PDA

View Full Version : Carlton Powell Interview

topscribe
01-26-2009, 05:45 PM
This interview with Carlton Powell was conducted last spring. I know it's a
while back, and I apologize if it had already been posted, but I just ran across
it. Thought it might be interesting, especially in knowing he was a serious
prospect for the Steelers:

----------

Steelers Draft Prospect Interview: DT Carlton Powell
Steelers Fever Exclusive Editorial
Saturday, March 08, 2008
By Paul Eide
Steelers Fever Columnist

One look at the Steelers current depth at defensive tackle is all it takes to realize help is needed for the upcoming 2008 season. With Free Agency now nearly a week old and with all notable names (and even not so notable names i.e. Damione Lewis) off the market, it has become obvious that the Steelers will look to fill this need through the upcoming NFL Draft.

One name that has been tossed around frequently as a great late round high reward/low risk selection is Virginia Tech defensive tackle Carlton Powell.

Powell already has the frame to fit the Steelers nose tackle model and played in a similar system at Virginia Tech, where his job was to eat up at least two blockers on every snap and free up the linebackers to roam freely much like current nose tackle Casey Hampton.

The former Hokie would add depth behind Hampton and would have the chance to learn the nuances of the position from a four time Pro Bowler who is as valuable to his team's defensive scheme as any player in the league.

Steelers Fever - How did you get invited to the Combine? Can you kind of explain how you felt once you found out?

Carlton Powell - Man, it was truly a blessing! It came in the mail and I was like, 'I think this is an invite to the Combine.' So I was there with my parents, looking at it making sure everything was right. It was a great moment, very exciting.

SF - Was training at Tom Shaw's in Orlando with fellow defensive tackle Glenn Dorsey prior to the Combine a good reference point for you in terms of how you stack up against 'the best'?

CP - It was definitely great competition, working out against such a big name guy, but I felt like I held my own and stacked up pretty well. In a situation like that it's definitely sink or swim and I felt like I proved a lot, but it wasn't anything I didn't know in my heart already.

SF - At VT you played Left Defensive Tackle in their 4-3 alignment. Does it make a difference to you whether you play in a 4-3 or a 3-4?

CP - I can play any position on the line. I can adjust to whatever. I am a smart player and I can roll with whatever comes my way.

SF - On 33 plays versus the run last year, opponents ran for only 13 yards and one first down. What is the key to that type of success?

CP - It's definitely being physical and I really don't like the ball getting past me when it comes my way more than anything. Whatever it takes, I'm taking them down. It just doesn't happen a lot.

SF - You also had 15 QB pressures last year in 12 starts. What's the most important thing in getting to the QB when a lot of the time you're getting double teamed?

CP - A lot of it is presnap reads and knowing that you're going to get pass protection and knowing down and distance. If its third and long you know its probably a pass or screen. Getting a good presnap read before the play and knowing what you're going to do before it even happens. That gives you a big advantage.

SF - Of all NFL Players, who do you compare yourself to?

CP - I take bits and pieces from a lot of guys. Footwork kind of like Darryl Tapp. The way Albert Haynesworth uses his hands, I've got a little of that. The way Kris Jenkins gets after the QB, the way Casey Hampton stuffs the run; I try to take a little from everybody.

SF - Speaking of Casey Hampton and the Steelers, did they show any interest at the Combine?

CP - Oh yeah. They were one of the teams I talked to a lot. I mean, at the Combine you pretty much talk to every team there even if it isn't for long. But the Steelers were one of the teams I spoke to the most.

SF - Have NFL teams begun to work with your agent or is it too early for that? Have the Steelers specifically contacted you?

CP - Oh yeah, they definitely converse back and forth, getting game film and just doing research trying to find out as much as they can about me. I know the Steelers are one of many teams, but at this stage it's pretty hard to tell what's for real and what is just part of the general evaluation process that all teams do.

