PDA

View Full Version : Resurrect All-Decade Broncos team

cmc0605
12-07-2011, 03:42 PM
Random thread for thought (and something different).

You have been blessed by the football gods. They are giving you control of Broncos life for one season only (don't worry, you're not coaching though). Your task: create a team and win a superbowl.

Here are your powers:

1) You must pick players who have played at least one full season with the Denver Broncos since 2002 or later (sorry, no Elway or TD)
2) You must pick a head coach, an OC and a DC that was in Denver since that time
3) As many candidates for this team are old, retired, deceased, injured, etc, the football gods have given the players magic Jesus potion (presumably the brewing was aided by Tim Tebow). This gives them the speed, power, and shape that they enjoyed in their football prime, though they still have the experience and know-hows that they currently possess (or retired with). Deceased players are alive again. Injured players don't have that issue anymore. However, two caveats

-- If they were in their "prime" before 2002, then you're stuck with the players best physical ability after that date
-- If they were in their "prime" with another team (like Jamal Williams) then they are in their best physical shape that occurred at the time of joining Denver.
-- So long as they meet the criteria, it is OK if they play for another team currently

4) You must pick one QB, RB, FB, TE, one of each o-line and d-line member, a kicker, punter, returner. If you are playing a 4-3, pick 4 d-lineman and 3 linebackers (a MLB, weakside OLB, and strongside OLB). Pick three lineman and 4 LB's if you want a 3-4 scheme, although try to be consistent with your chosen d-coordinators philosophy. Pick two safeties, however you get 3 WRs and 3 CBs, presumably because you will need to pass or play nickle packages from time to time. You can change positions around (e.g., moving a LT to RT, or SS to FS, but only if you feel it makes sense for the team). The football gods read broncosforums.com, and don't want to read posts full of 52 names, so they only want you to select starters based on the above criteria.

Keep in mind you are not building a long-term football team, this is only for a single season, so you do not need to be overly concerned about a players age or the "future" you think they'd have. Lastly, the football gods like constructive criticism and the chance to maximize success, so they want you to comment on other peoples choice teams, and see if anyone changes their mind on any position.

Here is my team

QB- Jay Cutler
RB- Clinton Portis
FB- Kyle Johnson
WR(1)- Rod Smith
WR(2)- Brandon Marshall
WR(3)- Javon Walker
TE- Shannon Sharpe
LT- Ryan Clady
LG- Ben Hamilton
C- Tom Nalen
RG- Cooper Carliste
RT- Matt Lepsis (moving over from LT)

DE(1)- Elvis Dumervil
DE(2)- Trevor Pryce
DT(1)- Jamal Williams (still taking him even though he joins Denver mediocre)
DT(2)- Ellis Johnson
Weak OLB- D.J. Williams
Strong OLB- Von Miller
MLB- Al Wilson
SS- John Lynch
FS- Brian Dawkins
(losing coverage ability, but I like these two)
CB(1)- Champ Bailey
CB(2)- Deltha O'Neal
CB(3)- Darrent Williams

K- Jason Elam
P- Todd Sauerbrun
Returner- Darrent Williams

HC- Sticking with Fox
OC- Gary Kubiak
DC- Larry Coyer

The Glue Factory
12-07-2011, 06:07 PM
Ummm... Larry Coyer? The DC that cost Shanahan his job? You sure 'bout that? I'd have kept the current DC over Coyer.

Not sure about Deltha at CB but not sure who I'd replace him with either. Otherwise, good job!

Ravage!!!
12-07-2011, 06:48 PM
Id take Shanahan over Fox in a heartbeat, as well.

Jsteve01
12-07-2011, 06:49 PM
think it's hard to argue most of these, but if we're going with one season guys I'll definitely take Bunk or Warren over Ellis Johnson. Colquitt over Sauerbrun and Kuper over Cooper.

