PDA

View Full Version : RB in 2012

Jsteve01
12-07-2011, 10:00 AM
I know I know don't mess with the mojo, but I just decided I want to embrace this bully mentality on offense. I keep hearing about us needing that change of pace, home run back. Sure they're cool, but even better would be another bruiser to smash opposing defenses in the face. A steady diet imposing our will on the opposition and flat wearing people out. Willis and (Hillis, Tolbert, Bush, Polk or Richardson) How's about 35 or so carries for the running back tandem and another 7 to 10 for Tebow to help the Broncos wear down opposing defenses.

Im mindful of the tandem of Barry Word and Christian OKoye and what they did to other defenses (other than Atwater of course). Or Say Barry Foster and Bam Morris That's a style a think we could all embrace.

And Im pretty sure we could run some play action with that style of running game.

CoachChaz
12-07-2011, 10:04 AM
That's it. Screw the passing league. Bring the run game back to football.

BroncoNut
12-07-2011, 10:23 AM
I'm all for a game controlling solid running scheme. Like two boxers in the ring, the stronger coming at the opponent with a nice and unpredictable mixture of jabs and hooks, uppercuts and body blows to take control of the contest and ultimately, to walk away with the victory. this would mix things up. I like what Willis is doing, and Ball too,.. not that big on the other guy, forget his name, but I am not oppossed to what you are proposing here JSteve.

Shazam!
12-07-2011, 10:27 AM
This is one of Denver's biggest needs in 2012.

Moreno will NEVER be a Feature Back.

Jsteve01
12-07-2011, 10:34 AM

You know Im not saying abandon the pass, but I just remember having nightmares about the Chiefs running game for a few years while word and Okoye were together. There is just something about imposing your will on another team. I think it's more demoralizing to get run over time after time than it is to get beaten in the passing game. And as I stated before I think it opens up PA passes.

Traveler
12-07-2011, 10:37 AM
The kid I wanted the team to at look seriously (Knile Davis) broke his ankle. Not sure if he plans to return to ARK or how well he has progressed during rehab. IMO, he's was a complete back that would be perfect in this offense if he stayed healthy. Has the vision, power, and the speed to take it the distance. Still would love to see him enter the draft.

LTC Pain
12-07-2011, 10:37 AM
This is one of Denver's biggest needs in 2012.

Moreno will NEVER be a Feature Back.

My two cents is that the Broncos' biggest needs are 1) CB then 2) RB then 3)O-line depth/DT.

Traveler
12-07-2011, 10:38 AM
My two cents is that the Broncos' biggest needs are 1) CB then 2) RB then 3)O-line depth/DT.

CB has to be a priority!

BORDERLINE
12-07-2011, 10:42 AM
Denver should really get that home run hitting RB. A Jaquizz Rodgers/Spiller type back that has speed to burn. Also a solid pass catching Fullback would not be a bad idea. We also need a solid TE much like that Graham kid in NO.

Do you guys think Riley Cooper would be a solid option for Tebow to have here. Bringing in some of his former buddy's can get him more comfortable in pass situations since they played with him for a while. Maybe we can ship that 5th from the Lloyd trade.

FlyByU
12-07-2011, 10:48 AM
Bobby Rainey he is "Rated number 10 out of 165 RB's " in next draft. Kid is a monster on the field he can run catch run over or around. They say he is a 5-6th rd pick and if he is there he would be a good addition to the team. Think Berry Sanders...

Bobby Rainey
(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-HQvi2nj6HU)

He got 85yds rushing and 2 catches for 15yds vs. #1 LSU with a crappy team what can this kid do with NFL coaching and Run heavy team?

BroncoNut
12-07-2011, 10:51 AM
a responsible Travis Henry type would be ideal

turftoad
12-07-2011, 10:52 AM

Agreed. IMO, we need to draft a top CB, OL and DT. Watching Goodman get burned vs the Vikings was brutal and Champ is getting long in the tooth.

I would LOVE to see us bring in Michael Bush, he's a FA after this year. I think he would fit the offense perfect (assuming we use the same offense) then we don't have to waste a draft pick on a RB.

Also, I don't believe we need to draft a pass catching TE, we did that twice last year. The young ones need to develop.

