PDA

View Full Version : Assessment of the Vikings game

kenoy28
12-04-2011, 04:45 PM
I'm glad we won. I'm glad everyone is super excited. But we have to regonize...we played an awful team. One of the worst secondaries in the NFL. Tebow had another atrocious first half, but played well the second half. Again though, it was against a secondary that is god awful. I do think Tebow needed this...a good game throwing the ball, and an improvement on his performance on third down. He still has a lot of work to do, but he did make progress today.

Defensively, I'm really disappointed. We could not stop the run or the pass. I had no idea that Von Miller was that important to our defense. And I'm really hoping that was the reason we let them march up and down the field the way they did.

All that being said, the next two weeks are going to actually show us what this team is about. I have mixed feelings about Cutler not playing...it would have been really fun to play him. But him being out gives us a much better chance. As for NE...well that is the real test.

Be glad we won. But if we are going to be a playoff team, we need to beat teams like that by 2 TDs

BroncoJoe
12-04-2011, 04:47 PM
Early game on the road. I'll take it.

Mobile Post via http://Mobile.BroncosForums.com/forums

chazoe60
12-04-2011, 04:48 PM
Can you atleast wait til Monday morning to start pissing on our wheaties?

hotcarl
12-04-2011, 04:49 PM
we are the best team ever

nevcraw
12-04-2011, 04:50 PM
one step closer to the playoffs
first 5 wins on the road since elway
tied for the division lead
galvanized team..

I'll take it.. there is no need to temper any enthusiasm when this team was on the suck for luck train not too long ago..

silkamilkamonico
12-04-2011, 04:52 PM
Total change of momentum the second half. The defense was gassed the second half and played like it. The offense was fresh the second half and played like it. The offense was dynamic, potent, and explosive, and Mike McCoy needs to take this blueprint, and continue it at the start of next week.

If you claim to be an evolving, constantly changing offense, that quit starting the games out with the exact same gameplan. It clearly does not work.

karnage
12-04-2011, 04:53 PM
I'm glad we won. I'm glad everyone is super excited. But we have to regonize...we played an awful team. One of the worst secondaries in the NFL. Tebow had another atrocious first half, but played well the second half. Again though, it was against a secondary that is god awful. I do think Tebow needed this...a good game throwing the ball, and an improvement on his performance on third down. He still has a lot of work to do, but he did make progress today.

Defensively, I'm really disappointed. We could not stop the run or the pass. I had no idea that Von Miller was that important to our defense. And I'm really hoping that was the reason we let them march up and down the field the way they did.

All that being said, the next two weeks are going to actually show us what this team is about. I have mixed feelings about Cutler not playing...it would have been really fun to play him. But him being out gives us a much better chance. As for NE...well that is the real test.

Be glad we won. But if we are going to be a playoff team, we need to beat teams like that by 2 TDs

Man you're brilliant....Denver who has won 5 straight and leading the division....has 0 shot at being a playoff team since they only won this game by 3....NE only beat the Colts by 7 they aren't playoff worthy either...thanks for breaking down what I should have seen and explaining it to me....

broncobryce
12-04-2011, 04:53 PM

Von Miller makes a huge difference. Enjoy the win man.

SmilinAssasSin27
12-04-2011, 04:54 PM
win is a win...none are easy...we historically suck indoors...i had a bad feeling about this one all week. We won. just enjoy it. 1st place.

Northman
12-04-2011, 04:55 PM
Patriots almost let the Colts come back and beat them. A win is a win no matter the opponent.

sneakers
12-04-2011, 04:55 PM
The patriots only beat the colts by 7...

MileHiWildcat
12-04-2011, 04:56 PM

Blah Blah Blah Blah

Fullback32
12-04-2011, 05:04 PM
This is the best throwing I've seen Tebow do to date. 10/15 for 202. A TWO as the first digit and over 50%. As critical as I have been, I have to admit he is improving. I get the poor Vikings secondary, but given that he threw well against them is a good sign. That is what a QB is supposed to do against a poor secondary. Though dropped, the pass that would have given the TD in the last 2:00 was well-thrown considering the pressure and good coverage. TT is getting better for sure. I'm still not totally sold, but I cant argue with wins.

The defense could have played better, but Elvis played well and they took advantage of mistakes. Von was missed for sure.

Enjoyed the win.

catfish
12-04-2011, 05:04 PM
define atrocious first half....do you mean because of the fumble? wasn't he 4/5 going into the half?

catfish
12-04-2011, 05:05 PM
This is the best throwing I've seen Tebow do to date. 10/15 for 202. A TWO as the first digit and over 50%. As critical as I have been, I have to admit he is improving. I get the poor Vikings secondary, but given that he threw well against them is a good sign. Though a dropped, the pass that would have given the TD in the last 2:00 was well-thrown considering the pressure and good coverage. TT is getting better for sure.

The defense could have played better, but Elvis played well and they took advantage of mistakes. Von was missed for sure.

Enjoyed the win.

also 13.5 yds/att is ridiculous

I Eat Staples
12-04-2011, 05:06 PM
Tebow didn't play awful in the first half, he barely threw the ball. We started letting him throw the ball in the 2nd half and he looked great. Every throw was on the money. The pass to DT in the endzone at the end was a great throw, just well defended. The incompletion to DT on the sidelines was on DT, he has to drag those toes. The incompletion to Decker was low and slightly behind him, but still should have been caught.

Our defense did suck though. Fortunately we got some key turnovers but yeah, Miller IS that important to our defense. We look like last year's unit without him. We started out great but then made Ponder look like a super star. We had NO pass rush in the 2nd half.

But hey, our defense has been carrying our offense so it's only fair our offense returns the favor for a game.

silkamilkamonico
12-04-2011, 05:06 PM
define atrocious first half....do you mean because of the fumble? wasn't he 4/5 going into the half?

