PDA

View Full Version : Mike will be Chief's Coach

Pages : [1] 2

Denver Native (Carol)
01-22-2009, 11:07 AM
Just now, during a break on Mike & Mike, it was reported locally on Fm104.3 thefan, that word is coming down that Mike will be announced the new coach for the Chiefs. During this announcement, it was stated that Herm was being talked to right now.

frauschieze
01-22-2009, 11:08 AM
Mike......who?

DallasChief
01-22-2009, 11:10 AM
Mike......who?

http://www.broncosforums.com/forums/member.php?u=164

Denver Native (Carol)
Mike......who?

Shanahan - I hope this report is not accurate

Nature Boy
Great news! I love it. The AFC West will be the "Wild Wild" AFC West again. The drama and plot only gets thicker if Mikey really goes to KC.

Oakland, Denver then KC... I love the AFC West.

NightTrainLayne
01-22-2009, 11:11 AM
Unbelievable. . with Pioli as the GM.

I stated over at the Freak that this is the worst.

It's like divorcing your wife because she always complains about your hunting and fishing trips, and then a month after the divorce is final she marries a hunting/fishing guide and moves into his mountain cabin.

claymore
01-22-2009, 11:12 AM
Damn.

Nomad
01-22-2009, 11:13 AM
Just now, during a break on Mike & Mike, it was reported locally on Fm104.3 thefan, that word is coming down that Mike will be announced the new coach for the Chiefs. During this announcement, it was stated that Herm was being talked to right now.

So it hasn't been a rumor these last couple of weeks! Don't be too excited KCL!!! I'm sure he's gotten a title like Assistant GM as well as HC! I don't wish you luck Mike!

Dortoh
01-22-2009, 11:13 AM
son of a bitch

frauschieze
01-22-2009, 11:14 AM
I don't get how this is possible. I mean, I understand that Shanahan is mostly a reddish/orange color but I think the league still recognizes him as white. How would this satisfy the Rooney Rule?

KCL
I am not hearing anything locally on this.I did make a thread that CC thinks it will be AZ's OC...At this point there are alot of expected rumors going around.

yardog
:tsk:

I hope Slowick don't take the Detroit job as db coach so he can be the DC in KC.

DallasChief
01-22-2009, 11:15 AM
I don't get how this is possible. I mean, I understand that Shanahan is mostly a reddish/orange color but I think the league still recognizes him as white. How would this satisfy the Rooney Rule?

Who says they haven't interviewed African American candidates already?

NightTrainLayne
01-22-2009, 11:16 AM

I wonder if they could count the end of season review with Herm as an interview? :confused: :laugh:

Nature Boy
01-22-2009, 11:17 AM

It's like divorcing your wife because she always complains about your hunting and fishing trips, and then a month after the divorce is final she marries a hunting/fishing guide and moves into his mountain cabin.

But Mikey was the worst Coach ever and just about every one in Broncoland wanted him out. You would think this would be a good thing that such a lousy coach is going to your enemy's side.

frauschieze
01-22-2009, 11:17 AM

Interviewing before the position is open?

NightTrainLayne
01-22-2009, 11:21 AM
But Mikey was the worst Coach ever and just about every one in Broncoland wanted him out. You would think this would be a good thing that such a lousy coach is going to your enemy's side.

Not me. I am still a Shanafan.

My analogy was trying to point out that if Shanny now figures out that he should just coach and let someone else handle personnel, that I much rather would have kept him, and moved his personnel responsibilities to someone else. . and still have him here.

NightTrainLayne
01-22-2009, 11:21 AM
Interviewing before the position is open?

I usually interview replacements long before I fire someone. . .but my situation's probably a little different than hiring an NFL HC.

Nature Boy
01-22-2009, 11:22 AM
Not me. I am still a Shanafan.

My analogy was trying to point out that if Shanny now figures out that he should just coach and let someone else handle personnel, that I much rather would have kept him, and moved his personnel responsibilities to someone else. . and still have him here.

got ya.

underrated29
01-22-2009, 11:23 AM
yeah its been rumored a lot now. I still dont buy it. Didnt shanny say these two things:

1. I WANT TO GO TO A WINNER A TEAM THAT CAN WIN THE SUPERBOWL

(the cheifs are hell and gone from getting close to the superbowl).

2. IF I DO COACH AGAIN NEXT SEASON IT WILL NOT BE WITHIN THE DIVISION.

(he said he couldnt take it, playing against his former team 2x a year.)

To me its just rumor, but someone said it would be official within the next 48 hours. I hope its false, all evidnece supports false, but who the f knows.

Dortoh
01-22-2009, 11:26 AM
yeah its been rumored a lot now. I still dont buy it. Didnt shanny say these two things:

To me its just rumor, but someone said it would be official within the next 48 hours. I hope its false, all evidnece supports false, but who the f knows.

Meh, I did not have sexual relations with that woman.

Thnikkaman
01-22-2009, 11:26 AM
I have heard reports that this is not likely, and that Shanahan is set on taking the year off.

omac
01-22-2009, 11:27 AM
I hope not, as I'd be rooting for the Chiefs if they weren't playing the Broncos, just like I root for the Texans because of Kubiak. If he does take it, it's probably because of his undying hate for Al Davis as his motivating factor. :D

CoachChaz
01-22-2009, 11:28 AM
Who cares where he goes. Unless Elway finds the fountain of youth and signs with KC...Shanny will not be a threat to us anymore than anyone else would be.

Nature Boy
01-22-2009, 11:31 AM

The Chiefs had to me a very good draft last season. They just need a solid QB and they will be competitive, better than us even because they have a better defense. If there is anyone to improve an offense, Mike Shanahan is the guy to make an immediate impact.

People say things all the time only to do exactly what they say they wont because the enticement or options takes them is there. Mike Shanahan loved playing the Raiders and loved rubbing Al Davis' face in it. I bet he's chomping at the bit to do the same to Pat Bowles.

I hope Mikey does go to KC. It'll make my Sundays that much funner and give me more reasons to watch the Chefs play.

Nomad
01-22-2009, 11:32 AM
Dallas may get desperate and outbid KC for Shanahan's services!!

NightTrainLayne
01-22-2009, 11:33 AM
Dallas may get desperate and outbid KC for Shanahan's services!!

Ahh, there you go. Shanny's trying to put the pressure on Dallas.

Just like all those drafts, it's the team/player he's NOT talking about that is the real target.

Nature Boy
01-22-2009, 11:33 AM
I hope not, as I'd be rooting for the Chiefs if they weren't playing the Broncos, just like I root for the Texans because of Kubiak. If he does take it, it's probably because of his undying hate for Al Davis as his motivating factor. :D

What about Pat Bowles?

If not KC, I want Mikey in Dallas. Yes, I'm a Shana-Fan. I want him at all our parties to stir things up! :elefant:

roomemp
01-22-2009, 11:36 AM
I personally could give a rat's a** . I don't know about you guys but it would be hard to see Mike with any other team. I would love it. We would be off the hook for his contract. I love the direction we are currently going. Thats the pst....This is the very promising future.

frauschieze
01-22-2009, 11:38 AM
What about Pat Bowles?

If not KC, I want Mikey in Dallas. Yes, I'm a Shana-Fan.

.:elefant:

Mike has nothing but respect for Pat Bowlen. There is mutual admiration between those two. And Pat isn't going to stiff Mike money like Al did. Completely different scenarios.

