win them.