PDA

View Full Version : Senior Bowl Standouts

WARHORSE
01-23-2009, 01:20 PM
Lots of buzz on different players. One guy whos making an impression is Jarron Gilbert, and the first vid is of him jumping out of a pool from a squating position...........pretty impressive...........mighty explosive.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rXDSPbZ_OUw

http://www.nfl.com/videos?videoId=09000d5d80e4084e

http://www.nfl.com/videos?videoId=09000d5d80e4119a

An interesting training wrap from last years combine:

http://www.nfl.com/videos?videoId=09000d5d80e4bffe

Post any senior bowl stuff here please.........

Ziggy
01-23-2009, 01:24 PM
I have Gilbert in my mock as our third rounder. If he keeps those antics up, he'll be gone in the 2nd.

CoachChaz
01-23-2009, 01:31 PM
He seems like a great fit for the 3-4, but watching him in the East-West Shrine game, he was easily moved around by double teams...a scenario he will see regularly as a 3-4 DE.

However, I'd be happy to spend a 3rd round pick on him and groom him.

turftoad
01-23-2009, 01:33 PM
Mel says Raji is making the biggest move up the board. Making great immpressions.

Ziggy
01-23-2009, 01:36 PM
Mel says Raji is making the biggest move up the board. Making great immpressions.

Raji played his way right out of our 12 spot. He may move into the top 5-7 range.

LRtagger
01-23-2009, 01:44 PM
I would be inclined to trade up for him at this point if we had to.

Ziggy
01-23-2009, 01:49 PM
I would be inclined to trade up for him at this point if we had to.

I wouldn't complain if we did, assuming that it didn't cost us more than a 3rd or 4th rounder.

G_Money
01-23-2009, 01:59 PM
Raji played his way right out of our 12 spot. He may move into the top 5-7 range.

Doesn’t mean he’ll go that high, but he’d have to fall to us instead of naturally settling there.

I think SF is our main competition for him, if we want him in the first. I think he can escape GB, but Singletary knows and loves defense, and adding Raji may just be too tempting to pass up.

~G

G_Money
01-23-2009, 02:13 PM
So you would remove Ryan Harris or Brandon Marshall from the team in order to add BJ Raji?

That’s who the Broncos picked up in the 3rd or 4th rounds of the 06 and 07 drafts.

Those are not inconsequential picks. I’m of the opinion that if your draftniks are adding more starters to your team than any other draftnik in the league is adding to his, then you probably shouldn’t take their picks away.

If we moved up to add BJ Raji I would be far happier than I was to move up to draft Moss, since Raji is not a 3rd down project, but it still means we removed another potential starter from the roster.

Last 3 drafts:

- Cuter, starter, Pro-Bowler
- Scheffler, starter
- Marshall, starter, Pro-Bowler
- Dumerville, sometime-starter
- Kuper – starter
- Hixon – sometime-starter for another team
- Harris – starter
- Thomas - starter
- Clady – starter, future Pro-Bowler
- Royal – starter, future Pro-Bowler
- Hillis – sometime-starter

Guys with a legit chance to start next year, depending on our additions:
- Lichtensteiger
- Larsen
- Barrett

Um…that’s a lot. :shocked:

I try to give those draft guys more shots at the draft, not fewer if at all possible.

I love Raji, but if he’s gonna go at 6 let’s be careful what we’re willing to give up to get him. We’re not one player away, after all, even if he’s a good player.

~G

TXBRONC
01-23-2009, 02:14 PM
Doesn’t mean he’ll go that high, but he’d have to fall to us instead of naturally settling there.

I think SF is our main competition for him, if we want him in the first. I think he can escape GB, but Singletary knows and loves defense, and adding Raji may just be too tempting to pass up.

~G

What other needs do the 49ers have?

Requiem / The Dagda
01-23-2009, 02:18 PM
Is Raji worth it? I think so -- but I think of it this way. If he isn't there at #12, Denver can still move down and get a few more selections to help bolster their defense and offense. In my opinion, Raji is one of only a few people worthy of the #12 pick. If Denver misses out on their "top guys" -- why not move back?

If Blue Run is right, the guys Denver seem to like will more than likely be there a few picks later. If William Moore is someone Denver is seriously interested in -- we can afford to trade back. I think there is enough talent on board and enough players who would fit needs in the first-round to justify us moving backwards.

If Raji is there at #12, I think you take him. I think you have to. If not, your options can open up. The difference between a Raji at NT and a T. Taylor are pretty large in my eyes. Then again, maybe that Ron Brace kid would be fine down the road. Then again, with so many teams turning over to a 3-4 and looking for new personnel -- we might have some competition.

