PDA

View Full Version : John Fox: Coach of the Year?

camdisco24
12-03-2011, 09:37 PM
http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/7306160/should-broncos-john-fox-coach-year

But if the Denver Broncos win the AFC West, or even if they make the playoffs as a wild card, John Fox should be Coach of the Year. In his first season with the Broncos, Fox has rebuilt the defense, switching from a 3-4 to a 4-3, and made a radical midseason shift, benching quarterback Kyle Orton for Tim Tebow and an option-heavy offense. It probably won't work forever -- this is a passing league, after all -- but Tebow is working right now.

Fox doesn't want the credit, but he deserves it.

I think no matter how we finish, most of us will be pretty happy with this season. Especially considering how low we had our standards.

Just the fact that we are talking about the playoffs, pro-bowl, Rookie of the year awards, and now Coach of the Year awards makes me pretty proud of this team who has had to overcome so much. :salute:

So, thoughts on John Fox? Do you like his style? Should he be in COTY talks?

Northman
12-03-2011, 09:41 PM
Still too early to say on Fox, but i am glad the team was able to regroup and grind out some wins this year so far. If they can win the division and make the playoffs than i think Fox deserves some consideration for COTY.

wayninja
12-03-2011, 09:44 PM
Agreed, I'm not sure wildcard spot justifies COTY, we need to win the division. If we do that, he should be a candidate. We actually have to win it though, it doesn't really count if we are 500 and Oakland just lays a huge egg...

camdisco24
12-03-2011, 09:47 PM
Yeah, I agree we have to make a run for him to truly be in the talks.

Maybe he can do what he did in Carolina and bring us to the Superbowl his second year with the team. I'd be cool with that.

Statistician
12-03-2011, 09:49 PM
Agreed, I'm not sure wildcard spot justifies COTY, we need to win the division. If we do that, he should be a candidate. We actually have to win it though, it doesn't really count if we are 500 and Oakland just lays a huge egg...

No, no, and no. He does not qualify whatsoever to be COTY even if they did enter the playoffs. He is a terrible coach.

camdisco24
12-03-2011, 09:52 PM
No, no, and no. He does not qualify whatsoever to be COTY even if they did enter the playoffs. He is a terrible coach.

What makes you say this? Just curious...

Did you by any chance experience the midget clown we used to have running this team? That's what I call terrible.

BroncoTech
12-03-2011, 09:52 PM
We have to see how the season plays out but when you start talking about doing more with less, Fox has to be the one.

I remember a thread earlier this season complaining how Fox wasn't having the success that first year couch Harbaugh was having with the niners. But the niners were under achieving and very talented for years, so it's not a fair comparison. Fox walked into a rummage sale.

Statistician
12-03-2011, 09:55 PM
What makes you say this? Just curious...

Did you by any chance experience the midget clown we used to have running this team? That's what I call terrible.

Right now...John Fox is NOT a Super Bowl winning coach. He couldn't translate talent to a Super Bowl win with the Carolina Panthers 2003 team.

camdisco24
12-03-2011, 10:00 PM
Right now...John Fox is NOT a Super Bowl winning coach. He couldn't translate talent to a Super Bowl win with the Carolina Panthers 2003 team.

Well... yeah, no one said he was a Superbowl winning coach. In 2003 they weren't really expected to be a SB team... but we're talking Broncos now.

Why is he a terrible coach for the Broncos? That's what I'm asking. You may be right, I just want to know your reasoning behind it since I have a different stance.

vettesplus
12-03-2011, 10:00 PM
i think it really depends on what the 49ers do this year....

BORDERLINE
12-03-2011, 10:05 PM
The 49ers have the COTY. That team was left in shambles much less than our though but still 2nd seed in the NFC behind the invincible Pack.

Fox does deserve some consideration. There's also Lewis with the Bengals have to see how that on plays out, Even Jackson with the Faiders wish him the worst but i'm being objective and seeing that he has the team winning after losing their key starters deserves a mention as well.

Statistician
12-03-2011, 10:07 PM
Well... yeah, no one said he was a Superbowl winning coach. In 2003 they weren't really expected to be a SB team... but we're talking Broncos now.

Why is he a terrible coach for the Broncos? That's what I'm asking. You may be right, I just want to know your reasoning behind it since I have a different stance.