OrangeHoof
12-07-2011, 11:20 AM

I've said more than once that when the league goes one direction, the smart thing is to go the other because the NFL's scouting people will look for personnel to fit the new fad which leaves your team able to grab the guys that fit your old scheme.

When the 49ers and Cowboys dominated with 4-3 defenses in the late 80s and early 90s, the Steelers chose to stick with the 3-4 and feasted on LBs and D-linemen better suited for the 3-4 because all the copycats were switching to the 4-3.

As the NFL has become more pass-happy, the defense has looked for lighter, faster guys. Safeties become LBs and LBs become DEs and DEs become DTs. There's also been a de-emphasis on proper tackling techniques in favor of just pushing people down while trying to strip the ball carrier.

IOW, if you brought back a Word-Okoye type of ground attack, it would likely succeed because opponents would not have the right personnel to stop it. I do think we need another solid RB because I'm not sold on the durability of McGahee/Moreno.

The only problem with building a ball control offense is that they typically aren't good comeback teams. You have to play stout defense and keep the game close. Fall behind by 2-3 touchdowns and it will be a long day.

BigSarge87
12-07-2011, 11:37 AM
^^^^ This. I would love to steal Bush from the Raiders and watch him dominate in this offense. RB's are easier to find in FA. Save the draft picks for CB/OL/DL.

Not to mention when the Raiders lose McFadden again (inevitable) next year they won't be able to rely on Bush if he's with us.

Edit: Oops, Hoof sneaked one in on me, I meant to agree with the one above it.

BroncoNut
12-07-2011, 11:39 AM
I've said more than once that when the league goes one direction, the smart thing is to go the other because the NFL's scouting people will look for personnel to fit the new fad which leaves your team able to grab the guys that fit your old scheme.

When the 49ers and Cowboys dominated with 4-3 defenses in the late 80s and early 90s, the Steelers chose to stick with the 3-4 and feasted on LBs and D-linemen better suited for the 3-4 because all the copycats were switching to the 4-3.

As the NFL has become more pass-happy, the defense has looked for lighter, faster guys. Safeties become LBs and LBs become DEs and DEs become DTs. There's also been a de-emphasis on proper tackling techniques in favor of just pushing people down while trying to strip the ball carrier.

IOW, if you brought back a Word-Okoye type of ground attack, it would likely succeed because opponents would not have the right personnel to stop it. I do think we need another solid RB because I'm not sold on the durability of McGahee/Moreno.

The only problem with building a ball control offense is that they typically aren't good comeback teams. You have to play stout defense and keep the game close. Fall behind by 2-3 touchdowns and it will be a long day.

this is a really interesting and intelligent post. :2thumbs:

nevcraw
12-07-2011, 12:01 PM
1. CB or 2. RB 3. Ankle breaking slot guy 4 -- 7 depth...

Hope moore rebounds. Hope Irving is the MLB to replace Mays
Chris Harris looks like the slot CB is locked up..
get a running back in FA and we are in even better shape.

turftoad
12-07-2011, 12:03 PM
1. CB or 2. RB 3. Ankle breaking slot guy 4 -- 7 depth...

Hope moore rebounds. Hope Irving is the MLB to replace Mays
Chris Harris looks like the slot CB is locked up..
get a running back in FA and we are in even better shape.

I think Mays has been playing very well. Happy with Harris also. :salute:

NightTerror218
12-07-2011, 01:33 PM
Denver should really get that home run hitting RB. A Jaquizz Rodgers/Spiller type back that has speed to burn. Also a solid pass catching Fullback would not be a bad idea. We also need a solid TE much like that Graham kid in NO.

Do you guys think Riley Cooper would be a solid option for Tebow to have here. Bringing in some of his former buddy's can get him more comfortable in pass situations since they played with him for a while. Maybe we can ship that 5th from the Lloyd trade.

I would love Rodgers has a 3rd down back in Denver...not to mention my wife is a die hard Oregon State beaver, so that would make he transition to watching NFL easier. She knew him there too. He is a small bruiser that is incredibly quick. He was slower then his brother over big distances but quicker off line and good burst speed.

NightTerror218
12-07-2011, 01:34 PM
I think Mays has been playing very well. Happy with Harris also. :salute:

Mays however is not making a name for himself in the middle of the field. I want offenses to dread passing in the middle due to WR being lit up if pass is not perfect like in the good ol days, throw it a lil high and WR would be laid out by MLB.