The entire offense had 1 First down the entire first half. I'm not sure if the comment was Tebow was atrocious, or the offense was atrocious, but both are right.

catfish
12-04-2011, 05:10 PM
The entire offense had 1 First down the entire first half. I'm not sure if the comment was Tebow was atrocious, or the offense was atrocious, but both are right.

the comment was Tebow had an atrocious first half...he threw 5 passes and had 1 run. The offense may have sucked in the first half, and the Tebow fumble was bad, but to say Tebow had an atrocious 1st half is disengenous

silkamilkamonico
12-04-2011, 05:13 PM
the comment was Tebow had an atrocious first half...he threw 5 passes and had 1 run. The offense may have sucked in the first half, and the Tebow fumble was bad, but to say Tebow had an atrocious 1st half is disengenous

Tebow runs the offense, it was atrocisou, I will fully put Tebow to blame for that. just like a reward him when he plays like he does in the second half today and leads Denver to victorious.

It is what it is. Tebow fans are so protective of him they can't even admit when he plays bad. Whether it was him, the oline, or McCoy, he's the one that's behind center.

It's the exact reason why your seeing Tebowmania everywhere on ESPN and how he;s leading Denver to the playoffs.

BroncoJoe
12-04-2011, 05:15 PM
Problem is he didn't play bad today.

Mobile Post via http://Mobile.BroncosForums.com/forums

threefolddead
Tebow runs the offense, it was atrocisou, I will fully put Tebow to blame for that. just like a reward him when he plays like he does in the second half today and leads Denver to victorious.

It is what it is. Tebow fans are so protective of him they can't even admit when he plays bad. Whether it was him, the oline, or McCoy, he's the one that's behind center.

It's the exact reason why your seeing Tebowmania everywhere on ESPN and how he;s leading Denver to the playoffs.

He may run it but he doesn't call the plays. There is blame to go around all over the offense and Tebow didn't have a chance to be atrocious in the first.

aberdien
Shit not given, Tebow bailed out the defense like they've been bailing him out. That's cause for celebration.

catfish
12-04-2011, 05:16 PM

you are absolutely right he needs to hand that ball off better so McGahee doesnt get hit in the endzone on the first play, he also need to recover the fumble when mcgahee drops it, also he missed a pass...sure he was at 80% for the first half, but he did miss one. he needs to call less draw plays that lead to 3 and out with 3 runs in a row...all around he pretty much sucks

Thnikkaman
12-04-2011, 05:19 PM

Man you're brilliant....Denver who has won 5 straight and leading the division....has 0 shot at being a playoff team since they only won this game by 3....NE only beat the Colts by 7 they aren't playoff worthy either...thanks for breaking down what I should have seen and explaining it to me....

posts like these make me wish I could salute it from the moble app

catfish
12-04-2011, 05:19 PM
in that line of thought Champ Bailey sucks because Goodman was getting abused all night...after all he was on the field. That doesn't make any sense

kenoy28
12-04-2011, 05:22 PM
haha, wow...didn't expect responses like that. I'm happy we won and I'm enjoying it. I never said we have zero shot at making the playoffs. All I mean is that if we are going to be a playoff team, the next two weeks are huge. I'm excited to see how we perform against the Bears and the Pats.

Go Broncs!

silkamilkamonico
12-04-2011, 05:23 PM
you are absolutely right he needs to hand that ball off better so McGahee doesnt get hit in the endzone on the first play, he also need to recover the fumble when mcgahee drops it, also he missed a pass...sure he was at 80% for the first half, but he did miss one. he needs to call less draw plays that lead to 3 and out with 3 runs in a row...all around he pretty much sucks

Considering your a biased supporter who continues to hold Tebow's hand in light of his struggling situations, I am just going to go ahead and render your argument void. I wouldn't be surprised if you though Tebow was the saving face of Denver being down 15-7 at half and not 30-7 because of his ability to "will" his teammates.

kenoy28
12-04-2011, 05:23 PM
And Tebow played great today, not trying to take anything away from him. Still has a lot more to prove to me before I'm comfortable claiming him as our QB of the future. But I'm GLAD he's our QB of the present. He is ballin and willing us to wins

MileHiWildcat
12-04-2011, 05:25 PM
And Tebow played great today, not trying to take anything away from him. Still has a lot more to prove to me before I'm comfortable claiming him as our QB of the future. But I'm GLAD he's our QB of the present. He is ballin and willing us to wins

You cannot be for real. Take off your hatin' blinders.

silkamilkamonico
12-04-2011, 05:25 PM
in that line of thought Champ Bailey sucks because Goodman was getting abused all night...after all he was on the field. That doesn't make any sense

Champ Bailey should be covering the other teams best player, not the backup QB. I am sure you're going to argue next that if it wasn't for Tim Tebow's positive mental telepathy, Andre Goodman wouldn't have intercepted the ball that basically won Denver the game.

MileHiWildcat
12-04-2011, 05:26 PM
Considering your a biased supporter who continues to hold Tebow's hand in light of his struggling situations, I am just going to go ahead and render your argument void. I wouldn't be surprised if you though Tebow was the saving face of Denver being down 15-7 at half and not 30-7 because of his ability to "will" his teammates.

I saw no "Struggling" by Tebow today. Although he continues to be halmstrung by 1st half game plans that suck ass. McCoy is still pretty mediocre at game planning for the start of games.

Skacorica
It helped that the vikings secondary effectively ignored dt. Hopefully this crap about tt misses open receivers will stop.

vettesplus
The patriots only beat the colts by 7...

how do you get up for a 0-11 team... ?:confused:

BORDERLINE
12-04-2011, 05:28 PM
WOW enjoy the win my man.

Why do some people get so entrenched in the negatives so early. Enjoy the win digest the chips and pass the beer. Tomorrow we'll talk about the rest

catfish
12-04-2011, 05:29 PM
haha, wow...didn't expect responses like that. I'm happy we won and I'm enjoying it. I never said we have zero shot at making the playoffs. All I mean is that if we are going to be a playoff team, the next two weeks are huge. I'm excited to see how we perform against the Bears and the Pats.

Go Broncs!

Didn't mean to tee off on you, I just get tired of all the Tebow bashing. It seems like any time there is a bad series of play people want to put it all on the QB, but when the team wins it is"well McGahee played lights out, or Decker made some great plays." I don't mind saying the Offense looked like crap the first half, that is a true statement. I don't think Tebow had much to do with how the offense was doing in the first half, except for the turnover and these days 1 turnover by a qb in a game is not a rarity, as he didn't really participate except to throw it 5 times completing 4. You want to get all over someone...look at the line and the RB's. All in all it comes out in the wash because it was a win.