Jsteve01
12-07-2011, 06:50 PM
Id take Shanahan over Fox in a heartbeat, as well.

really? Shanny post Elway is a mediocre head coach. since 2002 Fox's teams have consistently been better than Shanny's

karnage
12-07-2011, 07:49 PM
Miller hasn't played a full season with Denver yet

Jsteve01
12-07-2011, 07:58 PM

So who would you prefer? He's easily the best strong side 4-3 backer in the game today. Guy is second in the league in pass rushing efficiency and he leads all top 20 sack leaders in tackles. Small sample size but barring injury there's no doubt he is a great player.

karnage
12-07-2011, 07:59 PM
So who would you prefer? He's easily the best strong side 4-3 backer in the game today. Guy is second in the league in pass rushing efficiency and he leads all top 20 sack leaders in tackles. Small sample size but barring injury there's no doubt he is a great player.

That's not the point, I'm basing it off his criteria...

Jsteve01
12-07-2011, 08:03 PM
ahh I see a stickler

silkamilkamonico
12-07-2011, 08:06 PM
really? Shanny post Elway is a mediocre head coach. since 2002 Fox's teams have consistently been better than Shanny's

Not only is he a mediocre coach since Elway has retired, but he has 1 playoff win, and perpetual habit of losing big time games at key moments of the season. I personally think he's washed up and the NFL has passed him by, and he has John Elway to thank for a very questionable HofF Head Coaching career.

Currently in the NFL he is probably somewhere between the 23rd best HC, and 30th.

Dreadnought
12-07-2011, 08:13 PM
I have a few differences, but most of your picks were solid as well.

QB- Jay Cutler
RB- Clinton Portis
FB- Peyton Hillis
WR(1)- Rod Smith
WR(2)- Brandon Marshall
WR(3)- Brandon Stokley for the slot
TE- Tony Scheffler (by '02 Sharpe was in decline)
LT- Ryan Clady
LG- Ben Hamilton
C- Tom Nalen
RG- Cooper Carliste

DE(1)- Elvis Dumervil
DE(2)- Bertrand Berry
DT(1)- Gerard Warren
DT(2)- Trevor Pryce (I like him as DT)
Weak OLB- Ian Gold
Strong OLB- Von Miller
MLB- Al Wilson
SS- John Lynch
FS- Brian Dawkins
CB(1)- Champ Bailey
CB(2)- Denard Walker
CB(3)- Darrent Williams

K- Jason Elam
P- Britton Colquitt
Returner- Eddie Royal

HC- Mike Shanahan
OC- Gary Kubiak
DC- Dennis Allen

Dzone
12-07-2011, 08:13 PM
Ellis Johnson? Did he ever make a tackle? I can barely remember him. I will put Marcus Thomas ahead of him. Jamal Williams was a complete flop. Vonnie Holliday and Vickerson were better.
Plummer got us to the AFC championship so he has to go ahead of Cutler.

cmc0605
12-07-2011, 09:42 PM

Darn, I tried to be thorough :-(

cmc0605
12-07-2011, 09:44 PM
Ellis Johnson? Did he ever make a tackle? I can barely remember him. I will put Marcus Thomas ahead of him. Jamal Williams was a complete flop. Vonnie Holliday and Vickerson were better.
Plummer got us to the AFC championship so he has to go ahead of Cutler.

I liked Johnson as a pass rusher at the DT position, but to be honest, when thinking about it we never really had a good player at this position in a decade...

karnage
12-07-2011, 09:47 PM
Darn, I tried to be thorough :-(

hey,you put in a lot of hard work....just pointing out for ya

Dreadnought
12-07-2011, 09:49 PM
I liked Johnson as a pass rusher at the DT position, but to be honest, when thinking about it we never really had a good player at this position in a decade...

I liked both Browncos, Myers and Warren, pretty well. The '05 defense was pretty stout in the middle v. the Run. Just not much pass rush. I liked Trevor Pryce as a DT, too

Northman
12-07-2011, 10:26 PM

I would venture to say though that during those years the AFCW was at least a lot tougher than the division Carolina was in.

