PDA

View Full Version : Sega-Calling All Classic Gamers!

Shazam!
01-22-2009, 11:23 PM
I always went a different way back in the day with video games.

After the Atari meltdown of the 80's and the 8-Bit era began, I had a Sega Master System instead of a Nintendo... They used to have a free help line for tips and cheats, 1-800-USA-SEGA. We'll never see something like that again!

When the 16-Bit era began, I was the first to have a Turbografx16 and the last when Genesis slaughtered it. Then I got a used Genesis from a friend who bought a Super Nintendo.

I was also the first idiot around my neighborhood to have a console made by a company that had no idea how to make games and was supposedly doomed to fail by industry analysts, in a market dominated by Sega and Nintendo... I bought this thing called the Playstation, and the first games I had was Battle Arena Toshinden and NFL Gameday.

I think this is a great compilation by Sega! Some games are only worth playing for like an hour or less, but I remember Altered Beast and Golden Axe when it was the hotness in the arcade.

SONIC'S ULTIMATE GENESIS COLLECTION

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/0/02/Sonic_Ultimate_Genesis_Collection.jpg/250px-Sonic_Ultimate_Genesis_Collection.jpg

THE LARGEST SEGA GENESIS COLLECTION TO DATE!

Take a trip back in time with over 40 titles from the SEGA Genesis™ era, including your Sonic The Hedgehog favorites, for only $29.95! In classic single-player and multiplayer battles, you’ll take down a huge variety of enemies, including Sonic’s nemesis Dr. Eggman (AKA Dr. Robotnik), shuriken-flinging ninjas, hordes of altered beasts and the world’s greatest fighting champions.

FEATURES:

• THE LARGEST COLLECTION OF CLASSIC SEGA TITLES. All the favorites are here including Sonic The Hedgehog, titles from the Phantasy Star™ series, as well as three titles from the Streets of Rage™ series, to name a few.

• UNLOCKABLE CONTENT. Unlock arcade games and interviews with the original game developers as you earn Achievements on the Xbox 360® and Trophies on the PLAYSTATION®3.

• ALL TITLES UPGRADED TO HI-DEF. The classic 2D style never looked so good! Each of the titles has been converted to hi-def (720p) and will be a blast to play using the intuitive controls of the Xbox 360® and PLAYSTATION®3 systems.

• MASSIVE MULTIPLAYER OPTIONS. Play these classics together with a friend from the same console at home.

GAMES INCLUDE:

Alex Kidd in the Enchanted Castle
Alien Storm
Altered Beast
Beyond Oasis
Bonanza Bros.
Columns
Comix Zone
Decap Attack starring Chuck D. Head
Dr. Robotnik's MBM
Dynamite Headdy
Ecco the Dolphin
Ecco II: The Tides of Time
E-SWAT
Fatal Labyrinth
Flicky
Gain Ground
Golden Axe I
Golden Axe II
Golden Axe III
Kid Chameleon
Phantasy Star II
Phantasy Star III: Generations of Doom
Phantasy Star IV: The End of the Millennium
Ristar
Shining in the Darkness
Shining Force
Shining Force 2
Shinobi III: Return of the Ninja Master
Sonic 3D Blast
Sonic and Knuckles
Sonic Spinball
Sonic the Hedgehog
Sonic the Hedgehog 2
Sonic the Hedgehog 3
Streets of Rage
Streets of Rage 2
Streets of Rage 3
Super Thunder Blade
Vectorman
Vectorman 2

*Unlockable games to be revealed soon! (Phantasy Star)

Worldwide on 2/11/09- $29.99 MSRP
http://www.sega.com/games/sonics-ultimate-genesis-collection/

I think this is great, $30 for 40 classic games! A few classics are missing that surprise me, but it's still a lot of stuff here. I'm definitely getting this.

MasterShake
01-22-2009, 11:51 PM
I always went a different way back in the day with video games.

After the Atari meltdown of the 80's and the 8-Bit era began, I had a Sega Master System instead of a Nintendo... They used to have a free help line for tips and cheats, 1-800-USA-SEGA. We'll never see something like that again!

When the 16-Bit era began, I was the first to have a Turbografx16 and the last when Genesis slaughtered it. Then I got a used Genesis from a friend who bought a Super Nintendo.

