PDA

View Full Version : Trade oppritunities

oobehr
01-26-2009, 06:06 PM
I have been lurking for a while ever since shanny got fired, looking for news and rumors. So I wanted to see what you guys thought about this:

There have been rumors, mostly from that Blue Run guy, that the broncos staff was looking for a wide receiver to draft in the first round. Say they do end up going that route. What do you think about trading Brandon Marshall?

He is a great player and has a huge reputation now but also he could be put in the category of receivers that could become distractions- think T.O. or Chad Johnson or even Anquan Boldin now. His play towards the end of the year kinda fell. His production in the last few games was less than stellar and I saw a few too many drops for my liking. If we end up going with one of these big name wide recievers in the first or second round I feel like we could get some solid value out of marshall, heck the lions got 3 picks for Roy Williams I wonder what we could get for Marshall, who has a good reputation now that he had 2 great seasons after being virtually nobody.

But I guess if we don't go for a big name wide reciever on the first day I would rather keep him.

On a side note what about Daniel Graham if we end up getting one of the big name tight ends? He has a couple super bowls under his belt and had a solid year, I could see some teams that have horrible te's jumping at the chance to get Graham.

NameUsedBefore
01-26-2009, 06:09 PM
I will eat my guitar picks if we take a wide receiver in the first round.

oobehr
01-26-2009, 06:12 PM
I will to. But if we do I wouldn't mind trading marshall somewhere for something good. Trade him to the giants maybe for Justin Tuck or something along those lines. I could see philly jumping at the chance to get marshall or graham.

dogfish
01-26-2009, 06:14 PM
receivers take to long too develop, no need to trade 'em once you've done it. . . . i'd rather fill the holes we have rather than creating new ones and then having to fill them also-- that's treading water at best, IMO. . . i'd like to see us fix the efense rather than making lateral moves in the receiving corps. . . . besides, guys like marshall and graham are proven commodities-- we'd look awfully silly if we give up a pro bowl receiver who hasn't come close to his full potential yet, and "replace" him with a rookie that busts. . . .

yardog
01-26-2009, 06:15 PM
:tsk: I don't like your trade ideas but Welcome anyways.

TXBRONC
01-26-2009, 06:19 PM
First of all welcome to Broncos Forums. :welcome:

Now with pleasantries out of the way let me get to responding to your question.

Personally I don't like the idea of trading way a mega talent in Marshall who can only better. If we did what you suggest that means now we develop new rookie wide receiver. It's very rare for a wide out to come and do what Eddie Royal did this past season. Wide receivers can take two to three years to develop. Marshall is somewhat of diva but I don't he rises to the level of a T.O or Chad Johnson.

Also if we do that then were not addressing the problems on defense and I don't think that's going to fly. While McDaniels is being touted as up and coming offensive minded coach I don't doubt for one minute Bowlen wanted to know what he was going to do about the defense and that it had to be the top priority.

oobehr
01-26-2009, 06:19 PM
I'm not saying we make these trades or drafts I am just saying if we ended up drafting a rumored TE or WR in the first 2 rounds, these guys might carry some strong value.

TXBRONC
01-26-2009, 06:21 PM

If we do take a wide receiver in the first round and you do eat your guitar pick could streamer it so I can watch? :D (I'm kidding NUB)

TXBRONC
01-26-2009, 06:23 PM
I'm not saying we make these trades or drafts I am just saying if we ended up drafting a rumored TE or WR in the first 2 rounds, these guys might carry some strong value.

Marshall would have a lot of value but to trade him away is tantamount to cutting off your nose to spite your face. I would also take that rumor with a very large grain of salt.

turftoad
01-26-2009, 06:37 PM
I have been lurking for a while ever since shanny got fired, looking for news and rumors. So I wanted to see what you guys thought about this:

There have been rumors, mostly from that Blue Run guy, that the broncos staff was looking for a wide receiver to draft in the first round. Say they do end up going that route. What do you think about trading Brandon Marshall?

He is a great player and has a huge reputation now but also he could be put in the category of receivers that could become distractions- think T.O. or Chad Johnson or even Anquan Boldin now. His play towards the end of the year kinda fell. His production in the last few games was less than stellar and I saw a few too many drops for my liking. If we end up going with one of these big name wide recievers in the first or second round I feel like we could get some solid value out of marshall, heck the lions got 3 picks for Roy Williams I wonder what we could get for Marshall, who has a good reputation now that he had 2 great seasons after being virtually nobody.