Northman
12-07-2011, 10:42 PM
QB- Jay Cutler
RB- Willis McGahee
FB- Peyton Hillis

WR(1)- Brandon Marshall
WR(2)- Eric Decker
WR(3)- Eddie Royal

TE- Tony Scheffler

LT- Ryan Clady
LG- Ben Hamilton
C- Tom Nalen
RG- Cooper Carliste

DE(1)- Elvis Dumervil
DE(2)- Reggie Hayward
DT(1)- Gerard Warren
DT(2)- Monsanto Pope

Weak OLB- Ian Gold
Strong OLB- Von Miller
MLB- Al Wilson

SS- John Lynch
FS- Brian Dawkins

CB(1)- Champ Bailey
CB(2)- Dre Bly
CB(3)- Perish Cox

K- Jason Elam
P- Britton Colquitt
Returner- Kenny McKinley

HC- Mike Shanahan
OC- Gary Kubiak
DC- Mike Nolan

Dreadnought
12-07-2011, 10:58 PM
QB- Jay Cutler
RB- Willis McGahee
FB- Peyton Hillis

WR(1)- Brandon Marshall
WR(2)- Eric Decker
WR(3)- Eddie Royal

TE- Tony Scheffler

LT- Ryan Clady
LG- Ben Hamilton
C- Tom Nalen
RG- Cooper Carliste

DE(1)- Elvis Dumervil
DE(2)- Reggie Hayward
DT(1)- Gerard Warren
DT(2)- Monsanto Pope

Weak OLB- Ian Gold
Strong OLB- Von Miller
MLB- Al Wilson

SS- John Lynch
FS- Brian Dawkins

CB(1)- Champ Bailey
CB(2)- Dre Bly
CB(3)- Perish Cox

K- Jason Elam
P- Britton Colquitt
Returner- Kenny McKinley

HC- Mike Shanahan
OC- Gary Kubiak
DC- Mike Nolan

Good, I agree with much of your thinking, but...Perrish Cox?! I also think Trevor Pryce needs to be there somewhere

BroncoWave
12-07-2011, 11:22 PM
QB: Jake Plummer
RB: Clinton Portis
FB: Kyle Johnson
WR: Brandon Marshall
WR: Brandon Lloyd
WR: Rod Smith
TE: Shannon Sharpe
LT: Ryan Clady
LG: Ben Hamilton
C: Tom Nalen
RG: Cooper Carlisle
RT: Matt Lepsis

DE: Elvis Dumervil
DT: Broderick Bunkley
DT: Gerrard Warren
DE: Trevor Pryce
OLB: Von Miller
MLB: Al Wilson
OLB: Ian Gold
CB: Champ Bailey
CB: Deltha O'Neal
CB: Dre Bly
SS: John Lynch
FS: Brian Dawkins

K: Jason Elam
P: Britton Colquitt
KR/PR: Eddie Royal

HC: John Fox
OC: Gary Kubiak
DC: Dennis Allen

Northman
12-07-2011, 11:30 PM
Good, I agree with much of your thinking, but...Perrish Cox?! I also think Trevor Pryce needs to be there somewhere

Pryce was aging to me and really benefitted the most when he got to Bmore because of the guys around him. But thats just a matter of one's view. Perrish i think is actually a decent player, just completely dumb.

pnbronco
12-08-2011, 12:06 AM
Ummm... Larry Coyer? The DC that cost Shanahan his job? You sure 'bout that? I'd have kept the current DC over Coyer.

Not sure about Deltha at CB but not sure who I'd replace him with either. Otherwise, good job!

Actually the D Coach that cost Shanny his job was Bob Slowik in 2008.

cmc0605
12-08-2011, 12:42 AM
Coyer was the D coordinator when we went to the AFC championship game. I thought he did a good job. He was blitz-heavy, and that cost us against the Steelers, who beat that with a lot of quick slants (along with Jake Plummer's meltdown). But this was also at a time when we couldn't get any pressure without bringing the house.

