PDA

View Full Version : NBC, CBS fighting over Tim Tebow vs. Tom Brady

Denver Native (Carol)
12-06-2011, 03:19 PM
Tim Tebow and the Broncos may be headed to prime time again, but not if CBS gets its way.

The NFL and NBC want to switch the Broncos' Dec. 18 game vs. New England at Denver to its Sunday Night Football broadcast at 6:20 p.m. Kickoff currently is scheduled for 2:15 p.m., but NBC wants to show the game in favor of a Baltimore-San Diego matchup that had previously been scheduled that night.

NBC's contract with the NFL gives the partners a "flex" schedule to switch to a more compelling game than the one originally scheduled for prime time.

rest of article - http://www.denverpost.com/sports/ci_19481626

Northman
12-06-2011, 03:24 PM
I think NE/Den would be a better game anyway. Rivers is going to get his ass kicked by Bmore.

camdisco24
12-06-2011, 03:27 PM
I don't understand why the pats owner is fighting it??

Is he worried that Tom Brady can't handle the cold mountain air in Denver at that time of night?

Denver Native (Carol)
12-06-2011, 03:28 PM
I think NE/Den would be a better game anyway. Rivers is going to get his ass kicked by Bmore.

Agree - I think the problem is that CBS lost the Broncos/Minnesota game, and does not want to lose another one.

TXBRONC
12-06-2011, 03:31 PM

That's worth a prime time audience. :beer:

Mobile Post via http://Mobile.BroncosForums.com/forums

WTE
12-06-2011, 03:37 PM

Is he worried that Tom Brady can't handle the cold mountain air in Denver at that time of night?

No, he's not worried about that.

He's fighting it for two reasons:

1. The Patriots and CBS have a cushy relationship. CBS built it's CBS Scene Restaurant and Bar at Patriots Place. I'm sure CBS asked Kraft to lobby the NFL to keep the game on CBS.

2. The Patriots only have 4 games this year scheduled as the early Sunday matchup. The rest are either the late Sunday afternoon or Sunday or Monday Night game. NFL teams obviously prefer the earlier times to play for travel and rest reasons. I'm sure Belichick asked Kraft to lobby the NFL on his team's behalf.

I'm hoping the game get's moved to Sunday Night. It would be very compelling watching Brady vs. Tebow.

Denver Native (Carol)
12-06-2011, 03:48 PM

1. The Patriots and CBS have a cushy relationship. CBS built it's CBS Scene Restaurant and Bar at Patriots Place. I'm sure CBS asked Kraft to lobby the NFL to keep the game on CBS.

2. The Patriots only have 4 games this year scheduled as the early Sunday matchup. The rest are either the late Sunday afternoon or Sunday or Monday Night game. NFL teams obviously prefer the earlier times to play for travel and rest reasons. I'm sure Belichick asked Kraft to lobby the NFL on his team's behalf.

I'm hoping the game get's moved to Sunday Night. It would be very compelling watching Brady vs. Tebow.

And in general - CBS carries the AFC and Fox the NFC.

Skacorica
12-06-2011, 03:49 PM
Call me a debbie downer, but Im a little nervous that this will be the game that we get punched in the face. After the ridicule we've had all year, Id hate for it to be on national tv...

WTE
12-06-2011, 03:54 PM
Call me a debbie downer, but Im a little nervous that this will be the game that we get punched in the face. After the ridicule we've had all year, Id hate for it to be on national tv...

Good point Debbie.

Buff
12-06-2011, 03:56 PM
This is a terrible article. It fails to mention any tangible reason that CBS would be able to intervene, or give any details about what it is they are negotiating.

lgenf
12-06-2011, 04:10 PM
Like there is any interest in the broncos games....yeah right

horsepig
12-06-2011, 04:15 PM
CBS is all twisted up because they lost Tebow Sunday, thay did't have the Jets game, and they also didn't carry the SD game. They feel cheated because they've gotten shorted on 3 games with Tebow they normally would broadcast.

I'm sure the Broncos are getting more viewers than usual because of all the Tebow hype nationwide. They didn't actually get "shorted" any game except the Minn. game though.

