PDA

View Full Version : How much are the off season tragedies affecting our team??

Watchthemiddle
10-09-2007, 02:32 AM
I was thinking about this team today, yesterday, the day before and so on thinking about whats missing. Do we have the wrong personel on defense for the scheme?

Do we have the wrong offensive personel to run this offense?

Is it bad coaching? Bad special teams play? Bad field position?

Above all of that while watching the game on Sunday I saw no fire from this team. I saw no inspiration. No heart. That is something that has been missing since week one.

That led me to thinking about our off season and the untimely deaths of D Will and Damien Nash. The day after our season was over we lost the spark plug of energy to our team. Sure, time heals all wounds, but are we still hurting and its affecting this team as a whole?

Darrent brought such joy and energy to this team that I have not seen displayed yet this season. His smile, his crazy hair cuts, his gutsy attitude while returning punts. His passion for the game.

The players are wearing a 27 and 29 on their helmets this year. Why? Is it to honor those players? I am sure it is. The way they are playing, just kind of going through the motions is not honoring anyone. I know they all MUST move on but are we now seeing the aftermath of an awful off season?

Perhaps we will never know. Its a question we might never get answered or need to either.

Just something to think about. It made me think about how harsh I have been on the TEAM as a whole and individual players as well and maybe, just maybe they are still mourning.

Tned
10-09-2007, 02:59 AM
I was thinking about this team today, yesterday, the day before and so on thinking about whats missing. Do we have the wrong personel on defense for the scheme?

Above all of that while watching the game on Sunday I saw no fire from this team. I saw no inspiration. No heart. That is something that has been missing since week one.

That led me to thinking about our off season and the untimely deaths of D Will and Damien Nash. The day after our season was over we lost the spark plug of energy to our team. Sure, time heals all wounds, but are we still hurting and its affecting this team as a whole?

Darrent brought such joy and energy to this team that I have not seen displayed yet this season. His smile, his crazy hair cuts, his gutsy attitude while returning punts. His passion for the game.

The players are wearing a 27 and 29 on their helmets this year. Why? Is it to honor those players? I am sure it is. The way they are playing, just kind of going through the motions is not honoring anyone. I know they all MUST move on but are we now seeing the aftermath of an awful off season?

Perhaps we will never know. Its a question we might never get answered or need to either.

Just something to think about. It made me think about how harsh I have been on the TEAM as a whole and individual players as well and maybe, just maybe they are still mourning.

Having experienced personal loss, it can stay with you for quite a while. In my case, it was family, not teammates, so I can't draw a direct comparison. However, looking at how they are losing, I have trouble believing the tragedy was a major factor.

If there was any one event, I would think the loss of Wilson was much greater. Just look at how the defense flounder in the second half of the game Wilson got hurt in, and how they responded the rest of the season. While it is a cliche, he really did appear to be the heart of that defense.

Retired_Member_001
10-10-2007, 10:04 AM
Let's just hope the team doesn't dedicate this season to DWill and DNash. :tsk:

I don't think the off-season tragedies are affecting them ENOUGH. I would have liked to see them more enthusiastic and more passionate, because of the deaths of DWill and Damien. I remember against the Bills, after they had their 3 injuries, Buffalo were all pumped up. We had two deaths behind the team and the team could not look bothered. That was upsetting.

The Dark Knight
10-10-2007, 01:37 PM

Yeah, I'm sure it was huge factor.

I could feel something was wrong during the preseason, and it felt like the team was too somber or distinterested.

Of course everyone thought I was crazy for seeing that.

Watchthemiddle
10-10-2007, 04:36 PM
Having experienced personal loss, it can stay with you for quite a while. In my case, it was family, not teammates, so I can't draw a direct comparison. However, looking at how they are losing, I have trouble believing the tragedy was a major factor.

If there was any one event, I would think the loss of Wilson was much greater. Just look at how the defense flounder in the second half of the game Wilson got hurt in, and how they responded the rest of the season. While it is a cliche, he really did appear to be the heart of that defense.

That is another loss we had for this team this offseason that was unexpected. Wilson might have lost a step, but he was still a pretty darn good middle linebacker. And the intangibles was his leadership that is severly lacking and I believe is missed dearly.

Add the loss of Wilson to the 2 deaths and it could just be something that this team is having to deal with phsycologically that we just can't understand.

I know its a stretch, but to have something tragic happen in the first game of the season might not have helped much either when Everett went down for the Bills. WHo knows. All I know is that as a fan I am searching for answers of my teams performance and this could be hampering them a bit.

Lonestar
10-10-2007, 10:37 PM
I suspect that while on the filed they are thinking and reacting to only those football items.

To do anything else is inviting injury but then again maybe that is what is going on after all.

Uncle Buck
10-10-2007, 11:22 PM

"What he said!" <holding up missing sign>

Football players and football teams get past personal tragedies. Just look at Coach Dungy, for example. While the Colts didn't grab the Big One that season, they did it the next.

And, as I recall, Brett Favre played one of his best games in the immediate aftermath of his father/mentor's death.

Nope, the real answer is just this simple: there are a lot of sudden changes that need to be overcome.

SBboundBRONCOS
10-11-2007, 12:34 AM
ive never experienced anything as tragic as a shotting but some of my family member have past, and i can say that while it hurts, it not devastating enough to not get passed within a month or two. it not like in the movies where you lose somebody and then your entire life downspirals into complete disaster

i say its just the fact that our player are either very young guys with loads if talent but not much experience or very old guys with not much talent anymore but tons of experience. what we are missing are the guys with both, the probowler who have been in the league for about 5-6 years in the prime of their career and have the perfect combo of talent and experience.

eventualy this team will be great, its too bad that its gonna be too late for a lot of our great player, like smith, lynch, and possible even champ, bly depending on how many tackles he has to keep making :ahhhhh:

hopefully we can pull it together this season and turn it around, i dont see it happening though