Ravage!!!
12-08-2011, 02:56 PM

He had the second most wins in the NFL during that tenure. He had the HIGHEST percentage of wins of ANY coach or ANY Franchise that lost a HoF QB..while being the fastest to return to a conference Championship game after losing a HoF QB. Saying he was "mediocre" is by FAR an incorrect statement considering we had only 2 losing seasons that entire time span...AFTER winning back-to-back Super Bowls.

SM19
12-08-2011, 03:11 PM
QB: Jay Cutler
RB: Clinton Portis
FB: Kyle Johnson
WR: Rod Smith
WR: Brandon Marshall
WR: Brandon Lloyd
TE: Shannon Sharpe
LT: Matt Lepsis
LG: Ben Hamilton
C: Tom Nalen
RG: Cooper Carlise
RT: Ryan Clady

DE: Elvis Dumervil
DE: Bertrand Berry
DT: Trevor Pryce
DT: Gerard Warren
WLB: D.J. Williams
SLB: Von Miller
MLB: Al Wilson
SS: John Lynch
FS: Brian Dawkins
CB: Champ Bailey
CB: Deltha O'Neal
CB: Dre Bly

K: Jason Elam
P: Todd Sauerbrun
KR/PR: Deltha O'Neal

HC: Mike Shanahan
OC: Gary Kubiak
DC: Mike Nolan

Not to reignite an old debate, but I actually had a fair bit of trouble choosing between Cutler and Plummer. Cutler's superior athletic ability won out in the end.

Ravage!!!
12-08-2011, 03:16 PM
QB- Jay Cutler
RB- Clinton Portis
FB- Peyton Hillis

WR(1)- Brandon Marshall
WR(2)- Rod Smith
WR(3)- Ed McCaffrey

TE- Shannon Sharpe

LT- Ryan Clady
LG- Ben Hamilton
C- Tom Nalen
RG- Dan Neil
RT- Matt Lepsis

DE(1)- Elvis Dumervil
DE(2)- Reggie Hayward
DT(1)- Gerard Warren
DT(2)- Trevor Pryce

Weak OLB- DJ Williams
Strong OLB- John Mobley
MLB- Al Wilson

SS- John Lynch
FS- Brian Dawkins

CB(1)- Champ Bailey
CB(2)- Dre Bly
CB(3)- Deltha O'Neal

K- Jason Elam
P- Britton Colquitt
Returner- Kenny McKinley

HC- Mike Shanahan
OC- Gary Kubiak
DC- Mike Nolan

Jsteve01
12-08-2011, 04:00 PM
He had the second most wins in the NFL during that tenure. He had the HIGHEST percentage of wins of ANY coach or ANY Franchise that lost a HoF QB..while being the fastest to return to a conference Championship game after losing a HoF QB. Saying he was "mediocre" is by FAR an incorrect statement considering we had only 2 losing seasons that entire time span...AFTER winning back-to-back Super Bowls.

One playoff victory in ten years Rav? come on man you can paint it however you like but that's just mediocre. Winning pct means diddely if you don't win when it counts. Just ask Marty.

I like shanny and think he's a HOF coach, but his deficiencies in assembling staffs once he lost his original core were glaring.

And the circus in Washington only serves to reinforce my assertion.

Jsteve01
12-08-2011, 04:04 PM
I couldn't remember if Neil was still around in 02. I don't think there's any doubt he was a better player than Carlisle

Jsteve01
12-08-2011, 04:08 PM
I have a few differences, but most of your picks were solid as well.

QB- Jay Cutler
RB- Clinton Portis
FB- Peyton Hillis
WR(1)- Rod Smith
WR(2)- Brandon Marshall
WR(3)- Brandon Stokley for the slot
TE- Tony Scheffler (by '02 Sharpe was in decline)
LT- Ryan Clady
LG- Ben Hamilton
C- Tom Nalen
RG- Cooper Carliste

DE(1)- Elvis Dumervil
DE(2)- Bertrand Berry
DT(1)- Gerard Warren
DT(2)- Trevor Pryce (I like him as DT)
Weak OLB- Ian Gold
Strong OLB- Von Miller
MLB- Al Wilson
SS- John Lynch
FS- Brian Dawkins
CB(1)- Champ Bailey
CB(2)- Denard Walker
CB(3)- Darrent Williams

K- Jason Elam
P- Britton Colquitt
Returner- Eddie Royal

HC- Mike Shanahan
OC- Gary Kubiak
DC- Dennis Allen

love the Denard Walker pick. He was a very solid number two corner. People got caught up in his lack of picks and forget his stout coverage and willingness in the run game.

