PDA

View Full Version : My Letter to Fox Sports, RE Cutting away from Broncos Game.

NightTrainLayne
12-04-2011, 05:38 PM
Channel: Fox25.

I am writing to express my extreme displeasure in Fox Sports' decision to switch coverage away from the Denver Broncos vs Minnesota Vikings game inside the final two minutes with the game tied.

This had been one of the most exciting games I have watched this season, and had watched the entire game up until this point.

To make matters worse, the Cowboys game we were switched to hadn't even kicked off yet, and we were stuck watching pre-game hype and a sideline interview with Jason Garrett. In other words, you switched us away from actual game action in the final two minutes of a tie game, to non-game action, and commercials.

I'm wondering if switching the game to "Heidi" would have been a better call on your part. At least then the NFL would know where you stand. As it is, it's very confusing to figure out why you bothered even showing an early game. Perhaps the NFL would be better off just giving you rights to the late games.

I encourage everyone else affected to do the same. This was utterly ridiculous. Luckily, I have NFL Redzone, and only missed a play or two.

jhildebrand
12-04-2011, 05:40 PM
I think it is NFL contractual rules that they switch. The letter should go to the NFL.

You could tell there was an onus in the final minutes to finally put the flags away and get that game over with.

BroncoStud
12-04-2011, 05:42 PM
Yeah, that was total bullshit. I missed the interception trying to get to RZ.

Shazam!
12-04-2011, 05:43 PM
I hear ya man but I knew this would happen before the game even started.

The 4:00 game here was GB @ NYG.

Denver Native (Carol)
12-04-2011, 05:49 PM
I encourage everyone else affected to do the same. This was utterly ridiculous. Luckily, I have NFL Redzone, and only missed a play or two.

If your letter went to your local fox, you may want to fill out the following feedback form for the main foxsports.

http://msn.foxsports.com/feedback

NightTrainLayne
12-04-2011, 05:49 PM
I think it is NFL contractual rules that they switch. The letter should go to the NFL.

You could tell there was an onus in the final minutes to finally put the flags away and get that game over with.

I can recall countless times missing the first minutes/drives of Bronco games while an early, close game finished up. I don't think it's contractual.

As stated above, I understand showing the end of the early game. How do you justify leaving any game early when the decision is in the balance?

Nomad
12-04-2011, 05:53 PM
I can recall countless times missing the first minutes/drives of Bronco games while an early, close game finished up. I don't think it's contractual.

As stated above, I understand showing the end of the early game. How do you justify leaving any game early when the decision is in the balance?

I would say in your case the Cowboys are your regional team and takes priority regardless if the first game is finished or not.

BroncoJoe
12-04-2011, 06:07 PM
I never miss the beginning or end of Broncos games. :)

Mobile Post via http://Mobile.BroncosForums.com/forums

Denver Native (Carol)
12-04-2011, 06:08 PM
I would say in your case the Cowboys are your regional team and takes priority regardless if the first game is finished or not.

Not sure of that. When cbs4 has on an early game, when the Broncos are playing the late game, if the early game is not over, they wait until almost the last minute, and then say something about contractual agreement, and switch over just in time for kickoff. They do not switch over to cover all of the pregame, etc.

Bronco4ever
12-04-2011, 06:08 PM
There was no way that this game was going to get switched in my local area. In western South Dakota, I am in both Bronco and Vikings territory (roughly a 50-50 split, but there are also plenty of Packers and Bears fans).

It's pretty rough that some of you had your coverage change for the game, but just move out here to the beautiful Black Hills and you won't experience that problem!

Nomad
12-04-2011, 06:13 PM
Not sure of that. When cbs4 has on an early game, when the Broncos are playing the late game, if the early game is not over, they wait until almost the last minute, and then say something about contractual agreement, and switch over just in time for kickoff. They do not switch over to cover all of the pregame, etc.

I don't see where we disagreed, so NTL's local network switched a little early or perhaps the exact time the programming schedule had.

I'd call the local FOX and ask them what happen, if it bothered me that much.

Nomad
12-04-2011, 06:15 PM
There was no way that this game was going to get switched in my local area. In western South Dakota, I am in both Bronco and Vikings territory (roughly a 50-50 split, but there are also plenty of Packers and Bears fans).

It's pretty rough that some of you had your coverage change for the game, but just move out here to the beautiful Black Hills and you won't experience that problem!

My game didn't get switched in Alaska.

sneakers
12-04-2011, 06:16 PM
It was gay

MOtorboat
12-04-2011, 06:22 PM
I feel your pain, NTL, but the NFL has contracts to satisfy.

spikerman
12-04-2011, 06:27 PM
I love the Heidi reference. I wonder if they'll get it.