Northman
12-04-2011, 05:29 PM
People still need to remember that Tebow is young. Just like Ponder is young and made some mistakes. But its easy to see today that Tebow looked much better passing the ball than he did when he first took over the reigns. I think we have a great shot at beating the Bears and we do get NE at home. But right now McCoy and company come out with a gameplan and then make their adjustments accordingly. Our biggest problem today was putting the ball on the ground, something that we hadnt done a lot of the last couple of weeks but we still found a way to win and thats what is important.

Northman
12-04-2011, 05:30 PM
how do you get up for a 0-11 team... ?:confused:

Homefield advantage.

silkamilkamonico
12-04-2011, 05:30 PM
I saw no "Struggling" by Tebow today. Although he continues to be halmstrung by 1st half game plans that suck ass. McCoy is still pretty mediocre at game planning for the start of games.

I agree, although Tebow doesn't help the situation by becoming Matt Lienart in the first half. They need to find a way to play with a sense of urgency all the time, because Tebow literally transforms from Matt Lienart/Mike McMahan mix to a John Elway/Mike Vick hyrbid, and I am not even kidding in the least.

Some guys just zone in and play their best when something's on the line, and Tebow certainly does that and then some.

catfish
12-04-2011, 05:32 PM

actually I posted stats, you spit out some waterheaded statement based on your opinion that I am now supposed to bow down and worship as fact. All I want is for you to post the plays that Tebow affected in the First half that justify the statement that he was atrocious, as what I saw was a run game getting stuffed play after play where Tebow's contribution was handing it off to a RB and looking on as he got knocked down 2 yards downfield...so again post some ******* stats

silkamilkamonico
12-04-2011, 05:33 PM
I wish they would let Tebow no huddle. I am honestly curious if the feeling of him being rushed (to a degree) from having to get the play in, to tell his teammates on the fly, to reading, and then snapping might energize the offense a little and keep the defense more on their toes.

MileHiWildcat
12-04-2011, 05:34 PM
I agree, although Tebow doesn't help the situation by becoming Matt Lienart in the first half. They need to find a way to play with a sense of urgency all the time, because Tebow literally transforms from Matt Lienart/Mike McMahan mix to a John Elway/Mike Vick hyrbid, and I am not even kidding in the least.

Some guys just zone in and play their best when something's on the line, and Tebow certainly does that and then some.

Huh ? He threw like 4 or 5 passes in the 1st half and you break out a Leinert reference ?

jhildebrand
12-04-2011, 05:35 PM
Miller is that important.

I was questioning not throwing it earlier in the game.

The flip side to all of this is Fox, Allen, and McCoy can make some mean adjustments.

The O line who hasn't needed to pass block in some time did a fine job today. Jared Allen is pretty decent if you know what I mean.

Tebow in a 2 back, more traditional offense looked pretty good.

This was an 11 AM game on the road. There is a lot to like. As the wins keep coming you can see the confidence growing.

gregbroncs
12-04-2011, 05:35 PM
. The incompletion to DT on the sidelines was on DT, he has to drag those toes. . You can't put that all on Thomas. If it was a better throw he has an easy catch. Thomas made a great play even catching that ball. You are correct he needs to get his feet down but Tebow could have made that a lot easier.

catfish
12-04-2011, 05:36 PM
You can't put that all on Thomas. If it was a better throw he has an easy catch. Thomas made a great play even catching that ball. You are correct he needs to get his feet down but Tebow could have made that a lot easier.

agreed and there are plays like that every week in the NFL, would have been a great catch but definately not a 100% catch

Shazam!
12-04-2011, 05:36 PM
Oh Please.

Denver was without it's best pass rusher.

Say what you will about Minny's defensive backfield, but their DLine is actually their strength.

Defense was exhausted going into the 2nd half and still hung in there.

Offense was a disaster in the 1st half but explosive in the 2nd.

Tebow has clearly made healthy progress as a passer.

With the Raiders takin' it in the ass in Miami, I don't give a !@#$ HOW they won it.

Denver is in first place and Tebow is here to stay.

Live with it.

jhildebrand
12-04-2011, 05:37 PM
By the way, Ponder has a nice drop back, footwork, mechanics, but was careless with the ball in two critical moments.

I will take Tebow and his 'issues' so long as he is careful with it when throwing.

Northman
12-04-2011, 05:37 PM
agreed and there are plays like that every week in the NFL, would have been a great catch but definately not a 100% catch

Yea, i was going to say there is no such thing as a perfect pass every single time. Sometimes the receiver has to make a play.

silkamilkamonico
12-04-2011, 05:39 PM
actually I posted stats, you spit out some waterheaded statement based on your opinion that I am now supposed to bow down and worship as fact. All I want is for you to post the plays that Tebow affected in the First half that justify the statement that he was atrocious, as what I saw was a run game getting stuffed play after play where Tebow's contribution was handing it off to a RB and looking on as he got knocked down 2 yards downfield...so again post some ******* stats

Where are your stats? His 4/5 passing, along with 2 sacks, 1 fumble, and 1 paltry first down the entire first half?

Let me guess. You are going to argue the rest of the offense was atrocious, but not your beloved Tebow?

2 sacks for minus 15 yards, and a fumble that lead directly to a FG.

But I know, "it was everybody else".

Nomad
12-04-2011, 05:39 PM
Yea, i was going to say there is no such thing as a perfect pass every single time. Sometimes the receiver has to make a play.

Billick said it was an excellent pass considering the coverage. Receiver has to make the adjustment

DenBronx
12-04-2011, 05:41 PM

We put up 35 points and won through the air and ground.

At least that's what I learned from watching the game today.

silkamilkamonico
Tebow made some excellent passes today. His pass late in the game on the all out blitz to D Thomas was absolutely PERFECT. The DB just made a good play.

MileHiWildcat
Where are your stats? His 4/5 passing, along with 2 sacks, 1 fumble, and 1 paltry first down the entire first half?

Let me guess. You are going to argue the rest of the offense was atrocious, but not your beloved Tebow?

