PDA

View Full Version : former QBs debate TEBOW

Chef Zambini
12-07-2011, 11:03 AM
this article does a great job of allowing former qbs to present both sides of the tebow arguement.
It is a great read.http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/7325625/former-nfl-scramblers-split-tim-tebow-future

Jsteve01
12-07-2011, 11:16 AM
Young I love this quote from Young.

"But you let Tim hang around, he'll beat you. He will beat you. There's nobody I can say that more emphatically about than Tim Tebow. If he's around at the end, you're dead."

And Cunningham was more than gracious

"And what's his winning percentage?"

and this

"My first year, I was no more accurate than he was,"

Good read it really sounds like Young is softening on Tebow. He wants to see the Broncos throw more because he feels not doing so is stunting Tim's growth, but it actually sounds like he believes Tim can make the next step.

Northman
12-07-2011, 11:19 AM
Yea, i understand where Young is concerned about the option stunting Tebow's growth but Steve has to understand that this isnt going to be Tebow's offense longterm. Its something that they are using to get him worked into the offense and yet allow him to use his strengths and at the same time we are winning ballgames. While we may see variations of this down the road i think right now they have gone about it the right way. I would really hate to go back and pull up Steve's numbers from his first couple of years, it would make him look foolish.

Jsteve01
12-07-2011, 11:21 AM
Pretty sure most of these interviews took place before Sunday's game as well.

Mike
12-07-2011, 11:22 AM
Yea, i understand where Young is concerned about the option stunting Tebow's growth but Steve has to understand that this isnt going to be Tebow's offense longterm. Its something that they are using to get him worked into the offense and yet allow him to use his strengths and at the same time we are winning ballgames. While we may see variations of this down the road i think right now they have gone about it the right way. I would really hate to go back and pull up Steve's numbers from his first couple of years, it would make him look foolish.

I agree. In the last two games in particular we have already seen a gradual shift from the earlier offense. I think that change will continue as Tebow and the offense grow, though I expect the coaches to use whatever they see the defense giving them.

Dreadnought
12-07-2011, 11:28 AM
I agree. In the last two games in particular we have already seen a gradual shift from the earlier offense. I think that change will continue as Tebow and the offense grow, though I expect the coaches to use whatever they see the defense giving them.

I'm with you guys totally. We actually ran very little option the past few weeks. Its smart to keep it in the playbook and make defenses gameplan for it, and to break it out 5 times a game or so, but we are already moving towards a more conventional look, and succeeding at it.

Jsteve01
12-07-2011, 11:31 AM
Young and Theisman both kind of refuted conventional wisdom and confirmed that qbs take worse hits in the pocket than Tim will on the run. Young went so far as to compare Tebow to a bull.

Northman
12-07-2011, 11:32 AM
Big Ben gets hammered weekly, far more than Tebow at this point.

Chef Zambini
12-07-2011, 11:34 AM
actually , my friends, steve youngsd BUG concern is that TT will NOT get a proper trial period as a PASSER and therefore, whyen the bronco season comes to an end, it will be EASIER for JE to say, hey, I like the kid, I weant him to marry my daughter and all, but we need a passer to play CHAMPIONSHIP football, and we wont get that from tim.
THAT is YOUNGS true CONCERN !
its a great debate and it foreshadows the decision that awaits an embattled john elway!

Chef Zambini
12-07-2011, 11:37 AM
young and theisman, 2 guys that know all too well that the pocket is no guaraNTEE OF SAFETY!
TARKENTON RAN AROUND MORE THAN anyone!
THEY INVENTED THE PHRASE "scramble' to describe his antics.
he stayed safe while guys like joe, steve and troy met their doom standing tall in the pocket.

Thnikkaman
12-07-2011, 12:23 PM
Mods, I would like to bring this thread to your attention. I feel that Zam is Baiting people into arguing with him.