SF - Some have said that you aren't stout enough to be an NFL caliber DT. Have you tried to bulk up?

CP - Bulking up has never really been a problem for me. What good is it to be 300+ lbs if it's a sloppy 300? Mostly I'm working on speed and agility in the morning and we lift after that with a lower body day or upper body day.

SF - Regardless of your weight, at Virginia Tech you were said to be benching 400 lbs and squatting 500 lbs. Is that still accurate?

CP - I'm benching around 430 right now and squatting close to 600. I'd say I'm getting close to my plateau now but I never really hit a sticking point or anything before.

SF - Was there a Combine drill that you looked forward to the most or least?

CP - Well, I probably look forward to the 40 as I've been running a 4.9 in training. But my weakest point is my vertical.

SF - Are their certain things an opposing guard will do that let you know how he's going to block you?

CP - Definitely. There's always tendencies. Like you look at the splits between linemen like if they have a tight split you're probably getting a double team if they got wider splits you're looking at one on one. You look at how much weight they got on their down hand and if their leaning forward they're probably going to run block. If they're leaning back a little nit its probably pass protection. So there are a lot of things that go into it.

SF - Are reads and techniques like that something you get at a prestigious school like VT that maybe you don't learn as well somewhere else?

CP - Definitely at Tech, because when I was in high school I played linebacker and didn't know too much about defensive line until I got there. So that helped a lot.

SF - Do the Pro Scouts look favorably upon a guy of your size playing LB in high school? Do they mention that to your agent as a strength?

CP - Yeah that is a strength they recognize. Being able to move around a lot quicker and being agile means I have great feet for my size. Its definitely an advantage they notice against offensive linemen.

SF - You're known as a disruptive type of player in the vein of a Warren Sapp. Is that an extension of your quickness or a result of your will?

CP - I'd say both, you know. Getting back there, causing trouble, getting penetration, not waiting for things to happen, you make the play react to you rather than reacting to the play. It works out a lot better from that approach.

SF - Is their a moment in your college career that stands out as your favorite moment?

CP - Man, of course. First game I ever played in was against USC who was ranked #1 at the time at night on national TV at Fed Ex field and I had goose bumps! It was amazing. All those fans? Oh my god. That's when I knew, "I'm here now!" There are so many things running through your head, so many feelings.

SF - Have you spoken to any current or former Virginia Tech NFL players about making the jump to the NFL?

CP - Yeah, Darryl Tapp mainly (of the Seattle Seahawks). He's a defensive end so he can kind of relate to what I'm going through. He's had a really good first two years (10 sacks, four forced fumbles, two INT's and one TD) so I really ask him mostly about football but also about other stuff.

SF - With the Combine over, do you find yourself more nervous or more excited now that the Draft is the next event on the horizon?

CP - More than anything I'm excited but it's excited, anxious, nervous all that rolled into one. I'm just can't wait to get on a team and let everyone know what Carlton Powell brings to the table.

http://www.steelersfever.com/editorials/0802.html

-----

Ziggy
01-26-2009, 08:29 PM
Powell could be the X factor this year. If he can take on 2 blockers in the middle on every play and hold up, he'll make a huge difference on this D. I don't think he has the quickness to be a 3-4 end, but he may be able to add 10-15 pounds and make his mark at NT.

topscribe
01-26-2009, 08:39 PM
Carlton Powell (DT)
Height: 6'3"
Weight: 300
College: Virginia Tech
Conference: ACC
Hometown: Chesapeake, VA
High School: Great Bridge

Selected by: Denver Broncos
Round: 5
Pick (Overall): 13 (148)

Pick Analysis: Carlton Powell is a little undersized but was productive at Virginia Tech. This far along in the draft, you're not going to get ideal physical specimens, so the fact he started three years for a strong program makes him a good value.