I was also the first idiot around my neighborhood to have a console made by a company that had no idea how to make games and was supposedly doomed to fail by industry analysts, in a market dominated by Sega and Nintendo... I bought this thing called the Playstation, and the first games I had was Battle Arena Toshinden and NFL Gameday.

I think this is a great compilation by Sega! Some games are only worth playing for like an hour or less, but I remember Altered Beast and Golden Axe when it was the hotness in the arcade.

I think this is great, $30 for 40 classic games! A few classics are missing that surprise me, but it's still a lot of stuff here. I'm definitely getting this.

Thats awesome. I always buy games like Midways greatest hits and the Sega Collections. Good stuff.

Benetto
01-22-2009, 11:56 PM
Vectorman is worth 30.00 in itself...

Good buy Shazam!

MasterShake
01-22-2009, 11:57 PM
The only game its missing that I would like to see is Gunstar Heroes.

Benetto
01-23-2009, 12:03 AM
I remember when MK1 came out for the Genesis...I was jumping off of the walls. I remember Xmas day being so over stimulated switching between Street fighter on SNES and MK1 on Genesis with my cousins. Ahh Good times.

Shame that MK1 isn't included.

Shazam!
01-23-2009, 01:15 AM
I wish there was more Master System games on there though, they should put out a collection of that too. The original Phantasy Star is unlockable, and an RPG inspiration that rivaled only FF and the original Dragon Warrior at the time.

Shazam!
01-23-2009, 02:03 AM
Also I saw screens of Space Harrier on the Site, I don't know if it's on there as unlockable.

MasterShake
01-23-2009, 09:41 AM
I remember when MK1 came out for the Genesis...I was jumping off of the walls. I remember Xmas day being so over stimulated switching between Street fighter on SNES and MK1 on Genesis with my cousins. Ahh Good times.

Shame that MK1 isn't included.

Midway Arcade Treasures has all 3 MK in arcade form, and games like NARC. Probably like $10 for PS2 or Xbox. I have it somewhere for Gamecube.

Thnikkaman
01-23-2009, 11:33 AM
This would be really cool. I had an SNES, but wanted to play all of the games that were Sega exclusives. I don't care about the Sonic games, but to get to play through Phantasy Star would be awesome.

Shazam!
01-23-2009, 12:44 PM
Phantasy Star, even the first one was simply great. It was the premier RPG series through that time, maybe even moreso than Final Fantasy at the time.

jrelway
02-03-2009, 06:01 PM
Phantasy Star, even the first one was simply great. It was the premier RPG series through that time, maybe even moreso than Final Fantasy at the time.

that was a classic game. i liked part 2 even more. the classic boomerang weapon that slashed all enemies on the screen.

Shazam!
02-04-2009, 12:36 AM
When Nei got killed fighting her twin (or whatever, I don't remember) that was one of the first shocks I felt of the chick of the party getting killed, way before Aeris in FFVII.

PSII was great. I'm getting this for sure. A lot of game for little coin.

Shazam!
02-14-2009, 02:27 AM
I just picked this up with Onechanbara yesterday. Ultimate Genesis Collection (360/PS3) is $30 and a steal if you played these legendary games back in the day.

http://wiimedia.ign.com/wii/image/object/142/14286204/Sonics_UGC_Xbox360_ESRB1boxart_160w.jpg

SEGA GENESIS/MEGA DRIVE GAMES-

Alex Kidd in the Enchanted Castle
Phantasy Star II
Alien Storm
Phantasy Star III: Generations of Doom
Altered Beast (Genesis version)
Phantasy Star IV: The End of the Millennium
Beyond Oasis
Ristar
Bonanza Bros.
Shining Force
Columns
Shining Force 2
Comix Zone
Shining in the Darkness
Decap Attack starring Chuck D. Head
Shinobi III: Return of the Ninja Master
Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine
Sonic 3
Dynamite Headdy
Sonic 3D Blast
Ecco the Dolphin
Sonic & Knuckles
Ecco: The Tides of Time
Sonic Spinball
E-SWAT
Sonic The Hedgehog
Fatal Labyrinth
Sonic The Hedgehog 2
Flicky
Streets of Rage
Gain Ground
Streets of Rage 2
Golden Axe
Streets of Rage 3
Golden Axe II
Super Thunder Blade
Golden Axe III
Vectorman
Kid Chameleon
Vectorman 2

SEGA MASTER SYSTEM/ARCADE GAMES (UNLOCKABLE)

Golden Axe Warrior
Altered Beast (arcade version)
Phantasy Star
Congo Bongo
Shinobi
Space Harrier
Alien Syndrome
Fantasy Zone
Zaxxon

Space Harrier, Shinobi, Alien Syndrome, Altered Beast and Zaxxon are the actual arcade games. These games are worth $30 alone. A great collection, IMO the best compilation disc out there. A whole lot of games at about 70 cents each.