But I guess if we don't go for a big name wide reciever on the first day I would rather keep him.

On a side note what about Daniel Graham if we end up getting one of the big name tight ends? He has a couple super bowls under his belt and had a solid year, I could see some teams that have horrible te's jumping at the chance to get Graham.

I think Blue Run was talking about Pettigrew. He's a TE, not a WR.

NameUsedBefore
01-26-2009, 06:42 PM
If we do take a wide receiver in the first round and you do eat your guitar pick could streamer it so I can watch? :D (I'm kidding NUB)

If we do take a receiver I'll do something dramatic and video tape it when I get back home.

Thnikkaman
01-26-2009, 06:43 PM
I'm going to go out on a limb here. In hind sight, I don't see T.O. becoming the cancer he is if he doesn't start his career in SF with a QB like Jeff Garcia. T.O. needed someone to kick him in his ass before he became the diva that he is now. Cutler has done a stellar job keeping Marshal focused on football and being a man. I'm willing to bet that street will be 2 way and Marshal will help keep Cutler from sulking after a bad loss.

JONtheBRONCO
01-26-2009, 06:48 PM
I'm going to pretend I never read this.

honz
01-26-2009, 06:53 PM
Trading Marshall would be absolutely stupid IMO. Receivers like him aren't exactly a dime a dozen and he is still young and has even more upside. He seems to be a hard worker and seems to be a team player as he has never really complained about not getting the ball enough. He also has said that he doesn't mind Jay throwing the ball to Royal, Scheff, Stokes, etc. if he is being doubled. I even remember reading something this past year where he said that him and Scheff had talked about balance on offense and spreading the ball around being the key to success. That doesn't sound like TO to me.

It also seems like he is past his off the field troubles and he may have been telling the truth about his ex-girlfriend being the main reason for his troubles. He really hasn't been in any trouble since he got rid of her...unless you count the whole McDonald's incident. I find it hard to hold that against him though. I mean it was obviously stupid, but who hasn't broken something wrestling around with siblings or friends? He just happened to break a TV and tear up his arm.

Marshall has the ability to dominate a game...most evident against SD this year...but he needs to just be more consistent from game to game in the future. If he doesn't improve upon that next season I will be disappointed, but I think he will continue to make strides next season. He is still pretty young for a receiver and fairly raw.

broncobryce
01-26-2009, 07:01 PM
aaahhhh ha ha ha aaahh ha ha

bcbronc
01-26-2009, 07:11 PM

If we draft a receiver in the first round, I'd also eat your guitar pick. after you ate it. and pooped it out.

but I'm all for trading Marshall. we have Chad Jackson waiting in the wings! who's with me???

keithbishop
01-26-2009, 07:14 PM
but I'm all for trading Marshall. we have Chad Jackson waiting in the wings! who's with me???

YEAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!:rockon:

Shazam!
01-26-2009, 07:17 PM
Yes! Marshall must go.

WhatEver!!!
01-26-2009, 07:49 PM
No one has mentioned the effect this will have on Cutler. His good buddy OC is gone and now you are going to take away the WR he is growing up with. Cutler would have a episode.

fcspikeit
01-26-2009, 08:20 PM
As Toad said, Blue Run was talking about Pettigrew, he is a TE. He didn't say anything about us looking at a WR in the 1st round. Hell, he didn't say anything about us looking at a WR in any round.

The only way I would agree to trading Marshall is if it were for Johnson or Fitzgerald.

I can however see us possibly trading Graham, if we are going to the spreed we don't really need a TE with his skill set, IMO, a 3rd or 4th round pick would be worth more to us then a blocking TE who is always sitting on the bench...

We don't know for sure if we will be going to the spread.. If we did trade Graham, I bet we could get a good receiving TE in the later rounds to go along with Sheff. If we take Pettigrew in the 1st, he had better be the best TE taken in the last 5 years to justify it.. Just getting a good starter wont be good enough, we already have 2 good receiving starters (When Healthy). That's why I don't see us making that pick.