OverviewAnalysisQ & A

Analysis

Positives: Has a large frame with thick thighs and calves...Possesses solid muscle tone in his lower body, with wide hips, broad shoulders and good muscle tone in his arms...Has room on his frame to add another 15 pounds of bulk without having it affect his balance or quickness...Has a strong lower body, with very good hip width...Shows good straight-line speed and explosion off the snap and does a solid job of keeping his hands inside his frame to lock on and control the blockers... Displays the lower-leg drive to split double teams and the short-area burst to close on the pocket...When he hits the gaps with his pad level down and is very good at slipping off blocks to plug the rush lanes...When he stays low in his pads, he consistently gains leverage (4.35 20-yard shuttle), as he has the flexibility and change-of-direction agility to generate good acceleration in his short-area burst...Can wear down the blockers with his leg drive and combative nature, as he shoots the gaps with good explosion and is the type that plays until the whistle, combining strength and explosive hand punch...Can gain an advantage and shows suddenness getting to the gaps due to his savvy play and anticipation skills (see 2007 Ohio University, Clemson, Boston College and 2006 North Carolina, Southern Mississippi and Virginia games)...Disruptive force in the gaps, excelling at pushing the lead blocker back to clog the rushing lanes (held opponents to minus-13 yards rushing on 106 running plays)...Strong inside run stuffer who can make plays up and down the line due to his lateral movement...Knows how to get underneath to get a piece of the blocker's pads and is very effective stacking and controling in one-on-one situations...Won't stay blocked for long when he keeps his hands active and inside his frame...Has a very strong hand punch to shock and jolt and showed vast improvement keeping his hands inside his frame in 2006...Relies more on his strength than hand placement to defeat a block, but when he is able to generate quick hand technique, he has an effective arm crossover move as a bull rusher to push the pocket...Has a good feel for playing off blocks and reacts well to block pressure...Has that explosive short-area burst to clog the rush lanes, and when he keeps his hands active, he can grab, turn, push and control the offensive linemen...When he stays low in his pads and extends his arms, he is very effective...Has the quickness to take good angles, slant and make plays down the line...Strong inside run defender who might not show the lateral range to make plays in long pursuit, but is very efficient when asked to clog the lanes between the tackles...More of a pocket-pressure type than a pass rusher, as he plays in a system that relies on him providing containment rather than generate pressure, but once he clears the lane, he shows good urgency and the ability to take angles in attempts to close...Could surprise as a pass rusher, as he shows the quick initial step to get advantage and also get on the edge of a blocker...Has effective swim-and-rip ability and good suddenness off the ball and he is more of a power-oriented type than one who would finesse...Does a good job of keeping eye contact on the quarterback to provide containment (see 2007 Clemson, Florida State and Miami and 2006 Cincinnati, Southern Mississippi and Kent State games) and has developed efficient spin moves to counter and pull away from double-team activity...Plays with good instincts, awareness and recognition, as it is rare to see him bite on play action or misdirection...Has a good feel for blocks and when he plants his feet in the ground, even double teams struggle to contain him.

Negatives: Needs to tighten the softness in his midsection...Does a good job flowing to the ball along the line, but must be more alert to keeping his pad level down...When he gets too high and narrows his base, he is susceptible to low blocks...Does not always use his hands to protect his legs from cut blocks, but he has the strength needed to neutralize (does this equally well in one-on-one situations and double teams)... When he gets too tall in his pads, he struggles to shed and stack, causing him to lose some battles in attempts to play off those blocks...Needs to be more consistent shooting his hands, as he tends to lean and give a shoulder rather than extending to play off the blocks, causing him to get washed out some vs. the more active and bigger blockers...Has the timed speed to slip through the pile and apply pressure, but his adequate change-of-direction agility sees him labor at times when he has to get in gear when working in space..Must show better hip flexibility and lateral movement in his backside pursuit before he can be given more opportunities to rush the passer.

