PDA

View Full Version : Miller isn't just Def rookie of the year, Pro Football Focus says best in a decade

Tned
12-02-2011, 08:39 AM
Very good article backed up with stats by Pro Football Focus. Makes a case that not only is Von Miller the run away defensive rookie of the year, but also should be the defensive player of the year (through 12 weeks) and is the most dominant rookie in a decade.

It’s time to start thinking of Von Miller in a new light. The Broncos rookie is running away with our rookie of the year poll, but that doesn’t come close to doing him justice. Miller has been arguably the biggest reason behind the defensive resurgence in Denver, and he really should have the rookie awards locked up; his play dominates that of any other defensive rookie, so let’s look beyond to a farther horizon.

It’s time we forgot talk of best rookie and started to think in terms of Pro-Bowl, All-Pro, maybe even Defensive Player of the Year. It sounds crazy, but there may not be a better candidate than Miller right now.

Every-down Talent

Most people think of him as just an edge rusher, but in Denver’s defense Miller is an every down player, and essentially plays two positions. In a way similar to Kamerion Wimbley for the Raiders, on early downs he’s a stand-up 4-3 outside linebacker, albeit often over-shifted to one side of the formation, but then on pass-rushing downs he rushes from his side of usually a four-man pass-rush. The difference between Miller and Wimbley in their deployment is that while Wimbley rushes almost exclusively as a conventional 4-3 defensive end with his hand in the ground, Miller will rush from a two-point stance and has only lined up as a 4-3 end on 112 of his 700 snaps. You know he’s coming, but you don’t always know when, he can just as easily drop into coverage from that stance...

Read full article here: http://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2011/12/01/stories-of-the-season-miller-much-more-than-the-roy/

Joel
12-02-2011, 09:44 AM
Nice find; it is hard to believe Miller began as a great pass rusher who's improved to a great player against the run as well, but plays like that crucial 3rd and 8 stop in OT at SD make it equally hard to deny. I know the Aggies missed him in the final game of their 115 year rivalry with Texas (and the NCAA gets that much lamer.... :tsk:) The complete nature of his game, as a blitzer, run stuffer and in pass coverage (though he's not nearly as great there) is exactly what I look for in a 4-3 Mike, and the reason I was already thinking about him for that job before the season started; if he's really up to 246 now and playing like that I see every reason to make him and Mays are #1 and #2 Mike for the next ten years; put DJ and Woodyard 1/2 at Will and all we need at Sam is a reliable run stopper (Ayers would work, but for that reason he's a much better DE than LB.)

The bottom line is that Millers presence and versatility has made the Broncos D MUCH better than last year, which has in turn taken pressure off the offense and made it much better as well. In other words, even as a rookie he's the kind of player who singlehandedly turns teams around, making the argument he's the best defender in a decade very strong.

BroncoNut
12-02-2011, 09:49 AM
this is excellent news

MOtorboat
12-02-2011, 11:43 AM
He's a force. Elway made the right decision.

Ravage!!!
12-02-2011, 11:44 AM
I was thrilled that the FO decided to go with the best player at #2 rather than simply go with the best player at a certain position. I was THRILLED with the selection during the draft, and feel we have one of the most dynamic players in the NFL. THATS exciting! Great draft choice by John!

TXBRONC
12-02-2011, 12:08 PM
The way the article talks about him it's very much the same way they talked about Lawrence Taylor.

rationalfan
12-02-2011, 12:37 PM
nice read. so refreshing to read a piece that isn't all opinion or rehashed facts with rehashed opinions.

and, gotta admit, i wasn't too keen about the broncos drafting miller; i was worried he'd be another aaron curry. so glad i was wrong.

GEM
12-02-2011, 12:41 PM
I think that early season benching really did him justice. He didn't pull a DeSean Dumbass and take it the wrong way. He took it for what it was, fixed what he needed to fix and came out looking like a much better player.

******* love him!!!

NightTrainLayne
12-02-2011, 01:25 PM
Quick. Tell me the last time any of us were excited at all about a Bronco defensive draft pick's year one performance.

He's amazing. There are not words enough to express it.

slim
12-02-2011, 01:27 PM
I tried to tell MO this a few weeks ago and he called me an idiot.

GEM
12-02-2011, 01:29 PM
The last defensive player people really got like this.....probably Al Wilson? Ugh that's ******* sad!!!

BroncoNut
12-02-2011, 01:42 PM

Mo. smart guy, but he gets a bit big for his britches sometimes

MOtorboat
12-02-2011, 02:26 PM

No I didn't. You asked me if I thought it was the best draft pick since Elway. I said it's too early to tell and reminded you we didn't draft Elway. BDB said Sharpe and Davis were the best draft picks in the last 30 years. You asked me if he could be in that category and I said, quote, "Oh yeah."

Idiot.

weazel
12-02-2011, 02:33 PM
Von!!! tie this dude up or a long time!

I Eat Staples
12-02-2011, 02:43 PM
Excellent article. Miller is the type of player who doesn't come along very often.

Right now I can't think of anyone more deserving of DPOY, but I'm sure they won't let a rookie win it.

