PDA

View Full Version : Reeves interviewing for OC spot in San Fran

broncofaninfla
01-23-2009, 03:31 PM
49ERS LOOK TO THE PAST IN OFFENSIVE COORDINATOR SEARCH (http://www.profootballtalk.com/2009/01/23/49ers-look-to-the-past-in-offensive-coordinator-search/)

Posted by Josh Alper on January 23, 2009, 2:30 p.m.
A surprising name has surfaced in the 49ers’ search for a new offensive coordinator. Former Broncos, Giants and Falcons head coach Dan Reeves will interview for the job, according to both Adam Schefter and FOX’s Jay Glazer.
Schefter says the interview will take place on Friday afternoon while Glazer places it sometime in the next 24 hours. Schefter says that Mike Singletary has had a hard time finding someone he trusts to call plays for the 49ers, and Reeves’ experience would seem to be enough to clear that stumbling block.
Reeves has been out of coaching since 2003 when the Falcons fired him. He currently works as a color commentator for Westwood One’s national radio broadcasts on Sunday afternoons. Reeves coached the Broncos to three Super Bowls in the 80’s and took the Falcons to their only Super Bowl in 1998.
According to Schefter, if all goes well in the interview Reeves could be hired at some point this weekend.

NightTrainLayne
01-23-2009, 03:34 PM
Wow. That seems like it came completely out of left field. . .Surely Singletary won't do that.

G_Money
01-23-2009, 03:40 PM
2 yards and a cloud of dust, then hand it to a HOF QB on 3rd and long and hope he can win a game for you isn’t a game plan, at least not a sane one.

Reeves’ Giants teams were the worst in the league pretty much every year. I know Atlanta made it to a SB, but really? Reeves?

Wow.

~G

broncofaninfla
01-23-2009, 03:47 PM
Yeah, I was pretty surprised by that one.

turftoad
01-23-2009, 04:32 PM
I hope the 9rs like to run up the middle cuz thats what they'll be doing 35 plays a game.

TXBRONC
01-23-2009, 04:50 PM
I hope the 9rs like to run up the middle cuz thats what they'll be doing 35 plays a game.

Right now Gore is the best part of their offense.

Ziggy
01-23-2009, 04:53 PM
If Reeves gets that job, Gore might go for 1700-2000 yards.

Shazam!
01-23-2009, 06:15 PM
Reeves’ Giants teams were the worst in the league pretty much every year. I know Atlanta made it to a SB, but really? Reeves?

I think Dan Reeves is one of the most disrespected Coaches in the NFL.

He took over a 6-10 NYG team and had them in the Playoffs the next year.

He had Phil Simms for one season and was blessed with the fine QB skills of Kent Graham and Dave Brown. Jake Plummer is a worldbeater compared to those numbskulls.

His NYG played in one the toughest divisions in the NFL at the time when Dallas was still a SB contender.

He may have brought us to 3 SB blowouts and kept Elway under wraps, but the guy is a good Coach. he brought the Falcons to the SB.. That's the equivalent of the Cards next week.

Give the guy a little credit.

Gimpygod
01-23-2009, 08:20 PM

He had Phil Simms for one season and was blessed with the fine QB skills of Kent Graham and Dave Brown. Jake Plummer is a worldbeater compared to those numbskulls.

His NYG played in one the toughest divisions in the NFL at the time when Dallas was still a SB contender.

He may have brought us to 3 SB blowouts and kept Elway under wraps, but the guy is a good Coach. he brought the Falcons to the SB.. That's the equivalent of the Cards next week.

Wrong... Elway took us to those super Bowls despite Dan Reeves. Even if you argue,, incorrectly, that he's an overall good coach he is definitely nothing resembling an Offensive genius. Seriously, Sammy Winder had to wear a giant rubber gloves to even have a hope of catching the ball and Dan Reeves like he was a cross between Sweetness and Jerry Rice. He would be rushed with utter predictability twice and then prayed to Elway to convert the third down. He had one of the greatest quarterbacks in history so he drafted Tommy Maddox to replace him in his prime... the guy was horrible and was lucky he had one of the few players in NFL history who could actually carry a team by himself. I remember Elway had to drill those little Smurfs they called wide receivers with the ball hard enough to stick and also drive them through the end zone... touchdown!

I remember him saying this during the Dan Reeves show, "I should be able to call the same play every time and it should work if the people execute properly..." I suppose that is assuming the other guys are a zombie horde and incapable of adaptation.

Superchop 7
01-23-2009, 09:14 PM
Ummmm.........no.