I'm wrong about the Sparkler game, CBS did carry that one.

WTE
12-06-2011, 04:16 PM
This is a terrible article. It fails to mention any tangible reason that CBS would be able to intervene, or give any details about what it is they are negotiating.

During weeks 11-16 Fox and CBS are allowed to protect a total of five Sunday afternoon games, but not more than one per week, and NBC selects which game they want to air.

CBS may have already protected this one or they might have already used up their allotted protections.

It's also my understanding today is the last day NBC can announce their Baltimore/San Diego game has been flexed out in favor of another match up.

Magnificent Seven
12-06-2011, 04:17 PM

Because Patriots Owner and Patriots have bad feelings about losing to Broncos in prime time. Plus Broncos fans will raise some hell!

Superchop 7
12-06-2011, 04:19 PM
If we get a good bump on the receivers at the line of scrimmage.....we can win. One....it screws with Bradys timing....two....it gives our guys that extra second to get to Brady.

New England has some holes, they will have their hands full with us.

Ravage!!!
12-06-2011, 05:15 PM

Not with NE's defense.

Superchop 7
12-06-2011, 06:55 PM
Let me put it this way......NE's back up QB had better stay warmed up.

BORDERLINE
12-06-2011, 06:55 PM

So true,

Hey North loving the new Avi!!!!!

MNPatsFan
12-06-2011, 07:05 PM

I'm hoping the game get's moved to Sunday Night. It would be very compelling watching Brady vs. Tebow.I think that the Patriots may also be fighting it because there will already be a shortened week to prepare for the Miami game the next weekend due to the Christmas holiday. As a result, they want to return home as early as possible on Sunday night after playing Denver rather than Monday morning and losing another day of preparation.

underrated29
12-06-2011, 07:05 PM
oh man I hope like crazy they flex this game.

I have a hockey game at 4:00 that day. So if they dont flex it I will only be able to watch like 45 minutes worth of the game. We also always lose when I see some of the game and then go play my own hockey game.

This needs to get flexed now. CBS shove it up your butt. You can get the playoffs or something.

Dzone
12-06-2011, 07:11 PM
Either way, we are going to dominate NE. That will be the most complete game all year.
If it is the prime time game, it will get max coverage. After that game, we will be hearing Super Bowl talk. This season is too magical and improbable not to end in a Super Bowl.

WTE
12-06-2011, 07:25 PM
Either way, we are going to dominate NE. That will be the most complete game all year.
If it is the prime time game, it will get max coverage. After that game, we will be hearing Super Bowl talk. This season is too magical and improbable not to end in a Super Bowl.

Gag me with a spoon.

Weren't you guys saying that after McD's 6-0 start?

camdisco24
12-06-2011, 09:16 PM
Gag me with a spoon.

Not many....

camdisco24
12-06-2011, 10:35 PM
Just a quick update for everyone as excited as me to see if this game will be flexed. Gonna have to wait til the morning to find out now:

CBS and NBC, the two networks with the rights and intention to broadcast the much-anticipated December 18 matchup between the Broncos and the Patriots, spent Tuesday engaged in a tug-of-war over which will ultimately show the game.

Despite a midnight deadline to determine whether it would be ‘‘flexed’’ from a 4:15 p.m start on CBS’s Sunday schedule to NBC’s prime-time ‘‘Sunday Night Football’’ time slot, the matter was not settled.

The NFL announced at approximately 8:30 p.m. that it will determine Wednesday morning which network will carry the game.

http://www.boston.com/sports/touching_all_the_bases/2011/12/nfl_to_decide_on_patriots-bron.html

OrangeHoof
12-07-2011, 12:08 AM
NBC pays how much per game to show NFL football in prime time? And CBS pays how much per game to show NFL football? For that reason, I think NBC wins however if Kraft doesn't want to move the game and the Broncos don't care, I could see CBS winning.