Guess we all missed the part where the sacks were the QBs fault.

Joel
12-04-2011, 05:42 PM

Generally, I'm inclined to agree with that final assessment. However, NFL teams play at such an elite level the relatively small differences in relative talent levels is often obscured by how effectively good teams capitalize on it. NFL teams seize even slight advantages like a dog with a bone, relentlessly grinding opponents into the turf, but a team like that beating another 40-20 doesn't make it twice as good. In a lot of ways, a 7-5 team beating a 2-10 team by a last second FG is more representative of the League than was our drubbing by the Packers (who incidentally beat the Chargers by only a FG and the Bucs by only 9, despite being vastly better than both.)

Good teams find ways to win and bad teams to lose close games, which could explains much of our season. All but two of our games (Detroit and GB) have been VERY close, but our current good team manufactures ways to be on the right side of those slim victory margins as consistently as the bad team that started the year manufactured ways to be on the wrong side of them. Good/bad teams create a lot of their own good/bad luck, too, but the law of averages means genuinely lucky plays even out in the end, so it's actually NOT better to be lucky than good, and it's always best to be both. To a great extent it really is true that only the W matters, because more often than not a bad team with many lucky breaks against a good one ends up letting it slip away (or their opponent ends up pulling off the comeback, depending how you want to view it.)

So, yeah, it wasn't the prettiest win, and I would've liked to blow the Vikings out and make a statement but, really, how badly must you beat a bad team before it ceases to be underwhelming? There were plenty of things we could've done better and shouldn't have done at all, but more good things we did well, so we won.

Tebows PR was 153.75; I know the Vikings secondary is crap, but how much better must his rating be for that to be a great day against any secondary? The League caps PR at 158.3 (Tebows was actually higher than that until Demaryius Thomas had a long TD pass off his fingertips.) His first half wasn't too bad at all; about the only thing he did badly in the whole game (and it was pretty bad, I admit) was the fluke fumble when he was being sacked, reflexively caught himself with his throwing arm and had the ball knocked out by the ground. We can't fault him for conservative play calling at our goal line or McGahees fumble that both gave Minnesota great field position. McCoy seems to finally be recognizing putting Tebow back to pass in the pocket isn't throwing away the down, and Tebow went a long way toward justifying that confidence today.

The defence didn't play well in the second half, no, but we've been leaving them on the field all season, and the first half today was no different: They were missing probably their best player and gassed in the second half. The offense started scoring in the second half, but one of its TD drives was a single play and another way only 2; no complaints against the offense for scoring, but the fact remains that doesn't give the D any time to catch its breath. They made stops when it counted, especially in the fourth quarter, and that's all I ask of them. The biggest fly in the ointment is probably Aromashodu humiliating Goodman to the point Champ had to start splitting time between him and Shiancoe in addition to worrying about Harvin, and that will almost certainly be addressed in the off season.

I think this is a legit playoff team; unless we blow what should be a win in Buffalo or hosting KC, the Dolphins beating Chokeland basically gives us the Division: GB and Detroit will stomp them, and us beating KC in Denver gives us the better Division record if we finish even. If we beat the Bears or the Raiders blow another one against KC or SD, they have NO chance. They would basically be in the same situation we were McDumbass' first year: After roaring out to a great start and looking like they would cruise to the Division title, they won't even make the playoffs. Oh, well....

I don't expect our current team to go deep in the playoffs (Brady would rip Goodman apart,) but I do think we belong there. If I'm right, we'll keep winning games we should and make it; if not, not.

jhildebrand
12-04-2011, 05:42 PM

You wouldn't argue Tebow was at fault for the ball being placed at the 1 would you? You can't argue McGahee's fumble in the first was Tebow's fault. Both of those took TOP from the O.

I dont get the bickering when this team did something so many said it can't-win with O in a shootout/passing type game.

spikerman
12-04-2011, 05:44 PM
Tebow made some excellent passes today. His pass late in the game on the all out blitz to D Thomas was absolutely PERFECT. The DB just made a good play.

I think that he hits Thomas in stride if Thomas doesn't stop and restart.

HORSEPOWER 56
12-04-2011, 05:45 PM
Patriots almost let the Colts come back and beat them. A win is a win no matter the opponent.

Absolutely! Every team is a bunch of PAID PROFESSIONALS. Players, coaches, etc. They're all professionals. It makes no sense to focus on why we almost lost or didn't look pretty beating a bad team. Minnesota has nothing to lose. They have been playing a lot of teams tough and their front seven is very good.

Every team in this league (except Green Bay) has lost at least one game they shouldn't have to a lesser opponent. How about the Saints losing to St Louis a couple of weeks ago? How about Atlanta losing to Houston with their 3rd string QB today?

Every team presents its own challenge. I'm glad we won. I'm tired of trying to second guess all the losses we've had the last few years, I sure as shit won't second guess a win!

silkamilkamonico
12-04-2011, 05:45 PM

I agree. I knew that the QB has to get rid of the ball in 6th grade Pop Warner.

gregbroncs
12-04-2011, 05:46 PM

I agree with this on the last pass. Thomas made that play much more difficult with the stop/restart.

silkamilkamonico
12-04-2011, 05:48 PM
You wouldn't argue Tebow was at fault for the ball being placed at the 1 would you? You can't argue McGahee's fumble in the first was Tebow's fault. Both of those took TOP from the O.

I dont get the bickering when this team did something so many said it can't-win with O in a shootout/passing type game.

No the kick was a luck special teams play and not much McGahee could be done. Like I said, the entire offense was terrible. Not just the entire offense - Tim Tebow.

The biggest positive of today was the defense took some strides back throughout the game, and the offense carried them. If Denver can find a way to play offense in the first half, this team would be a legitimate SuperBowl contender in the NFL. The defense is already formidable enough.

Locnar
12-04-2011, 05:51 PM
Our first half offense is so disgustingly predictable. You can't fault Tebow for that. He didn't even throw the ball that much. His fumble was suspect, I think his knee was touching as the ball came loose, but whatever the refs were stupid most of the game. We should have started the game the way we did in second half. Let Tim make plays from the pocket, to open the lanes up more for McGahee.