Broncos Mtnman
01-23-2009, 09:36 PM
49ERS LOOK TO THE PAST IN OFFENSIVE COORDINATOR SEARCH (http://www.profootballtalk.com/2009/01/23/49ers-look-to-the-past-in-offensive-coordinator-search/)

Posted by Josh Alper on January 23, 2009, 2:30 p.m.
A surprising name has surfaced in the 49ers’ search for a new offensive coordinator. Former Broncos, Giants and Falcons head coach Dan Reeves will interview for the job, according to both Adam Schefter and FOX’s Jay Glazer.
Schefter says the interview will take place on Friday afternoon while Glazer places it sometime in the next 24 hours. Schefter says that Mike Singletary has had a hard time finding someone he trusts to call plays for the 49ers, and Reeves’ experience would seem to be enough to clear that stumbling block.
Reeves has been out of coaching since 2003 when the Falcons fired him. He currently works as a color commentator for Westwood One’s national radio broadcasts on Sunday afternoons. Reeves coached the Broncos to three Super Bowls in the 80’s and took the Falcons to their only Super Bowl in 1998.
According to Schefter, if all goes well in the interview Reeves could be hired at some point this weekend.

I liked Reeves. Say what you want, but the man coached teams to the 4 Conference Championships and 7 Division Championships.

:beer:

Lonestar
01-23-2009, 09:47 PM
2 yards and a cloud of dust, then hand it to a HOF QB on 3rd and long and hope he can win a game for you isn’t a game plan, at least not a sane one.

Wow.

~G

I thought it was maybe 3 yards and cloud of dust.. but my memory is fading.. his BS trying to trade John and then drafting that knuckle head from UCLA in the first did nothing to endear him in my heart..

A nice guy IMO but hardly a OC IMHO..

TXBRONC
01-23-2009, 09:59 PM
I thought it was maybe 3 yards and cloud of dust.. but my memory is fading.. his BS trying to trade John and then drafting that knuckle head from UCLA in the first did nothing to endear him in my heart..

He does have a Super Bowl ring as the offensive coordinator of the Dallas Cowboys.

Lonestar
01-23-2009, 10:13 PM
He does have a Super Bowl ring as the offensive coordinator of the Dallas Cowboys.

yes he does but how many decades ago was that and more precisely how many different systems since..

Like I said I like the guy but no one is still using the terms halfback anymore..

G_Money
01-23-2009, 10:32 PM

They're not hiring him to be a head coach, they're hiring him to coordinate an offense.

The strengths of Dan Reeves are not offensive innovation and modern playcalling.

They're not even standard smash-mouth and throwback playcalling.

The 11-5 Giants that "Reeves took to the playoffs" had the NUMBER ONE defense against points in all the land - as coached by the guy we just hired, Nolan.

Giants offense, 1993-96
Points Yards
18th 10th
22nd 28th
24th 29th
28th 30th

The year they were 28th in yards there were only 28 teams in the league. They added 2 expansion teams the next year, and Reeves was worse than one of them in yards the next year and the worst team in the entire league in yards AGAIN his final year.

It's astounding that Nolan's defenses rated that highly with the worthless output of Reeves' offenses.

The Falcons under Reeves went 7-9, 14-2, 5-11, 4-12, and 7-9. Which one of those looks like an aberration?

The year they went 14-2 they had a real offense (and a very good statistical defense that year, I might add), but the other years?

Falcons offense, 1997-2002
Points Yards
18th 23rd
4th 7th
23rd 27th
27th 30th
23rd 15th

You might say he didn't have a lot to work with offensively in either place, not once Jamal Anderson blew his knee out and Chandler finally broke down in Atlanta.

But he doesn't have a lot to work with in SF right now EITHER.

Why hire a guy who can't get ANYTHING out of mediocre offensive talent, nor apparently recognize offensive talent well enough to add it?:confused:

We didn't exactly add HOFers around Elway when Reeves was here, and he even tried to ditch Elway - repeatedly.

The Giants got worse, although he wasn't in charge of personnel there. The Falcons got worse, though they had the one brilliant year.

The one year with the Falcons was the best year of offense his teams ever put together. He had Elway for a decade and never put together an offense like that. He surrounded Elway with Sammy Winder and Gerald Wilhite and Ricky Nattiel.

And he called the plays for those Giants and Falcons teams, didn't he? It's not like you can blame that on some other guy.

Dan Reeves has won a LOT of games. He's been to a LOT of Super Bowls.

But if you were looking for someone to take a horrible QB situation with pass-protection issues and just one strong runner, why would you hire a guy who has only ever had one good RB and struggled with mediocre QBs wherever he's been?

I know Reeves loves to run the ball and doesn't want his QBs to do anything, but I guess I don't understand.

~G

Lonestar
01-23-2009, 10:36 PM
Hey G add to that Pat had to hire a buffer between him and John.. named Shanahan so John would not retire..