KCL
01-22-2009, 11:38 AM
So it hasn't been a rumor these last couple of weeks! Don't be too excited KCL!!! I'm sure he's gotten a title like Assistant GM as well as HC! I don't wish you luck Mike!

I am not excited but I will be whenever they finally announce who our HC will be.Besides Nomad having going through the "Herm' years I have every right to be excited...;)

KCL
01-22-2009, 11:39 AM
:tsk:

I hope Slowick don't take the Detroit job as db coach so he can be the DC in KC.

:tsk: ------> right back at you Yard.

Nature Boy
01-22-2009, 11:40 AM
Mike has nothing but respect for Pat Bowlen. There is mutual admiration between those two. And Pat isn't going to stiff Mike money like Al did. Completely different scenarios.

I don't believe it. Mikey is the kind of guy who is so competitive that he'll love to rubbed it in whenever he can.

Who wouldn't want to stiff the guy who just fired you no matter what the situation or circumstances was? I would. :listen:

Nomad
01-22-2009, 11:42 AM
I am not excited but I will be whenever they finally announce who our HC will be.Besides Nomad having going through the "Herm' years I have every right to be excited...;)

You right! Anybody other than Herm!:D

underrated29
01-22-2009, 11:44 AM
while the cheifs did have a great draft, nature boy. They certainly arent anywhere close to being competative...How many wins did they have? like5.

Their defense is better than ours, but so were 31 other clubs. Their defense sucks. And their offense does too.

They have exactley 3 playmakers on offense. LJ -who they dont use properly. Gonzo- who wants to be traded and is old. WR- i forgot his name at the moment. Everyone else QB or not sucks!

They need more than an offensive genius like mike to turn things around.

GEM
01-22-2009, 11:44 AM

Herm.

frauschieze
01-22-2009, 11:45 AM
I don't believe it. Mikey is the kind of guy who is so competitive that he'll love to rubbed it in whenever he can.

Who wouldn't want to stiff the guy who just fired you no matter what the situation or circumstances was? I would. :listen:

That takes maturity. Not something you're familiar with, I know.

omac
01-22-2009, 11:46 AM

So if Pioli gets rid of Herm, how will the Chiefs "play to win the game" .... :D .... just kidding. Hope the news of Herm being let go is true, and you get a good coach to right the ship. :tea:

frauschieze
01-22-2009, 11:47 AM
Herm.

But that doesn't make sense. They have to interview a minority candidate......I guess I wouldn't imagine that Herm's exit interview would satisfy that.

Someone mentioned elsewhere that KC could just pay the fine. I hadn't thought of that. :D

sanluis
01-22-2009, 11:47 AM
WTH I thought Mike was going to take the year off!! And how would joining KC help his restaurant in Denver??!! That would cost him dearly!:lol:

Maybe if KC threw a huge mountain of money at him he would do it. :confused: Still, I don't think so and I would be surprised big time if Mike went to KC.

KCL
01-22-2009, 11:48 AM
while the cheifs did have a great draft, nature boy. They certainly arent anywhere close to being competative...How many wins did they have? like5.

Their defense is better than ours, but so were 31 other clubs. Their defense sucks. And their offense does too.

They have exactley 3 playmakers on offense. LJ -who they dont use properly. Gonzo- who wants to be traded and is old. WR- i forgot his name at the moment. Everyone else QB or not sucks!

I guess you didn't watch too many Chiefs games this past season.Granted they did lose all but 2 but they were very competitive even in the games they lost.

We also started several rookies who IMO...some if not all of them will only get better with time.

As far as a QB....Thigpen did very well for being throw into the starting position.Will he be our starter next season? Who knows but if he is I sure won't be complaining.

Nature Boy
01-22-2009, 11:49 AM

I anyone can do it, Mikey can. If Mikey goes to KC, all he'll need is a a solid veteran QB he can sign(maybe Plummer, HAHA!).

The Chiefs have a solid RB, HOF TE, Pro-bowl caiber WR in Dewayne Bowe. The offensive line needs some upgrading but Mikey knows that.

Mikey in KC would automatically give them 4 extra wins from last season. That's my speculation.

KCL
01-22-2009, 11:50 AM
So if Pioli gets rid of Herm, how will the Chiefs "play to win the game" .... :D .... just kidding. Hope the news of Herm being let go is true, and you get a good coach to right the ship. :tea:

Thanks omac...you're always a classy poster! :salute:

sanluis
01-22-2009, 11:50 AM
But that doesn't make sense. They have to interview a minority candidate......I guess I wouldn't imagine that Herm's exit interview would satisfy that.

Someone mentioned elsewhere that KC could just pay the fine. I hadn't thought of that. :D

I think Herm counts and shows the club hires Minority players.

Italianmobstr7
01-22-2009, 11:54 AM
How many wins did they have? like5.

Don't give them more credit than they deserve. They were 2-14. I'm sure that's Shanny's dream scenario.

Nature Boy
01-22-2009, 11:56 AM
WTH I thought Mike was going to take the year off!! And how would joining KC help his restaurant in Denver??!! That would cost him dearly!:lol:

Maybe if KC threw a huge mountain of money at him he would do it. :confused: Still, I don't think so and I would be surprised big time if Mike went to KC.

Sounds like you secretly want Mikey to go to SD. If I were a Bolts fan, I would.

With all that talent in SD and they haven't made it to a AFCCG.
Turner sucks! Hahahahahaha!

True? LT is getting traded? He's done anyways, his wheels are broken.

Denver Native (Carol)
01-22-2009, 11:57 AM
Sounds like the rumor is also floating around in KC.

http://www.arrowheadpride.com/2009/1/22/731669/rumor-sounds-like-shanahan

GEM
01-22-2009, 11:57 AM

He may have had to sit in on an interview just like any other candidate. New management often times will make current employees re-interview for jobs. No guarantees.

GEM
01-22-2009, 11:58 AM
Sounds like you secretly want Mikey to go to SD. If I were a Bolts fan, I would.

Ummmmm....they just made it to the AFCCG a couple times, getting beat by the Pansies each time. :shrugs:

Dortoh
01-22-2009, 11:59 AM
Holy fish tacos.....anyone who thinks Shanny going to mulletvile is no big deal is brain dead or in denial.

Herm/C Peterson < Shanny/Pioli

sanluis
01-22-2009, 12:00 PM

Sure! Mike would be amazing in SD. I would can Turner in half a heart beat to get Mike. Wouldn't you?

turftoad
01-22-2009, 12:01 PM
If this happens, do we start calling him Shanarat? :shocked:

NightTrainLayne
01-22-2009, 12:02 PM

Looks like the Chefs are about as excited as we are. :lol:

MileHighWrath
01-22-2009, 12:04 PM
Yesterday it was Todd Haley, today it's Shanahan ..... Don't they have to fire their current coach before they hire another?

Let's all take a deep breath and realize that Herm is still the HC of the chefs before we give the job to someone else.

G_Money
01-22-2009, 12:05 PM
I'll believe it when I see it.

~G

KCL
01-22-2009, 12:05 PM

Thanks Carol...I hadn't seen this.

Nature Boy
01-22-2009, 12:07 PM
Ummmmm....they just made it to the AFCCG a couple times, getting beat by the Pansies each time. :shrugs:

You're right. Forget about the hobbled Rivers trying to play and LT on the sidelines with broken wheels.

Norv Turner still sucks.

Nature Boy
01-22-2009, 12:08 PM
Sure! Mike would be amazing in SD. I would can Turner in half a heart beat to get Mike. Wouldn't you?