There is a lot of talent in this draft, but premiums are going to be put on players at positions we have needs due to the scheme changes league-wide and IMHO, the current overall trends of the NFL. Lets just hope for the best.

Keep posting ~G, we'll write a book.

Italianmobstr7
01-23-2009, 02:23 PM
What other needs do the 49ers have?

O-Line, WR. They gave up the 2nd most sacks this year and were leading for quite a while. They still have no game-breaking receivers. Isaac Bruce is a year older, Bryant Johnson didn't do much, and they had Josh Morgan breaking out a little but he got hurt near the end of the year.

broncofaninfla
01-23-2009, 02:25 PM
I say our best bet is to wait and see if he falls. I think our biggest worry with the teams ahead of us is Green Bay and San Fran. Can't help but think San Fran might take a QB if Sanchez our Stafford falls into their laps. Green Bay however with Capers now has to be very interested in Raji. Also, I think the NFL has to think we are focused on Raji and wouldn't be suprsied to see somebody like San Fran trade down to move ahead of us to nab him. I tried putting together a list of team needs ahead of us to see if he could fall and I think he does have a chance. I could be WAY off on some team needs as I reverted to memory rather than taking the time to research each team. Feedback/comments strongly encouraged.

Detroit Lions QB, OL, LB
St. Louis Rams OL, LB, DL
Kansas City Chiefs LB, CB, OL
Seattle Seahawks WR, QB, OL
Cleveland Browns CB, RB
Cincinnati Bengals OL, RB, WR
Oakland Raiders OL, WR
Jacksonville Jaguars LB, WR, OL
Green Bay Packers DE, NT
San Francisco 49'ers QB, RB, OL
Buffalo Bills OL, TE, LB

CoachChaz
01-23-2009, 02:35 PM
I think SF and GB are the biggest threats to take him. But, both teams couls also go OL as well. We just need to have a solid 2nd option if BJ is the guy we're targeting

TXBRONC
01-23-2009, 02:54 PM
I think SF and GB are the biggest threats to take him. But, both teams couls also go OL as well. We just need to have a solid 2nd option if BJ is the guy we're targeting

Well with the instance success of Thomas, Clady, Jake Long, San Fran might be willing to go after the offensive tackle in the draft.

broncofaninfla
01-23-2009, 03:11 PM
Another reason to pull for Arizona. I hope that offense lights it up and the copy cat aspect makes teams focus on offensive players. The offensive players taken ahead of us, the more likely BJ will fall to us.

TXBRONC
01-23-2009, 03:20 PM
Another reason to pull for Arizona. I hope that offense lights it up do the copy cat aspect makes teams focus on offensive players. The offensive players taken ahead of us, the more likely BJ will fall to us.

I think teams are already there. Eight offensive tackles were taken in 1st round of 2008 draft. When teams look at the succes of Thomas, Clady, and Jake Long, I think makes even more appealing to go after those offensive linemen.

LRtagger
01-23-2009, 03:24 PM
Good footage on NFL.com

TE/RB vs. LB Drills
http://www.nfl.com/videos?videoId=09000d5d80e4a80e

Eye Catchers
http://www.nfl.com/videos?videoId=09000d5d80e4119a

WR vs DB Drills
http://www.nfl.com/videos?videoId=09000d5d80e3fb84

**South Linemen Drills
http://www.nfl.com/videos?videoId=09000d5d80e45358

**North Linemen Drills (Larry English looked outstanding)
http://www.nfl.com/videos?videoId=09000d5d80e44fdd

USC Linebackers
http://www.nfl.com/videos?videoId=09000d5d80e4084e

**Raji Interview
http://www.nfl.com/videos?videoId=09000d5d80e45ffe

G_Money
01-23-2009, 03:26 PM
The question is whether Oher or anyone else is that sort of player.

If Oher had come out last year he would have been clearly behind both Long and Clady, and I don’t know that he’s made the strides to jump up above Clady on people’s charts. With the first 10 picks or so most teams have clearly set BPA charts.

Just because you need an OT doesn’t mean that Oher ranks high enough for you to take him that early.

Andre Smith would be a pretty clear first OT for any non-ZBS team I would think. Monroe and Oher are pretty close, kinda like the discussion between Williams and Clady before the draft.

But that was in the #10-15 range.

If SF has Raji rated as the 6th best player on their board, Monroe as #12 and Oher as #14, let’s say, then do they reach for an OT or do they take the DT who somehow got down to them?

If all they needed was an OT, then I’d say they’d take one. It’s “close enough” and definitely a need.

