PDA

View Full Version : Who was the most successful "traded" Bronco?

East Coast Fan
01-22-2009, 09:06 PM
Trying to think what player(s) that we traded that actually had some success for other teams; who was the most successful? Portis? Desmond Clark? Alzado? Griese? Romo? I'm sure that I'm missing someone... I'd have to say Alzado since he won a Super Bowl ring with the Raiders. Your thoughts....

MOtorboat
01-22-2009, 09:07 PM
Was Griese traded? I guess for some reason I thought we just let go of him.

Portis...I guess Alzado because of the Super Bowl.

I know our most successful trade...:D

East Coast Fan
01-22-2009, 09:11 PM
Was Griese traded? I guess for some reason I thought we just let go of him.

Portis...I guess Alzado because of the Super Bowl.

I know our most successful trade...:D

Yes, maybe I should say "who is the most successful EX-Bronco"-that would be more appropriate!! :D

topscribe
01-22-2009, 09:20 PM
Willie Brown.

-----

SR
01-22-2009, 09:28 PM
You could argue that the most successful ex Broncos were Shannon Sharpe and Trevor Pryce since they both went to Baltimore and won a Super Bowl.

topscribe
01-22-2009, 09:33 PM
Willie Brown played collegiate football at Grambling University and was not drafted by any professional team after leaving school in 1963. He was signed by the Houston Oilers of the American Football League but was cut from the team during training camp.

He was then signed by the AFL's Denver Broncos and became a starter by the middle of his rookie season. He won All-AFL honors in his second season and played in the AFL All-Star Game, recording 9 interceptions for 144 yards.

In 1967, Brown was traded to the AFL's Oakland Raiders and would spend the remainder of his career there. He served as defensive captain for 10 of his 12 years with the team. He was named to 5 AFL All-Star games and 4 NFL Pro Bowls. He was also named All-AFL 3 times and All-NFL 4 times.

Perhaps Brown's most memorable moment as a Raider came during Super Bowl XI, when he intercepted a Fran Tarkenton pass and returned it a Super Bowl-record 75 yards for a touchdown. His record would stand for 29 years until it was broken by Kelly Herndon's 76-yard interception return in Super Bowl XL.

Willie Brown retired after the 1978 season, and finished his Raiders career with 39 interceptions, tied for first all-time on the team. Overall, he finished his 16 Pro Football seasons with 54 interceptions, which he returned for 472 yards and 2 touchdowns. He also recovered 3 fumbles.

He is a member of the American Football League All-Time Team and was inducted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame on July 28, 1984, his first year of eligibility. In 1999, he was ranked number 50 on The Sporting News' list of the 100 Greatest Football Players, making him the highest-ranking Raider player.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Willie_Brown_(American_football)

No Denver Bronco, past or present, outside John Elway, has ever achieved the
accolades Willie Brown did. Some, in fact, still consider him the G.O.A.T. of
cornerbacks.

-----

broncos4life88
01-22-2009, 09:35 PM
It's got to be hands down Portis IMO and he is still playing rather well...he has unfortunate luck that he is in a pretty tough division, and doesn't have a great supporting cast around him...otherwise he would've probaly won a Super Bowl by now.

Benetto
01-22-2009, 09:35 PM
You could argue that the most successful ex Broncos were Shannon Sharpe and Trevor Pryce since they both went to Baltimore and won a Super Bowl.
Trevor didn't win one w/ Bmore.

SR
01-22-2009, 09:38 PM
Trevor didn't win one w/ Bmore.

You're right. He went there after the fact. Just got done looking that up. Sharpe did though, then came back to Denver and retired.

Benetto
01-22-2009, 09:39 PM
You're right. He went there after the fact. Just got done looking that up. Sharpe did though, then came back to Denver and retired.
Sharpe has to be the one...He is top 3 Best TE in NFL History...

broncos4life88
01-22-2009, 09:47 PM
Sharpe has to be the one...He is top 3 Best TE in NFL History...

Ya he definately is one of the best, but I based my opinion on the fact that in my mind he was never traded. :D Besides he traded away for a year and Portis has been gone for a couple years and has racked up thousands of yards during that time. Shannon on the other hand was fortunate enough to land on a suberb team at the time and really didn't have all that great of a year, and how really did he compliment that team? With or without Sharpe they would've finished the year with the Lombardi Trophy in their hands.

Poet
01-22-2009, 09:47 PM
Elway, was he not traded to the Broncos in some form or another? :D

broncos4life88
01-22-2009, 09:49 PM
Elway, was he not traded to the Broncos in some form or another? :D

We're talking about people who were traded AWAY from the Broncos if I am correct. But a good thing to note anyways.