I sure would. Good that we agree. Should it happen, it'd be a good thing for you and a bad thing for us.

GEM
01-22-2009, 12:09 PM
You're right. Forget about the hobbled Rivers trying to play and LT on the sidelines with broken wheels.

Norv Turner still sucks.

:laugh: I agree, but just needed to point out they had been to a couple AFCCG's. Their biggest thing against Marty was he couldn't win in the playoffs......seems Norv can't either. :D

Nomad
01-22-2009, 12:09 PM
Yesterday it was Todd Haley, today it's Shanahan ..... Don't they have to fire their current coach before they hire another?

Let's all take a deep breath and realize that Herm is still the HC of the chefs before we give the job to someone else.

It's the offseason, month away from the combine (2 from the draft), and week from the SB, it's cold and snowy outside, some of us are laid off, so what's else is there to do and I could care less where Shanny goes as well? I'll PT after while though!!:D

Nature Boy
01-22-2009, 12:14 PM
:laugh: I agree, but just needed to point out they had been to a couple AFCCG's. Their biggest thing against Marty was he couldn't win in the playoffs......seems Norv can't either. :D

I was only referring to Norv so it was 1 AFCCG and they did not fair very well.

Denver Native (Carol)
01-22-2009, 12:15 PM
http://www.nbcactionnews.com/mostpopular/story/Mike-Shanahan-Could-be-Next-Chiefs-Head-Coach/EjWyJUYPT0q-lAAApuqgXw.cspx

Mike Shanahan Could be Next Chiefs Head Coach

KANSAS CITY, Mo. - NBC Action Sports has learned that the Chiefs are getting very close to naming their new head coach.

While we can't confirm it, we're hearing that it sounds like Mike Shanahan could be the replacement for Herm Edwards. We should find out by Friday.

Shanahan spent 14 years in Denver but was fired after this past season. That's when the Broncos failed to make the playoffs after blowing a three game lead with three games to play.

The 56-year-old Shanahan was known as a "mastermind" after leading Denver to back-to-back Super Bowl victories in 1998 and 1999. But it's been a different story since John Elway retired. He only has one playoff victory since that happened.

His teams went 24-24 the last three seasons. Shanahan had total control in Denver. If he comes to Kansas City, that won't be the case since Scott Pioli is in charge of football operations.

Ziggy
01-22-2009, 12:15 PM
Shanahan in KC with Pioli is an intriguing combination. I still believe that Shanahan is a top 3 coach in the NFL. Get a good defensive coordinator with him in there, and that teams turns it around in 2-3 years. They have a shot at getting a franchise QB in this draft, and they have been building the D with picks the last couple of years. I'd rather see Shanahan in KC while they are rebuilding than in San Diego with the talent that they have right now.

Nomad
01-22-2009, 12:18 PM
For all you Mane people, someone named Garcia Bronco talked to Kyle Shanahan and he told him his dad was more than likely going to coach the Chiefs because it was closer to CO, this info via bronco militia! :whoknows:

KCL
01-22-2009, 12:21 PM
This would take some getting use to if Shanny were to coach the Chiefs...I wonder how he would look in red sporting the Arrowhead KC logo.

CoachChaz
01-22-2009, 12:22 PM
Then he can take Slowik with him and we're just fine.

Seriously, is Shanny really all that great without a HOF QB?

Buff
01-22-2009, 12:23 PM
Disaster...

NightTrainLayne
This would take some getting use to if Shanny were to coach the Chiefs...I wonder how he would look in red sporting the Arrowhead KC logo.

Yuck. I just puked a lot on my desk.

Denver Native (Carol)
Shanahan in KC with Pioli is an intriguing combination. I still believe that Shanahan is a top 3 coach in the NFL. Get a good defensive coordinator with him in there, and that teams turns it around in 2-3 years. They have a shot at getting a franchise QB in this draft, and they have been building the D with picks the last couple of years. I'd rather see Shanahan in KC while they are rebuilding than in San Diego with the talent that they have right now.

What bothers me with this is Pioli is the GM. If Mike being the GM here is what caused the problems with Pat, why did Mike not relinquish being a GM here, and if he does end up being just the KC head coach, why not just the head coach here also?

KCL
01-22-2009, 12:26 PM
Yuck. I just puked a lot on my desk.

Yea I figured that might get to you...:lol:

Nature Boy
01-22-2009, 12:26 PM
For all you Mane people, someone named Garcia Bronco talked to Kyle Shanahan and he told him his dad was more than likely going to coach the Chiefs because it was closer to CO, this info via bronco militia! :whoknows:

Hilarious! Oolong tea just squirted out my nose. :lol:

Nature Boy
01-22-2009, 12:29 PM
What bothers me with this is Pioli is the GM. If Mike being the GM here is what caused the problems with Pat, why did Mike not relinquish being a GM here, and if he does end up being just the KC head coach, why not just the head coach here also?

It's really hard for Pat to ask his buddy to take a step backwards and it's next to impossible for Mikey to willingly want to take a step backwards with the same company. Egos got in the way and the 2 departed. simple.

topscribe
01-22-2009, 12:30 PM
I anyone can do it, Mikey can. If Mikey goes to KC, all he'll need is a a solid veteran QB he can sign(maybe Plummer, HAHA!).

The Chiefs have a solid RB, HOF TE, Pro-bowl caiber WR in Dewayne Bowe. The offensive line needs some upgrading but Mikey knows that.

Mikey in KC would automatically give them 4 extra wins from last season. That's my speculation.

The RB (LJ) is unhappy, wants out of KC, and has been a misfit all along,
anyway. The TE is old, in the twilight of his career. Just about every team in
the league has ONE good receiver. The Chiefs have a LOT of holes to fill on
both sides of the LOS.

Shanny might give them three or four more wins, so that would give them . . .
what? . . . five, six wins next year?

They have a loooong way to go . . .

-----

KCL
01-22-2009, 12:33 PM
both sides of the LOS.

-----
Yea but it would be a start...right? ;)

Nature Boy
01-22-2009, 12:35 PM
both sides of the LOS.

-----

Still an improvement and head and shoulders better than Hermies.

LJ may have a change of heart with new Offensive guru for a coach. Tony Gonzales is still better than 85% of the TEs in the NFL. The Chiefs had an oustanding 08 draft. Their defense is better than Denver's. All KC needs is a solid QB(sign Vet FA) and if Mikey goes there, I bet they will have a better record than Denver next season.

Tops, I'll bet you 1000 Freakbuck$ on it if Mikey lands in KC.

Ziggy
01-22-2009, 12:38 PM

I think so. When he had elite talent, he won 2 super bowls. When he had average talent, he got to the AFCC game. When he had a defense that was in the bottom 3 in the league over a 3 year period, he still finished at .500. Shanny the GM was horrible. Shanny the coach is one of the best.

honz
01-22-2009, 12:42 PM
I don't buy it. I don't see why Shanny would want to go to the Chiefs after showing little to no interest in the other coahing vacancies that have already been filled. Also, like someone already posted, Shanny said that he did not want to coach within the division.

Nature Boy
01-22-2009, 12:44 PM
I don't buy it. I don't see why Shanny would want to go to the Chiefs after showing little to no interest in the other coahing vacancies that have already been filled. Also, like someone already posted, Shanny said that he did not want to coach within the division.

As someone put it. Just like how Mikey faints and moves during draft days. Possibly Mikey is just dancing for Jerry Jones' attention.

Tned
01-22-2009, 12:54 PM
Damn, and I am walking out the door.