Compares To: DEWAYNE ROBERTSON-New York Jets...Both of these players rely on suddenness and brute strength to gain advantage. Powell is a dominant run stuffer who does a fine job of handling double-team blocks. He needs to improve his lateral range to be more effective when chasing down plays and must use his hands better to protect himself from low blocks. But when he locks on to a blocker, he will quickly shed. Where he excels is clogging the rush lanes, as when he keeps his pads down, lead blockers are soon to be pushed back through the hole. For a team using the "under tackle" position, Powell is the perfect fit.

Injury Report

2005: Suffered a right ankle sprain vs. North Carolina State (9/04), sitting oit the following week vs. Duke (9/10).

Copyright NFLDraftScout.com, distributed by The Sports Xchange.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/profiles/carlton-powell?id=296#player-profile-tab-set-1:player-profile-tab-analysis

-----

Cugel
01-26-2009, 09:03 PM
If Powell is healthy he can be taken off the "physically unable to perform" list. Then he can begin what will in effect be his rookie year. :coffee:

Before the draft there is an endless amount of hype, especially by fan sites.

Obviously NFL GMs didn't think all that much of Powell because he lasted until the 5th round! Know how many 5th round DTs ever become starters in this league? Not too many. :coffee:

Over 1/2 of all NFL DT starters were either 1st or 2nd round draft picks:

The defensive tackle position is heavily weighted toward the first round (http://www.footballoutsiders.com/nfl-draft/2006/draft-position), but fairly flat thereafter. This seems consistent with the "Planet Theory" explanation. The DTs with truly freakish abilities aren't plentiful enough to occupy most of the 57 starting DT positions in the NFL (there are not two per team because of the many 3-4 alignments in use), so once the elite guys are taken at the top of the draft the talent pool evens out quite a bit. The late round picks and undrafted players are almost entirely one-dimensional players that can occupy multiple blockers but aren't much of a threat to rush the passer. The lesson here appears to be that you're not going to have many opportunities to find a two dimensional DT, so don't pass on a guy like that lightly. Alternatively, if you are just looking for a big guy to occupy blockers on first and second down, that need can wait.

Since a pass-rusher who can collapse the pocket is a key to generating QB pressure (think Justin Tuck in the Giants's SB; Haloti Ngata in the AFC Championship game, or Vince Wilfork or Jamal Williams in general), to have a dominant Defense you need a two-dimensional DT and they are very rare and hard to find. There might be a couple in any one draft and every 3-4 team desperately wants one.

As far as big fatties who can take on a couple of blockers but will never generate any pressure, they can be had in the 2nd, 3rd round no problem. You don't waste a 1st round pick on those guys.

So, basically Powell is a projected as a one-dimensional DT or he'd have been snagged MUCH sooner than he was.

omac
01-26-2009, 09:21 PM
Hey Top, nice reads! :salute:

That's a huge paragraph of positives. With all that going for him, maybe all he needs are really good defensive coaches, and we started with a pretty good one in Nolan.

Here's hoping Powell can step in and own the starting NT position, the same way Clady did for the LT position. :cheers:

TXBRONC
01-26-2009, 09:23 PM

That's a huge paragraph of positives. With all that going for him, maybe all he needs are really good defensive coaches, and we started with a pretty good one in Nolan.

Here's hoping Powell can step in and own the starting NT position, the same way Clady did for the LT position. :cheers:

I think I would like to see him play defensive end in a 3-4.

topscribe
01-26-2009, 09:37 PM
If Powell is healthy he can be taken off the "physically unable to perform" list. Then he can begin what will in effect be his rookie year. :coffee:

Before the draft there is an endless amount of hype, especially by fan sites.

Obviously NFL GMs didn't think all that much of Powell because he lasted until the 5th round! Know how many 5th round DTs ever become starters in this league? Not too many. :coffee:

Over 1/2 of all NFL DT starters were either 1st or 2nd round draft picks:

Since a pass-rusher who can collapse the pocket is a key to generating QB pressure (think Justin Tuck in the Giants's SB; Haloti Ngata in the AFC Championship game, or Vince Wilfork or Jamal Williams in general), to have a dominant Defense you need a two-dimensional DT and they are very rare and hard to find. There might be a couple in any one draft and every 3-4 team desperately wants one.