OrangeHoof
12-04-2011, 06:31 PM
My local Fox affiliates switched us away from the Houston-Atlanta game with Atlanta in Houston's red zone down by seven points with under a minute to play for the same Dallas-Arizona game.

IF you are in the home market of an NFL team and that team is scheduled to for a late PM start, the NFL obligates Fox to switch to that telecast.

The irony here is that if the NFL hadn't ordered the Denver-Minnesota game moved from CBS to FOX, none of this would have happened. CBS would have carried the game to 3:30 CT because it wasn't their week for the doubleheader game.

Bronco4ever
12-04-2011, 06:31 PM
My game didn't get switched in Alaska.

No Broncos games get switched here in South Dakota unless it's an absolute blow out. I didn't get the Jets-Broncos game, but that's only because my service provider sucks (I went to the bar and watched it). Not sure if you experienced that as a North Dakota resident, but it's absolutely great as a South Dakota resident to be a Broncos fan!

Nomad
12-04-2011, 06:35 PM
No Broncos games get switched here in South Dakota unless it's an absolute blow out. I didn't get the Jets-Broncos game, but that's only because my service provider sucks (I went to the bar and watched it). Not sure if you experienced that as a North Dakota resident, but it's absolutely great as a South Dakota resident to be a Broncos fan!

When we lived in Minot, they didn't even switch when the Raiders were blowing out the BRONCOS. Yeah, the BRONCOS are the AFC team there and at least 10 games are televised there. I'm quite surprised how many BRONCO games have been televised here in AK (BTW, we just moved here last March)

BroncoTech
12-04-2011, 06:48 PM
Ya I was pissed as well. I missed the interception and after frantically finding a stream watched the winning kick. It's stupid because it's like mentioned earlier, when they cut off the Broncos the screen went black for 30 seconds, then flipped to houston atlanta, then after break went into the local market niners pregame. They can switch at kick off, and not switch to some game as a mistake and leave all the dead air.

Now I got the niners and rams, 26-0.

Denver Native (Carol)
12-04-2011, 06:52 PM
I don't see where we disagreed, so NTL's local network switched a little early or perhaps the exact time the programming schedule had.

I'd call the local FOX and ask them what happen, if it bothered me that much.

Not disagreeing - just pointing out that the Broncos are my regional team, and they do not switch over to show pregame, etc. They switch over at the last minute.

dogfish
12-04-2011, 08:35 PM
NTL, if you see any class-action money in this, i want in!

jhildebrand
12-04-2011, 08:59 PM

They say: "Due to NFL contractual obligations we will soon be leaving this game and taking you to the ________ game."

It is the NFL that dictates what the station carries and how to switch over.

I agree with this. The NFL should never leave a game in progress to show talking heads talk. Also, with games being played much faster than season's past, why not just delay the start of a game 5 minutes. If it isn't resolved by then, then switch over.

tubby
12-04-2011, 10:26 PM
I never miss the beginning or end of Broncos games. :)

Unless you leave at halftime. :fart:

OrangeHoof
12-04-2011, 10:38 PM
It's a no-win situation. I' can remember back in the 1980s when the Broncos were often the second game of the doubleheader and we would miss half the first quarter waiting for some other game (or two) to finish. That's why they moved the doubleheader game back 15 minutes from what they used to do. I'm sure that's why the NFL has this policy - because they got too many complaints the other way.

BroncoJoe
12-04-2011, 11:05 PM
Unless you leave at halftime. :fart:

Nah. I'd make it home before the end.

Thnikkaman
12-04-2011, 11:08 PM
Well hopefully you'll get to see the whole thing again on NFL Replay. They better be showing this one and the GB vs. NYG game this week.

wayninja
12-04-2011, 11:15 PM
Well hopefully you'll get to see the whole thing again on NFL Replay. They better be showing this one and the GB vs. NYG game this week.

They are, showing it Tues night.

DenBronx
12-04-2011, 11:27 PM
Still pissed about them screwing with the finale of the game. One of the most exciting games down to the wire for a very crucial 1st place got cut off.

This game was flexed from CBS to Fox and most of the nation was watching.

Screw Fox!

Not John Fox though...

rcsodak
12-04-2011, 11:48 PM
Regional coverage trumps non-divisional games.
Its a pisser, but i'm sure we've all experienced it at one time or another.

sneakers
12-05-2011, 06:47 AM
Why don't they do split screen at least until the game is over???