Superchop 7
12-02-2011, 03:20 PM
It's Miller time.

slim
12-02-2011, 03:39 PM
No I didn't. You asked me if I thought it was the best draft pick since Elway. I said it's too early to tell and reminded you we didn't draft Elway. BDB said Sharpe and Davis were the best draft picks in the last 30 years. You asked me if he could be in that category and I said, quote, "Oh yeah."

Idiot.

Well, it was a poorly worded question. But I was really thinking about recent 1st round picks we have had and thought maybe Von would end up being the best.

Atwater, Wilson, maybe Pryce...it's a pretty short list.

Also, stop calling me names....bully.

CoachChaz
12-02-2011, 04:48 PM
Glad to see so many come around. 8 months ago there was me and maybe 2 others defending Miller as a potential pick...but I'll be curious to see how many will claim they defended it then. LOL

Jsteve01
12-02-2011, 05:45 PM
Glad to see so many come around. 8 months ago there was me and maybe 2 others defending Miller as a potential pick...but I'll be curious to see how many will claim they defended it then. LOL

I defended him after the draft. Prior to...i'll admit I really wanted Peterson or Dareus. Then I watched more tape on the kid and immediately became a fan. Also hearing John stat that Miller would have been an opposing player that scared him. Mike Sherman topped it off when he said that people had questioned Miller's ability in coverage and against the run and the Mike felt Miller could play any position on the field. He looks to be a special, special player. It's nice to have some of those around here again!!!

TXBRONC
12-02-2011, 05:52 PM
I defended him after the draft. Prior to...i'll admit I really wanted Peterson or Dareus. Then I watched more tape on the kid and immediately became a fan. Also hearing John stat that Miller would have been an opposing player that scared him. Mike Sherman topped it off when he said that people had questioned Miller's ability in coverage and against the run and the Mike felt Miller could play any position on the field. He looks to be a special, special player. It's nice to have some of those around here again!!!

That's pretty close to how I looked at it as well. I wanted either Dareus or Fairley but once the pick was made I didn't get upset about it. It didn't hurt that EFX said we needed a serious infusion of speed I trusted they knew what they were talking about.

Jsteve01
12-02-2011, 06:01 PM
That's pretty close to how I looked at it as well. I wanted either Dareus or Fairley but once the pick was made I didn't get upset about it. It didn't hurt that EFX said we needed a serious infusion of speed I trusted they knew what they were talking about.

You know when I went back and looked at it objectively, I couldn't make a solid case for Dareus. Marcel's career numbers didn't match up the numbers Suh put up in his senior year. Fairley really scared me because he just doesn't have the power you need as an interior pass rusher.

Denver Native (Carol)
12-02-2011, 06:06 PM
Great article - I still remember some on here who were totally upset with the Broncos, at the time, for taking Von with the 2nd pick in the 1st round, rather than some other players. The Broncos definitely knew what they were doing.:salute:

Tned
12-02-2011, 11:01 PM
Quick. Tell me the last time any of us were excited at all about a Bronco defensive draft pick's year one performance.

Antonio Smith...

Ziggy
12-02-2011, 11:11 PM
There was a ton of excitement during Mike Croel's rookie year. He turned out to be a complete bust after that. I don't see it going that way with Von.

getlynched47
12-03-2011, 12:43 AM
"He's a beast, he's a dog, he's a motherfluggin problem. OK, you're a goon but what's a goon to a goblin?"

I can't believe I just quoted lyrics by Lil' Wayne :tsk:

CrazyHorse
12-03-2011, 01:23 AM
...and people wanted Marcel Dareus.

BroncoBJ
12-03-2011, 02:51 AM
I was thrilled that the FO decided to go with the best player at #2 rather than simply go with the best player at a certain position. I was THRILLED with the selection during the draft, and feel we have one of the most dynamic players in the NFL. THATS exciting! Great draft choice by John!

I agree. Usually I tend to be right on who I want vs who they get. Usually if I think the player is going to be good, they usually are. And if I didn't like the pick, then they usually suck.

This year was different though. I actually wasn't too thrilled by the pick cause I felt we had other needs and really just wanted a DT. And actually wanted to trade down picks for Fairley. :fight:

Glad I was wrong though. Taking the best player available turned out good for us.

Rebuilding takes more then 1 season, and I felt we got some good pieces going forward in the future with this past draft class. Really did like a lot of our picks as a whole so I was thrilled with that. :elefant:

TXBRONC
12-03-2011, 09:39 AM
...and people wanted Marcel Dareus.

He would have been a good pick but Miller was the best pick we could make.

Nomad
12-03-2011, 10:13 AM

I find watching Von more exciting than Tebow or McGahee. I was big on the dlineman pick but I'm glad the BRONCOS picked up Miller, because without Miller I'd question some of the games the BRONCOS have won this year.

I hope he keeps this production up for years to come and BRONCOS treat him right if he continues to do so.

Nomad
12-03-2011, 10:17 AM
I agree. Usually I tend to be right on who I want vs who they get. Usually if I think the player is going to be good, they usually are. And if I didn't like the pick, then they usually suck.