GB and SF both have multiple needs. Maybe they go OT, maybe the OTs they like are all gone if another run on em happens like last year. It’s not like Detroit, St. Louis and the Bengals couldn’t all use tackles. The Raiders could use one too, though I think they pass on it. Mario Henderson did well enough for them to let them go another way (my brother-in-law was crowing about him – we really need a pass-rusher so we can expose him).

Does anyone else feel like the draft is gonna be great fun and totally new this year? :D

Why is it still 3 months away…?

~G

broncofaninfla
01-23-2009, 03:33 PM
I've always been very intrested in the draft but this year has a new level of excitment for me. The Goodman team gives me reason for optimism and Denver finally seems focued on getting a D back in Denver!

CoachChaz
01-23-2009, 03:36 PM
What makes it exciting is we have a new brain trust altogether and alot of needs.

In the past we had an idea of what we needed and eventually got a grasp of what Shanny looked for. But now...anything could happen. Should be a pretty fun off-season.

TXBRONC
01-23-2009, 03:43 PM
The question is whether Oher or anyone else is that sort of player.

If Oher had come out last year he would have been clearly behind both Long and Clady, and I don’t know that he’s made the strides to jump up above Clady on people’s charts. With the first 10 picks or so most teams have clearly set BPA charts.

Just because you need an OT doesn’t mean that Oher ranks high enough for you to take him that early.

Andre Smith would be a pretty clear first OT for any non-ZBS team I would think. Monroe and Oher are pretty close, kinda like the discussion between Williams and Clady before the draft.

But that was in the #10-15 range.

If SF has Raji rated as the 6th best player on their board, Monroe as #12 and Oher as #14, let’s say, then do they reach for an OT or do they take the DT who somehow got down to them?

If all they needed was an OT, then I’d say they’d take one. It’s “close enough” and definitely a need.

GB and SF both have multiple needs. Maybe they go OT, maybe the OTs they like are all gone if another run on em happens like last year. It’s not like Detroit, St. Louis and the Bengals couldn’t all use tackles. The Raiders could use one too, though I think they pass on it. Mario Henderson did well enough for them to let them go another way (my brother-in-law was crowing about him – we really need a pass-rusher so we can expose him).

Does anyone else feel like the draft is gonna be great fun and totally new this year? :D

~G

At this point the way things look if Denver wants Raji doesn't seem to be out of reach assuming McDaniels and Nolan want him. If our main competition for Raji is the 49er and the Packers then I don't think he's out of our reach.

broncofaninfla
01-23-2009, 03:46 PM
Aside from focusing on Denver, I'm going to be keeping an eye on the teams ahead of us during free agency to help give me some insight on what postions they might be focusing on in this years draft.

TXBRONC
01-23-2009, 04:41 PM
Aside from focusing on Denver, I'm going to be keeping an eye on the teams ahead of us during free agency to help give me some insight on what postions they might be focusing on in this years draft.

I'll you'll be able to keep us up to date as what you find out. :salute:

Scarface
01-24-2009, 09:17 AM

~G

Supposedly he didn't want to take Willis so there is hope.:defense:

Scarface
01-24-2009, 09:20 AM

~G

Don't forget Free Agency either man. This is going to be an interesting offseason. We'll get to sit back and watch the new braintrust start to build and mold the team in their vision. I can't wait to see how it unfolds.

Ziggy
01-24-2009, 09:22 AM
This draft is intriguing not only because of the Goodmans, but because there are more than a few possible impact players on defense, and most should be there with the 12th pick. At least we're not reliving last year's pre-draft debate of, "Why the Broncos should or shouldn't use thier #1 pick on a RB instead of an OT.".... speaking of which, whatever happened to BossHog?

LRtagger
01-24-2009, 10:53 AM
I'm so pissed that NFL network got this game...this game should be on broadcast television :mad:

Ziggy
01-24-2009, 10:59 AM
I'm so pissed that NFL network got this game...this game should be on broadcast television :mad:

There was a link floating around for a while last year that would allow you to watch the NFLN from the internet. Anyone have one that works now?

SmilinAssasSin27
01-24-2009, 11:54 AM
don't trade up for anyone in round 1. MAYBE back into the end of round 1, but it costs too much to move up from #12.

Max Power
01-24-2009, 12:08 PM
don't trade up for anyone in round 1. MAYBE back into the end of round 1, but it costs too much to move up from #12.

There's no one worth trading up for anyway, including Raji (who I have questions about as a 3-4 NT).

SmilinAssasSin27
01-24-2009, 01:48 PM
yeah...we don't need OTs or QBs.