TXBRONC
01-26-2009, 08:37 PM
As Toad said, Blue Run was talking about Pettigrew, he is a TE. He didn't say anything about us looking at a WR in the 1st round. Hell, he didn't say anything about us looking at a WR in any round.

The only way I would agree to trading Marshall is if it were for Johnson or Fitzgerald.

I can however see us possibly trading Graham, if we are going to the spreed we don't really need a TE with his skill set, IMO, a 3rd or 4th round pick would be worth more to us then a blocking TE who is always sitting on the bench...

We don't know for sure if we will be going to the spread.. If we did trade Graham, I bet we could get a good receiving TE in the later rounds to go along with Sheff. If we take Pettigrew in the 1st, he had better be the best TE taken in the last 5 years to justify it.. Just getting a good starter wont be good enough, we already have 2 good receiving starters (When Healthy). That's why I don't see us making that pick.

I just don't give any weight to what Blue Run said about Denver being interested in TE in the first round. I very curious where he got that information.

fcspikeit
01-26-2009, 08:45 PM
I just don't give any weight to Blue Run what said about Denver being interested in TE in the first round. I very curious where he got that information.

He said our WR coach was really scouting him.. It could have been he was scouting him for his former team.. His name escapes me at the moment..

Anyways, if I had to guess, that would be it.

silkamilkamonico
01-26-2009, 08:52 PM
TE in the first round?

LMAO

PLease.

TXBRONC
01-26-2009, 09:09 PM
He said our WR coach was really scouting him.. It could have been he was scouting him for his former team.. His name escapes me at the moment..

Anyways, if I had to guess, that would be it.

But how would he know that? :confused:

omac
01-26-2009, 09:40 PM
No offense in the 1st round.

Speaking of trades, I wouldn't trade anyone on offense; they're all pretty good and young, so I can see this as the core of a dominant offense for a very long time.

On defense, I think we can trade or release anyone. The defense is in shambles, and we're starting from scratch in a new system. This unit is in flux, with regards to exactly who the core for the next several years will be.

I think we're at the point with Champ and his age that if we wanted to get good value for him, we should trade him before the start of this season. Injuries aside, he is still among the top and with our defense in a shambles, his skills are somewhat wasted here anyway. Our lack of pressure, plus the schemes we used have made him look pretty bad, despite how good he really is.

Unfortunately, I think that's the only trade, talent and age-wise, that would make sense. Don't know how much value DJ would garner.

Ziggy
01-26-2009, 09:42 PM
No offense in the 1st round.

Speaking of trades, I wouldn't trade anyone on offense; they're all pretty good and young, so I can see this as the core of a dominant offense for a very long time.

On defense, I think we can trade or release anyone. The defense is in shambles, and we're starting from scratch in a new system. This unit is in flux, with regards to exactly who the core for the next several years will be.

I think we're at the point with Champ and his age that if we wanted to get good value for him, we should trade him before the start of this season. Injuries aside, he is still among the top and with our defense in a shambles, his skills are somewhat wasted here anyway. Our lack of pressure, plus the schemes we used have made him look pretty bad, despite how good he really is.

Unfortunately, I think that's the only trade, talent and age-wise, that would make sense. Don't know how much value DJ would garner.

That's if we think we can re-sign all of them and still build a D. Highly unlikely.

Bad Intentions
01-26-2009, 09:43 PM
I think we should trade Ryan Clady, Jay Cutler, and Brandon Marshall. There is no reason to have talented players on our football team. They eventually will develop huge egos and want lots of money. Lets bring in a bunch of nobodies before that happens!

/Sarc over

TXBRONC
01-26-2009, 09:50 PM
That's if we think we can re-sign all of them and still build a D. Highly unlikely.

Cutler, Clady, and Marshall will all be re-signed when the time comes.

DenBronx
01-26-2009, 09:54 PM
welcome aboard!

now i must say that was a sucky first post and i give the idea two thumbs down.

kthxby

omac
01-26-2009, 09:55 PM

Well, the Colts have been able to hold onto Peyton, Harrison, Clark, and Saturday for quite a long time. Maybe we can similarly hold on to Jay, Brandon, Clady, and Scheffler too .... and Eddie and Harris and Stokley and Kuper. :D

TXBRONC
01-26-2009, 10:03 PM
Well, the Colts have been able to hold onto Peyton, Harrison, Clark, and Saturday for quite a long time. Maybe we can similarly hold on to Jay, Brandon, Clady, and Scheffler too .... and Eddie and Harris and Stokley and Kuper. :D

Thankfully all of those contracts wont be coming due at one time.