This year was different though. I actually wasn't too thrilled by the pick cause I felt we had other needs and really just wanted a DT. And actually wanted to trade down picks for Fairley. :fight:

Glad I was wrong though. Taking the best player available turned out good for us.

Rebuilding takes more then 1 season, and I felt we got some good pieces going forward in the future with this past draft class. Really did like a lot of our picks as a whole so I was thrilled with that. :elefant:

Like your sig:lol:

MOtorboat
12-03-2011, 10:40 AM
If I saw him in person, I might start screaming like teenage girls at a boy band concert.

Just saying.

Nomad
12-03-2011, 10:48 AM
If I saw him in person, I might start screaming like teenage girls at a boy band concert.

Just saying.

:lol:

I wouldn't go that far but I would shake his hand and tell him to keep up the great play and offer to buy him a beer or whatever flavor he likes..

wayninja
12-03-2011, 10:54 AM

I wouldn't go that far but I would shake his hand and tell him to keep up the great play and offer to buy him a beer or whatever flavor he likes..

Your hand would be reduced to a quivering meat sack filled with finely powdered bone.

TXBRONC
12-03-2011, 12:55 PM

Just saying.

MO you already scream like a teengage girl at a boy band concert. So wouldn't that be just more of the same? :coffee:

spikerman
12-03-2011, 01:20 PM
I'll admit that I was not happy with the pick initially. I thought getting a run stuffer in the middle was more important. So far, I'm thrilled and have no problem admitting that I was wrong. I'm going to hold out hope and trust that he won't become another Croel.

getlynched47
12-03-2011, 02:37 PM

Just saying.

gyBJE3j4aTU

DenBronx
12-03-2011, 03:09 PM
He's a force. Elway made the right decision.

I must admit on draft day I was a little puzzled why we would pass on Marcel Darius for V. Miller given the fact we needed a DT more. I knew Miller was good but didn't know he was going to be great.

V. Miller has looked just as good as Clay Matthews and looks to get even better.

Alot of people forget about our DC Allen though. He was really aggressive in rushing the passer and he is using Miller to his fullest potential.

But YES EFX did make the right call and alot of credit should go to them.

wayninja
12-03-2011, 03:21 PM
I must admit on draft day I was a little puzzled why we would pass on Marcel Darius for V. Miller given the fact we needed a DT more. I knew Miller was good but didn't know he was going to be great.

V. Miller has looked just as good as Clay Matthews and looks to get even better.

Alot of people forget about our DC Allen though. He was really aggressive in rushing the passer and he is using Miller to his fullest potential.

But YES EFX did make the right call and alot of credit should go to them.

Don't also forget the synergy Miller enjoys with Dumervil either. Without another good pass rusher on the team, I don't think Miller would be doing as well as he is. The dual threat really forces teams to pick the lesser of two evils to block at times.

DenBronx
12-03-2011, 03:34 PM
Don't also forget the synergy Miller enjoys with Dumervil either. Without another good pass rusher on the team, I don't think Miller would be doing as well as he is. The dual threat really forces teams to pick the lesser of two evils to block at times.

Same could be said for Freeny & Mathis or Osi & Tuck ect. Clay has the privilage of playing on one of the top defenses in the NFL.

Point is, Miller is taking advantage of his opportunity. Don't know if you were around when we had scrubs like Jarvis Moss on the other side and they didnt do jack **** while Dumervil was still effective. You either have it or you dont and Miller deffinitely has it!

wayninja
12-03-2011, 03:36 PM
Same could be said for Freeny & Mathis or Osi & Tuck ect. Clay has the privilage of playing on one of the top defenses in the NFL.

Point is, Miller is taking advantage of his opportunity. Don't know if you were around when we had scrubs like Jarvis Moss on the other side and they didnt do jack **** while Dumervil was still effective. You either have it or you dont and Miller deffinitely has it!

Not denying that, Miller is definitely a fantastic talent, I'm just pointing out that he is fortunate that he has a guy on the other side that is very good too which makes his job that much easier.

DenBronx
12-04-2011, 01:59 AM
Not denying that, Miller is definitely a fantastic talent, I'm just pointing out that he is fortunate that he has a guy on the other side that is very good too which makes his job that much easier.

Absolutely!

Someones going to get doubled and whoever doesnt will be lickin his chops to kill the QB.

nevcraw
12-04-2011, 05:50 AM
i like the person as much as the player.. He's tough and solid person to lead the defense into the future.

I wanted Rolando McClain last year touted as a leader etc. -- not s good..

TXBRONC
12-04-2011, 09:22 AM

Agreed as it would for any player. Also keep in mind that Miller was still getting sack the first month and half the season when Dumervil was dealing with a injuried shoulder.

TXBRONC
12-04-2011, 09:27 AM
Absolutely!

Someones going to get doubled and whoever doesnt will be lickin his chops to kill the QB.

I read just recently that since Dumervil return to health five weeks ago he and Miller had made at least one quarterback sandwich in every game.