As far as big fatties who can take on a couple of blockers but will never generate any pressure, they can be had in the 2nd, 3rd round no problem. You don't waste a 1st round pick on those guys.

So, basically Powell is a projected as a one-dimensional DT or he'd have been snagged MUCH sooner than he was.

In theory, you are correct, Cug. But as a counselor, you know as well as I do
that practice can make a lie of theory. I am eager to see what he can do on
the field. That is where the proverbial rubber meets the road. We have seen
many players who have proven the GMs wrong.

-----

omac
01-26-2009, 09:48 PM
I think I would like to see him play defensive end in a 3-4.

Well if we can get an even better option at NT, that would be awesome. Both Powell and Thomas have been touted as good against the run with good penetration in the backfield too. Now I'm hoping we take a chance on Raji. :cool:

TXBRONC
01-26-2009, 09:51 PM
Well if we can get an even better option at NT, that would be awesome. Both Powell and Thomas have been touted as good against the run with good penetration in the backfield too. Now I'm hoping we take a chance on Raji. :cool:

Ron Brace could possibly be another option if Raji is off the board.

topscribe
01-26-2009, 09:52 PM

Well, it certainly would be nice, but that doesn't happen often, Omac, even
with better players. Clady is an anomaly . . . in fact, we had that, incredibly,
with both OTs, with 2008 being essentially also Harris' first year.

Now, we are asking for the same thing for Powell on what will be his first year
on the field in a position where it ordinarily takes two to three years to
orientate. We saw what Thomas went through, and I maintain it is not that he
is not that good but that this was his first couple years on the field.

I really do expect good things for Powell in the future. I just don't know that
it will come this year . . .

-----

skycoyote
01-26-2009, 11:40 PM
He's too small. I want to see some big fat a... hogs pushing 400 lbs on our defensive line. I want them soo big there love handles almost touch. Then there will be no blowing the Bronco's off the line. I'm not joking.

Lonestar
01-27-2009, 12:41 AM
Well, it certainly would be nice, but that doesn't happen often, Omac, even
with better players. Clady is an anomaly . . . in fact, we had that, incredibly,
with both OTs, with 2008 being essentially also Harris' first year.

Now, we are asking for the same thing for Powell on what will be his first year
on the field in a position where it ordinarily takes two to three years to
orientate. We saw what Thomas went through, and I maintain it is not that he
is not that good but that this was his first couple years on the field.

I really do expect good things for Powell in the future. I just don't know that
it will come this year . . .

-----

but also remember that Thomas was out of football for almost a year and a half also..IIRC not even allowed in the locker room the last year.. Powell however has been in the team facility I believe and allowed to rehab..

While he may have been able to watch game film and set in on meeting that right now would be a of NO value.. Just as it will not be for Thomas or any one else unless they keep the same scheme.... AHAHAHAHAHA AHA

honz
01-27-2009, 02:16 AM
Powell sounds like an interesting player and definitely a potential run stuffer as a DE in the 3-4 if we go that route...and who knows, maybe he can even play some NT (or DT in a 4-3) even though he is a bit undersized. I'll definitely be keeping an eye on him in camp next year.

I'm also expecting big things from Thomas next year, especially if we let our lineman play more aggressively. Maybe our lineman just suck, but it seemed like we were simply asking them to hold their ground and take on blockers this year. We weren't letting them make play and were simply asking them to be space eaters. That doesn't play to Thomas' strengths as he is a pretty explosive athlete for a man of his size and would probably be more effective in attack mode.

broncofaninfla
01-27-2009, 09:07 AM
Powell MIGHT be our man or might be able to provide depth at the NT position.

Shazam!
01-27-2009, 10:31 AM
Guys like this can actually have a future in Denver with a new defense where others like Robertson and Webster have zero chance.