I just think he is a "terrible" coach because he is a sub .500 coach that usually cannot win the "big" games when they count. I think his play calling is pretty obvious...

camdisco24
12-03-2011, 10:12 PM
I just think he is a "terrible" coach because he is a sub .500 coach that usually cannot win the "big" games when they count. I think his play calling is pretty obvious...

Fair enough. I think his biggest downfall in Carolina was his love for Jake Delhomme, and a HORRID front office.

Maybe with Tebow he can overcome not winning the big games when it counts. Lot's still TBD with him in Denver.

Play calling is a good point, but when his style works, its hard to complain. I'm all for a pound-it style offense... when it works.

Davii
12-03-2011, 10:28 PM

When did he take over play calling duties from our coordinators? I must've missed that.

wayninja
12-03-2011, 10:42 PM

You do know that Fox is no longer at Carolina, right? Furthermore, you do know what the OTY in COTY means, right?

BeefStew25
12-03-2011, 11:23 PM
I personally like his ability to adjust and not be stubborn, in a profession that oftentimes defines stubborn.

His agenda may be a bit different that 7's. And that is good. 7 thinks lomg term, Fox thinks weekly.

4-12 to a possible playoff shot arouses me. Especially since I just got a playoff invoice in the mail. This one feels a little better than the 6-0 bullshit.

Nuglet_McJunior
12-04-2011, 12:24 AM
Maybe if he'd stop making dumb decisions when the game is on the line that almost cost us the game I'd agree.

Davii
12-04-2011, 12:29 AM
Maybe if he'd stop making dumb decisions when the game is on the line that almost cost us the game I'd agree.

Yes, you're right, he should've gone for it just like the Falcons did against the Saints... It turned out great for them.

Why don't you put in an application with Bowlen? You could lead us to the promised land!

:rolleyes:

vhatever
12-04-2011, 12:38 AM
"benching quarterback Kyle Orton for Tim Tebow"

But you can't forget the whole "playing orton to begin with".

Kinda like shooting someone in the chest and then "saving them" by calling an ambulance. Should you get a medal or a prison term?

SM19
12-04-2011, 12:58 AM
The 49ers have the COTY. That team was left in shambles much less than our though but still 2nd seed in the NFC behind the invincible Pack.

Fox does deserve some consideration. There's also Lewis with the Bengals have to see how that on plays out, Even Jackson with the Faiders wish him the worst but i'm being objective and seeing that he has the team winning after losing their key starters deserves a mention as well.

I was going to say, too, that Harbaugh is the runaway winner of the award this year. I don't know if it's a happy accident or if he's just that smart, but he's done a fantastic job getting every last bit of value out of the talent he has.

Nuglet_McJunior
12-04-2011, 01:02 AM
Yes, you're right, he should've gone for it just like the Falcons did against the Saints... It turned out great for them.

Why don't you put in an application with Bowlen? You could lead us to the promised land!

:rolleyes:The Falcons weren't good enough to beat the Saints no matter what. If you can't go one yard against the defense, you don't deserve to win the football game. I guarantee the game would have been over much quicker if Fox would have gone for it. They couldn't stop us. Those kind of decisions are going to bite us in the ass one of these days. And that's the only decision I'm referring to...

wayninja
12-04-2011, 01:13 AM
The Falcons weren't good enough to beat the Saints no matter what. If you can't go one yard against the defense, you don't deserve to win the football game. I guarantee the game would have been over much quicker if Fox would have gone for it. They couldn't stop us. Those kind of decisions are going to bite us in the ass one of these days. And that's the only decision I'm referring to...

On the one hand I agree with you, he should have gone for it in my opinion. However, that doesn't mean that not going for it was 'dumb'. It was a gut call, and he went with his gut to rely on his defense. Ultimately, it worked out. Miller made a great play when we needed it to push them just out of accuracy range.

Hardly a reason to call his coaching 'dumb'.

wayninja
12-04-2011, 01:28 AM
I was going to say, too, that Harbaugh is the runaway winner of the award this year. I don't know if it's a happy accident or if he's just that smart, but he's done a fantastic job getting every last bit of value out of the talent he has.

Harbaugh will probably end up with it, but I'm not as convinced he deserves it over some of the others. Sure, the 49ers were not in great shape last year, but we were in worse shape. The 49ers have been dramatically worse than us over the last 5 years meaning their team has had the benefit of higher drafts over that time.

