PDA

View Full Version : "This is my home now"

Denver Native (Carol)
01-25-2009, 05:39 PM
http://www.denverpost.com/sports/ci_11543218

"This is my home now"

Josh McDaniels hasn't visited the Denver Mint, the stock show, Molly Brown's house, Buffalo Bill's gravesite or John Elway's restaurants.

But, a few days ago, like "The Tourist" from Radiohead, he did slow down and wander through the empty, echoing halls beneath the football stadium.

The Broncos' new coach has his cap and his priorities on straight. McDaniels knows where he must do serious business.

"It was the first time I've ever been in the home locker room and the coach's room here in Denver. I savored every moment of it. This is one of the best stadiums in football, one of the best cities for football," McDaniels said. "This is my home now."

This is where he must win games and the uncompromising support of Broncos fanatics.

"I'd been at the stadium several times before with the Patriots, and I always remember that '5,280 feet' sign above the visiting locker room and the warnings about what can happen to you at this altitude. We always studied the oxygen effects on players when we came to Denver.

"Altitude can be a real asset if you control the football and don't turn it over. If you're not playing well, it doesn't matter," McDaniels said in his first exclusive newspaper interview since being introduced Jan. 13 as the Broncos' 12th — and, at 32, youngest — head coach.

McDaniels hit the high ground running, although he loves passing.

What has he learned about being a head coach that he didn't realize two weeks ago?

"Today somebody came into my office and asked me about a yoga instructor helping the players. I never thought I'd be talking about yoga. I don't know anything about yoga.

"And I'm picking out blinds for the office windows."

Otherwise, McDaniels sounds confident and well-prepared for the job.

"Ever since I realized I was too small to play in the NFL, I've been working to become a head coach at the highest level," he said.

McDaniels played quarterback in high school and was a small wide receiver at tiny John Carroll University in Cleveland. The Jesuit college's top academic graduate in 1998 has become its second NFL coach.

Don Shula was the first.

McDaniels spent 1999 as a graduate assistant under Nick Saban at Michigan State, was in the plastics business (see Dustin Hoffman in "The Graduate") for a year and joined the Patriots as a personnel assistant in 2001. He became a defensive assistant in 2002, quarterbacks coach in 2004, offensive coordinator in 2006. He owns three Super Bowl championship rings.

"The most important thing I did was to listen and learn," he said. "I tried to absorb everything that the coaches said. I spent eight years listening to Bill (Belichick) and the other coaches, and I learned so much from them. I feel I've utilized all that knowledge, all those years of their experience, all their success to become the coach I am."

Maturation process

McDaniels is comfortable, organized, passionate and commanding — "I am a confident person" — in his new role.

A year ago at the Super Bowl, McDaniels spoke to a media gathering and was hesitant, reticent, said "uh" too frequently. He was considered a Whiz Kid, but seemed like a kid. After that event, despite overtures, McKid still needed refinement.

"I worked with my agent and by myself on my communication skills, and I understand more about dealing with the media as a conduit to the fans," he said.

In a long, relaxed interview, McDaniels showed that he is personable, sharp and smart — and can laugh and be humorous. But he is serious about proving that youth has not been wasted on him.

McDaniels said he is typical of his age category: "I can text message. I can use a computer."

I don't think that was a slam at Mike Shanahan, who admitted he didn't know how to text.

He's a "clone" of Jim Rome's "jungle" radio talk show: "Age isn't a factor, except I think a lot of players can relate to me. And I think I'll get better at things I haven't done before. I can process information."

Josh is a name and a leader from the Y Generation, and he occasionally utters the word "awesome."

Immediately after taking over, McDaniels assembled his staff. That critical task is over.

"We feel we have brought together an exceptional group, a diverse mix of coaches, some older, some younger, some from the division, some from the other conference. I'm excited."

He retained running backs coach Bobby Turner, 60, and hired as an offensive assistant Ben McDaniels, 28 (and Josh's brother).

While living in a hotel (he just moved into a temporary apartment), McDaniels began watching tape of his team and individual players.

"I reaffirmed that they have a lot of talented players," he said."I mean, we have a lot of good players."

Room for improvement

The emphasis from within and outside the franchise has been on a Reconstruction period for a poor, poorer, porous defense, "but we've got a lot of room for improvement on offense, in our kicking game, on defense. There's not one specific area. We need to get better everywhere. I am all about all of them."

McDaniels will sit down with his assistants this week — "I'm not going to the Super Bowl," he said emphatically and probably with some remorse — and talk seriously about systems, schemes, players and plans.

McDaniels came to the Broncos when he had other choices, because "I was so impressed with Mr. (Pat) Bowlen" and the other members of the front office he met with, and because of his belief the Broncos' organization strives to be the best.

"Just like New England. We had an owner, a coach, a staff and players who were committed to being the best, and that's the same dedication in Denver," he said. "The fans, the environment, just about everything about Denver — and I've found out the weather is better than I thought — helped make my decision."

Opinions of McDaniels in an NFL-frenzied, old dusty cowtown could change as swiftly as the weather.