DenBronx
01-27-2009, 12:53 PM
i hope powel hasnt lost any strength, weight or skill from being away for a whole year. he said he can play both positions but he hasnt yet at the next level. i dont want to go into next season with him or an undersized robertson to play nt. i think he will get a shot but i also think we will try and draft or bring in a free agent.

LRtagger
01-27-2009, 01:39 PM
Im excited about Powell. I hope he can contribute for us.

Lonestar
01-27-2009, 02:30 PM

If he is that run stopper he was in college but then again I'm not sure of VTECH schedule either..

He has potential to at least back up and maybe really push the starter who ever that winds up being....

I think what ever shakes out we will have to have patience with the defense as there should be a lot of changes top to bottom.. might take longer than mikey gave Bates to get it going..:laugh:

Slick
01-27-2009, 02:40 PM
If he is that run stopper he was in college but then again I'm not sure of VTECH schedule either..

He has potential to at least back up and maybe really push the starter who ever that winds up being....

I think what ever shakes out we will have to have patience with the defense as there should be a lot of changes top to bottom.. might take longer than mikey gave Bates to get it going..:laugh:

You weren't sure about Clady's schedule either Jr. ;)

DenBronx
01-27-2009, 02:56 PM

im with you on that. that would make last years draft even more special but i still want a security blanket at dt. robertson really doesnt fit into a 3-4. powell i think is better suited for it but i think nolan is going to be salivating to get a guy like raji or maybe even ron brace in the 2nd.

LRtagger
01-27-2009, 03:07 PM
We definately take a NT in the draft IMO...I dont think we have an option. But I think Powell can rotate in at DE on running downs and maybe play NT if he can add a little weight. Either way he can only make our DL better.

bcbronc
01-27-2009, 03:41 PM
correct me if I'm wrong, but Powell was put on IR for a blown Achilles tendon, no? It's all assumption on my part, but I'd expect that injury to effect a 300lb run-stuffer more than, say, a 225lb QB. anyone know if there is expected long-term ramifications for this kind of injury to this kind of player?

but regardless, unless he used his season off to add 15-20 lbs, he's too small for NT. 300lbs won't hold the middle, 9 times out of 10. and I'm not willing to bet the season that a 5th rounder coming off spending his rookie season on IR will be a winning lottery ticket. his best bet, imo, is a DE if we go to the 3-4.

Lonestar
01-27-2009, 03:46 PM
You weren't sure about Clady's schedule either Jr. ;)

I was not a Clady guy at all "Who would have thought in their wildest dreams that having essentially three rookies on the OLINE this year would not have be a total cluster ****..

But they were superb.. NO ONE saw this coming..

I would have taken a DT in the first regardless of how he was ranked.. and a OLT in the second.. so I have been served crow on several occasion and am OK with it..

Hell I would have taken a RB in the first before Clady..

LRtagger
01-27-2009, 03:47 PM
correct me if I'm wrong, but Powell was put on IR for a blown Achilles tendon, no? It's all assumption on my part, but I'd expect that injury to effect a 300lb run-stuffer more than, say, a 225lb QB. anyone know if there is expected long-term ramifications for this kind of injury to this kind of player?

but regardless, unless he used his season off to add 15-20 lbs, he's too small for NT. 300lbs won't hold the middle, 9 times out of 10. and I'm not willing to bet the season that a 5th rounder coming off spending his rookie season on IR will be a winning lottery ticket. his best bet, imo, is a DE if we go to the 3-4.

Fron July 08

An update on the status of rookie DT Carlton Powell - When addressing the media after Friday morning’s practice, Head Coach Mike Shanahan dropped the following bomb regarding his 5th round pick:

“(The injury) happened a number of weeks ago. His Achilles popped in the offseason conditioning program, and obviously he’s out for the year.”