BIG MISTAKE IN SFO if he gets hired..

G_Money
01-23-2009, 10:37 PM

When Winder was running it, it was 2 yards. :coffee: Maybe a little more...but IIRC he never averaged 4.0 yards a rush for a season, EVER.

And that dude was with us almost Reeves' whole tenure. We couldn't get rid of the lil *******. Thanks Reeves - mandate a running game with one of the worst running backs in the league, year after year...after bloody year...

ARGH.

/bitter

~G

G_Money
01-23-2009, 10:38 PM
Hey G add to that Pat had to hire a buffer between him and John.. named Shanahan so John would not retire..

BIG MISTAKE IN SFO if he gets hired..

And Reeves fired that buffer. You're right, I forgot to put, "massively abrasive to QBs" on his anti-resume for this job.

~G

turftoad
01-23-2009, 11:04 PM
And Reeves fired that buffer. You're right, I forgot to put, "massively abrasive to QBs" on his anti-resume for this job.

~G

Exactly. Not that stats mean anything but he held Elway back.

Elway did not like Reeves. Elways stats may have been untouchable if not for Reeves.

Lonestar
01-24-2009, 01:22 AM

~G

Yeah I forgot he fired him because mikey was conspiring with John to get him fired..

I firmly believe if danny boy would have untied Johns hands, it would have been mostly Johns records that Brett has been breaking instead of Marinos..........

reeves was a tool..

Lonestar
01-24-2009, 01:23 AM
Exactly. Not that stats mean anything but he held Elway back.

Elway did not like Reeves. Elways stats may have been untouchable if not for Reeves.

sorry just read your post great minds think alike..:salute::salute:

broncophan
01-24-2009, 03:06 AM
190-165 record as a head coach is pretty good...considering he coached a pathetic falcon franchise for a few years.

I think......if he chooses.......he deserves a shot at being an offensive coord....

Broncos Mtnman
01-24-2009, 05:44 PM
When Winder was running it, it was 2 yards. :coffee: Maybe a little more...but IIRC he never averaged 4.0 yards a rush for a season, EVER.

And that dude was with us almost Reeves' whole tenure. We couldn't get rid of the lil *******. Thanks Reeves - mandate a running game with one of the worst running backs in the league, year after year...after bloody year...

ARGH.

/bitter

~G

Well, I'm not here to defend Reeves or Winder, but you have your facts a bit mixed up.

Sure, Winder played for several years under Reeves, but he wasn't the primary back the whole time. In fact, Sammy was the primary back for only 5 of his 9 years with the team.

In the seasons where he was the primary back, he made the Pro-Bowl twice, with 1153 yards rushing in one of those Pro-Bowl seasons.

He was primarily a short-yardage back during the last half of his career, thus the low ypc average. He was a back up to Tony Dorsett, Bobby Humphrey and Gaston Green over his last five seasons.

He finished top-10 in several catagories a couple of times in his career.....

Rushing Atts in a season - 1984 296 atts (7) / 1986 240 atts (9)
Rushing TDs in a season - 1986 9 TDs (7) / 1987 6 TDs (10)
Touchdowns in a season - 1986 14 TDs (4)
Rushing/Receiving TDs in a season - 1986 14 TDs (4)
Touches in a season - 1984 340 touches (7) / 1986 266 touches (10)

Clearly in his day, Sammy was very effective, and even when he was the backup to bigger name players, he did his job.

:coffee:

MOtorboat
01-24-2009, 05:54 PM
Sure, Winder played for several years under Reeves, but he wasn't the primary back the whole time. In fact, Sammy was the primary back for only 5 of his 9 years with the team.

9 of 12 years and that equals "several."

Um, ok.

Broncos Mtnman
01-24-2009, 06:21 PM
9 of 12 years and that equals "several."

Um, ok.

Several def:

a: more than one <several pleas> b: more than two but fewer than many <moved several inches> cchiefly dialect : being a great many

MOtorboat
01-24-2009, 06:24 PM
Several def:

a: more than one <several pleas> b: more than two but fewer than many <moved several inches> cchiefly dialect : being a great many

Now go and be a ***** somewhere else. :coffee:

You have a broad definition of several.

When correcting someone on "facts," I would expect you to at least know the facts.

If you want to make this about me, go ahead. I think I've just shown that you really don't know what you're talking about, considering Winder played all of his career for Reeves, and Reeves had Winder 3/4 of his time in Denver, but :noidea:

G_Money
01-24-2009, 06:46 PM
Well, I'm not here to defend Reeves or Winder, but you have your facts a bit mixed up.

In the seasons where he was the primary back, he made the Pro-Bowl twice, with 1153 yards rushing in one of those Pro-Bowl seasons.