And our defense was despicable, other than the first quarter. It really shows how much of an asset Miller is to us. Without him in the pass rush, qb's are going to pick Goodman apart, especially on slant routes. And that's what I fear Brady will do against us..

All in all I couldn't be happier with the play from our qb. I saw shades of that Texans game last year that kind of sold me on him. You can tell he works harder than anybody else in the league, because his progression in the last 3 weeks has been really good. I think he's put the jitters behind him, and he's ready to slang the rock around the yard with a lot better precision.

Week by week I get more and more excited to see him get better. I love being a Bronco fan right now. :salute:

BroncoStud
12-04-2011, 05:53 PM
I don't think the OP watched the game, probably just checked the statline and saw highlights. I thought this looked more like an "Elway" team than I have seen since John retired. Making plays when they HAD to be made. I'll take that all day long.

Tebow played damn near flawlessly today and the Vikings had no answer for him when McCoy was forced to open up the playbook.

HORSEPOWER 56
12-04-2011, 05:54 PM
No the kick was a luck special teams play and not much McGahee could be done. Like I said, the entire offense was terrible. Not just the entire offense - Tim Tebow.

The biggest positive of today was the defense took some strides back throughout the game, and the offense carried them. If Denver can find a way to play offense in the first half, this team would be a legitimate SuperBowl contender in the NFL. The defense is already formidable enough.

Silky, you can take the bag off now, we're 7-5 and tied for first in the division. We have a young team who makes mistakes but never quits. We have a team that competes for 60 minutes. We have a team that is doing well compensating for a lack of talent and experience by leaving it all on the field. We have a team that is full of high character/work hard guys. We finally have a team we can be proud of. Take off the bag and get your ass back on the wagon.

There's still plenty of room, I'll save you a seat...

Fullback32
So, yeah, it wasn't the prettiest win, and I would've liked to blow the Vikings out and make a statement but, really, how badly must you beat a bad team before it ceases to be underwhelming? There were plenty of things we could've done better and shouldn't have done at all, but more good things we did well, so we won.

Agreed. This team isn't ready to blow anyone out, though had Von played, I do wonder if the core would have been as close. As we have seen so far, ball control offense and good defense have yielded close games. Until the passing game improves significantly more (and it does get better every week), we can expect close games for the rest of the season.

Joel
He's learning what Tebow can do at least as much as Tebow is; it's getting better as Tebow increasingly justifies confidence in his passing. I also can't blame McCoy for wanting to stick with the ground game that's winning games (especially since that's what his boss wants; if he starts creating turnovers that put our Ds back to the goal line, Fox will NOT be happy.) However, he must realize a lot of the reason that's winning games is that the defence makes it possible, and they can't always provide that luxury.

It helped that the vikings secondary effectively ignored dt. Hopefully this crap about tt misses open receivers will stop.
Bit your tongue; the more people believe that the more our (subpar) receivers will be left wide open for easy TDs. Of course, if teams DO start covering our WRs more they won't be able to stack eight in the box to stop McGahee and Tebow rushing. Hello, balanced offense. ;)

silkamilkamonico
12-04-2011, 05:55 PM
Silky, you can take the bag off now, we're 7-5 and tied for first in the division. We have a young team who makes mistakes but never quits. We have a team that competes for 60 minutes. We have a team that is doing well compensating for a lack of talent and experience by leaving it all on the field. We have a team that is full of high character/work hard guys. We finally have a team we can be proud of. Take off the back and get your ass back on the wagon.

There's still plenty of room, I'll save you a seat...

I completely agree! I have been thinking about it for a couple weeks now.

MileHiWildcat
12-04-2011, 05:57 PM

Play in traffic, please.

catfish
12-04-2011, 05:57 PM

I don't think he played well, but atrocious? If he was 1 of 5 with the sacks and the fumble that would be attrocious, I think he actually ended up 4 of 6

the broncos had 7 drives in the first half

1st drive

1 play - safety

2nd drive

3 runs

3rd drive

1 play mcgahee fumble

4th drive

3 runs/end of qtr

5th drive

penalty starts at 1st an 15

4 yd run mcgahee

7 yd run - Tebow

6 yd pass - 1st down

4 yd run mcgahee

2 yd run larsen

penalty makes it 3rd and nine, 11 yd pass overturned DT OOB

6th drive

1 yd run

-10 yd sack

9 yd pass

7th drive

8 yd pass

fumble leading to points

from the play by play it appears Tebow had 2 bad plays the first half...not what I would call atrocious

Nomad
12-04-2011, 05:58 PM
Play in traffic, please.

spiker's a respectable guy....no need for this^^^

Northman
12-04-2011, 06:00 PM
spiker's a respectable guy....no need for this^^^

Agreed.

catfish
12-04-2011, 06:02 PM

the second one definatley was, I didn't see the first...it was a poor decision and horrible ball protection by Tebow

spikerman
12-04-2011, 06:21 PM
Play in traffic, please.

:confused: I'm sorry, did he not ease up and have to try to catch up again? Maybe my tv just hiccuped. I'm not a Tebow "homer" I just call 'em like I see 'em.

CoachChaz
12-04-2011, 06:32 PM
This game reinforces 2 things to me. Tebow earned more time...and we need to draft and sign more defensive help

wayninja
12-04-2011, 06:36 PM
This game reinforces 2 things to me. Tebow earned more time...and we need to draft and sign more defensive help

Agreed, other than a few mistakes by Ponder, Harvin chewed up our secondary today, it was downright embarrassing. Gearheart also rammed it down our throats.

We had a lot of hits pressure on Ponder in the first half and almost nothing in the second. I wonder how much of this is the D being gassed, adjustments and missing Von. Hard to say.

BroncoTech
12-04-2011, 07:13 PM
I agree. I knew that the QB has to get rid of the ball in 6th grade Pop Warner.

It's better to remain silent and be thought of as a fool than speak up and remove any doubt.

BroncoStud
12-04-2011, 07:20 PM
Lmao, unnecessary retort.

aberdien
12-04-2011, 07:30 PM
My only complaint is we didn't throw the ball more. Should've planned to exploit their shitty secondary from the beginning anyway, whether Timmy could do it or not.