Poet
01-22-2009, 09:53 PM
We're talking about people who were traded AWAY from the Broncos if I am correct. But a good thing to note anyways.

All I saw was traded and broncos.

He was traded, he was a bronco. :D

I'll stop being a jerk now. :elefant::elefant:

nj10
01-22-2009, 09:54 PM

Pryce didn't...

EDIT: already been noted...my bad.

Dreadnought
01-22-2009, 09:55 PM
I'm with Top - Willie Brown, without a question. Another dumb personel move by the 60's Broncos, like trading two 1sts for Steve Tensi.

Poet
01-22-2009, 09:58 PM
I'm with Top - Willie Brown, without a question. Another dumb personel move by the 60's Broncos, like trading two 1sts for Steve Tensi.

I am unfamiliar with him, what position did he play?

topscribe
01-22-2009, 10:00 PM

In other words, you did not read any of my post, King?

For further info, you can follow the link in it . . .

-----

Dreadnought
01-22-2009, 10:11 PM

Top already talked about Willie Brown. Tensi was our QB from 67 - 70, He was the backup QB for the Chargers, and we gave away the store to get him. Sadly, he was totally immobile, and the Broncos O-line in those days was a line in name only, so his amazing arm was of zero use.

NameUsedBefore
01-22-2009, 10:17 PM
Willie Brown who I mistakenly referred to as "Louis Wright" like a billion times on Broncomania.

Benetto
01-22-2009, 10:21 PM
Ya he definately is one of the best, but I based my opinion on the fact that in my mind he was never traded. :D Besides he traded away for a year and Portis has been gone for a couple years and has racked up thousands of yards during that time. Shannon on the other hand was fortunate enough to land on a suberb team at the time and really didn't have all that great of a year, and how really did he compliment that team? With or without Sharpe they would've finished the year with the Lombardi Trophy in their hands.

Shannon was more integral to the Broncos than Clinton was. And more successful over-all...JMHO...

If we are talking about who did better for the other team after the trade, it would have to be neither. Clinton never hit the 1500 mark with Wash.

With Denver, in 2 years he rushed for 1591, and 1508.

Devilspawn
01-22-2009, 11:24 PM
I say Willie Brown over Sharpe and Portis by a mile. Not a homer statement... ok just a little. :D

Shannon got his ring with the Ravens, but he's more remembered and considered as a Bronco since he got two there.

Portis is doing great, but he's not going to sniff a conference title in Washington anytime soon and he may have had a better career in Denver.

Willie Brown is an all-time corner in the NFL, not just in Oakland. Went on to have a HOF career. 12-42-2 record in Denver, 128-35-7 record in Oakland. Is considered one of our best players of all-time and most importantly, still collecting lifetime checks from the Raider boss upstairs. In terms of success before and after the trade, Brown has a huge advantage.

Lancane
01-22-2009, 11:25 PM
Jake Plummer...

Yes, I said it! Why? Because he helped Cutler get into the game by sucking so bad his last year here, now that was success...now he has all the time to play handball!

:laugh:

sneakers
01-23-2009, 01:11 AM
Didn't Chris Hinton have a good career with the Colts?

edit: He went to 7 pro bowls after being traded for elway.

topscribe
01-23-2009, 01:19 AM

Chris Hinton had a fantastic career. Playing for the Colts, Falcons, and finally
the Vikings, he went to 7 Pro Bowls and was named to the All-Pro team once,
in 1993.

I would rate him second to Willie Brown in players who were sucessful after
being traded from the Broncos, albeit a distant second. Nothing against
Hinton; it's just that Willie Brown is a legend.

-----

Lonestar
01-23-2009, 01:30 AM
Top already talked about Willie Brown. Tensi was our QB from 67 - 70, He was the backup QB for the Chargers, and we gave away the store to get him. Sadly, he was totally immobile, and the Broncos O-line in those days was a line in name only, so his amazing arm was of zero use.

it was so bad after that first year he actually flinched every time he took a snap and he dropped back to pass. that was the key for the the Pass Rush to come stronger than normal..

he had a cannon for an arm.. but was at best immobile.. was a big tall blond surfer looking type from CA.. 6'3' plus IIRC..

Lonestar
01-23-2009, 01:33 AM

edit: He went to 7 pro bowls after being traded for elway.

not sure he was ever a Bronco other than being drafted by us.. Not sure he ever signed a contract here..

