PDA

View Full Version : Tim Tebow showcases passing ability (yes, really!) in Denver win

Denver Native (Carol)
12-04-2011, 11:01 PM
The best quarterback rating in the league for Week 13 will not go to someone named Drew Brees, Tom Brady or Aaron Rodgers, unless Mr. Brees goes off the hook against the Detroit Lions on Sunday Night Football (which is entirely possible). The top quarterback rating in Week could very well go to ... Tim Tebow.

Say what?

Sunday's 35-32 win by the Denver Broncos over the Minnesota Vikings perhaps answers the question of Tebow having a NFL future with a resounding "yes." Best known for running the ball out of the Broncos option offense, Tebow put together not just his best and most complete game in a NFL career that now spans 19 games, it was also the first time he was able to truly showcase his arm and accuracy. Tebow's 15 pass attempts was actually just slightly below his season average coming into the game, but his 10 passes completed showed an ability to get the ball down the field.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/shutdown_corner/post/Tim-Tebow-showcases-passing-ability-yes-really?urn=nfl-wp13160

BORDERLINE
12-04-2011, 11:07 PM
He threw the ball very well today. We all seen that the last 3 games of last year and I was only waiting until that same Tebow showed up.

He finally did, let's hope he keeps getting better and we will be a dangerous team for years to come

Northman
12-04-2011, 11:08 PM
Dude was money today, some really good passes with some nice touch. This was the kind of stuff i wanted to see and Teebs delivered.

D1g1tal j1m
12-05-2011, 12:22 AM
The "experts" won't give him any credit. They will spout how badly the Vikes secondary is (and they are bad) and how wide open DT was for those long pass plays.

Just wait for it...

Northman
12-05-2011, 12:47 AM
The "experts" won't give him any credit. They will spout how badly the Vikes secondary is (and they are bad) and how wide open DT was for those long pass plays.

Just wait for it...

They can complain all they want, sometimes hitting the wide open guy is harder because you can overthink it.

camdisco24
12-05-2011, 12:56 AM
I think this shows if we can get him in a rhythm, he'll be a fine passer.

TT15Superman
12-05-2011, 01:11 AM

Just wait for it...Opponent D's have shown their two choices the last 2 weeks...
1. Stop Tebow's passing, and get beat by his runs.
2. Stop Tebow's run, and get beat by passes.

So, why is it that Tebow can't play in the NFL?:confused:

Wonder what the new D wrinkle will be to stop the Tebow train?

BTW, did anyone NOT know that Tebow was going to carry that 2 point conversion? It's one thing to know...another to stop.

dogfish
12-05-2011, 01:22 AM
Dude was money today, some really good passes with some nice touch. This was the kind of stuff i wanted to see and Teebs delivered.

yep-- his passing was significantly improved today. . . very encouraging. . . .

I Eat Staples
12-05-2011, 01:30 AM

Just wait for it...

Well, at least Tebow refuted their claims that he misses wide open receivers. He's also well on his way to proving he can read defenses. He didn't seem to have any problem recognizing blitzes and finding the open man (which always happened to be DT for some odd reason.)

pipes
12-05-2011, 06:51 AM
I've never thought that Tebow had a problem reading defenses...if he did/does, I would think his interception total would be a lot higher.

I was at the game and what I saw from Tim: while warming up, he had a lot of zip on his passes, Quinn's didn't look nearly as stealthy.
I also saw him miss a couple of easy passes: 1) his first pass which was to DT out of the flat and 2) one to Decker over the middle where Decker dove/slid to attempt to haul it in but couldn't/didn't

I also saw Tebow make some unreal plays in the pocket to keep a play alive and was refreshing to see DT not give up on those plays and continue to work to get open.

I think one of Tim's best passes was later on in the game. It was 3rd and long. Tim ran around a bit then rolled to his right, squared his shoulders, and threw a strike to Matt Willis. Great play that unfortunately did not count due to a penalty and the next play was a draw to Lance, I believe.

All in all, it was a very entertaining game... Even better that it was both of my son's first games....and now my beautiful fiancé (Vikings fan) gets to wear Broncos stuff (head to toe) - the next time we go out on the town.

Oh...other things I noticed: Doom gets held...A LOT!, Goodman is horrible (although he did come thru at the end), Clady is massive, and Tebow, Quinn, and Decker seem to have a very good rapport with one another, also DJ might not wear the C on his chest anymore but that guy is one of the leaders on this team!-I saw him making very passionate instructions to the other LB's and DL on more than one occasion.

-the Royal hit was the hardest hit I've ever seen and heard it clear as a bell, hope he's ok!

Colquitt is amazing! Harvin has absolute stupid acceleration and speed, Ponder looks like he has a bright future, Metrodome is still a dump!