Shazam!
02-17-2009, 02:10 AM
Alien Syndrome is not as fun as I thought it would be. I have found this to be the case in a lot of these games, which I should have expected.

Golden Axe isn't a good translation. It isn't even the Genesis version. I think it's one of the lesser remakes or the Master System version from an older Sega collection from PS2.

The arcade Altered Beast is good fun and I had good memories beating that again. It's way better than the Genesis version that is included. Why they include both, idk?

Arcade Shinobi is still fun and a perfect arcade translation. Plays exactly as I remember and better than the console versions of the time. Space Harrier is way better than either console iteration, and an arcade translation.

Waiting for my gf to help me unlock the original Phantasy Star.

Streets of Rage is still fun, but again proves to be the best Final Fight ripoff.

Why they didn't include Thunderforce 2, Afterburner, Wonderboy 2 or 3, Outrun, Herzog Zwei or Sword of Vermillion idk.

Thnikkaman
02-17-2009, 11:02 AM
Oh, I miss outrun. Such a fun game.

MasterShake
02-17-2009, 11:54 AM
Alien Syndrome is not as fun as I thought it would be. I have found this to be the case in a lot of these games, which I should have expected.

Golden Axe isn't a good translation. It isn't even the Genesis version. I think it's one of the lesser remakes or the Master System version from an older Sega collection from PS2.

The arcade Altered Beast is good fun and I had good memories beating that again. It's way better than the Genesis version that is included. Why they include both, idk?

Arcade Shinobi is still fun and a perfect arcade translation. Plays exactly as I remember and better than the console versions of the time. Space Harrier is way better than either console iteration, and an arcade translation.

Waiting for my gf to help me unlock the original Phantasy Star.

Streets of Rage is still fun, but again proves to be the best Final Fight ripoff.

Why they didn't include Thunderforce 2, Afterburner, Wonderboy 2 or 3, Outrun, Herzog Zwei or Sword of Vermillion idk.

Memories are often better than the actual product. I think thats why many were upset with the new Star Wars movies! :laugh: (I loved them all myself)

Anyway, I fired up my old NES emulator on my laptop today and played Punch Out for about 2 hours. Its amazing how the old simple games still hold up today. I trade in xbox 360 games like crazy, but I go back once a year to play Zelda, Mario, and Sonic all the time. Hopefully Street Fighter IV, which I'm getting today, will have that kind of staying power. I still play SFII on XBLA all the time. I actually think I spend more time on Live Arcade with PacMan, Galaga, and Street Fighter II HD Remix than I did on Halo or COD4!

I love me some new games, don't get me wrong, but sometimes it feels like watching a movie with a few button inputs here and there.

Timmy!
02-17-2009, 04:10 PM
Must own genesis collection......

EastCoastBronco
02-18-2009, 06:04 PM
Anybody remember Splatterhouse? I can't remember which platform it was on but I lost a lot of hours sleep with it....

MasterShake
02-18-2009, 07:09 PM
Anybody remember Splatterhouse? I can't remember which platform it was on but I lost a lot of hours sleep with it....

Yup. Sega had three sequels. Remake coming soon from what I read in GameInformer.

NameUsedBefore
02-19-2009, 11:36 AM
Beyond Sonic and I think Lion King there's only one game I can really remember and I think it was "General Chaos" or something similar. If you hooked in an app you could get up to four people playing and you basically all had a squad and would try to wipe out the other guys. It was really cartoony and omg hilarious when everyone was playing.

Shazam!
02-19-2009, 02:47 PM
The original Splatterhouse for the Turbografx16 was one of the first games I remember that had a warning label on it for parents. The game was great fun.

Genesis had a lot of great games. Some are not on the disc which I do not exactly understand why, including soem Master System games.