BroncoTech
12-04-2011, 07:38 PM
Take a look around there is far worse play calling. Dallas coach just iced his own kicker and cost them the game.

I was happy with the play calling in the first half. I was happy to see a run at 3rd and 22. I'm really happy we won.

getlynched47
12-04-2011, 07:40 PM
The word "assessment" has the word "Ass" in it.

HORSEPOWER 56
12-04-2011, 07:47 PM
Agreed, other than a few mistakes by Ponder, Harvin chewed up our secondary today, it was downright embarrassing. Gearheart also rammed it down our throats.

We had a lot of hits pressure on Ponder in the first half and almost nothing in the second. I wonder how much of this is the D being gassed, adjustments and missing Von. Hard to say.

To be fair, the Vikings' O-line is still one of the largest in the league. They are designed to play a downhill run game. That's what they did in the second half, ran downhill against our smaller, faster front four. Their defense is designed to stop the run first and foremost. I think they adjusted and max protected Ponder a lot more in the second half therefore neutralizing our blitz and allowing Harvin to run around and eventually get open (sometimes by OPI). Conversely Gerhart, who looked like he was mauling us, had 91 yards on 21 carries. He had just as many plays for no or negative gains as he did for positive ones. About 1/2 his yards came on one drive.

The Vikings were only giving up around 90 yards rushing per game on defense. McGahee alone had 111 on 20 carries. Our O-line did a pretty darn good job, too. I don't think the defense was "gassed" (they had just had a nice halftime break and the offense moved the ball pretty well in the second half). I think Allen and the defense just got outplayed and outschemed a little. It didn't help that our DBs (except Champ) got worked by the Minny WRs in the second half, either. Lots were saying that Champ should've lined up o Harvin, but Aromashodu was murdering Goodman just as badly.

Oh well, we won. Once again it wasn't a conventional win, but we got it done, even with the refs obviously not calling a very good game...

silkamilkamonico
12-04-2011, 08:17 PM
It's better to remain silent and be thought of as a fool than speak up and remove any doubt.

Exactly what I was thinking when I was responding to his "statement".

silkamilkamonico
12-04-2011, 08:23 PM
My only complaint is we didn't throw the ball more. Should've planned to exploit their shitty secondary from the beginning anyway, whether Timmy could do it or not.

The playcalling in the first half was utter garbage, just like it's been the last 5 weeks or whatever. It has seemed to be a common re-occurrence in this organization the last few years.

Fullback32
12-04-2011, 08:25 PM
Take a look around there is far worse play calling. Dallas coach just iced his own kicker and cost them the game.

I was happy with the play calling in the first half. I was happy to see a run at 3rd and 22. I'm really happy we won.

LOL...no doubt. Icing your own kicker...really Jason Garrett? You idiot. Add in panicking and abandoning the run when it was only 3-0. Wow...I guess a Princeton education equals nothing when it come to football.

bcbronc
12-04-2011, 08:31 PM
my assessment...

--we won and two teams we're chasing lost. Good day.

--we won using at least a reasonable facsimile of a contemporary NFL offense.

--Tebow made zero terrible throws. They weren't all lasers right into his receivers' hand warmer, but they were all catchable.

--we can't keep having 1 first down, 43 yard halfs. For all the wins and late game heroics, we've yet to see a 60 minute game from this offense in the Tebow era. Fanbois can blame everyone but Tebow, Tebow haters do the opposite, but playing effectively for 4 quarters is the next step for this offense.

--I love Von Miller.

--even with the win, I'd trade Tebow straight up for Ponder in a heart beat.

--CB and a durable running back are the teams biggest needs at the moment. Not our only needs, but our most pressing imo.

wayninja
12-04-2011, 08:35 PM
my assessment...

--Tebow made zero terrible throws. They weren't all lasers right into his receivers' hand warmer, but they were all catchable.

--we can't keep having 1 first down, 43 yard halfs. For all the wins and late game heroics, we've yet to see a 60 minute game from this offense in the Tebow era. Fanbois can blame everyone but Tebow, Tebow haters do the opposite, but playing effectively for 4 quarters is the next step for this offense.

--I love Von Miller.

I was with you up to here. Ponder threw a game ending INT for his team. That negates almost all the good he did all game (which was really Harvin, not Ponder). Tebow straight up for Ponder? Really? At least pretend like you are negotiating.

silkamilkamonico
12-04-2011, 08:40 PM
ponder does look refined for a rookie. he has a long way to go like any other rookie. tebow plays a different game and is very good at what he does. imho tebows greatest quality at this point of his career is his resiliency. the dude just contiues to scratch and claw his way through regardless of how lethargic theoffense is, and eventually just finds a way.

catfish
12-04-2011, 08:42 PM
Champ Bailey should be covering the other teams best player, not the backup QB. I am sure you're going to argue next that if it wasn't for Tim Tebow's positive mental telepathy, Andre Goodman wouldn't have intercepted the ball that basically won Denver the game.

I dont make statement about Tebow willing the team to win, I try to back all my statements up with stats or facts, I have been very clear in the past that if Tebow doesn't improve his passing Denver should move on...also that Elways statements were justified and that I feel Fox is behind Tebow 100%.

Try to paint me as a Tebow fanatic all you want to, I actually find it a little pathetic that I need to stick up for Tebow against Denver fans after his 5th win in a row, but hey whatever. All I was trying to get across is that I don't think Tebow much participated in the game in any way in the first half. He completed 66% of his passes, took a sack for a fumble which is bad but hardly out of the ordinary on any given Sunday.

Atrocious is the first quarter of the Miami game, or 0-5 with an interception. Maybe it all comes down to a different definition of atrocious as I define atrocious as a performance so poor that it puts the team in a position where it is impossible to win, (see detroit game)Like I said I have no issue saying the offense as a whole turned in a poor performance in the first half, but people better understand that it was the offense as a whole that was unable to string anything together not the offense couldn't string anything together because Tebow played poorly.

TebowsDen
12-04-2011, 08:44 PM
my assessment...

--I love Von Miller.

--CB and a durable running back are the teams biggest needs at the moment. Not our only needs, but our most pressing imo.