But he was a great player for the Colts..

topscribe
01-23-2009, 01:37 AM
it was so bad after that first year he actually flinched every time he took a snap and he dropped back to pass. that was the key for the the Pass Rush to come stronger than normal..

he had a cannon for an arm.. but was at best immobile.. was a big tall blond surfer looking type from CA.. 6'3' plus IIRC..

Immobile? If he got any slower as a runner, he'd have to stop to speed up.
Tensi did have a howitzer arm, but he desparately needed a superior O-line.

-----

Lonestar
01-23-2009, 04:16 AM

-----

hells bells warm bodies would have done better..

One of the early one from the Broncos wound up my HS football coach. When I thnk about it now it is scary, at the time he was God..

Dirk
01-23-2009, 07:11 AM
Just to "note" someone else. I couldn't understand why we let him go in the first place but Bertrand Berry. The year after he left he went to the Pro Bowl. And is doing just fine in Arizona. Albeit a little banged up here and there.

Den21vsBal19
01-23-2009, 07:54 AM
Chris Hinton ~ 7 Pro Bowls whilst at Indy

PatricktheDookie
01-23-2009, 08:00 AM
Wait... Sharpe was traded?

I thought he signed with Baltimore.

tomjonesrocks
01-23-2009, 09:01 AM
Why does it have to be a trade? Can it be someone we should have kept and/or paid?
Hard for me to say as far as "all time" goes--been following the Broncos since '82 and that would take a lot of research.

I will say with our pathetic defense now I miss every defensive guy that was productive for us that we chose not to keep/re-sign.

Specifically I wasn't happy Bertrand Berry went to Arizona and had 14.5 sacks in 2004. His numbers have diminished since--but is part of a Super Bowl defense now and we should have retained him.

And Pryce has been solid for Baltimore as many have mentioned.

atwater27
01-23-2009, 09:05 AM
3 that pissed me off that we let go were Bertrand Berry, Deltha Oneal and Domenik Hixon.

GEM
01-23-2009, 10:23 AM
3 that pissed me off that we let go were Bertrand Berry, Deltha Oneal and Domenik Hixon.

Domenk Hixon is one that you didn't feel bad about at the time, but after seeing him perform in a better system, it stung.

broncofaninfla
01-23-2009, 10:27 AM
Trade I'd go with Willie Brown, awesome player for those who don't know
Free Agent I'd go with Sharpe, 3 rings, one after he left, add top that the incredable catch he made against us in the play offs AND we signed him back to prove it was a mistake to let him go in the first place.

Lonestar
01-23-2009, 12:12 PM
Just to "note" someone else. I couldn't understand why we let him go in the first place but Bertrand Berry. The year after he left he went to the Pro Bowl. And is doing just fine in Arizona. Albeit a little banged up here and there.

mikey like Offense and has never been strong on D..

Lonestar
01-23-2009, 12:33 PM

berry and Hixon yes

delta NOT, he did not have a CB mentality that great CB have. he would make a great play and then two or less plays later give up a bigger play.. Never ever developed the forget the last play and move on train of thought....

Lonestar
01-23-2009, 12:36 PM
Trade I'd go with Willie Brown, awesome player for those who don't know
Free Agent I'd go with Sharpe, 3 rings, one after he left, add top that the incredable catch he made against us in the play offs AND we signed him back to prove it was a mistake to let him go in the first place.

we signed him back for two reason so he could retire as a bronco and mikey needed someone to mentor greasy in being a real human being.. he was disliked by his teamates for being "brain and a loner" since greasy was mikeys boy he needed to try and salvage him.. who better to do that than shannon the guy that everyone liked..

Bronco Bible
01-23-2009, 12:47 PM

-----

A question Tops, do you think he was more immobile than Phillip Rivers? If he was........ his picture should be in the dictionary.

Bronco Bible
01-23-2009, 12:49 PM
Wait... Sharpe was traded?

I thought he signed with Baltimore.

I think you are right........I thought f/a

topscribe
01-23-2009, 01:45 PM
A question Tops, do you think he was more immobile than Phillip Rivers? If he was........ his picture should be in the dictionary.

Let me put it this way: The only way Tensi could have slowed down was to run backwards.

-----

smith49
01-23-2009, 02:52 PM
Willie Brown played collegiate football at Grambling University and was not drafted by any professional team after leaving school in 1963. He was signed by the Houston Oilers of the American Football League but was cut from the team during training camp.

He was then signed by the AFL's Denver Broncos and became a starter by the middle of his rookie season. He won All-AFL honors in his second season and played in the AFL All-Star Game, recording 9 interceptions for 144 yards.

In 1967, Brown was traded to the AFL's Oakland Raiders and would spend the remainder of his career there. He served as defensive captain for 10 of his 12 years with the team. He was named to 5 AFL All-Star games and 4 NFL Pro Bowls. He was also named All-AFL 3 times and All-NFL 4 times.