Joel
12-07-2011, 03:05 PM
Honestly? The kind of running attack I'd like is something like the pro style from the '50s, where one or two leaders of a committe running game got a third of the plays and the other two-thirds were equally split between the QB running and passing. That was NOT (and I can't emphasize this enough) an option offense; when the QB ran it was usually a called QB run, and likewise when the halfback did. A lot of backs can do well as the "feature" in that kind of offense; they don't get hit nearly as much and have subs to share the load. I would prefer an agile breakaway threat to a power runner though.

In terms of 2012 though, right now CB, G and WR are far higher priorities for me than RB, because McGahees ability to make big runs has exceeded my expectations, while his short yardage power running is as good as it has been throughout his career.

NightTerror218
12-07-2011, 03:08 PM
Honestly? The kind of running attack I'd like is something like the pro style from the '50s, where one or two leaders of a committe running game got a third of the plays and the other two-thirds were equally split between the QB running and passing. That was NOT (and I can't emphasize this enough) an option offense; when the QB ran it was usually a called QB run, and likewise when the halfback did. A lot of backs can do well as the "feature" in that kind of offense; they don't get hit nearly as much and have subs to share the load. I would prefer an agile breakaway threat to a power runner though.

In terms of 2012 though, right now CB, G and WR are far higher priorities for me than RB, because McGahees ability to make big runs has exceeded my expectations, while his short yardage power running is as good as it has been throughout his career.

why G? OL has been great last few games. I think later round pick ups to add some depth there. I much rather fill gaping holes like CB, RB, DL and MLB if one stands out to be a steal early like Miller.

CrazyHorse
12-07-2011, 04:23 PM
I say sign Peyton Hillis and draft Jeff Demps. Power and speed!

Joel
12-07-2011, 06:53 PM

Lot of good points there. The League still hasn't fully embraced a shift to the 3-4, but even with teams more or less evenly divided it means a lot of 4-3 players are available to teams that otherwise wouldn't have draft picks high enough to get them (of course, the same could be said for 3-4 players, but the demand for them is rising while the demand for the others is falling.) The funny thing is, for all the early arguments about the wisdom of Fox taking us back to 4-3, whether he did so could be debated. Think about it: Does Von Miller play more like the traditional 4-3 Sam, or more like the 3-4 OLB he was in college (and Doom was under McDumbass)? The stars of our D are the Sam and DE who'd be OLBs in a 3-4, which is what they're playing like. Our Wills predominantly play the kind of over the middle pass coverage for which 3-4 ILBs are usually responsible, and Mays at MLB joins them at least as often as he blitzes. It may be a 4-3 on paper, but a casual observer could be excused for thinking it a 3-4 with undersized linemen.

That aside, League rules have indisputably energized explosive multi-threat passing that have in turn encouraged 3-4s better suited to covering TEs and FBs over the middle as well as blitzing. That can only go so far before the League tweaks rules the other way to preserve competitive balance and thus interest from paying fans. When the League clamps down on passing and the pendulum swings back, the most successful teams will be those whose offenses employ the running attack benefiting from that, and whose defences can stop those offenses. Any team that builds for that now will be ahead of the curve and among the successful prototypes of what will then be the dominant NFL style.

Fox, Tebow and Miller could be combining for a perfect storm in Denver, and a "back to the future" team more reminiscent of the T-quarterbacks of the '40s and '50s than any kind of option football. A feature back would certainly help, but running by committee was the norm then and might work with it again. It's a style of play where offenses have the ball longer but run less plays. A true "feature" back might run 20 times or more while the quarterback has 15 runs and 15 passes. Lacking a star runner, the primary back may only run a dozen times and a committee of subs run as many more. Either way, most of the pass attempts will be for big gains/scores, and few if any of the runs will be option plays: The QB OR halfback will run on plays where he was the call from the start. Even when you have a feature back he'll be a lot more durable because he gets hit less than in an offense where he's the only running threat on a team that does nothing else.

Magnificent Seven
12-07-2011, 07:05 PM
IMO...