So much for those that stated emphatically that Mike would not go to an AFC West team. There is a lot of young players on that team. QB is questionable. Don't have time to scan through the pages to see if this is confirmed, will log back on via cell phone later.

DallasChief
01-22-2009, 01:02 PM
SCHEFTER: SHANAHAN WON’T LAND IN KANSAS CITY
Posted by Mike Florio on January 22, 2009, 12:25 p.m.

In response to rapidly-spreading rumors (we might have had something to do with that) regarding the possibility of a former Broncos and Raiders coach landing with their common rivals in Kansas City, Adam Schefter of NFLN says that there’s no truth whatsoever to the reports/rumors/rumblings/scuttlebutt that Mike Shanahan will be the next coach of the Chiefs.

Per Schefter, the Chiefs and Shanahan have had no contact as of mid-day Thursday.

Of course, it doesn’t mean that there won’t be contact if/when Herm Edwards is fired. We assume that the Chiefs are spending more time deciding whether to keep Herm than they are lining up his potential replacement.

Especially in light of the Rooney Rule.

Unless Shanahan’s spray tan falls within the scope of the Soul Man exception, he can’t be hired until after Edwards is fired and at least one minority candidate is interviewed

pnbronco
01-22-2009, 01:02 PM
Oh Man, this is terrible... The Wild West is a good statement though....

pnbronco
01-22-2009, 01:06 PM

In response to rapidly-spreading rumors (we might have had something to do with that) regarding the possibility of a former Broncos and Raiders coach landing with their common rivals in Kansas City, Adam Schefter of NFLN says that there’s no truth whatsoever to the reports/rumors/rumblings/scuttlebutt that Mike Shanahan will be the next coach of the Chiefs.

Per Schefter, the Chiefs and Shanahan have had no contact as of mid-day Thursday.

Of course, it doesn’t mean that there won’t be contact if/when Herm Edwards is fired. We assume that the Chiefs are spending more time deciding whether to keep Herm than they are lining up his potential replacement.

Unless Shanahan’s spray tan falls within the scope of the Soul Man exception, he can’t be hired until after Edwards is fired and at least one minority candidate is interviewed

Schefter has been right on everything else, I so hope he is on this one..:pray:

broncofaninfla
01-22-2009, 01:10 PM
The Chiefs have Pioli, I find it hard to believe Shanny would go somewhere and not want full control.

Nature Boy
01-22-2009, 01:16 PM
The Chiefs have Pioli, I find it hard to believe Shanny would go somewhere and not want full control.

Mikey may not have that choice.

Nomad
01-22-2009, 01:22 PM
As someone put it. Just like how Mikey faints and moves during draft days. Possibly Mikey is just dancing for Jerry Jones' attention.

I wouldn't be surprised if Shanahan is trying to bait Jones and see if he bites, if not he can fall back on the Chiefs. I'm sure the man doesn't want to sit out a season and he'll take what he can get. If he can get the Chiefs to the playoffs with a win, he'd be hailed as a hero!

Nature Boy
01-22-2009, 01:26 PM
Or Mikey may just want to take the yr off. A year off for Mikey after 14 yrs will only reinvigorate his aging bones. Either way, he'll get his 7 mil for this coming season coaching or not.

topscribe
01-22-2009, 01:28 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if Shanahan is trying to bait Jones and see if he bites, if not he can fall back on the Chiefs. I'm sure the man doesn't want to sit out a season and he'll take what he can get. If he can get the Chiefs to the playoffs with a win, he'd be hailed as a hero!

It would seem to me at this point that if Shanny is encouraging the rumor, it
is a bluff. As Broncofaninfla mentioned, it is doubtful that he would take a job
where he does not have full control. And with $21 million in unemployment
compensation ahead of him over the next three years and a name that puts
him at the head of any short list, he does indeed have a choice.

-----

Rick
01-22-2009, 01:28 PM
Shanny would have one thing there that he has not had in years here.

While LJ NOW is malcontent, would that still be the case if Shanny is running him in the ground? Shanny would love having a true back to carry the load and LJ would have no reason to bitch as he would no doubt be in the top 3 in yards and touchdowns.

Shanny can make any QB better and with Bowe there as a go to target and Gonz there as well the offense will score plenty.

Defense...they will still suck but I would never count out a Shanny offense, especially when he has a back like LJ.

Nomad
01-22-2009, 01:32 PM
It would seem to me at this point that if Shanny is encouraging the rumor, it
is a bluff. As has already been mentioned, it is doubtful that he would take a
job where he does not have full control. And with $21 million in unemployment
compensation ahead of him over the next three years and a name that puts
him at the head of any short list, he does indeed have a choice.

-----

Just have fun with it! There's no right or wrong answers and frankly if I was Shanahan I would go tour the world on the BRONCOS dime and enjoy life a little rather than babysitting men-in-tights (as my wife calls football players)!:D

silkamilkamonico
01-22-2009, 01:36 PM
http://www.profootballtalk.com/2009/01/22/schefter-shanahan-wont-land-in-kansas-city/

Schefter reporting that Shanahan has NOT had any contact with KC as of mid day Thursday.

I personally hope he would get the job. He won't be given a HoF QB there, so he surely won't have results similar to when he first went to Denver.

Bozo Jr.
01-22-2009, 01:46 PM
I thought for sure he would be heading for Indy. Hopefully this is just speculation. But I also would like to get the better of the deal and sweep KC for years to come. Bring it on Shanahan! :salute:

OB
01-22-2009, 01:49 PM
at least we have his playbook :D

Nature Boy
01-22-2009, 02:00 PM
at least we have his playbook :D

That and we still have Dennison and Bobby Turner so at least I think we'll still be running the ZBS run game that's been so productive for so many yrs no matter how lousy the RB we inserted back there.

turftoad
01-22-2009, 02:20 PM

Unless Shanahan’s spray tan falls within the scope of the Soul Man exception, he can’t be hired until after Edwards is fired and at least one minority candidate is interviewed.

KCL
01-22-2009, 02:23 PM
I thought for sure he would be heading for Indy. Hopefully this is just speculation. But I also would like to get the better of the deal and sweep KC for years to come. Bring it on Shanahan! :salute:

Denver didn't sweep KC last season and we had Herm...don't see how having Shanny would change that.

Nomad
01-22-2009, 02:45 PM
Schefter hopes it's wrong because if not he's going to be kicking his own ass for not reporting it first like the Shanahan firing. It would be ironic to screw up twice on the same coach and he used to be a Denver Post reporter!:lol:

Nature Boy
01-22-2009, 02:52 PM
Schefter hopes it's wrong because if not he's going to be kicking his own ass for not reporting it first like the Shanahan firing. It would be ironic to screw up twice on the same coach and he used to be a Denver Post reporter!:lol:

It would make sense to me. Secretive Mikey will keep the closest and noisiest blabbermouth in the dark the most.

BeefStew25
01-22-2009, 02:53 PM
It would make sense to me. Secretive Mikey will keep the closest and noisiest blabbermouth in the dark the most.

Totally agree, 3000.

nevcraw
01-22-2009, 03:16 PM
Adam Schefter
Chiefs haven’t contacted Shanahan
Posted: January 22nd, 2009 | Adam Schefter

Nearly a month after the season, the Chiefs still haven’t made a coaching change. Mike Shanahan still doesn’t have a job.

Thus, in the past 24 hours, like a virus that has spread, some have concluded that Kansas City is pursuing Shanahan and he could be the Chiefs’ next head coach.