Perhaps Brown's most memorable moment as a Raider came during Super Bowl XI, when he intercepted a Fran Tarkenton pass and returned it a Super Bowl-record 75 yards for a touchdown. His record would stand for 29 years until it was broken by Kelly Herndon's 76-yard interception return in Super Bowl XL.

Willie Brown retired after the 1978 season, and finished his Raiders career with 39 interceptions, tied for first all-time on the team. Overall, he finished his 16 Pro Football seasons with 54 interceptions, which he returned for 472 yards and 2 touchdowns. He also recovered 3 fumbles.

He is a member of the American Football League All-Time Team and was inducted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame on July 28, 1984, his first year of eligibility. In 1999, he was ranked number 50 on The Sporting News' list of the 100 Greatest Football Players, making him the highest-ranking Raider player.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Willie_Brown_(American_football)

No Denver Bronco, past or present, outside John Elway, has ever achieved the
accolades Willie Brown did. Some, in fact, still consider him the G.O.A.T. of
cornerbacks.

-----

wow Top, thats impressive. how do you know this stuff. i have been a broncos fan for the better part of 34 years and had no clue who Willie Brown was until i read your post. good stuff man. either you are just really smart and really into your team and its history, or you are just really old and knew Brown because you watched him play:D. or both i guess.

anyhow, i have to go with Top on this one, eventhough i had no idea who Brown was until Top posted.

topscribe
01-23-2009, 03:15 PM
wow Top, thats impressive. how do you know this stuff. i have been a broncos fan for the better part of 34 years and had no clue who Willie Brown was until i read your post. good stuff man. either you are just really smart and really into your team and its history, or you are just really old and knew Brown because you watched him play:D. or both i guess.

anyhow, i have to go with Top on this one, eventhough i had no idea who Brown was until Top posted.

I hated Willie Brown. He was a Raider, and he killed the Broncos.

But I hated the Broncos' FO even worse for letting him go.

Oh yeah . . . I watched him play, all right . . . http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh256/AZDynamics/Smilies/thannoyed-1.gif

-----

studbucket
01-23-2009, 03:30 PM

-----

I'm a little young, but from what I've read (and the old games I've seen), isn't that basically just a description of Craig Morton as well? Or was Tensi even less mobile than a broken-down Morton?

I also agree, Willie Brown is probably the hands-down choice.

Alzado was traded, but that was to the Browns. His later success came at Oakland, and his best seasons were in Denver. Except for Hinton, all of the other guys mentioned were released, not traded.

horsepig
01-23-2009, 03:33 PM
How about Cookie "Lookie Lookie here comes Cookie" Gilcrest. They let him go to the Chiefs.

topscribe
01-23-2009, 03:36 PM
I'm a little young, but from what I've read (and the old games I've seen), isn't that basically just a description of Craig Morton as well? Or was Tensi even less mobile than a broken-down Morton?

I also agree, Willie Brown is probably the hands-down choice.

Alzado was traded, but that was to the Browns. His later success came at Oakland, and his best seasons were in Denver. Except for Hinton, all of the other guys mentioned were released, not traded.

Yes, if Morton and Tensi were in a foot race, I have no idea who would have
. . . um . . . lost.

I think they ran about a 4.3 40 . . . that is, 4.3 yards in 40 seconds.

But the difference between Morton and Tensi was in the respective O-lines.
Morton had a good one. Tensi might as well not have had one at all. That,
and Morton was just a better QB.

And it doesn't really matter who was traded as opposed to released. Brown
was way above anyone else the Broncos ever let out of their grasp. Had he
stayed with the Broncos, Elway would have been the second Bronco to enter
the HOF.

-----

topscribe
01-23-2009, 03:39 PM
How about Cookie "Lookie Lookie here comes Cookie" Gilcrest. They let him go to the Chiefs.

Cookie Gilchrist was one of the most physically talented players ever to put on
a Broncos uniform. I remember one game where he was running down the
sideline with defenders coming at him head on. He didn't like to run out of
bounds, so he kept on trucking. Boom, boom, boom . . . he ran over three
defenders, one after another. Just knocked them down. He was an absolute
pleasure to watch . . . for Broncos fans, anyway.

His trouble, however, was that his elevator didn't go all the way to the top.

-----

Lonestar
01-23-2009, 06:08 PM
I hated Willie Brown. He was a Raider, and he killed the Broncos.

But I hated the Broncos' FO even worse for letting him go.