:shocked:Did we watch the same game? Give Tebow Harvin and Tebow would seriously average 300 ypg. No joke. Harvin is an unbelievably special player. He is practically undefensable.

hamrob
12-04-2011, 09:05 PM
The Vikings secondary sucks. That being said, they had the #9 overall defense in the NFL. So, that's no joke. That's a pretty good front 7 we faced.

I thought DT made some strides today. He couldn't get his second foot down for a first down on one play and he couldn't haul in Tebow's TD pass in the 4th...but, he had 4 really nice catches, 140+ yards and 2 TD's. That's great to see.

I really think with Decker and Thomas coming around...if we can work the TE into the mix...we have the potential for a very good passing attack headed into the playoffs. The type of passing attack that will make it hard to load the box against our run.

I thought our secondary, especially our safeties played poor and it was disapointing that we couldn't keep the heat on Ponder in the 2nd half. We had that kid beat down in the first half, and we allowed him to go almost untouched in the 2nd half.

Overall, it was a win. The offense made strides, the defense bent...but created turnovers and we did what we had to for the W!

I think the Bears are a winnable game....but, our defense will need to play better and we will need to run the ball better to beat them.

bcbronc
12-04-2011, 09:08 PM
I was with you up to here. Ponder threw a game ending INT for his team. That negates almost all the good he did all game (which was really Harvin, not Ponder). Tebow straight up for Ponder? Really? At least pretend like you are negotiating.

Why would I pretend I am negotiating? :confused:

Agreed, Ponder made a terrible throw at a terrible time. But that's one play from one game of the kids rookie season (not a red-shirt rookie either ;) ). Tebow's making strides week to week, and that's great. From what I've seen of both though (and this wasn't the first I've seen of Ponder), both can use their legs but Ponder is already light years ahead of Tebow in passing.

No, I'm not hating on Tebow, just stating that I really like what I've seen of Ponder so far and think he's the safer bet to become a franchise type QB.

bcbronc
12-04-2011, 09:10 PM
:shocked:Did we watch the same game? Give Tebow Harvin and Tebow would seriously average 300 ypg. No joke. Harvin is an unbelievably special player. He is practically undefensable.

no, I doubt we were watching the same game. I was watching DEN vs MIN, you were probably watching Tebow's nut sack.

PS Welcome to the boards.

:welcome:

wayninja
12-04-2011, 09:17 PM
Why would I pretend I am negotiating? :confused:

Because in no universe is that a good trade. Guys like Ponder are literally a dime a dozen.

Agreed, Ponder made a terrible throw at a terrible time. But that's one play from one game of the kids rookie season (not a red-shirt rookie either ;) ). Tebow's making strides week to week, and that's great. From what I've seen of both though (and this wasn't the first I've seen of Ponder), both can use their legs but Ponder is already light years ahead of Tebow in passing.

Well, he did throw 2 picks, and the other went for 6, so that's not exactly accurate. I think if you take Harvin out of the team you are left with Curtis Painter.

No, I'm not hating on Tebow, just stating that I really like what I've seen of Ponder so far and think he's the safer bet to become a franchise type QB.

I don't care how you feel about Tebow, but to seriously want to trade straight up for a guy like Ponder is silly to me. You are of course entitled to your opinion, but the bottom line is that Tebow has been clutch and Ponder, for whatever numbers he has put up, has not.

catfish
12-04-2011, 09:39 PM
Just as info, Thomas in the post-game stated he felt like he was back in college, hopefully this game gives him the confidence boost to step his game up for the rest of the year, take some of the pressure off Decker and open the pass game

bcbronc
12-04-2011, 10:17 PM
Because in no universe is that a good trade. Guys like Ponder are literally a dime a dozen.

lol, of course they are.

Well, he did throw 2 picks, and the other went for 6, so that's not exactly accurate. I think if you take Harvin out of the team you are left with Curtis Painter.

lol, you're silly.

Ponder had 5 receivers with 30+ yards, Tebow one, and that was DT who the Vikings apparently thought had some contagious disease.

Ponder had seven guys catch at least one pass, five catch 2 or more (8, 8, 6, 4, 2, 1, 1). Tebow had one guy of the five that got a pass catch more than 2 balls (4, 2, 2, 1, 1).

So no, it wasn't all Percy Harvin. Ponder did a good job spreading the ball around vs a defense that had been on fire and beat the shit out of him in the first half.

Obviously the win is the important thing, and Ponder's two turnovers were keys to our victory. He's still showing great for a rookie and imo him, AP, Harvin and their two TEs is the foundation of a powerhouse offense in coming years.

I don't care how you feel about Tebow, but to seriously want to trade straight up for a guy like Ponder is silly to me. You are of course entitled to your opinion, but the bottom line is that Tebow has been clutch and Ponder, for whatever numbers he has put up, has not.

I dunno, are you one of the Gaytor fans? If so, ya your not going to have anything good to say about an FSU alum. :lol:

Tebow has been clutch, and that's awesome for us. And I certainly hope you're right...much better for me as a Bronco's fan if Tebow becomes a HOFer. Don't think you can read too much into "clutchness" for a rookie though, so we'll see what happens there.

Long, long way to go before any definitive answers can be had on which is the better pro prospect. At this point imo Ponder has the much more complete NFL skill set. Time will tell if that translates to a more successful career.

dunk7
12-04-2011, 10:22 PM
One thing that worries me is Fox's ultra conservative decision making. Guy goes not gamble and doesn't adjust either to how the game is proceeding. Our defense was playing horribly yet he kept trying to put the game in their hands (not gambling on 4-2 when we were in Viking territory and holding off on going for 2. Tebow is bailing out his poor decision making. Don't get me wrong but he's a better coordinator than head coach. I think Tebow has shown improvement so hopefully they release the shackles a little but from what I see from Fox, that's highly unlikely.

wayninja
12-04-2011, 10:33 PM
lol, of course they are.

Lol,lol.

lol, you're silly.

Ponder had 5 receivers with 30+ yards, Tebow one, and that was DT who the Vikings apparently thought had some contagious disease.