There's a lot of talent there for Harbaugh to work with. Fox changed the defensive scheme in the limited offseason, QB's and offensive schemes mid season and, fingers crossed, may end up winning the division after starting 1-4. That's a more impressive display of active coaching in my opinion considering how weak the NFC west is. But I'm not dismissing what Harbaugh has done either.

I Eat Staples
12-04-2011, 01:54 AM
I love Fox, but I think he deserves to finish second to Jim Harbaugh. Nobody expected San Fran to play this well.

HORSEPOWER 56
12-04-2011, 10:27 AM
I love Fox, but I think he deserves to finish second to Jim Harbaugh. Nobody expected San Fran to play this well.

I agree that Harbaugh has the upper hand right now, but Fox should be in the discussion. SF also plays in the worst division in the NFL by far (worse than ours) and has had a pretty favorable schedule. With the exception of the Ravens game last week, most of their tough games have been at home.

Harbaugh will get it as of now because he's more a of a media darling, but we did just pick #2 overall. We'll see how the last 5 weeks of the season turn out. If we win 4/5 and the 49ers hit some kind of skid, Fox may have a chance.

FlyByU
12-04-2011, 10:28 AM
I am slowly coming around to Fox and he did some hard decisions the last few games that make me feel more comfortable with him as HC. I feel he is a loser but he is winning here with avg talent what would he be able to do with good-great talent.

Only thing killing his COTY is McCoy, and his dumb or is it foolish way of calling plays? McCoy seems to call the wrong ones more then the right ones, and Fox as the HC he needs to tell him to step up like the rest of the team has this year.

The O running under his play selection it is amazing we have won any games at all this year. The DC and other coaches Hats Off to them for doing such a great job, also to the D players. Hats off to the O players that get feed huge servings of crap plays and some how make them work enough to win which is a miracle in itself, and a testament to the O players will to win by adapting, improvising, and overcoming a foolish OC.

gregbroncs
12-04-2011, 10:33 AM
"benching quarterback Kyle Orton for Tim Tebow"

But you can't forget the whole "playing orton to begin with".

Kinda like shooting someone in the chest and then "saving them" by calling an ambulance. Should you get a medal or a prison term?

To be fair most of the fans on this site knew the team better than him when the season started. He had limited exposure and limited knowledge of the team due to the lockout and his ability to communicate with the players.

I am willing to give him a pass on the beginning of the season due to some of these things.

The turnaround the defense has made tells me that this may have been a bigger factor than I thought it would be.

FlyByU
12-04-2011, 10:49 AM
The turnaround the defense has made tells me that this may have been a bigger factor than I thought it would be.

I wonder if it isn't Allen that is doing the huge turn around for the D not Fox. Fox could be the reason but Allen is the guy calling the right plays at the right time.

Look at the O. Fox I am sure doesn't have much to do with the play calling and the play-calling is horrible most of the time not so on the D side of the ball.

If only McCoy would be a better play caller his Offensive scheme might be a ton better.

I base this on how everyone says Fox has nothing to do with the play calling it's all McCoy or Allen calling the plays.

gregbroncs
12-04-2011, 11:53 AM
I wonder if it isn't Allen that is doing the huge turn around for the D not Fox. Fox could be the reason but Allen is the guy calling the right plays at the right time.

Look at the O. Fox I am sure doesn't have much to do with the play calling and the play-calling is horrible most of the time not so on the D side of the ball.

If only McCoy would be a better play caller his Offensive scheme might be a ton better.

I base this on how everyone says Fox has nothing to do with the play calling it's all McCoy or Allen calling the plays.

That is fair.

I am sure Fox has some say. Allen also had little time with the defense.

McCoy on the other had should have known the personnel. I wonder how much say the coordinators have in who plays and how much of that is on the coach. For a position like QB I would think the head coach would need to be the one to make the switch. Also to make a decision big enough to revamp the entire offense around that switch, you would think Fox had a major say in that.

silkamilkamonico
12-04-2011, 04:59 PM
IMHO, I think Kubiack from Houston is a clear favorite.

He's never made the playoffs and in a playoff or bust year of his contract, he has lost his starting QB, his backup QB, his best defensive player in Williams who is arguably one of the best in the NFL, his All Pro WR for an extended amount of games, his All Pro RB for an extended amount of games, and he's sitting atop the AFCSouth at 9-3.

Kubiack easily IMHO.