On a slightly different topic, I've always felt CBS' involvement in Patriot Place is a blatant conflict of interests. If there's an issue where the Patriots benefit one way or CBS benefits another, which team/network do you think will get favoritism in that discussion? And even if it isn't decided by favoritism, how do they expect anyone else to believe them?

And I'm tired of Jim Nantz kissing Patriot ass every chance he gets.

Canmore
12-07-2011, 12:52 AM
NBC pays how much per game to show NFL football in prime time? And CBS pays how much per game to show NFL football? For that reason, I think NBC wins however if Kraft doesn't want to move the game and the Broncos don't care, I could see CBS winning.

On a slightly different topic, I've always felt CBS' involvement in Patriot Place is a blatant conflict of interests. If there's an issue where the Patriots benefit one way or CBS benefits another, which team/network do you think will get favoritism in that discussion? And even if it isn't decided by favoritism, how do they expect anyone else to believe them?

And I'm tired of Jim Nantz kissing Patriot ass every chance he gets.

Too true but not going to change anytime soon. :tsk:

Canmore
12-07-2011, 12:59 AM
Not with NE's defense.

Bill, the defensive guru, must be having nightmares with New England's performance. They are dead last. Toss in Tebow and the Denver offensive scheme and maybe he will have a stroke.

Skacorica
12-07-2011, 02:00 AM
Gag me with a spoon.

If you'd like a new england reach around, Im sure there is plenty of that on patsfans.

Flex040679
12-07-2011, 03:22 AM

Its not that he's worried its that he knows he can't handle it and that the patriots have one win lifetime in bronco country

Canmore
12-07-2011, 03:27 AM
Its not that he's worried its that he knows he can't handle it and that the patriots have one win lifetime in bronco country

So he cares what time he loses?

Flex040679
12-07-2011, 03:46 AM
It's the difference between a small part of the county seeing you lose to team with a qb everyone says can't play or the entire country watching you lose to a qb who the experts say can't play the position to save his life.... Saving face just in case the golden boy loses to a less talented qb

Flex040679
12-07-2011, 03:50 AM
Just my opinion anyways... Plus the Von Miller affect

Everyone gets to also see what happens to a qb like Tom Brady when 58 is licking his paws after a round of Brady filet

Canmore
12-07-2011, 03:53 AM
It's the difference between a small part of the county seeing you lose to team with a qb everyone says can't play or the entire country watching you lose to a qb who the experts say can't play the position to save his life.... Saving face just in case the golden boy loses to a less talented qb

If it stays in the 2:15 Mountain time slot it will be broadcast to most of the nation. Either way a large number of viewers will be tuned in. This will not be a small time game.

Canmore
12-07-2011, 04:26 AM
This game will be on a single game for CBS and if they get the game Phil Simms and Jim Nantz will call the game.

John Bad Elk
12-07-2011, 05:54 AM
Sunday night would be awesomem then I can watch the game here Monday morning without having to stay up all night.

John Bad Elk
12-07-2011, 05:55 AM
Oh yeah - GO BRONCOS!!

Canmore
12-07-2011, 06:16 AM
Sunday night would be awesomem then I can watch the game here Monday morning without having to stay up all night.

It would be great for all the out of market Broncos fans if they flex the game.

MNPatsFan
12-07-2011, 11:37 AM
NBC pays how much per game to show NFL football in prime time? And CBS pays how much per game to show NFL football? For that reason, I think NBC wins however if Kraft doesn't want to move the game and the Broncos don't care, I could see CBS winning.How much each network pays is somewhat irrelevant because NBC has to pay a premium in order to be able to essentially "cherry pick" the best games every week. CBS and Fox on the other hand don't have to pay a premium because they are required to air every game including the stinker games.

CBS and Fox were granted some limited protections in being able to protect games from being flexed. Moreover, CBS lost last week's Broncos game to Fox, not NBC, and therefore probably believes it should not lose another Broncos game, especially given how much interest that game will probably generate.