Ponder had seven guys catch at least one pass, five catch 2 or more (8, 8, 6, 4, 2, 1, 1). Tebow had one guy of the five that got a pass catch more than 2 balls (4, 2, 2, 1, 1).

Um... so? You might as well include Goodman and Haggan and call it passes to 9 guys.

So no, it wasn't all Percy Harvin. Ponder did a good job spreading the ball around vs a defense that had been on fire and beat the shit out of him in the first half.

No, it wasn't all Harvin, just like ~40%.

Obviously the win is the important thing, and Ponder's two turnovers were keys to our victory. He's still showing great for a rookie and imo him, AP, Harvin and their two TEs is the foundation of a powerhouse offense in coming years.

Ok, good for him. Still don't understand a straight up trade for someone you admit is a dime a dozen.

I dunno, are you one of the Gaytor fans? If so, ya your not going to have anything good to say about an FSU alum. :lol:

I have never followed college football in my life. I have lived in Denver for more than 95% of my life. FSU (and most of their Alum not playing for the Broncos) can get F'd for all I care.

Tebow has been clutch, and that's awesome for us. And I certainly hope you're right...much better for me as a Bronco's fan if Tebow becomes a HOFer. Don't think you can read too much into "clutchness" for a rookie though, so we'll see what happens there.

He's not a rookie. Nonetheless, he's already shown enough clutch play that I can no longer in all intellectual honesty call it happy coincidence.

Long, long way to go before any definitive answers can be had on which is the better pro prospect. At this point imo Ponder has the much more complete NFL skill set. Time will tell if that translates to a more successful career.

Sure, a long way to go. But Ponder is ordinary and from what I've seen of Tebow, he's extraordinary. For all the projected downside to him that we've all heard about, I've really yet to see any of it be a liability.

bcbronc
12-04-2011, 10:48 PM
Lol,lol.

Um... so? You might as well include Goodman and Haggan and call it passes to 9 guys.

No, it wasn't all Harvin, just like ~40%.

Ok, good for him. Still don't understand a straight up trade for someone you admit is a dime a dozen.

I have never followed college football in my life. I have lived in Denver for more than 95% of my life. FSU (and most of their Alum not playing for the Broncos) can get F'd for all I care.

He's not a rookie. Nonetheless, he's already shown enough clutch play that I can no longer in all intellectual honesty call it happy coincidence.

Sure, a long way to go. But Ponder is ordinary and from what I've seen of Tebow, he's extraordinary. For all the projected downside to him that we've all heard about, I've really yet to see any of it be a liability.

you've never been told you're too smart for your own good, have you?

wayninja
12-04-2011, 11:12 PM
you've never been told you're too smart for your own good, have you?

No. Good talk.

CrazyHorse
12-04-2011, 11:30 PM
One thing that worries me is Fox's ultra conservative decision making. Guy goes not gamble and doesn't adjust either to how the game is proceeding. Our defense was playing horribly yet he kept trying to put the game in their hands (not gambling on 4-2 when we were in Viking territory and holding off on going for 2. Tebow is bailing out his poor decision making. Don't get me wrong but he's a better coordinator than head coach. I think Tebow has shown improvement so hopefully they release the shackles a little but from what I see from Fox, that's highly unlikely.

It's as if it's Dan Reeve's and John Elway all over again.

I Eat Staples
12-05-2011, 01:09 AM
You can't put that all on Thomas. If it was a better throw he has an easy catch. Thomas made a great play even catching that ball. You are correct he needs to get his feet down but Tebow could have made that a lot easier.

I'm not ripping on DT for it or anything, it definitely wasn't an easy play. But if I remember correctly, there was a defender not too far off and Tebow put that ball in basically the only place he could. I'd rather see an incompletion that could have been a catch than an incompletion that could have been a pick.

I Eat Staples
12-05-2011, 01:14 AM
On the Ponder vs Tebow debate:

Tebow's potential probably ranges anywhere from very bad to super star. Ponder's potential probably ranges from slightly below average to slightly above average.

Ponder played very well for most of the game today, but I just don't see anything in him that makes me believe he can be an all-pro. He's ahead of Tebow right now, but Tebow's ceiling is so much higher. Give me Tebow over Ponder any day.

John Bad Elk
12-05-2011, 01:27 AM
This is the second week in a row that AFN had the Bronco's game in primetime! I stayed up late again and saw the entire game, awesome win!

Tebow and the Bronco's, it doesn't get any better than this!

"I can do all things thorugh Christ who stregthens me."

Bullgator
12-05-2011, 03:33 AM

Silk who the **** are you kidding. You are a legendary Tebow hater and I have NEVER seen you give Teebs ANY credit.

silkamilkamonico
12-05-2011, 03:36 AM
Silk who the **** are you kidding. You are a legendary Tebow hater and I have NEVER seen you give Teebs ANY credit.

Try looking in the other threads clown, and countless others on the days after each game of the last 6 weeks of this run.

Tebow has been outstanding when it matters most, and he would be embarrassed at your conspiracy theories you quack.

Bullgator
12-05-2011, 03:48 AM
Try looking in the other threads clown, and countless others on the days after each game of the last 6 weeks of this run.

Tebow has been outstanding when it matters most, and he would be embarrassed at your conspiracy theories you quack.

You dont get to talk shit the whole ******* year and EVERY WEEK and then try and sneak on the bandwagon after 6-1 as if you were down the hwole time... you and merril hoge can go make out with christine carter.

silkamilkamonico
12-05-2011, 03:51 AM
You dont get to talk shit the whole ******* year and EVERY WEEK and then try and sneak on the bandwagon after 6-1 as if you were down the hwole time... you and merril hoge can go make out with christine carter.

I talk chit when the team struggles, and I give praise when the team earns it.

Deal with it.

I've been on the Bronco Bandwagon a hell of a lot longer than you will ever be.

vandammage13
12-05-2011, 12:57 PM

A big problem with the first half was the safety after MINN pinned us deep and the two fumbles.

It wasn't that TT was playing bad, there just weren't many opportunities in the 1st half.

The Pick-6 by the D also gave the ball right back to MINN.

The fact that the team doesn't fold when things weren't going their way in the 1st half is huge...When that sort of thing happened with Orton at QB we usually got blown out because the team would quit.