1. Runningback

2. Cornerback

3. Defensive Tackle

4. Fullback

Joel
12-07-2011, 07:22 PM
why G? OL has been great last few games. I think later round pick ups to add some depth there. I much rather fill gaping holes like CB, RB, DL and MLB if one stands out to be a steal early like Miller.
Because, except for Kuper, our guards suck. Also because I expect (hope) Clady will return to a high level of play once healthy and Franklin will be a better blind side protector for Cutler after a full season and off season. The offensive line has been better the last few games, but Tebows natural elusiveness and strength combined with McGahees power (and a lot more elusiveness of his own than I expected) make them look better than they actually are. Both my eyes and every stat on them say they've been pretty miserable for the season as a whole. Our LG and C in particular pass block only adequately while run blocking poorly, and the latter is the primary thing I want from guards, doubly so with a run oriented offense like Foxs. We don't need depth there, or rather, we need bona fide starters to replace Beadles and Walton, who might qualify as decent depth, but little more.

Apart from CB, I don't see the same gaping holes you do. Everyone is justifiably raving about Bunkley exceeding expectations and laughing at the Eagles for giving him away cheap; he's a plugger who doesn't do much against the pass except occupy blockers, but that's all I demand from a NT. Part of the reason I don't demand more is that it's allowed Thomas to perform well in the UT position for which his skillset, size and speed has always been best suited. I don't think a major upgrade is necessary, or even possible, for Doom, which brings us to Ayers, who's very solidly provided exactly what I want from a 4-3 LDE: Rock solid against the run and an occasional blitz threat. The defensive line might could benefit from better depth, and a true star at DT would not hurt but for the first time in a long time I do not see any gaping holes there.

Linebacker is the only place where I can say with confidence any draft pick would be an utter waste. Once Miller has the experience to diagnose formations, call defensive audibles and cover TEs/backs over the middle he would be a stand out MLB. Haggan is a fine Sam on his own right, brutal in the primary responsibility of run stuffing and a respectable blitzer, only somewhat deficient in the speed necessary for good pass coverage--but that is also the lowest priority for that position (else Miller wouldn't be a DRoY candidate there.) Mays is a versatile and steady, if usually unremarkable, player who'd be a reliable backup for either. DJ and Woodyard round out the group as fast Wills more than adequate to keeping up with Dallas Clark, Antonio Gates and Tony Gonzales (DJ has made a career out of it despite perennial criticism) even if they won't necessarily score interceptions every time. Drafting a MLB would be like drafting a QB: Why get a rookie who MIGHT be as good by the END of next season as the guy who's ALREADY so good the whole country's talking about him? Far from being a gaping hole, I think the linebacker corps is the one and only truly unit that's SOLID all the way down to the bench. That, incidentally, is why I don't like going BPA when teams have enough talent depth in places to be a playoff contender: I don't want to spend my top picks on guys who force me to bench/trade a good player when I have REAL holes elsewhere.

I wouldn't mind a star RB, but would hardly call McGahee a gaping hole either, and I don't expect him to retire tomorrow. I expected him to be purely a power back with no value except in short yardage, Jerome Bettis without the size, but he's repeatedly proven me wrong. Ball has occasionally shown some nice speed and moves also, though I don't expect him to ever be a star. I wouldn't mind a bona fide burner, but think our running (and passing) game would benefit a lot more from major upgrades at C and LG, for reasons already noted.

Hope that answers your question: Not those positions because I don't see them as holes, and because I DO see G, along with DB and WR (where we have no reliable performer after Decker) as truly gaping holes.

Mays however is not making a name for himself in the middle of the field. I want offenses to dread passing in the middle due to WR being lit up if pass is not perfect like in the good ol days, throw it a lil high and WR would be laid out by MLB.
Unless the League drops rules about defenseless receivers those days are gone, but even if they do Miller can do that job well once he has experience to recognize guys going over the middle call the proper audible.

NightTerror218
12-07-2011, 07:44 PM
Because, except for Kuper, our guards suck. Also because I expect (hope) Clady will return to a high level of play once healthy and Franklin will be a better blind side protector for Cutler after a full season and off season. The offensive line has been better the last few games, but Tebows natural elusiveness and strength combined with McGahees power (and a lot more elusiveness of his own than I expected) make them look better than they actually are. Both my eyes and every stat on them say they've been pretty miserable for the season as a whole. Our LG and C in particular pass block only adequately while run blocking poorly, and the latter is the primary thing I want from guards, doubly so with a run oriented offense like Foxs. We don't need depth there, or rather, we need bona fide starters to replace Beadles and Walton, who might qualify as decent depth, but little more.

