PDA

View Full Version : Can we open up the passing game now?

cmc0605
12-04-2011, 08:03 PM
I think Tebow has proved that he should at least be given the opportunity to throw more with the trust of the coaches. The spread is always good for this team, and once he becomes a real dual run-pass threat, this can be a high powered offense. It's obvious we can't rely on the option stuff and the defense giving up 10 points a game the whole season (even when Von comes back).

Granted, we did play a bottom-5 pass defense and I don't suspect we'll see wide open guys all the time, but I think we have a real receiving core in Thomas and Decker. But Tebow made some excellent throws and decisions, and even some of the ones that were incomplete (like the fade to Thomas near the end of the game showed good poise). I'd like to see a legit threat TE next year. But we should open it up.

sneakers
12-04-2011, 08:08 PM
I think Tebow has proved that he should at least be given the opportunity to throw more with the trust of the coaches. The spread is always good for this team, and once he becomes a real dual run-pass threat, this can be a high powered offense. It's obvious we can't rely on the option stuff and the defense giving up 10 points a game the whole season (even when Von comes back).

Granted, we did play a bottom-5 pass defense and I don't suspect we'll see wide open guys all the time, but I think we have a real receiving core in Thomas and Decker. But Tebow made some excellent throws and decisions, and even some of the ones that were incomplete (like the fade to Thomas near the end of the game showed good poise). I'd like to see a legit threat TE next year. But we should open it up.

If we play the vikings secondary each week, yes.

Northman
12-04-2011, 08:15 PM
Denver just needs to keep doing what they are doing. If they want to get more creative wait until next year when Tebow has gotten more time behind center and a full offseason. No need to change the gameplan right now.

weazel
12-04-2011, 08:34 PM
I think 15 - 20 passes a game is about the most your going to see. Tebow looked a lot more accurate today though, I was pretty impressed!

SR
12-04-2011, 08:40 PM
We have a legitimate TE threat in Julius Thomas if he can stay healthy and work his way in to the lineup, but right now Denver needs the extra blockers on the o-line so they've been playing bigger, blocking type TEs in Fells and Rosario.

broncofaninfla
12-04-2011, 08:47 PM
The 8 man boxes dictate Denver passing the ball more. We'll have to throw more to keep the defense honest. I feel alot better about that after watching this game. Tebow is getting better with each game and not throwing picks, he's throwing touchdown passes and most importantly we are winning. Mucho props to DT coming alive today as well and hopefully we get our best player, Von Miller back soon.
This is some damn fun football to watch!

Tned
12-04-2011, 11:36 PM
I think 15 - 20 passes a game is about the most your going to see. Tebow looked a lot more accurate today though, I was pretty impressed!

I think it will be dictated by the opponent. Ideally, you're right, 15-20 passes is what they want. However, if a team like the Pats score at will, then the Broncos will have to respond with a more aggressive passing attack, or if a team is successful in selling out to stop the run.

broncofaninfla
12-05-2011, 10:04 AM
I'm convinced we'll see more passing until teams back off of the 8 men in the box.

lgenf
12-05-2011, 10:07 AM
NO!!!!!

We are a running team that is developing passing game

When the defense stacks 8 in the box, then the passing game is open, I don't want us becoming a passing offense, and that is what opening up the passing game will do

We run to open up the pass, it's working so keep doing it

IF IT AIN'T BROKE DON'T FIX IT!!!!!!

catfish
12-05-2011, 10:25 AM
I'm convinced we'll see more passing until teams back off of the 8 men in the box.

when they back off loading the box watch them start running the read option again and gashing teams for 250 yds a game....one of the dangers of having a running QB pick your poison do you want you one on ones at the line or in the secondary

Nomad
12-05-2011, 10:31 AM
Tebow will definitely be tested next Sunday because NE, Bills, and KC defenses are not so intimidating though the Bears didn't beat KC with their defense.

Mike
12-05-2011, 10:45 AM
I would like to see a little more balance playcalling. Maybe 40/60 pass/run ratio. I would like to see them get a little more creative early in the game to get defenses off balance and on their toes.

That said, the coaches have a formula and, though I think it is handicapping the team, it is winning. So it is hard to argue against. This game gives a lot of credence to what they were saying last week about the coaches feeling out the defenses early to see what they can do later. Kudos to them for sticking with that and making it work for them.

rationalfan
12-05-2011, 11:39 AM
i think there's still this residual belief that mccoy is terrible. uncreative. a glorified QBs coach given the OC title. somehow, he's to blame every time the offense struggles and it's still his fault when the offensive does well (he should have passed more, he should have run more, he should have built a cyborg to play tight end, etc.; then the team would do really well).

what i see is a coaching staff that's adapting its game plan to the competition every week. they target weak points on the defense and attack it - sometimes in subtle ways, sometimes more obvious. and what i like about mccoy/fox is that their game plan is free of vanity/conceit. it's not like shanny or mcd who had to impose their offensive theories onto opponents whether it worked or failed. mccoy/fox are shifting game plans (even offensive styles) every week; and they're fine tuning them at halftime.

it reminds me more of basketball, where the coaches have a fluid style that conforms to the moment and the opponent. so many football coaches are rigid, stubborn in their approaches. this broncos staff is anything but. i LOVE that as a fan. they're putting more stock in victories than ego. after two coaches that had egos bigger than the buildings they worked in, it's refreshing to witness that.

and some of that credit HAS to go to mccoy. i think he's doing a very good job.

underrated29
12-05-2011, 12:48 PM
I think mccoy is doing a terrible job calling the plays. designing the offense and the scheme to fit tebow and bring him along, I agree he has done well. But his play calling, play selection and timing on those is 100 PATHETIC!!! and I have griped about this for 3 years!!!

Also he does not change things at half time accoring to tebow. Tebow was interviewed yesterday and he said at halftime Mccoy came to the players and said- "the script isnt going to change, the plays arent going to change, so look yourselves in the mirror"--or something close to that.

However, we sure called a lot more pass plays and did not do our usual run up the guy on 1st,2nd,3rd down....

I still think he is terrible. When you have a 250lb QB on the half inch line you do a sneak, not our slowest developing run play we have. We also called that play again on the 3rd and short. TEBOW was even pissed about it and said lets go for it because he knew he could get it. We punted instead, which is fine. But I still do not see any RB screens. No short crossing passes in the 5 yard range (which is behind the LBs) as they are so close to the LOS....I have yet to see any PA boots, or boots in general. We also for some reason stopped running off tackle.
The outside was open all game long, I even made some posts about why we werent running there. Sure enough, the RBs got stuffed up the middle and then bounce them outside for big gains.

I do not like mccoy.