Dreadnought
12-08-2011, 04:39 PM
love the Denard Walker pick. He was a very solid number two corner. People got caught up in his lack of picks and forget his stout coverage and willingness in the run game.

Walker was very sound CB, but had hands like a pair of paws

BroncoBJ
12-09-2011, 02:08 AM
QB- Jay Cutler
RB- Clinton Portis
FB- Peyton Hillis

WR(1)- Brandon Marshall
WR(2)- Rod Smith
WR(3)- Ed McCaffrey

TE- Shannon Sharpe

LT- Ryan Clady
LG- Ben Hamilton
C- Tom Nalen
RG- Dan Neil
RT- Matt Lepsis

DE(1)- Elvis Dumervil
DE(2)- Reggie Hayward
DT(1)- Gerard Warren
DT(2)- Trevor Pryce

Weak OLB- DJ Williams
Strong OLB- John Mobley
MLB- Al Wilson

SS- John Lynch
FS- Brian Dawkins

CB(1)- Champ Bailey
CB(2)- Dre Bly
CB(3)- Deltha O'Neal

K- Jason Elam
P- Britton Colquitt
Returner- Kenny McKinley

HC- Mike Shanahan
OC- Gary Kubiak
DC- Mike Nolan

Curious as to why you had McKinley as our Returner of the decade? He barely returned any kicks for us. Had 2 or 3 games worth of kick/punt returns with us.

If I was going to go returner, I'd probably have Darrent or Eddie. Both of those guys have been solid returners for us and made plays happen on the return game. Even Glen Martinez had his moment :lol:

Or Even Quincy Morgan. I remember being excited when we got him. :elefant:

Just not too sure why you chose Kenny. Unless you just liked his potential and felt like he would have been a great one.

Agree with most the other positions though. :salute:

sneakers
12-09-2011, 02:23 AM
Here is my List:

QB- Brady Quinn
RB- Ron Dayne
FB- Tim Tebow
WR(1)- Phil McGeoghan
WR(2)- David Terrell
WR(3)- Nate Jackson
TE- Chad Mustard
LT- George Foster
LG- Cornell Green
C- Trey Teague
RG- Lennie Friedman
RT- Erik Pears

DE(1)- Jarvis Moss
DE(2)- Kavika Pittman
DT(1)- LeKevin Smith
DT(2)- Sam Adams
Weak OLB- Louis Green
Strong OLB- Nate Webster
MLB- Patrick Chukwurah
SS- Charles Dimry
FS- Eric Davis
CB(1)- Lennie Walls
CB(2)- Willie Middlebrooks
CB(3)- Tyrone Poole

K- Paul Ernster
P- Todd Sauerbrun
Returner- Glenn Martinez

HC- Mike Shanahan
OC- Mike McCoy
DC- Ray Rhodes

Jsteve01
12-09-2011, 10:10 AM
Here is my List:

QB- Brady Quinn
RB- Ron Dayne
FB- Tim Tebow
WR(1)- Phil McGeoghan
WR(2)- David Terrell
WR(3)- Nate Jackson
TE- Chad Mustard
LT- George Foster
LG- Cornell Green
C- Trey Teague
RG- Lennie Friedman
RT- Erik Pears

DE(1)- Jarvis Moss
DE(2)- Kavika Pittman
DT(1)- LeKevin Smith
DT(2)- Sam Adams
Weak OLB- Louis Green
Strong OLB- Nate Webster
MLB- Patrick Chukwurah
SS- Charles Dimry
FS- Eric Davis
CB(1)- Lennie Walls
CB(2)- Willie Middlebrooks
CB(3)- Tyrone Poole

