PDA

View Full Version : ESPN first take

catfish
12-05-2011, 11:21 AM
Todays edition has the usual Skip Bayless Tebow love fest, but later in the show Mangini breaks down the two TD passes...interesting look into how DT got wide open

SoCalImport
12-05-2011, 12:01 PM
From where I was sitting They were both due to either HUGE mis-communication between the CB and safety or (maybe) the CB losing coverage when Tebow roles his way. Fear the throwing FB!!

lgenf
12-05-2011, 12:29 PM
Here's what was said

First TD play to bey bey

The offense scheme and play call was perfect against a cover 2 defense call - everyone (4 WRs) on vertical routes

On the right side of the formation the inside DB pushed the slot WR out and the outside CB pushed the outside WR in which gets our two WRs close to each other and allows for the 1 safety on that side of the field to cover both guys IF they keep coming deep

However, on the left side of the formation, neither CB jammed well at the line and directed their WRs where the defense wanted/needed them to go, the slot guy released fairly clean and keep driving down the field (decker) and the outside WR got off the line clean and drove down the field (thomas).

Then HERE'S THE KICKER

Tebow held his eyes and position on decker which forced the safety on that side to play the inside WR, which allowed Thomas to get deeper then the CB and with the safety held by Tebows eyes on decker, Tebow delivered a strike to Thomas who was deeper then the CB because the CB is expecting deep help.

So it was a combo of good play calling, good execution at the line of scrimmage for both decker and Thomas to get clean releases and Tebow holding the safety on the inside guy while Thomas got deeper then the coverage.

Second TD - basically chalked up to two things

First - Thomas ran a 10-12 hitch/curl route, not open immediately, pocket pressure, Tebow slides the pocket to the left and avoids Allen, Thomas floats left with him, then Tebow comes up field slightly which caused the CB to come up to prevent T2 taking off, that left our FB open on the sidelines for about a 8 yd gain, but Thomas floats back to the center of the field as the entire defense starts coming left, which got him separation, then Tebow gets the stiff arm to avoid the tackle and the defense starts to collapse because now everyone starts thinking run, and Thomas floats back left towards Tebow and is wide open.

Second - Once again Tebow was credited with keeping his eyes down field and moving to extend the play without hauling it down the field

pikkiwoki
12-05-2011, 07:35 PM
Here's what was said

First TD play to bey bey

The offense scheme and play call was perfect against a cover 2 defense call - everyone (4 WRs) on vertical routes

On the right side of the formation the inside DB pushed the slot WR out and the outside CB pushed the outside WR in which gets our two WRs close to each other and allows for the 1 safety on that side of the field to cover both guys IF they keep coming deep

However, on the left side of the formation, neither CB jammed well at the line and directed their WRs where the defense wanted/needed them to go, the slot guy released fairly clean and keep driving down the field (decker) and the outside WR got off the line clean and drove down the field (thomas).

Then HERE'S THE KICKER

Tebow held his eyes and position on decker which forced the safety on that side to play the inside WR, which allowed Thomas to get deeper then the CB and with the safety held by Tebows eyes on decker, Tebow delivered a strike to Thomas who was deeper then the CB because the CB is expecting deep help.

So it was a combo of good play calling, good execution at the line of scrimmage for both decker and Thomas to get clean releases and Tebow holding the safety on the inside guy while Thomas got deeper then the coverage.

Second TD - basically chalked up to two things

First - Thomas ran a 10-12 hitch/curl route, not open immediately, pocket pressure, Tebow slides the pocket to the left and avoids Allen, Thomas floats left with him, then Tebow comes up field slightly which caused the CB to come up to prevent T2 taking off, that left our FB open on the sidelines for about a 8 yd gain, but Thomas floats back to the center of the field as the entire defense starts coming left, which got him separation, then Tebow gets the stiff arm to avoid the tackle and the defense starts to collapse because now everyone starts thinking run, and Thomas floats back left towards Tebow and is wide open.

Second - Once again Tebow was credited with keeping his eyes down field and moving to extend the play without hauling it down the field

But, but, but I thought Tebow couldn't read defenses? :confused:

Anybody got video of this? I saw this and want to see it again. Excellent breakdown by Mangini.

The only thing I'm wondering is how Mangini could tell where Tebow's eyes were looking. Was Mangini just watching where Tebow's head/helmet was pointed? Did he have a different camera angle that gave a clear view of Tebow's eyes?

lgenf
12-05-2011, 08:17 PM
But, but, but I thought Tebow couldn't read defenses? :confused:

Anybody got video of this? I saw this and want to see it again. Excellent breakdown by Mangini.