Apart from CB, I don't see the same gaping holes you do. Everyone is justifiably raving about Bunkley exceeding expectations and laughing at the Eagles for giving him away cheap; he's a plugger who doesn't do much against the pass except occupy blockers, but that's all I demand from a NT. Part of the reason I don't demand more is that it's allowed Thomas to perform well in the UT position for which his skillset, size and speed has always been best suited. I don't think a major upgrade is necessary, or even possible, for Doom, which brings us to Ayers, who's very solidly provided exactly what I want from a 4-3 LDE: Rock solid against the run and an occasional blitz threat. The defensive line might could benefit from better depth, and a true star at DT would not hurt but for the first time in a long time I do not see any gaping holes there.

Linebacker is the only place where I can say with confidence any draft pick would be an utter waste. Once Miller has the experience to diagnose formations, call defensive audibles and cover TEs/backs over the middle he would be a stand out MLB. Haggan is a fine Sam on his own right, brutal in the primary responsibility of run stuffing and a respectable blitzer, only somewhat deficient in the speed necessary for good pass coverage--but that is also the lowest priority for that position (else Miller wouldn't be a DRoY candidate there.) Mays is a versatile and steady, if usually unremarkable, player who'd be a reliable backup for either. DJ and Woodyard round out the group as fast Wills more than adequate to keeping up with Dallas Clark, Antonio Gates and Tony Gonzales (DJ has made a career out of it despite perennial criticism) even if they won't necessarily score interceptions every time. Drafting a MLB would be like drafting a QB: Why get a rookie who MIGHT be as good by the END of next season as the guy who's ALREADY so good the whole country's talking about him? Far from being a gaping hole, I think the linebacker corps is the one and only truly unit that's SOLID all the way down to the bench. That, incidentally, is why I don't like going BPA when teams have enough talent depth in places to be a playoff contender: I don't want to spend my top picks on guys who force me to bench/trade a good player when I have REAL holes elsewhere.

I wouldn't mind a star RB, but would hardly call McGahee a gaping hole either, and I don't expect him to retire tomorrow. I expected him to be purely a power back with no value except in short yardage, Jerome Bettis without the size, but he's repeatedly proven me wrong. Ball has occasionally shown some nice speed and moves also, though I don't expect him to ever be a star. I wouldn't mind a bona fide burner, but think our running (and passing) game would benefit a lot more from major upgrades at C and LG, for reasons already noted.

Hope that answers your question: Not those positions because I don't see them as holes, and because I DO see G, along with DB and WR (where we have no reliable performer after Decker) as truly gaping holes.

Unless the League drops rules about defenseless receivers those days are gone, but even if they do Miller can do that job well once he has experience to recognize guys going over the middle call the proper audible.

Was a lot to read so I only skimmed. The last few weeks tebow has had forever in the pocket when passing. Our DL does not have any depth. We have no penetrating DT, Bunkley has been great yes. But he is ONE OF TWO DTs. We have a 4-3 so we run 2 DTs. That is why so many people are raving about it because Thomas has been doing his part, Warren is suppose to be that be is always injured.

I see Mays as a good solid backup. I want a MLB who can run the show and adjust the defense. I want a leader for the front 7 right there, just like Ray Lewis and many other teams have. Our Defensive leaders are both in the secondary.

As we saw when Moreno went out and McGahee was injured we do not have a dominant RB. Moreno could not fill his shoes, Lance Ball is just not as explosive, Johnson has not proven to be worthy of being off practice squad yet.

As for the defenseless receiver, Ray Lewis still owns the middle of field and lays people out LEGALLY. MLB normally make the audible calls as they are in the center of the field. Von Miller is a pass rush specialist, so he is most likely going to be blitzing.

i agree with DB (CB only though). WR we have Thomas who was great against Vikings, Decker who has been a steal, Royal and Willis. This is a very young receiving corps. We need a Vet in there, but adding more rookies will not change anything. I also think OL needs more depth, it is very weak.

catfish
12-07-2011, 08:08 PM

Cooper is a WR who loves to block, otherwise pretty unremarkable talent wise

weazel
12-07-2011, 08:10 PM
I know I know don't mess with the mojo, but I just decided I want to embrace this bully mentality on offense. I keep hearing about us needing that change of pace, home run back. Sure they're cool, but even better would be another bruiser to smash opposing defenses in the face. A steady diet imposing our will on the opposition and flat wearing people out. Willis and (Hillis, Tolbert, Bush, Polk or Richardson) How's about 35 or so carries for the running back tandem and another 7 to 10 for Tebow to help the Broncos wear down opposing defenses.