TXBRONC
12-05-2011, 07:15 AM

Did the Denver game cut away to the Packers vs. the Giants? If it did I think that because that was Fox's marquee game of the week.

NightTrainLayne
12-05-2011, 12:06 PM
Did the Denver game cut away to the Packers vs. the Giants? If it did I think that because that was Fox's marquee game of the week.

No. It cut away to John Lynch, and whoever the play-by-play guy was in the booth for the Cowboys/Cardinals game as they talked about the match-up.

Then they threw it to a side-line interview with Jason Garrett after a long commercial break or maybe the side-line interview was before commercials.

Either way THERE WAS NO FOOTBALL ACTION BEING SHOWN AT ALL.

The only people missing seeing actual football being played were folks who had been watching the Denver/Minnesota game.

To add insult to injury, they didn't even mention how the game ended per friends of mine who were watching. . .if you wanted to know how the game ended you would have had to find out via other sources.

CoachChaz
12-05-2011, 12:56 PM
I had Falcons/Texans to begin with...so I neither saw nor missed anything.

As usual

slim
12-05-2011, 01:12 PM
I feel your pain, NTL, but the NFL has contracts to satisfy.

Not in OK.

I got screwed because they switched to the Dal v AZ game, which I could understand, since I live in AZ...but they still should have waited until the AZ game was ready to kick off.

MOtorboat
12-05-2011, 01:50 PM
Not in OK.

I got screwed because they switched to the Dal v AZ game, which I could understand, since I live in AZ...but they still should have waited until the AZ game was ready to kick off.

You'd be surprised. There are parts of South Dakota, Utah, New Mexico, Kansas, Nebraska, Montana and all of Wyoming that are considered Broncos territory, and they would switch to a Broncos game, leaving another early game.

NightTrainLayne
12-05-2011, 03:04 PM
You'd be surprised. There are parts of South Dakota, Utah, New Mexico, Kansas, Nebraska, Montana and all of Wyoming that are considered Broncos territory, and they would switch to a Broncos game, leaving another early game.

I grew up in one of these areas in Western Kansas. ..hardly ever did we not have the Broncos game televised.

However, I can remember countless times missing the beginning of the Broncos game while the end of the early games played out, especially close games.

BigDaddyBronco
12-05-2011, 03:10 PM

What is weird for me is that I got the whole game (feed is out of Albuquerque), but when a game is on CBS for the late game, they always finish the 1st game (sometimes even after switching to a more competitive game first) before they start the Broncos game. I miss about 5 minutes a game about half the time. So on Fox I guess we are 100% in the Denver territory, but on CBS it's something less.

Then to top it all off, the game is blacked out on Sunday ticket since we are in Denver territory, so if I miss the first 5 minutes because of the early game, I can't switch it to Sunday ticket to watch. That pisses me off.

Dapper Dan
12-05-2011, 03:28 PM
I compare it to watching a 3 hour movie and missing the last 10-15 minutes. It's really irritating. I didn't even really get as excited after the game. A text from a friend saying what happened isn't nearly as satisfying as being able to see it. I'm sure glad it's on replay so I can watch it again. And this time see the ending with it. I'm really sick of business constantly taking about from customer satisfaction.

Chef Zambini
12-05-2011, 03:33 PM
I just tuned in to watch HEIDI and they showed me a raiders game instead.

Chef Zambini
12-05-2011, 03:36 PM
LAME fox.
Lame NFL policy!
Shame on both for being more concerned about getting in their block of commercials and thats what this is REALLY all about !
want to make an impact?
voice your displeasure with the commercial clients !
the local affiliates go automatic to their re3gional game to avoid getting hit by thousands of phone calls!

Chef Zambini
12-05-2011, 03:39 PM
thanks to TEBOW, the entire globe is bronco territory!

Chef Zambini
12-05-2011, 03:42 PM
Not in OK.

I got screwed because they switched to the Dal v AZ game, which I could understand, since I live in AZ...but they still should have waited until the AZ game was ready to kick off.yep thats how it went down in scottsdale, AZ. but as soon as it happened i switched back to my NFL PASS channel where the bronco game was blacked out, and it was now on for me to watch the end of the game.
NFL TICKET, just like TEBOW, a gift from god almighty.

Denver Native (Carol)
12-05-2011, 03:45 PM

I think it will be shown tomorrow

slim
12-05-2011, 03:47 PM
yep thats how it went down in scottsdale, AZ. but as soon as it happened i switched back to my NFL PASS channel where the bronco game was blacked out, and it was now on for me to watch the end of the game.
NFL TICKET, just like TEBOW, a gift from god almighty.