MOtorboat
01-26-2009, 10:12 PM
I may be digressing from where this thread headed, but in response to the first four posts...

If we take a receiver that is not named Michael Crabtree in the first round...I might just go bandwagon and burn the Cutler jersey.

fcspikeit
01-26-2009, 10:21 PM
But how would he know that? :confused:

Well, the scouts talking to the players could get some info from the player about who else was scouting him.. Plus I would guess there would be some chatter among the scouts themselves..

I have to run at the moment, when I get back I am going to go back through Blue Runs thread to reread exactly what he said. He didn't specifically say the Broncos were scouting him, he said the guys name (Our WR coach) was said to have been scouting him for the last few years. He has only been our WR coach for a week or so now... That means if true, he was scouting him while with his former team..

TXBRONC
01-26-2009, 10:22 PM
Trading Marshall would be absolutely stupid IMO. Receivers like him aren't exactly a dime a dozen and he is still young and has even more upside. He seems to be a hard worker and seems to be a team player as he has never really complained about not getting the ball enough. He also has said that he doesn't mind Jay throwing the ball to Royal, Scheff, Stokes, etc. if he is being doubled. I even remember reading something this past year where he said that him and Scheff had talked about balance on offense and spreading the ball around being the key to success. That doesn't sound like TO to me.

It also seems like he is past his off the field troubles and he may have been telling the truth about his ex-girlfriend being the main reason for his troubles. He really hasn't been in any trouble since he got rid of her...unless you count the whole McDonald's incident. I find it hard to hold that against him though. I mean it was obviously stupid, but who hasn't broken something wrestling around with siblings or friends? He just happened to break a TV and tear up his arm.

Marshall has the ability to dominate a game...most evident against SD this year...but he needs to just be more consistent from game to game in the future. If he doesn't improve upon that next season I will be disappointed, but I think he will continue to make strides next season. He is still pretty young for a receiver and fairly raw.

To think they have only begun to scratch the surface of Marshall's abilities is scary thought.

oobehr
01-26-2009, 11:03 PM
I must have been mistaken with what blue run said. I admit that.
But you guys are clearly taking this the wrong way. You think I am saying just go ahead and trade him right now and don't turn back. I am not saying this.

What I am saying is that should, for some reason, our front office decide to draft the best wide receiver they could get in the first round(although that is a bad idea) could we trade Marshall to help out our awful defence. In no way was I coming out and saying "Marshall is going to start punching teammates and get suspended so let's just get rid of him before it is too late." I was saying, if the front office for some dumb reason gets a wide receiver, wouldn't it be plausible to see Marshall as the best value we have to trade?

I am more behind the trading of Graham than any other offensive player on our team although I am sure McDaniels is going to use him more, being that he was a former patriot. I think we could get a decent trade out of Graham and still leave 95% of our offense intact, if not more.

MOtorboat
01-26-2009, 11:08 PM
But you guys are clearly taking this the wrong way. You think I am saying just go ahead and trade him right now and don't turn back. I am not saying this.

What I am saying is that should, for some reason, our front office decide to draft the best wide receiver they could get in the first round(although that is a bad idea) could we trade Marshall to help out our awful defence. In no way was I coming out and saying "Marshall is going to start punching teammates and get suspended so let's just get rid of him before it is too late." I was saying, if the front office for some dumb reason gets a wide receiver, wouldn't it be plausible to see Marshall as the best value we have to trade?

I am more behind the trading of Graham than any other offensive player on our team although I am sure McDaniels is going to use him more, being that he was a former patriot. I think we could get a decent trade out of Graham and still leave 95% of our offense intact, if not more.

Blue Run has said a lot of stuff. Most, I don't believe, or I'm not going to over-react to. If we draft a TE in the first round, it would be surprising at best.

If we really are looking at Pettigrew at No. 12, he better be damn good, especially with our problems on the defensive side of the ball.