The only thing I'm wondering is how Mangini could tell where Tebow's eyes were looking. Was Mangini just watching where Tebow's head/helmet was pointed? Did he have a different camera angle that gave a clear view of Tebow's eyes?

Yeah he was watching his helmet, and from different camera angles and you could watch his progressions looking right, looking center, holding on center and then quickly looking left and throwing

pikkiwoki
12-05-2011, 08:57 PM
Yeah he was watching his helmet, and from different camera angles and you could watch his progressions looking right, looking center, holding on center and then quickly looking left and throwing

We've got the vid!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QbkPXu2WpNU

broncobryce
12-05-2011, 09:05 PM
Skip is cool. He's crazy but it's nice Tebow has one cheerleader on tv to balance out some of the bs.

lgenf
12-05-2011, 10:01 PM
Trent Dilfer had some really good things to say about T2 today

Talking about his eyes being settled and looking down field, sliding in the pocket, even moving out of the pocket, but still looking down field and waiting for the receivers to get open, and all the while the eyes were settled and that means his feet were settled, and when his feet are settled he's delivering a great ball, good spin, great position for the receivers and very catchable ball

Then commented, if he's made these kind of strides and improvements in these short weeks during the season, oh boy watch out when he gets all offseason to work with coaches and the receivers, and only now are he and the receivers starting to figure each other out and get their timing down.

He seemed to think that big things could be in the future....

He was on Mike and Mike and The Herd today

pikkiwoki
12-05-2011, 10:09 PM
Trent Dilfer had some really good things to say about T2 today

Talking about his eyes being settled and looking down field, sliding in the pocket, even moving out of the pocket, but still looking down field and waiting for the receivers to get open, and all the while the eyes were settled and that means his feet were settled, and when his feet are settled he's delivering a great ball, good spin, great position for the receivers and very catchable ball

Then commented, if he's made these kind of strides and improvements in these short weeks during the season, oh boy watch out when he gets all offseason to work with coaches and the receivers, and only now are he and the receivers starting to figure each other out and get their timing down.

He seemed to think that big things could be in the future....

He was on Mike and Mike and The Herd today

I watched Mike and Mike this morning. IMO, Dilbag is just covering his own ass. Tebow did some of that stuff in his rookie year starts. I guess Dilbag didn't see any of those games.

pikkiwoki
12-05-2011, 10:35 PM
Dilfer is actually saying "I told you so!" about Tebow!

http://www.milehighreport.com/2011/12/5/2613154/trent-dilfer-just-said-i-told-you-so

Are you effing kidding me?

lgenf
12-05-2011, 10:49 PM

http://www.milehighreport.com/2011/12/5/2613154/trent-dilfer-just-said-i-told-you-so

He explained that earlier on the show, that he wrote a piece when Tebow got I. The second half of SD 1

That in his piece he wrote, Tebow with his skill set would have short term success because no one plays like him, and no one has played like that before.

He did go on to say he has no idea how long this train would run for, and then went into the evolution he is seeing with Tebow.

MOtorboat
12-05-2011, 11:07 PM

What amazes me is that people seemingly don't listen at all to what these analysts say. They continually make up what they want the analyst to say so that they can categorically hate them without actually listening to what they say, This is just another poor example.

pikkiwoki
12-05-2011, 11:17 PM
What amazes me is that people seemingly don't listen at all to what these analysts say. They continually make up what they want the analyst to say so that they can categorically hate them without actually listening to what they say, This is just another poor example.

Well, if Dilfer has said anything positive about Tebow before this current Denver run, then I missed it and I'm wrong. I have honestly never heard Dilfer give Tebow anything close to credit. Every time I've heard Dilfer open his pie-hole he's blasting him.

Superchop 7
12-05-2011, 11:46 PM
The receivers are doing a nice job of finding open space when the play breaks down. Most QB's would have hit Larsen on a checkdown.

vhatever
12-06-2011, 12:31 AM
Well, if Dilfer has said anything positive about Tebow before this current Denver run, then I missed it and I'm wrong. I have honestly never heard Dilfer give Tebow anything close to credit. Every time I've heard Dilfer open his pie-hole he's blasting him.

Don't worry about motor; he's feeling as a kindred spirit with dillhole. You just don't understand, I liked him the whole time!