Time to squash that rumor. As of mid-day Thursday, the Chiefs and Shanahan haven’t had any contact. None. Zero. Zip. Nada.

Yet, within the past hour, I’ve received a half-dozen calls and e-mails from various Kansas City and Denver media outlets, asking if there’s any truth to the rumor that the Chiefs and Shanahan are talking.

No, there is not. There is no truth to the rumor. Chiefs officials are at the Senior Bowl in Mobile, Ala., and Shanahan just finished a morning run on the treadmill.

The Chiefs’ coaching mystery continues — minus Shanahan.
http://blogs.nfl.com/category/adam-schefter/

ikillz0mbies
01-22-2009, 03:28 PM
It's funny because at the press conference with Shanahan and Bowlen, Bowlen said specifically that he hoped Shanahan wouldn't go to Kansas City. And now all this speculation....

KCL
01-22-2009, 04:00 PM
http://chiefsblog.kansascity.com/?q=node/641

Haley, Shanahan and the flavor of the day

You might have heard today that former Broncos coach Mike Shanahan has been mentioned as a possible candidate as the Chiefs' next coach. For now, we'll do like everyone else and ignore that, for the forthcoming seconds and perhaps minutes, Herm Edwards has not been fired.

So now it's Shanahan, a day or two after it was Arizona offensive coordinator Todd Haley. The name was mentioned Monday, a day after Haley's high-flying offense helped Arizona sail into the Super Bowl.

Haley was an offensive genius. He was the Chiefs' savior. He was a shoo-in.

Now he's old news.

This isn't new in football, even considering the unusual circumstances surrounding the Chiefs' coaching, um, situation? Fans and media folks like to speculate, and hey, it's fun. This guy and that guy; maybe if you hope and pray hard enough, Chuck Noll might come out of retirement. I met a guy in New Orleans once who swore on a case of beer that he could raise the dead; anybody want to get a seance together and ask Vince Lombardi if he's interested? Your place. Friday. Midnight. I'll bring the candles.

So far we've heard Parcells and Cowher, two former coaches who've made it pretty clear they're done with walking the sideline -- at least for this season. But hey, we're football fans. All we've got is hope, right?

So now that Haley is passe, we can focus on Shanahan. Or whomever it'll be tomorrow.

I did ask around at the AFC title game about how viable a Shanahan-to-KC marriage was. Whether it was likely. Or even remotely possible. Someone who's very familiar with Shanahan told me that even if it did happen, which remains unlikely, it would be an ego thunderstorm. New GM Scott Pioli wants to leave his fingerprint on a franchise; heck, that's the reason he left New England in the first place. He wants to be the decision-maker, the guy who can't be superseded, unless it's by the owner, of course (and we're all waiting to see if Clark will be hands-off or meddlesome or something in between). And Shanahan spent his years as Denver as the lone voice. He was the coach and the personnel boss, and that's something just not easy to give up.

Some say Shanahan learned his lesson. They say he figured out there weren't enough hours in the day and that in today's NFL, being a GM/coach is a nearly impossible task. But even if Shanahan signs on to become the Chiefs' next coach -- and coach only -- it could be difficult for him to not second-guess his rookie GM. That's not good for business, particularly for a team that's trying its damndest to get things right and carve out a smooth path to wherever it is it's going.

Hey, tomorrow it'll be someone new. Maybe even someone we've never heard of! Those are the best. Like Haley. For now, they're all rumors.

dogfish
01-22-2009, 04:03 PM
given his past rate of success at narrowhead, i think shanahan taking the chefs job could be a very good thing-- that place is his cryptonite. . . .

mopatt24
01-22-2009, 04:08 PM
WOW.....May not be true, but when there's smoke, there's fire

Lonestar
01-22-2009, 04:25 PM
Who cares where he goes. Unless Elway finds the fountain of youth and signs with KC...Shanny will not be a threat to us anymore than anyone else would be.

well this is as far as I read this thread.

and had to reply your dead on this one..

Mike a great mastermind when he had 4-5 HOF players playing for him.. now just another good coach without being knee deep in talent..

And though KC has drafted well the past couple of draft and no doubt Paoli will continue that..

Besides mikey never has had a defense worth a crap..

TXBRONC
01-22-2009, 04:52 PM

Actually he said that he would come back this year if the right situation fell into his lap.

TXBRONC
01-22-2009, 04:58 PM

From what I have come to understand Carol it wasn't so much that Shanahan was the GM that causeed rift it was the fact he and Bowlen had grown apart.

scott.475
01-22-2009, 05:04 PM
While LJ NOW is malcontent, would that still be the case if Shanny is running him in the ground? Shanny would love having a true back to carry the load and LJ would have no reason to bitch as he would no doubt be in the top 3 in yards and touchdowns.

The problem with LJ is he will ALWAYS find a way to be a malcontent. He would already have his first excuse by having to be coached by a white guy again. Then there would be another excuse, then another, etc.

Lonestar
01-22-2009, 05:41 PM
From what I have come to understand Carol it wasn't so much that Shanahan was the GM that causeed rift it was the fact he and Bowlen had grown apart.

I think this pretty much true but also have to believe that mikey just had to much power, and when he said he wanted slowick back..

Well I'd bet that was high noon as the Dove Valley corral..

Only one man walked away..

nmbroncosfan
01-22-2009, 07:07 PM
Mikey may not have that choice.

Sure he does.......or he don't have to coach

SmilinAssasSin27
01-22-2009, 07:19 PM
I forget the name, but there was a story just last night about a DIFFERENT coach getting the KC gig...and again, Herm hasn't been fired.

I couldn't actually cere less where Shanny ends up. I liked him, but he doesn't work here anymore.

SmilinAssasSin27
01-22-2009, 08:15 PM
I forget the name, but there was a story just last night about a DIFFERENT coach getting the KC gig...and again, Herm hasn't been fired.

It was Haley, Arizona's OC.

Shazam!
01-22-2009, 10:42 PM
The rumor is... that this is just a rumor. We should wait to see if it happens before we all speculate.

If so, I hope McCoach is prepared to tear KC a new one.

TXBRONC
01-22-2009, 10:47 PM
The rumor is... that this is just a rumor. We should wait to see if it happens before we all speculate.

If so, I hope McCoach is prepared to tear KC a new one.

Even if Shanahan isn't hired by the Chiefs I hope McDaniels has the team ready to tear KC a new one. And while he's at it I hope he has the team ready to do the same to the Chargers and Raiders.

Devilspawn
01-22-2009, 10:48 PM

Oh hush up you damn Huntin' n Fishin' Guide (C) 1995-2008. :laugh:

Is this an ESPN report? I call hogwash and bafoonery. Sounds like the Chiefs should borrow one of our PR guys to shut them the f up. :elefant:

Shazam!
01-22-2009, 11:06 PM
Bottom line- Without John Elway, the man was mediocre apart from one season in Denver. He couldn't motivate Mickey Mouse to run if he had a baseball bat. He's a good gameplanner and X's & O's Coach, but that's it. If KC has success, it will practically be all Pioli's doing because Shanahan proved to be an inept GM.

SmilinAssasSin27
01-22-2009, 11:19 PM
ouch

Dirk
01-23-2009, 07:19 AM
If he does he does. I am not scared! :eek:

PatricktheDookie
01-23-2009, 08:27 AM
Mediocre my ass.

What other teams go through a complete rebuilding effort without falling apart.