There you have it folks. Fifth round pick Carlton Powell will miss the 2008 season with an Achilles injury.

That’s a lot more serious than a PUP-listing. It’s a wonder the Broncos didn’t place him on IR to start. I feel like we’re a deep football team in a lot of areas; defensive tackle is not one of them. Powell would have made a difference this year.

Slick
01-27-2009, 03:53 PM
I was not a Clady guy at all "Who would have thought in their wildest dreams that having essentially three rookies on the OLINE this year would not have be a total cluster ****..

I would have taken a DT in the first regardless of how he was ranked.. and a OLT in the second.. so I have been served crow on several occasion and am OK with it..

I wanted the OT from Nebraska as well as a FB from WVU that doesn't seem to be nearly as talented as Hillis.

Hot sauce seems to make my crow easier to eat.

As far as Carlton goes, bcbronc sums up my feelings, but we've yet to see him play so I'll reserve judgment.

It sure would have been nice to have him in the rotation last year though. Maybe it's a good thing he didn't play and learn bad habits from our under achieving previous d-line coaches.

Our new D-line coach came from a 3-4 system I believe. Either way it'll be interesting to see if we add Powell to the increasingly growing atta boy list of the Goodman's.

WARHORSE
01-27-2009, 05:09 PM
As Ive been stating for awhile now, I think we may just have our NT on the roster.

You have to be a very mentally tough individual with a team mentality to even step up to the plate for being a NT. First hurdle passed........this guy has no problem loving to stuff the run, and he knows hes good at it.

I suggested he add some more weight, get a little stronger.

If hes truly had the injury since last years OTAs, then I think theres a good chance he comes in heavier than before and stronger. I wondered why they never gave him a chance to play in the preseason games.

Hes obviously a weight room monster and hes been lifting all this time for sure, once he went into rehab on.

I still think we'll move to get a NT, but what a treat it would be to be able to have TWO.

We can only hope.......as one would be extremely valuable to other teams.

TXBRONC
01-27-2009, 05:38 PM

Jr come on, if Shanahan had pick a DT in the first that didn't warrant a 1st round grade you would have been all over it.

I do agree with you no one could have predicted just how well a rookie left tackle and 2nd year right tackle (whose natural position is left tackle) could play at the level they did. It looks like we are set at both tackle positions for the next decade barring unforeseeable circumstances.

Lonestar
01-27-2009, 06:02 PM
Jr come on, if Shanahan had pick a DT in the first that didn't warrant a 1st round grade you would have been all over it.

I do agree with you no one could have predicted just how well a rookie left tackle and 2nd year right tackle (whose natural position is left tackle) could play at the level they did. It looks like we are set at both tackle positions for the next decade barring unforeseeable circumstances.

NO I would have applauded the move cause it was HUGE position of need..

I've been rooting for a DT since forever..

Now if he would have picked another Tovovasie type that was injured in college and never played a down for us then that would be horse of another color..

TXBRONC
01-27-2009, 06:34 PM
i hope powel hasnt lost any strength, weight or skill from being away for a whole year. he said he can play both positions but he hasnt yet at the next level. i dont want to go into next season with him or an undersized robertson to play nt. i think he will get a shot but i also think we will try and draft or bring in a free agent.

If we go with a 3-4 I would rather see him try being a defensive end.

bcbronc
01-28-2009, 03:31 PM
As Ive been stating for awhile now, I think we may just have our NT on the roster.

You have to be a very mentally tough individual with a team mentality to even step up to the plate for being a NT. First hurdle passed........this guy has no problem loving to stuff the run, and he knows hes good at it.

I suggested he add some more weight, get a little stronger.

If hes truly had the injury since last years OTAs, then I think theres a good chance he comes in heavier than before and stronger. I wondered why they never gave him a chance to play in the preseason games.

Hes obviously a weight room monster and hes been lifting all this time for sure, once he went into rehab on.

I still think we'll move to get a NT, but what a treat it would be to be able to have TWO.