Joel
12-05-2011, 08:37 AM
That the article (and the NFL passer rating) counts Tebows passing yards as 202 but the box score shows it as 186 illustrates one of the problems with the NFL PRS. So does the fact Tebows official NFL PR is only 149.3: It would actually be 158.2 (as close as you can get to NFL "perfection" without being there) but the NFL caps each categorys value (which is why 158.3 is "perfect.") It's not a big deal over the course of a season or career because actual numbers never exceed the cap for a career (and rarely for a season) but with a singe games much shorter sample size it shows up frequently, especially with QBs who pass as little as Tebow. Basically, according to the NFL PRS, Tebow wasn't 10/15 for 202 yds, 2 TDs and 0 Ints, he was 10/15 for 187.5 yds, 1.78 TDs and 0 Ints. Ironically, if you count his sacks (which the PRS doesn't) the yardage count is basically right. [/rant]

By any measure though, it was a banner passing day, and went a long way toward silencing those who insist Tebow can never be a legit NFL passer. Yes, the Viking secondary is awful so a lot of the throws were wide open, but those are precisely the throws Tebows critics insist he can't make consistently, either because he can't find the open man quickly or can't get the ball there when he does. Yesterday he did both, many times, and the only other thing a passer needs (other than arm strength, which he clearly has) is the ability to do it QUICKLY (which is improving) and not force the ball into tight coverage (which has never been a problem for Tebow, unlike Ponder and just about every other rookie QB in League history.)

Opponent D's have shown their two choices the last 2 weeks...
1. Stop Tebow's passing, and get beat by his runs.
2. Stop Tebow's run, and get beat by passes.

So, why is it that Tebow can't play in the NFL?:confused:

Wonder what the new D wrinkle will be to stop the Tebow train?

BTW, did anyone NOT know that Tebow was going to carry that 2 point conversion? It's one thing to know...another to stop.
It wasn't a given, and that is the point: Tebow CAN play in the NFL IF he passes as well as he runs. No one's ever disputed that, but many people (rightly) note the he doesn't, and a lot of them don't think he ever will. That's what makes his performance against MN, regardless of their secondarys relative quailty, so huge: He had a huge day as a PASSER, and doing that consistently will prove all the naysayers wrong (oh, and incidentally make Denver perennial title contenders, if anyone's interested in that.)

I've never thought that Tebow had a problem reading defenses...if he did/does, I would think his interception total would be a lot higher.
Not neccesarily: It would be higher if he threw the ball under those circumstances, but he could just as easily eat sacks because he was unsure where to go and unwilling to risk a turnover. That's what I and many people think caused the embarrassing 11 sacks in his first two starts. He can make reads but, like so many other nuanced things about the NFL, being a second year QB who never needed that in college and had no offseason prep makes him SLOWER.

He can recognize and figure out NFL Ds; he's not stupid. However, the training and experience (or lack thereof) force him to spend a little longer studying the opposition, and in the NFL QBs rarely have more than four or five seconds to figure out the D before it's in their face.

The funny thing is the option actually helps lower the learning curve there, because that's the ONE respect in which Tebow had to make defensive reads on almost every play in college. It may also help overall in that the option forces QBs to make defensive reads constantly, not just sit in a tape room watching film for coaches who ask, "what's this?" but recognizing and executing in the heat of battle. That doesn't help Tebow figure out coverage schemes, but he is definitely used to looking at defenders in real time and recognizing what they'll do based on formation. If he weren't, the option wouldn't work as well as it has for us (it also helps that most pro defenders haven't seen the option in 5-10 years and may be a little rusty against it; they seem to be adjusting though.)

Who knows, in a few years pro coaches may start drilling QBs on the option even if they never use it in games, just to get them used to making quick field level reads. ;)

MOtorboat
12-05-2011, 08:51 AM
It was also out of a "conventional" offense. There was obviously shotgun and even a little pistol in the formation choices, but that was a completely "conventional" offense.

Tebow should pattern his game after Roethlisberger and McCoy needs to watch film on the Steelers offense.

wayninja
12-05-2011, 09:09 AM
They can complain all they want, sometimes hitting the wide open guy is harder because you can overthink it.

Also, wasn't the ability to hit wide open receivers a recent point of criticism.... No problems yesterday.

Nick
12-05-2011, 01:42 PM
The biggest thing I saw and looked back at all his passes was him moving his eyes and going through progressions... that well.

Eye movement is the single thing that is most important for your accuracy and footwork believe it or not.

He has blown me away on how much he has improved... He must have been working around the clock very hard.

My hat off to Tebow.

What a game that would have been to go to, looking at replays the fans were standing up through the entire 2nd half.

Northman
12-05-2011, 02:10 PM
Oh...other things I noticed: Doom gets held...A LOT!

I figured as much and it frustrates the hell out of me as a fan.

Joel
12-05-2011, 07:38 PM
What a game that would have been to go to, looking at replays the fans were standing up through the entire 2nd half.
Must've made Von Miller feel right at home:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Texas_A%26M_Aggies_football#12th_Man

rcsodak
12-05-2011, 11:17 PM
Also, wasn't the ability to hit wide open receivers a recent point of criticism.... No problems yesterday.
He's shown he can pas vs #32/#29 (with backup S's) ranked pass D's over the last 2yrs.
I'd hate to see what would happen vs Houston THIS yr.

Mobile Post via http://Mobile.BroncosForums.com/forums

nevcraw
12-05-2011, 11:26 PM
He's shown he can pas vs #32/#29 (with backup S's) ranked pass D's over the last 2yrs.

another cutesy contrarian.. how quaint. he's 6-1 and you don't have shit to say about that..

pikkiwoki
12-05-2011, 11:34 PM

There's always hope for the QB as long as Kareem Jackson is on the field.