He was primarily a short-yardage back during the last half of his career, thus the low ypc average. He was a back up to Tony Dorsett, Bobby Humphrey and Gaston Green over his last five seasons.

He finished top-10 in several catagories a couple of times in his career.....

Rushing Atts in a season - 1984 296 atts (7) / 1986 240 atts (9)
Rushing TDs in a season - 1986 9 TDs (7) / 1987 6 TDs (10)
Touchdowns in a season - 1986 14 TDs (4)
Rushing/Receiving TDs in a season - 1986 14 TDs (4)
Touches in a season - 1984 340 touches (7) / 1986 266 touches (10)

Clearly in his day, Sammy was very effective, and even when he was the backup to bigger name players, he did his job.

I guess I'm not sure of your point.

1984 was a very decent year for him. Unfortunately for us, he spent 6 more years with the team, all of them far worse than that one.

The 1986 season? He couldn't crack 800 yards on 240 carries. He was 16th in the league in yards while getting that 9th in carries. So yes, Reeves ran him all the time, but that wasn't exactly the smart play.

He was a backup to Dorsett in 88, but had just a handful fewer carries. He was a backup to Dorsett the way that Tatum was a backup to Mike Anderson. What has he, 2 carries a game less?

His YPC were low start to finish in his career.

3.9, 3.9, 3.9, 3.6, 3.3, 3.8, 3.6, 3.2, 2.9. You're definitely right about him being a short-yardage back his last couple of years with us, but that's some seriously short yardage even with that taken into account.

Sammy Winder had one good year, and then another year where we went to a SB and he rode it to a Pro Bowl.

And he played 9 years for us, while trotting out some YPCs that hurt our offense a lot.

Humphrey was a good back for a couple of years, just an absolute idiot who ran himself outta the league in astonishingly short order.

But Reeves powered his running game - the part of his game that he cared about the most - with Winder, Willhite, the last year of Dorsett, Idiot Humphery, Gaston Green (thanks to Idiot H's holdout), and the rest.

If the 49ers go the Reeves route, thank God for them that they have Gore already. Maybe that'll help.

~G

Ziggy
01-24-2009, 06:57 PM
"Execute, execute. Ya just gotta execute!"

Note: If you didn't watch the Broncos during the Reeves years, this post will make no sense whatsoever. If you did, does it ring a bell?

Broncos Mtnman
01-25-2009, 12:56 AM
You have a broad definition of several.

Yeah, what does webster know anyway...

When correcting someone on "facts," I would expect you to at least know the facts.

I do know the facts.

In 1988, Dorsett carried 181 times to Winder's 149.
In 1989, Humphrey carried 294 times to Winder's 110.
In 1990, Humphrey carried 288 times to Winder's 42.
In 1991, Winder was gone.

So, it is clear that he was being phased out during the last part of his time with the Broncos, and when he did play, it was for short yardage situations or an periodic 3rd down break for the starter ahead of him.

If you want to make this about me, go ahead. I think I've just shown that you really don't know what you're talking about, considering Winder played all of his career for Reeves, and Reeves had Winder 3/4 of his time in Denver, but :noidea:

I never said he wasn't here for SEVERAL years under Reeves. I did say that he wasn't Reeves #1 guy like G was trying to say he was. In fact, he was the team's leading rusher in attempts only 5 of the 9 seasons he was here.

sneakers
01-25-2009, 01:14 AM
Good for him...I hope he gets the job!

sneakers
01-25-2009, 01:22 AM
Wrong... Elway took us to those super Bowls despite Dan Reeves. Even if you argue,, incorrectly, that he's an overall good coach he is definitely nothing resembling an Offensive genius. Seriously, Sammy Winder had to wear a giant rubber gloves to even have a hope of catching the ball and Dan Reeves like he was a cross between Sweetness and Jerry Rice. He would be rushed with utter predictability twice and then prayed to Elway to convert the third down. He had one of the greatest quarterbacks in history so he drafted Tommy Maddox to replace him in his prime... the guy was horrible and was lucky he had one of the few players in NFL history who could actually carry a team by himself. I remember Elway had to drill those little Smurfs they called wide receivers with the ball hard enough to stick and also drive them through the end zone... touchdown!

I remember him saying this during the Dan Reeves show, "I should be able to call the same play every time and it should work if the people execute properly..." I suppose that is assuming the other guys are a zombie horde and incapable of adaptation.

Those 201 career coaching victories....he must have just got lucky during those games.

Shazam!
01-25-2009, 01:27 AM

What happened to Denver right after he was fired again? 1994 was a great year.

Before Shanahan's arrival, Denver was in quite the tailspin... I stand by my earlier comment.