"When I'm raked over the coals (by the fans and the media), I believe I can handle it," he said.

The coach hasn't met the players, but he spoke by phone with one — the quarterback.

Jay Cutler was unhappy about the firing of Shanahan and couldn't have been thrilled about the parting of Jeremy Bates.

"I'm aware of that," McDaniels said, "but I hope he's as excited about what we're doing here as I am having him here. I know he's going to have a whole lot of fun playing in this offense."

McDaniels personally coached New England quarterback Matt Cassel, who took over last season for the injured Tom Brady and played remarkably well as the season progressed.

"Matt was very, very dedicated. He was the backup for three seasons and prepared himself for that opportunity," he said. "We told him we would rein in the offense early in the season, but we kept doing more as it became apparent that he was responding exceptionally well."

McDaniels has responded exceptionally well, too.

His wife Laura returned to Massachusetts to be with their children, Jack and Maddie. When she comes back, "we'll sightsee a little. But I'm here to work. This is what I've always wanted to do. I'm ready."

Always ready.

Maybe that should be the insignia placed above the Broncos' locker room door.

lex
01-25-2009, 05:43 PM
Gen Y? Isnt Gen X 1963-ish to 1983-ish?

NameUsedBefore
01-25-2009, 05:49 PM
Kinda strange he hasn't communicated with the players much but I dunno how that goes in the NFL. Good article though, lot of information and it's cool that he's realized his dreams.

Ziggy
01-25-2009, 06:19 PM
Kinda strange he hasn't communicated with the players much but I dunno how that goes in the NFL. Good article though, lot of information and it's cool that he's realized his dreams.

He's been busy hiring coaches, and bringing in all of his other staff. I' guessing that he is also working with Goodman in evaluating FA and prospective draftees. Not to mention, buying a new home, getting his family settled, and evaluating the players currently on the roster. I wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't talk to the rest of the players until offseason workouts begin.

MOtorboat
01-25-2009, 06:20 PM
He's been busy hiring coaches, and bringing in all of his other staff. I' guessing that he is also working with Goodman in evaluating FA and prospective draftees. Not to mention, buying a new home and getting his family settled. I wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't talk to the rest of the players until offseason workouts begin.

Players are on vacation. Shanahan wouldn't have had much contact with them until March-ish, either.

I forget when the first mini-camp is.

broncobryce
01-25-2009, 06:28 PM
I know for a fact he called Elvis Dumervil. I assumed he called most of 'em by now.

Bozo Jr.
01-25-2009, 07:26 PM
He sounds humbled to have the opportunity to coach in the great city of Denver. I'm liking this guy more and more each day.

Lonestar
01-25-2009, 08:08 PM
this is what stuck out at me..

"Altitude can be a real asset if you control the football and don't turn it over. If you're not playing well, it doesn't matter," McDaniels said in his first exclusive newspaper interview since being introduced Jan. 13 as the Broncos' 12th — and, at 32, youngest — head coach.

dogfish
01-25-2009, 08:22 PM

me too. . .

Lonestar
01-25-2009, 08:25 PM
me too. . .

I have to wonder with that statement and one earlier he said we have to get bigger, faster, and stronger..

I really can not wait to see what he mean..

Are we going to run the ball more than they did in NE. or just enough to make the pass game effective..

Maybe Medford has more input about this guy..

elsid13
01-25-2009, 08:26 PM
Gen Y? Isnt Gen X 1963-ish to 1983-ish?

Yes, he isn't Gen Y. But it is Woody and anything after 1950 is to modern for him.

Watchthemiddle
01-25-2009, 08:40 PM

Sounds like he agrees with some of us that 3 and outs won't cut it on this offense, nor will turnovers......especially turnovers inside the redzone.

Opposing offenses this season used our altitude to their advantage better than our own offense did. They kept our D on the field, unlike our offense keeping the other defenses on the field.

RunYouOver
01-25-2009, 08:46 PM
That was a great read...I'm anxious for the next season to start already

TXBRONC
01-25-2009, 09:29 PM
That was a great read...I'm anxious for the next season to start already

Same here. :beer:

Ziggy
01-25-2009, 09:42 PM
I know for a fact he called Elvis Dumervil. I assumed he called most of 'em by now.

link?

Dean
01-25-2009, 09:45 PM
He talks the talk. It will be interesting starting with the draft, into camp, and culminating with the season how he walks the walk.

LRtagger
01-26-2009, 09:16 AM
Whats great is he has never done this before, but he still knows exactly what to say. At the same time you know its genuine and not regurgitated speaches to keep the media and fans happy....which is what I thought Mike had been doing for the past 4-5 years.

Shazam!
01-26-2009, 09:26 AM
The man has done everything great thus far. This is the most exciting season since 2003 and previously 1998. I can't wait for the Draft. It's going to feel like a LONG, LONG offseason.

CoachChaz
01-26-2009, 10:22 AM
The man has done everything great thus far. This is the most exciting season since 2003 and previously 1998. I can't wait for the Draft. It's going to feel like a LONG, LONG offseason.

But an exciting one