Keep in mind that many of these interviews actually deflect away from the players you actually draft. I know Shanahan is gone, but he was the master at that, and I would expect McDaniels/Goodmans to learn from that.

honz
01-26-2009, 11:13 PM
To think they have only begun to scratch the surface of Marshall's abilities is scary thought.

I don't know if he has just scratched the surface, but I think he can definitely still improve his route running and in reading coverage/zones.

MOtorboat
01-26-2009, 11:16 PM
I don't know if he has just scratched the surface, but I think he can definitely still improve his route running and in reading coverage/zones.

And that important part about catching the ball.

honz
01-26-2009, 11:21 PM
And that important part about catching the ball.

Eh, he has good hands and can really snare balls...and I don't really remember him having the dropsies in his 2nd year. I think it was just a mental thing after he dropped a few and hopefully he'll get over it and come back confident next year.

skycoyote
01-26-2009, 11:47 PM
Your idea has merit, but I think we better leave the offense alone and concentrate on the defense this year.

fcspikeit
01-27-2009, 01:03 AM

Some additional DEN-related SB tidbits:
I am told a man named Adam Gase (sp? sorry, I don't know him) with the DEN organization had a long meeting with Brandon Pettigrew and has been following him closer than any other team. Does not seem to make much sense perhaps Broncos fans could shed some light.

I thought he said Gase had been scouting Pettigrew for a while now? Maybe it was in another thread.. Anyways, it does say Gase with the Denver organization had a long meeting with Pettigrew..

Blue Run also had this to say about Pettigrew..

Pettigrew is an extremely hot prospect - he is considered the best receiving TE since K2. A scout for the Chiefs has him rated as the 2nd best Senior, behind Eugene Monroe.
Compared him to a taller Antonio Gates. A phenomenal athlete and most think he's a slam dunk perennial Pro Bowler.

FWIW the Bengals also love him and will probably take him at #6, although they really like Moore, too. They are switching Whitworth to OT so they aren't going that way.

He better be all that and more if we take him at 12 with all the holes we have on defense.. That or we better do a lot more in FA then we did last year...

I wouldn't bet on that, NE only threw something like 9% of their passes to their TE's.. We threw something like 23%. If McDaniels brings that offense here, Graham will get a lot less balls thrown at him then he did last year. His blocking ability would be used less also in that offense.. The reason he wanted to leave NE in the first place was because they didn't throw to him as much as he wanted. If we got a good enough offer, I could see us making the trade..

WARHORSE
01-27-2009, 01:29 AM
I think we should take a swig and stew for a few.

Shazam!
01-27-2009, 01:42 AM
Maybe the Lions will wheel and deal and unload some players... Calvin Johnson?

I think Denver will Draft mainly defense and a RB.

The one player who Denver can get a LOT for and can be sacrificial is Champ unfortunately. He's the best player on the team, getting aged but they can get top notch trade value for him to some team that's a few players away like Dallas or Philly.

Bill Devaroe
01-27-2009, 06:39 AM

Maybe we could trade cutler too, and just go wildcat all day.

TXBRONC
01-27-2009, 06:51 AM

I understood what you, meant and I just don't see that happening. Even we do draft the best wide receiver available I don't see why want to trade Marshall away.

SmilinAssasSin27
01-27-2009, 08:02 AM
I may be digressing from where this thread headed, but in response to the first four posts...

If we take a receiver that is not named Michael Crabtree in the first round...I might just go bandwagon and burn the Cutler jersey.

If all defensive options are gone...as well as Wells and Moreno...I'd be cool w/ Maclin too. But the darft would have to fall "perfectly?" for that too happen.

WARHORSE
01-28-2009, 08:49 PM
This isnt a very strong draft imo, and Id feel best if we drafted the best available. Right now, Im lookin at Mauluga as the man of the hour.

If not, trade down, get Moala and Tyson Jackson with Phillys picks.

Both of them can play 3-4 DE now, and Moala can possibly turn into a monster NT.

TXBRONC
01-28-2009, 09:23 PM
This isnt a very strong draft imo, and Id feel best if we drafted the best available. Right now, Im lookin at Mauluga as the man of the hour.

If not, trade down, get Moala and Tyson Jackson with Phillys picks.

Both of them can play 3-4 DE now, and Moala can possibly turn into a monster NT.

I still think Raji is the best option for a nose tackle. I even think his team mate Brace could end being a very good nose tackle.