Im mindful of the tandem of Barry Word and Christian OKoye and what they did to other defenses (other than Atwater of course). Or Say Barry Foster and Bam Morris That's a style a think we could all embrace.

And Im pretty sure we could run some play action with that style of running game.

I dont consider Hillis a bruising power back. The guy is a constant walking injury. Has he played more than a handful of games in any season? Ive never understood the love that he gets from some.
PASS

Joel
12-07-2011, 11:13 PM
Was a lot to read so I only skimmed. The last few weeks tebow has had forever in the pocket when passing. Our DL does not have any depth. We have no penetrating DT, Bunkley has been great yes. But he is ONE OF TWO DTs. We have a 4-3 so we run 2 DTs. That is why so many people are raving about it because Thomas has been doing his part, Warren is suppose to be that be is always injured.
The line pass blocks better than it run blocks, but only relatively, and I want great run blocking from my guards, especially on a run oriented team like Foxs. Our guards don't deliver there.
I see your point on DT depth, but assumed we were talking about first day picks (and thus starters, not benchwarmers) with our priorities. A DT in the 4th or 5th would be fine, but Day One I want starters at DB, G and WR.

I see Mays as a good solid backup. I want a MLB who can run the show and adjust the defense. I want a leader for the front 7 right there, just like Ray Lewis and many other teams have. Our Defensive leaders are both in the secondary.
I agree, but see Miller in that role in a year or two. Much as you argue with WRs, a rookie wouldn't add the experience that is the only thing he lacks now. Once Miller CAN assume that role, Haggan is our more traditional Sam, Mays is a great backup for both and DJ/Woodyard lock down Will, leaving no reason to draft a LB in any round.

As we saw when Moreno went out and McGahee was injured we do not have a dominant RB. Moreno could not fill his shoes, Lance Ball is just not as explosive, Johnson has not proven to be worthy of being off practice squad yet.
Same problem as before: Obviously we have no dominant back when our #1 and #2 are hurt, but that's depth, and I don't draft depth in the first rounds. Again, a RB in the 4th or 5th round would be fine.

As for the defenseless receiver, Ray Lewis still owns the middle of field and lays people out LEGALLY. MLB normally make the audible calls as they are in the center of the field. Von Miller is a pass rush specialist, so he is most likely going to be blitzing.
Michael Vick is a better standard of acceptable conduct than Lewis, IMHO; if 10 Pro Bowls let a guy get away with murder he won't be flagged for hitting defenseless receivers, but don't expect that indulgence for everyone.

Miller's a pass rush specialist NOW; he played 3-4 OLB (et al.) at A&M and only needs the experience a rookie would, but already has and is gaining more. He also played 4-3 Will, DE and tweener under various A&M coaching regimes, so, unlike most rookies, he's started diverse positions in the front seven that lower the learning curve for an NFL Mike. He'll soon have the knowledge to go with the existing speed, size and smarts of a top MLB. He can become our defensive QB much sooner than any (potential bust) rookie next year.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Von_Miller#College_career

i agree with DB (CB only though). WR we have Thomas who was great against Vikings, Decker who has been a steal, Royal and Willis. This is a very young receiving corps. We need a Vet in there, but adding more rookies will not change anything. I also think OL needs more depth, it is very weak.
Dawkins turned 38 last month; while still a big hitter, he's slowed a lot and will retire in one, MAYBE two, years. It's not clear either safety drafted last year can replace him (I'd have more faith in Harris replacing Goodman.)
Thomas needs more than one good game per season; if he steps up down the stretch and stays healthy WR is OK, but right now neither he nor Royal performs consistently. I like Willis, but don't think he's a #1 or #2 WR.
Beadles and Walton would be (barely) acceptable depth at G if we had legit starters.