CoachChaz
12-07-2011, 12:30 PM
Let us know when Zam ISNT baiting people

Shazam!
12-07-2011, 12:32 PM
Yeah. They're 'winning in spite of him' yet they weren't good enough to do anything without him the past two Seasons with a pure 'passer' like Orton WHO COULDN'T BRING MORE THAN ONE PLAY IN KC!!!!

What a total load of horseshit.

Zam, come out of it. Embrace Tebow and the Broncos' wild 2011 Season as they will likely ride into the Postseason for the first time since 2005.

Chef Zambini
12-07-2011, 12:33 PM
I'm with you guys totally. We actually ran very little option the past few weeks. Its smart to keep it in the playbook and make defenses gameplan for it, and to break it out 5 times a game or so, but we are already moving towards a more conventional look, and succeeding at it.the broncos are AVOIDING the option because they knowthat teams will take shgots at TT just like seymore did in the raiders game!
they are trying to use it sparingly to avoid injury!
"use only as needed"

Chef Zambini
12-07-2011, 12:37 PM
Yeah. They're 'winning in spite of him' yet they weren't good enough to do anything without him the past two Seasons with a pure 'passer' like Orton WHO COULDN'T BRING MORE THAN ONE PLAY IN KC!!!!

What a total load of horseshit.

Zam, come out of it. Embrace Tebow and the Broncos' wild 2011 Season as they will likely ride into the Postseason for the first time since 2005.it is NOT my embrace that tebow lacks.
JE does NOT embrace TT.
he is now being more complimentary, but his words are measured and well chosen and NOWHERE does he even remotely indicate that TT si NOW our QB of the future... NOWHERE!
if he had somebody would have already posted it and told me to shut the F up. so far theycan only post shut the F up, but cant find words from JE to justify my silence.

slim
12-07-2011, 12:40 PM
it is NOT my embrace that tebow lacks.
JE does NOT embrace TT.
he is now being more complimentary, but his words are measured and well chosen and NOWHERE does he even remotely indicate that TT si NOW our QB of the future... NOWHERE!
if he had somebody would have already posted it and told me to shut the F up. so far theycan only post shut the F up, but cant find words from JE to justify my silence.

He also hasn't said that Von Miller will be the starting OLB next year.

Uh oh, I guess he doesn't like Von!

slim
12-07-2011, 12:40 PM
He also hasn't said that Von Miller will be the starting OLB next year.

Uh oh, I guess he doesn't like Von!

Or Champ!

Or Doom!

BroncoStud
12-07-2011, 12:46 PM
Why does Elway need to embrace Tebow? We're winning too many games and cone draft day there won't be a better option to draft. Tebow is literally playing for his long term viability and so far he has made a decisive case.

So I offer this question to the shot-stirrers... What is the point of Elway publicly endorsing Tebow right now? How does it help the Denver Broncos?

slim
12-07-2011, 01:13 PM
Why does Elway need to embrace Tebow? We're winning too many games and cone draft day there won't be a better option to draft. Tebow is literally playing for his long term viability and so far he has made a decisive case.

So I offer this question to the shot-stirrers... What is the point of Elway publicly endorsing Tebow right now? How does it help the Denver Broncos?

There is a deadline to annouce next years staring line up, you know. Teams must have their starters named today, by 5:00 pm....eastern.

NightTerror218
12-07-2011, 01:30 PM
I love how everyone is split on him.

The NFL has always been know to go through phases, like to most common offense being the 3-4 then the 4-3 and keep switching. It use to be a rush heavy league and now a pass heavy. With so many dual threat QBs in college now a heavy rushing team with 20 passes a game could be a new phase in the NFL. It all depends on what works and creates wins.

karnage
12-07-2011, 01:42 PM
Elway is an exec now and just playing the game....do you honestly think the Jaguars would give a definitive statement if asked about Gabbert right now? My guess is you'd get the same type of answer...or the 9ers about Alex Smith, Ravens and Joe Flacco?

Elway can't win no matter what he says, cause the media will take anything he says and run with it...so he's just doing the smart thing and giving supportive comments...