On a slightly different topic, I've always felt CBS' involvement in Patriot Place is a blatant conflict of interests. If there's an issue where the Patriots benefit one way or CBS benefits another, which team/network do you think will get favoritism in that discussion? And even if it isn't decided by favoritism, how do they expect anyone else to believe them?Just like Fox, NBC, ESPN and the NFL Network, the ONLY interests CBS is going to advocate and protect are its own interests. CBS couldn't care less about advocating or protecting the Patriots' interests unless the Pats interests and CBS' interests are compatible or the same.

And I'm tired of Jim Nantz kissing Patriot ass every chance he gets.Well he is off-set by Phil Sims trashing or denigrating the Patriots every chance he gets.

OrangeHoof
12-07-2011, 11:50 AM
CBS couldn't care less about advocating or protecting the Patriots' interests unless the Pats interests and CBS' interests are compatible or the same.

But that's the point. CBS owns a restaurant/sports bar right next to Gillette Stadium. They don't have that in the other 31 cities so it is in CBS' interests to see that the Patriots do well so that their restaurant does well.

If the Patriots get one home playoff game, does that benefit CBS' restaurant? Of course it does. If they get two home playoff games, does that benefit CBS' restaurant more than one playoff game? Of course it does.

And how do the Patriots get home playoff games? By having the best record in the AFC so if there's anything CBS can do to help the Patriots get the best record in the AFC, CBS will do it because it also helps CBS' business.

CBS does not have that sort of financial investment in the Steelers or the Chargers or the Broncos. Only the Patriots.

As I said before, it's a blatant conflict of interest.

MNPatsFan
12-07-2011, 12:07 PM
But that's the point. CBS owns a restaurant/sports bar right next to Gillette Stadium. They don't have that in the other 31 cities so it is in CBS' interests to see that the Patriots do well so that their restaurant does well.

If the Patriots get one home playoff game, does that benefit CBS' restaurant? Of course it does. If they get two home playoff games, does that benefit CBS' restaurant more than one playoff game? Of course it does.

And how do the Patriots get home playoff games? By having the best record in the AFC so if there's anything CBS can do to help the Patriots get the best record in the AFC, CBS will do it because it also helps CBS' business.

CBS does not have that sort of financial investment in the Steelers or the Chargers or the Broncos. Only the Patriots.

As I said before, it's a blatant conflict of interest.So CBS fighting to keep the Broncos vs Patriots game, which probably is the game generating the most interest that weekend, on CBS helps the Patriots get the best record in the AFC how????:confused:

There is no disputing that it doesn't, but it does help CBS' viewership and ultimately finances to keep the game on CBS.

Of course you can conjure up and create this or another conspiracy theory, but it doesn't mean the theory has any validity.;)

WTE
12-07-2011, 12:15 PM

Yeah that and...

Tim Tebow will be able to attend noon Mass!

vandammage13
12-07-2011, 12:19 PM
Yeah that and...

Tim Tebow will be able to attend noon Mass!

Teebs is not Catholic, and therefore probably doesn't attend Mass.

WTE
12-07-2011, 12:25 PM
Teebs is not Catholic, and therefore probably doesn't attend Mass.

But if I was to say Tebow could now attend noon Christian Service it wouldn't have been as funny.

BigSarge87
12-07-2011, 12:55 PM
But if I was to say Tebow could now attend noon Christian Service it wouldn't have been as funny.

It wasn't funny anyway.

rcsodak
12-07-2011, 01:27 PM
If we get a good bump on the receivers at the line of scrimmage.....we can win. One....it screws with Bradys timing....two....it gives our guys that extra second to get to Brady.

New England has some holes, they will have their hands full with us.
I think that problem has been adressed, looking at their last couple of wins.

rcsodak
12-07-2011, 01:29 PM
Lmao....when was the last time this team dominated anybody? :lol:

Luv your positiveness, but......

karnage
12-07-2011, 01:34 PM
Lmao....when was the last time this team dominated anybody? :lol:

Luv your positiveness, but......

I would say they dominated the Raiders in the second half of the game ...they out scored them 31-7....They also dominated the Chiefs even though they didn't score a ton....then ran roughshod over them all day and the Chiefs were never a threat to win that game...they were so beat up they even admitted it led to their defeat next week...