K- Paul Ernster
P- Todd Sauerbrun
Returner- Glenn Martinez

HC- Mike Shanahan
OC- Mike McCoy
DC- Ray Rhodes

Mustard should be in the ring of fame...nuff said

Dreadnought
12-09-2011, 11:06 AM

Yeah, and Sneakers didn't have a spot for Roc Alexander. That invalidates his entire list

BCJ
12-09-2011, 01:29 PM
Looking at the OP's list reminds me how we have been a very average team this decade. Kyle Johnson? Even though this decade started 4-12, it is looking much brighter right now. BTW, I will take Plummer over Cutler. At least that QB took us to the AFCCG and didnt help screw up a 3 game lead with 3 to go.

BCJ
12-09-2011, 01:32 PM

Coyer didnt lose Shanahan his job! Shanny lost the job on his own for not sticking with a DC. Slowick was the nail in the coffin for Shanny. Out of the last 4, Coyer was probably the best of the bunch. He at least got us not only to the playoffs, but one game from the SuperBowl.

Jsteve01
12-09-2011, 01:55 PM
Coyer didnt lose Shanahan his job! Shanny lost the job on his own for not sticking with a DC. Slowick was the nail in the coffin for Shanny. Out of the last 4, Coyer was probably the best of the bunch. He at least got us not only to the playoffs, but one game from the SuperBowl.

I still think Bates and Rhoades are good DCs with decent personnel as well. Slow? well he just sux rocks

BCJ
12-09-2011, 02:50 PM

He was/is. They put it up, then took it down, put it up, then took it down, put it up, then took it down, put it up, then took it down, put it up, then took it down, put it up and then took it down. As soon as he comes out from his teaching gig in Oklahoma, they will put it back up.

Jsteve01
12-09-2011, 06:58 PM
lmao

cmc0605
12-10-2011, 02:38 AM
Looking at the OP's list reminds me how we have been a very average team this decade. Kyle Johnson? Even though this decade started 4-12, it is looking much brighter right now. BTW, I will take Plummer over Cutler. At least that QB took us to the AFCCG and didnt help screw up a 3 game lead with 3 to go.

I agree we have not had too many superstars, though I think McDaniels helped throw a few away. Although in the earlier part of this decade we did enjoy the last remnants of the team from the late 90's in Rod Smith (who would be great on our current team I think, team-player who could run great routes and provide support for Tebow), Sharpe, etc. Portis was a stud too, but in large part from the Shanahan-Kubiak scheme and our o-line. He was great in Washington but not as much so. Looking back on one of the better trades of the last decade in the entire NFL, I think we got the better end.

We were also well known for our dynamic running game, and one of the best trios in LBs for while. I ended up picking Williams and Miller on the outside, but guys like Mobley or Ian Gold were all pro bowl quality IMO. I will also miss Gold running up and down the sidelines like a wild man when we got a big play.

As far as Kyle Johnson, I liked him as a receiver out of the backfield and I remember some good plays he provided. We also had Mike Anderson at FB and Peyton Hillis, before they became halfbacks. Disagree about Plummer. He seems very Orton-esque...largely successful because of the scheme/talent around him, and broke down in big moments (like the AFC championship game, though the defense was also disappointing then too). In fact, the run game and defense were a large reason for getting to that game. He was generally only "exciting" out of the bootleg, and at the point when he could barely complete a pass, the world was dying to see Cutler.

Of course, there are varying philosophies on how strict a QBs win-loss record or playoff streak should be used as a proxy for their skill, and I myself don't put much into it in general, since a lot of QBs could have gotten us to that point with the skill set around him at the time; of course, some QBs bring teams to the superbowl almost on their own, as is the case with Peyton Manning, and probably people like Aaron Rodgers; we've never had that since Elway (and even he had immense talent around him)...though I suspect Cutler was the closest thing. I think we could have developed a much better offensive talent around him than he experiences in Chicago.