Look at the turnover in the past three years.

tomjonesrocks
01-23-2009, 09:09 AM
I think this pretty much true but also have to believe that mikey just had to much power, and when he said he wanted slowick back..

Well I'd bet that was high noon as the Dove Valley corral..

Only one man walked away..

It's funny how that one comment from that press conference has really been the thing for me that's been there for me to curl up with to when I doubt the move to let Shanahan go. Who knows if Shanny even meant it? But if he had said something to the effect of "after an unsuccessful season like this all of our staff have to be evaluated" in regards to Slowik rather than "he'll be back" I'd be a *lot* less happy about the dismissal now.

Shanahan in KC would be a nightmare come true though. I don't see how I'd have any choice but to root against him there--could really spoil a lot of the very positive feelings I have for the guy. Don't do it Mike!

Think about your coming restaurant, Shanny. Who's going to eat there while you're rocking KC gear on SportsCenter every week?
Then again, Del Frisco's (the restaurant of the former GM he's partnered with) absolutely rocks, so...

TXBRONC
01-23-2009, 09:41 AM
It's funny how that one comment from that press conference has really been the thing for me that's been there for me to curl up with to when I doubt the move to let Shanahan go. Who knows if Shanny even meant it? But if he had said something to the effect of "after an unsuccessful season like this all of our staff have to be evaluated" in regards to Slowik rather than "he'll be back" I'd be a *lot* less happy about the dismissal now.

Shanahan in KC would be a nightmare come true though. I don't see how I'd have any choice but to root against him there--could really spoil a lot of the very positive feelings I have for the guy. Don't do it Mike!

Think about your coming restaurant, Shanny. Who's going to eat there while you're rocking KC gear on SportsCenter every week?
Then again, Del Frisco's (the restaurant of the former GM he's partnered with) absolutely rocks, so...

I will still always appreciated what he did for the Broncos regardless of where he coaches next. If the Chiefs do indeed fire Herm and then offer the job to Shanahan he should feel free to take the job if its to his liking.

KCL
01-23-2009, 10:32 AM
I will still always appreciated what he did for the Broncos regardless of where he coaches next. If the Chiefs do indeed fire Herm and then offer the job to Shanahan he should feel free to take the job if its to his liking.

I hope he does coach the Chiefs :heh:

Dirk
01-23-2009, 10:46 AM
After mulling this over a bit, I would rather have Shanny in KC then letting Herm have one more year to pull it together. Again, I think they were just a few plays away from having it all together and a serious threat under Herm's rebuilding project. A lot of good young talent on that team.

DallasChief
01-23-2009, 10:49 AM
After mulling this over a bit, I would rather have Shanny in KC then letting Herm have one more year to pull it together. Again, I think they were just a few plays away from having it all together and a serious threat under Herm's rebuilding project. A lot of good young talent on that team.

I'll have what you're smoking.

Dirk
01-23-2009, 10:52 AM
I'll have what you're smoking.

Ha! :lol:

Seriously though!

TXBRONC
01-23-2009, 11:14 AM

He is a very good coach, but that doesn't mean you'll start winning regular season games in Denver on consistent basis. :D

KCL
01-23-2009, 11:27 AM
He is a very good coach, but that doesn't mean you'll start winning regular season games in Denver on consistent basis. :D

Hey if he could get us to winning at least 3 games...I'd be happy...:lol:

I think....:confused:

Lonestar
01-23-2009, 11:51 AM

Why would he say it if had any doubt in his mind? When a reporter asked him point blank about slowish.. He either meant it or he was stupid to answer a all..

slowish was his "BOY" he had been promoted to DC before the Bates hire.. I read that to mean the Bates was not totally mikeys Idea..

So it that is true then why hire Bates if he already had slowish as his DC??

Did he want Jim Bates because it was a condition to hiring Jeremy?

Or most likely Pat was less than enthused that slowish was going from being decent popular DB coach to DC and wanted someone with more experience..

That seems to be the most likely choice as he was then hired a few weeks after DC appointment and was brought in as assistant HC Defense..

AS for the hogwash about mikey rebuilding the team on the fly.. YEAH sure.. he made major upgrades on OFFENSE that kept the team from being a complete and epic FAIL the past three years.. While doing almost nothing on DEFENSE..

This team has been going down hill a few players at a time as the super bowl players started to retire or move on..

he failed miserably from 1999 on in drafting quality players till 2006 with the Jay draft.. prior to that he had 2 LB's, 1 DE, 1 RB and few late round OLINE types that were worth a crap and played here and stayed after there initial contract was done.... I leave out Gold and Reggie because they both bolted after their rookie contract was done..

Mikey was dead man walking and only Pat silly assed statement of contract for life allowed him to stay..

As for mikey coaching in KC it is a dream come true because his DEFENSE will suck after a couple of years.. and it will all be OFFENSE.. can't teach and old dog new tricks..

TXBRONC
01-23-2009, 11:57 AM
Hey if he could get us to winning at least 3 games...I'd be happy...:lol:

I think....:confused:

While I can't predict the future I do believe that with new talent on your team he would get more than just three wins. :beer:

KCL
01-23-2009, 12:04 PM
While I can't predict the future I do believe that with new talent on your team he would get more than just three wins. :beer:

I know TX...That was a joke and a slam to my team the last couple of seasons.See my earlier post to U29 and what he said about the Chiefs.

TXBRONC
01-23-2009, 12:33 PM
I know TX...That was a joke and a slam to my team the last couple of seasons.See my earlier post to U29 and what he said about the Chiefs.

I was just trying to be supportive. :D

KCL
01-23-2009, 12:37 PM
I was just trying to be supportive. :D

I know TX... KCL---------> :dance: ;)

rcsodak
01-23-2009, 03:46 PM

So having the most prolific offense in the league, over a 10yr period, isn't enough to be considered a great coach?

Ask Belicek - Shanny's about the only coach that has a winning record against him.

rcsodak
01-23-2009, 03:51 PM
Well, mad, taking a year off might be just what he needs - recharge his battery....watch other offenses/defenses and do some tinkering with his scheme?

Besides, its' not like he's hurting for money. ;)

rcsodak
01-23-2009, 04:02 PM
Mikey was dead man walking and only Pat silly assed statement of contract for life allowed him to stay..

As for mikey coaching in KC it is a dream come true because his DEFENSE will suck after a couple of years.. and it will all be OFFENSE.. can't teach and old dog new tricks..

Gotta disagree with you , here, jr.

Remember, in Denver, he was the guy making the hiring decisions.

In this situation, it'd be up to Pioli. And look where he came from.

Lonestar
01-23-2009, 05:27 PM
Gotta disagree with you , here, jr.

Remember, in Denver, he was the guy making the hiring decisions.

In this situation, it'd be up to Pioli. And look where he came from.

while you have some valid points here mikey still would be the HC calling the shots on what plays are called and who is playing.. therefore one can lead a horse to water but can;t make him drink applies..

it is called the Jim Bates syndrome/scenario..

elsid13
01-23-2009, 05:32 PM
Shanahan won't coach this year, because all his staff is gone and under contract somewhere else. He could come back, but he would need to find a whole group of guys that would need to trained.

Lonestar
01-23-2009, 05:41 PM
Shanahan won't coach this year, because all his staff is gone and under contract somewhere else. He could come back, but he would need to find a whole group of guys that would need to trained.

great thought let me add..
that and he really does not have to work not sure at 7 mil a year if he can live on that mere pittance but I'd like to try..