We can only hope.......as one would be extremely valuable to other teams.

probably depends on how severe the injury was. I'm not a doctor and not claiming to be an expert, but I'd think a popped achilles tendon would really limit the kind of lifting Powell could do. Especially the kind of lifting that he'd need to do to become a better run-stuffer taking on 2-3 blockers in the middle of the line.

he could probably do bench press and curls, which will help him look good on the beach. but neither are going to be a big factor when it comes to NT. we need him to be building strength in his core and his legs. squats, leg press, dead lifts, etc. I have no idea how severe the injury was, or whether it needed surgery etc, but I'd expect the training staff would insist on his injury being 110% healed before letting him load up the squat rack.

without knowing details on his injury, I'd expect him to come in this season weaker and less capable of holding up at the point of attack.

Lonestar
01-28-2009, 03:36 PM
probably depends on how severe the injury was. I'm not a doctor and not claiming to be an expert, but I'd think a popped achilles tendon would really limit the kind of lifting Powell could do. Especially the kind of lifting that he'd need to do to become a better run-stuffer taking on 2-3 blockers in the middle of the line.

he could probably do bench press and curls, which will help him look good on the beach. but neither are going to be a big factor when it comes to NT. we need him to be building strength in his core and his legs. squats, leg press, dead lifts, etc. I have no idea how severe the injury was, or whether it needed surgery etc, but I'd expect the training staff would insist on his injury being 110% healed before letting him load up the squat rack.

without knowing details on his injury, I'd expect him to come in this season weaker and less capable of holding up at the point of attack.

I'd guess if it were that bad they would have cut him and gave him a settlement..

Greek knows his stuff and Mikey really listened to him and said he was the best at knowing how long injuries take to heal..

BTW Powell s contract is cheap and should only be cut if it is Obvious he will not be back right now till training camp he is one of 80 players allowed when they report.. Plenty of time between now and then.. to make career decisions.. and REHAB

But lets not talk about tuten..not compare him and Greek..

Spiritguy
01-28-2009, 08:31 PM
I'm hoping Powell can fully heal from his injury and put the attitude and drive I read below to use for our D regardless of the scheme we use.

CP - It's definitely being physical and I really don't like the ball getting past me when it comes my way more than anything. Whatever it takes, I'm taking them down. It just doesn't happen a lot. (love that attitude. wish more of our players had it)

CP - A lot of it is presnap reads and knowing that you're going to get pass protection and knowing down and distance. If its third and long you know its probably a pass or screen. Getting a good presnap read before the play and knowing what you're going to do before it even happens. That gives you a big advantage.

CP - Definitely. There's always tendencies. Like you look at the splits between linemen like if they have a tight split you're probably getting a double team if they got wider splits you're looking at one on one. You look at how much weight they got on their down hand and if their leaning forward they're probably going to run block. If they're leaning back a little nit its probably pass protection. So there are a lot of things that go into it.
(seems to be a step above a lot of other players. using what is between his ears)

CP - Bulking up has never really been a problem for me. What good is it to be 300+ lbs if it's a sloppy 300? Mostly I'm working on speed and agility in the morning and we lift after that with a lower body day or upper body day. (Looks like he can put on more weight if needed)

SF - You're known as a disruptive type of player in the vein of a Warren Sapp. Is that an extension of your quickness or a result of your will?

CP - I'd say both, you know. Getting back there, causing trouble, getting penetration, not waiting for things to happen, you make the play react to you rather than reacting to the play. It works out a lot better from that approach. (I have wanted our D line to approach games that way instead of playing patty cake with the O lineman. Please MCD be aggressive)

rcsodak
01-29-2009, 08:08 PM
The moment they drafted him, and I read up on him, I was excited, 5th round or no!

It was funny how he was considered to be like Robertson, though, after they had traded for him....lol

I hope his injury doesn't impede his growth, and he can get some increasing playing time this year. More youth never hurt.