Oh yeah . . . I watched him play, all right . . . http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh256/AZDynamics/Smilies/thannoyed-1.gif

-----

same here he was great and then GONE.. and he killed us every time he played us.. got lots so boos in the old mile high..

he was one of the original BAD GUYS if I remember correctly, just mean and evil would hit anything with the ball and try to hurt them, even a few that did not have the ball.. intimidation was there game and it worked..

Lonestar
01-23-2009, 06:13 PM

-----

frankly I was never that impressed with him he was not nearly as good as he had been in BUF.. but he was better than what we had..

My older brother went to a game with me and commented that he had expected more out of the "Golden God from Buffalo" I'll never forget that comment.. but you were right he was not real bright if he was at one time he head butted someone once to many times..

Speaking of head butts anyone remember BoBo Brazil. that name popped into my mind when I said head butt..

Dean
01-23-2009, 06:13 PM

-----

That's the trouble with backs that run over defenders Boom, boom, boom. . . They sustain serious injuries. Multiple concussions take a tremendous toll on an athlete. Recent studies have shed light on just how neurologically serious these are.

Lonestar
01-23-2009, 06:40 PM
That's the trouble with backs that run over defenders Boom, boom, boom. . . They sustain serious injuries. Multiple concussions take a tremendous toll on an athlete. Recent studies have shed light on just how neurologically serious these are.

not sure he was the sharpest arrow in the quiver to start with..

Not even sure he made it through college..

if it was it had to be underwater basket weaving..

Superchop 7
01-23-2009, 09:17 PM
Lyle Alzado.

Bronco Bible
01-23-2009, 09:54 PM
frankly I was never that impressed with him he was not nearly as good as he had been in BUF.. but he was better than what we had..

My older brother went to a game with me and commented that he had expected more out of the "Golden God from Buffalo" I'll never forget that comment.. but you were right he was not real bright if he was at one time he head butted someone once to many times..

Speaking of head butts anyone remember BoBo Brazil. that name popped into my mind when I said head butt..

I remember BoBo, Jr.......but was it not a coco butt from BoBo

Cutler6MVP
01-24-2009, 09:55 AM
For the record, Romo was never a bronco.

MOtorboat
01-24-2009, 09:58 AM

He was a pretty important part to that defense.

Den21vsBal19
01-24-2009, 10:57 AM
He was a pretty important part to that defense.
We could use a bit of his brand of mean on D at the moment................

(Not the spitting, face breaking, roiding kind, but the destroy the ball carrier at all costs kind ;))

East Coast Fan
01-24-2009, 11:34 AM

Bill "Romo" Romanowski, LB in the Super Bowl "winning" years, not Tony....:D

Spider
01-24-2009, 06:07 PM
No Love for Kreg Kragen ?

Lonestar
01-24-2009, 06:11 PM
No Love for Kreg Kragen ?

where was he traded to I thought he fell off the map..

Den21vsBal19
01-24-2009, 06:14 PM
IIRC, he went to Kansas, then Carolina for a couple of years.......

MOtorboat
01-24-2009, 06:15 PM
IIRC, he went to Kansas, then Carolina for a couple of years.......

He was an expansion pick for Carolina, and I thought he was a FA to KC, but I could be wrong.

Spider
01-24-2009, 06:26 PM

He went to Buffalo , played in Some SB with them , then retired

MOtorboat
01-24-2009, 06:29 PM
He went to Buffalo , played in Some SB with them , then retired

Um, Kragen never played in Buffalo.

Ziggy
01-24-2009, 06:32 PM
Greg Kragen went from Denver to KC to Carolina, and then retired.

Cutler6MVP
01-24-2009, 06:32 PM
Bill "Romo" Romanowski, LB in the Super Bowl "winning" years, not Tony....:D

Ahhhh, thanks, was quite confused.

Spider
01-24-2009, 06:40 PM
hmmmmmm maybe it wasnt Kragen .... Or maybe I confused Buff with Carolina ......

Ziggy
01-24-2009, 07:02 PM
hmmmmmm maybe it wasnt Kragen .... Or maybe I confused Buff with Carolina ......

Or....you're like me and alzhiemers and dementia have begun to set in at the same time. Hmmm, what was that again?:confused:

Spider
01-24-2009, 07:14 PM
Or....you're like me and alzhiemers and dementia have begun to set in at the same time. Hmmm, what was that again?:confused:

:lol: the price of having 6 kids , your sanity leaves you ........Lodish came to Denver after the Bills I could have got Kragen , the Bills , Panthers , Lodish all screwed up :D ...... I do know this . my new Neighbor sucks .......Pulls a refer and the damn thing goes off every 4 hours