RunYouOver
01-23-2009, 05:42 PM
Well ESPN just said he was close to a deal...I have a few questions:

1) What happened to interviewing the minority candidate?

2) Why the hell would Shanny tell us how much he loves this organization and the fans and then go coach the Chiefs?

Something about this isn't right..

Shazam!
01-23-2009, 05:45 PM

2) Why the hell would Shanny tell us how much he loves this organization and the fans and then go coach the Chiefs?

Edwards was a 'minority candidate' so it may not apply. I wish they'd ditch that rule.

Because Shanny is, and has always been about, himself. He may hold a grudge against the Broncos like he does the Raiders.

Northman
01-23-2009, 05:47 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3855917

KANSAS CITY -- Kansas City Chiefs coach Herm Edwards was fired Friday. And former Denver Broncos coach Mike Shanahan may be in line to replace him.
Edwards
Edwards

Edwards was 15-33 in three seasons with the Chiefs, including 2-14 this season.

"On behalf of my family, I want to thank Herm for his service to the Chiefs," Chiefs chairman Clark Hunt said in a team statement. "After careful deliberation over the last week, Scott and I decided that it was in the best interests of the Chiefs to move forward in a different direction.

"This was not an easy decision. Herm is an outstanding football coach and a man of integrity. We appreciate his leadership over the past three seasons, and we wish him all the best in the future."

The Chiefs have been in negotiations to land Shanahan as their next coach and a deal is near, league sources told ESPN's Chris Mortensen.

Edwards' status has been in doubt since the Chiefs hired Scott Pioli as their general manager on Jan. 13. Asked at his introductory news conference about Edwards' status, Pioli declined to say.

"Since my arrival last week, Herm and I have had several conversations as part of my overall evaluation of the football operation," Pioli said in a statement. "After careful consideration, Clark and I felt that it was best to make a change. What I conveyed last week in the press conference I still believe to be true -- Herm is a great man and a tremendous football coach. He respects the game and the league, and he is passionate about his players and his craft.

"Over the course of this last week, I have also spent time meeting and visiting with most of the assistant coaches, and I will continue to do so over the next several days. All of the coaches from last year's staff, with the exception of one, are under contract through the 2009 season."

Edwards was 41-44 in five seasons as head coach of the New York Jets, including three trips to the playoffs.

Edwards came to Kansas City from the Jets and made the playoffs in his first season, when the team was 9-7. But he was under fire after the team finished 4-12 in 2007. Team management gave him its support, but expected a run at the playoffs. Instead, the team went 2-14, leaving Edwards' fate up in the air.

In Edwards' three seasons in Kansas City, only 3 teams had worse records: Detroit, Oakland and St. Louis.

Nomad
01-23-2009, 05:47 PM

Where's Schefter?????:lol:

Northman
01-23-2009, 05:48 PM
I admit, it would suck if Shanahan went to KC. I really hate that team. lol

JONtheBRONCO
01-23-2009, 05:50 PM
Man, that would suck. Still would love Mike, after all he's done for the Broncos. Would be hard to see him in ketchup and mustard on the opposing sideline.

RunYouOver
01-23-2009, 05:51 PM
While the football world has speculated on the Chiefs’ head-coaching search the past few weeks, now the team actually can commence it.

One NFL source said a name near or at the top of the Chiefs’ list is former Steelers coach Bill Cowher, who has been adamant that he will not coach this season. Still, the source said the Chiefs are interested in Cowher, though it’s uncertain whether they would be able to entice him to come out of retirement.

Also on the list is Cardinals offensive coordinator Todd Haley, who used to work on the staff of Bill Parcells, the father-in-law of new Chiefs general manager Scott Pioli. If the Chiefs want to hire Haley, they must wait until after the Super Bowl to make the move.

Dolphins defensive coordinator Paul Pasqualoni also is believed to be on the Chiefs’ list. Pasqualoni had a down season in Miami, but he’s highly respected around the league and used to work with Pioli for two seasons at Syracuse.

Some around the league believe that Chiefs chairman Clark Hunt has a strong feeling for Kansas City offensive coordinator Chan Gailey, though Pioli would have to sign off on the hire, and some doubt that he would.

However it works, the coaching carousel keeps spinning.

And we now have 11 teams that have changed head coaches, more than any other season in NFL history. The changes included two Super Bowl-winning coaches who were fired, two Super-Bowl winning coaches who retired and seven other moves.

The Chiefs and former Broncos coach Mike Shanahan have had no negotiations.

There's adam schefter.

Ziggy
01-23-2009, 05:52 PM
Why shouldn't Shanahan go to the Chiefs if he likes the long term outlook? He didn't quit the Broncos so he could go to a division rival. He was fired. He can go anywhere he wants to go, with no remorse. Just like any player who was dumped by thier team and entered the free agent market.

KCL
01-23-2009, 05:55 PM

:faint: I just was reading this.

NightTrainLayne
01-23-2009, 05:57 PM
If this turns out true, it will be a ding in Shefter's armor for sure.

KCL

What is so wrong about it? I mean really? He was fired by Denver...his services aren't needed or wanted in Denver any longer and KC is in need of a coach.

Shazam!
KC has talent but is a trainwreck. We'll see what kind of Coach he really is if he goes to Arrowhead to try and turn the Chiefs around. KC couldn't win with Joe Montana and all the talent in the NFL on both sides of the ball at the time, and the Broncos were mediocre.

Here's the thing and it's very simple if Shanahan goes to KC. We'll see one of two scenarios.

1-Shanahan delivers consistentcy and a Playoff or Super Bowl contender in the AFC West with KC and Pat Bowlen looks like an ass. Even if Shanny just needed a change of scenery it won't matter. The Broncos will be looked as by making a big mistake if McDaniels doesn't work out. He went elsewhere and had success. It also means that if KC becomes a contender it will adversely affect the Broncos in some form or the other.

2-Shanahan can't bring the Chiefs to over .500 or to .500. The words of some experts and analysts who are non-partisan to the Broncos will sound prophetic. Shanahan is just an overated Offensive Coordinator who can't deliver success without John Elway or Steve Young. That would also mean Denver is doing ok in the AFC West without him. Shanahan's reputation as an elite NFL Coach will be forever destroyed.

I see it as ?!@#ed up if he goes to KC and will view it as a betrayal, but whatever the outcome is, what he was doing clearly wasn't working in Denver anymore. The Broncos are left with their worst defense I have ever seen after he left, with one playoff win in a decade. So to that end, I say thanks for the memories Mike and good riddance.

Oh, and John Gruden is available too. Sure he'd like to play the Raiders twice a year.

Lonestar
01-23-2009, 05:58 PM
Edwards was a 'minority candidate' so it may not apply. I wish they'd ditch that rule.

Because Shanny is, and has always been about, himself. He may hold a grudge against the Broncos like he does the Raiders.

I can't imagine why he would hold a grudge. Him and Pat were best friends unlike al and mikey..

mikey had basically total control for almost 14 years and HAD NO ONE to blame but himself for the failure here, unlike al interfering all the time..

Now unless Pat Stiffs Mikey for the rest of his contract I can't understand why he would have the same issues he did with OAK..