I would have too, but I wasn't at home. I couldn't watch the game live, so I recorded it and stayed up effing late to watch it.

Effing sucked to miss the ending.

Buff
12-05-2011, 03:55 PM
This thread kind of reminds me of the guy who needs TV channels' thread.

NTL, did you have your letter delivered via Pony Express?

NightTrainLayne
12-05-2011, 03:59 PM

Yes, and I sent it postage due!

Chef Zambini
12-05-2011, 04:05 PM
I would have too, but I wasn't at home. I couldn't watch the game live, so I recorded it and stayed up effing late to watch it.

Effing sucked to miss the ending.that would absolutly SUCK, to come home to a recorded game,
exclude yourself from all football to avoid over-hearing results,
turn on the game, get your meal on, procure your beverage of choice and then suddenly in the still of the night be ROBBED of the eventual football orgasim that is a late game, heroic bronco victory!
I think you have grounds for a law suit!

Chef Zambini
12-05-2011, 04:07 PM
I think it will be shown tomorrowconfirmed on NFL replay !

slim
12-05-2011, 04:15 PM
that would absolutly SUCK, to come home to a recorded game,
exclude yourself from all football to avoid over-hearing results,
turn on the game, get your meal on, procure your beverage of choice and then suddenly in the still of the night be ROBBED of the eventual football orgasim that is a late game, heroic bronco victory!
I think you have grounds for a law suit!

Exactly. I was reduced to looking up the final score online....not very exciting.

I mean, I could have done that in the afternoon and actually got some sleep last night.

Dapper Dan
12-05-2011, 04:15 PM
I emailed them. I was excited at the fast reply. Too bad it's an autoreply.

"Thank you for taking the times to contact us regarding content aired on FOX or our affiliates. We do our best to address the questions and concerns of our viewers. However, the high volume of inquiries means that although we read all messages, we may not be able to respond to you directly.

Sincerely,

The FOXSports.com Support team"

Summary.
**** you. We got other shit to do.

Nomad
12-05-2011, 04:19 PM

Effing sucked to miss the ending.

I'm gonna do what clay did and invest into a PS3 and get the Sunday Ticket next year. Right now's a good time to buy because I can tell the wife it's for the kids until next football season rolls around then they better not touch it :D I've lost the battle trying to get Directv back.

dogfish
12-05-2011, 04:19 PM

i hope NTL kicks your ass at the tailgate for disrespecting him like this. . . .

Chef Zambini
12-05-2011, 04:22 PM
Exactly. I was reduced to looking up the final score online....not very exciting.

I mean, I could have done that in the afternoon and actually got some sleep last night.I feel for you buddy. had I been working, that would have been me and today I would be shopping for a new big screen TV.

Chef Zambini
12-05-2011, 04:24 PM
I'm gonna do what clay did and invest into a PS3 and get the Sunday Ticket next year. Right now's a good time to buy because I can tell the wife it's for the kids until next football season rolls around then they better not touch it :D I've lost the battle trying to get Directv back.My sympathies.
you did say "kids' as in plural.
cant you sell one of them?

Nomad
12-05-2011, 04:34 PM
My sympathies.
you did say "kids' as in plural.
cant you sell one of them?

Free labor ie shoveling the driveway, cutting grass etc so I can watch my football.:D

arapaho2
12-05-2011, 06:52 PM
i dont know about contratual obligations

but here in wyo...i have missed numerous opening minutes of late bronco games...because they refuse to switch...even if its a blowout on the first game....what worse is if the game is a blowout and they switch you to another game that is close...then have to watch the freaking overtime of a game thats not even supposed to be televised in our area

while the bronco game has already started

freakin pisses me off:mad:

OrangeHoof
12-05-2011, 07:20 PM
Would you feel better if it had read:

"Thank you for taking the times to contact us regarding content aired on FOX or our affiliates. Do you have any idea how difficult it is to find competent television engineers willing to work on Sundays? Most are too busy watching the NFL to pay attention to switching broadcasts at the right time.

We do our best to address the questions and concerns of our viewers. We apologize for any inconvenience. And since you bitched about this particular game, the engineer in question took it personally and blew his brains out at halftime of the Cowboys game. Happy now, jerk?

Sincerely,

The FOXSports.com Support team"

Dapper Dan
12-05-2011, 07:28 PM

OMG YES! Is that what they sent you? Lucky ass!

wayninja
12-06-2011, 01:09 AM

NOOOOO!!!! He was only 2 productions away from retirement!!!!