Broncospsycho77
01-23-2009, 05:59 PM
From a KC Blog:

Rumors based on television reports bite. The whole Mike Shanahan-to-the-Chiefs buzz has had my b.s. detector beeping since yesterday afternoon. I just ain't buying it, especially since The Star's NFL writers aren't reporting anything. NFL.com's Adam Schefter, who used to work in Denver and is about as plugged-in as it gets, writes this on his blog:

* "As of mid-day Thursday, the Chiefs and Shanahan haven’t had any contact. None. Zero. Zip. Nada. Yet, within the past hour, I’ve received a half-dozen calls and e-mails from various Kansas City and Denver media outlets, asking if there’s any truth to the rumor that the Chiefs and Shanahan are talking. No, there is not. There is no truth to the rumor. Chiefs officials are at the Senior Bowl in Mobile, Ala., and Shanahan just finished a morning run on the treadmill."

If you read into Schefter's tone, you sense a bit of finger-wagging at the rumor mongers. However, a little later on the same blog, he engages in some wanton speculation: Perhaps Chan Gailey will be the guy.

For the love of Pete, Scott Pioli, just get it done with, already. We've all got Herm-lash and I, for one, need to get ready for the baseball season.

http://uponfurtherreview.kansascity.com/?q=node/468

KCL

when I made this thread...I was joking.I am really in shock so to speak as I really thought like everyone else that it was all a rumor.But it hasn't been announced yet by the Chiefs....has it?

RunYouOver
Another from Schefter:

Despite rampant reports that the Chiefs are negotiating with former Broncos head coach Mike Shanahan to replace Herm Edwards, they are not, sources said Friday.

The Chiefs never have made any contact with Shanahan — never. And there have been no contract negotiations.

So unless people I have known for years are wrong, Shanahan will not be the next coach of the Chiefs. It’s not happening. People can keep talking as if it is, but it’s not. Shanahan will not be the coach of the Chiefs in 2009.

KCL
01-23-2009, 06:02 PM
I admit, it would suck if Shanahan went to KC. I really hate that team. lol

:heh:

:laugh:

I love you! :hug:

Lonestar
01-23-2009, 06:03 PM
when I made this thread...I was joking.I am really in shock so to speak as I really thought like everyone else that it was all a rumor.But it hasn't been announced yet by the Chiefs....has it?

your a really baaaaaaaad girl.. forever to be known as a coach teaser

Shazam!
01-23-2009, 06:03 PM
They couldn't win with Joe friggin' Montana. It'd take a lot more than an Elway-less Shanahan to do anything but bring the Chiefs to .500ish.

KCL
01-23-2009, 06:05 PM

Man, that would suck. Still would love Mike, after all he's done for the Broncos. Would be hard to see him in ketchup and mustard on the opposing sideline.

:lol:

I made my post yesterday!

calibronco
01-23-2009, 06:08 PM

I thought the Rooney Rule only stated that a minority must be included in the interviewing group. Rumors had Pioli talking with Rivera (I think that is his name) from San Diego, thus fitting the minority bill. ??? I could be wrong.

jrelway
01-23-2009, 06:11 PM
dont like what i see here. if this is true, then shanarat he is to me from now on.

KCL
01-23-2009, 06:12 PM
KC has talent but is a trainwreck. We'll see what kind of Coach he really is if he goes to Arrowhead to try and turn the Chiefs around. KC couldn't win with Joe Montana and all the talent in the NFL on both sides of the ball at the time, and the Broncos were mediocre.

Here's the thing and it's very simple if Shanahan goes to KC. We'll see one of two scenarios.

1-Shanahan delivers consistentcy and a Playoff or Super Bowl contender in the AFC West with KC and Pat Bowlen looks like an ass. Even if Shanny just needed a change of scenery it won't matter. The Broncos will be looked as by making a big mistake if McDaniels doesn't work out. He went elsewhere and had success. It also means that if KC becomes a contender it will adversely affect the Broncos in some form or the other.

2-Shanahan can't bring the Chiefs to over .500 or to .500. The words of some experts and analysts who are non-partisan to the Broncos will sound prophetic. Shanahan is just an overated Offensive Coordinator who can't deliver success without John Elway or Steve Young. That would also mean Denver is doing ok in the AFC West without him. Shanahan's reputation as an elite NFL Coach will be forever destroyed.

I see it as ?!@#ed up if he goes to KC and will view it as a betrayal, but whatever the outcome is, what he was doing clearly wasn't working in Denver anymore. The Broncos are left with their worst defense I have ever seen after he left, with one playoff win in a decade. So to that end, I say thanks for the memories Mike and good riddance.

Oh, and John Gruden is available too. Sure he'd like to play the Raiders twice a year.

Half the teams in the NFL are trainwrecks..what's your point? And like ziggy and I both posted...he was FIRED...how the hell could that be betrayal?
Sounds like sourgrapes to me.

Nomad
01-23-2009, 06:13 PM
Shanahan's sitting at some beach resort with a drink in hand and looking at bikinis, sending text messages to ESPN having a good laugh at the circus!:D

KCL
01-23-2009, 06:14 PM
I can't imagine why he would hold a grudge. Him and Pat were best friends unlike al and mikey..

mikey had basically total control for almost 14 years and HAD NO ONE to blame but himself for the failure here, unlike al interfering all the time..

Now unless Pat Stiffs Mikey for the rest of his contract I can't understand why he would have the same issues he did with OAK..

How could you or anyone say he was a failure...2 B2B SB wins,...I was jealous..:lol:

Hell some coaches have never taken a team to the SB...let alone win 2 of them.

KCL
01-23-2009, 06:16 PM
From a KC Blog:

http://uponfurtherreview.kansascity.com/?q=node/468

From the KC STAR....

http://www.kansascity.com/sports/chiefs/story/998240.html

Shazam!
01-23-2009, 06:18 PM
Shanahan's sitting at some beach resort with a drink in hand and looking at bikinis, sending text messages to ESPN having a good laugh at the circus!:D

Shanahan doesn't know how to text. You give him too much credit.

:defense:

Lonestar
01-23-2009, 06:19 PM
How could you or anyone say he was a failure...2 B2B SB wins,...I was jealous..:lol:

Hell some coaches have never taken a team to the SB...let alone win 2 of them.

John, Sharpe, Zimmerman, Gibbs and TD won those. mikey was just along for the ride.. driver of that HOF group . even Barry Swisher won one.

Denver Native (Carol)
Sorry if this has been posted - from ESPN
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3855917

KANSAS CITY, Mo. -- Kansas City Chiefs coach Herm Edwards was fired Friday. And former Denver Broncos coach Mike Shanahan may be in line to replace him.

Edwards was 15-34 in three seasons with the Chiefs, including 2-14 this season. He had one year remaining on his original four-year, $12 million contract.

"On behalf of my family, I want to thank Herm for his service to the Chiefs," Chiefs chairman Clark Hunt said in a team statement. "After careful deliberation over the last week, Scott and I decided that it was in the best interests of the Chiefs to move forward in a different direction.

"This was not an easy decision. Herm is an outstanding football coach and a man of integrity. We appreciate his leadership over the past three seasons, and we wish him all the best in the future."

The Chiefs have been in negotiations to land Shanahan as their next coach and a deal is near, league sources told ESPN's Chris Mortensen.

Edwards' status has been in doubt since the Chiefs hired Scott Pioli as their general manager on Jan. 13. Asked at his introductory news conference about Edwards' status, Pioli declined to say.

"Since my arrival last week, Herm and I have had several conversations as part of my overall evaluation of the football operation," Pioli said in a statement. "After careful consideration, Clark and I felt that it was best to make a change. What I conveyed last week in the press conference I still believe to be true -- Herm is a great man and a tremendous football coach. He respects the game and the league, and he is passionate about his players and his craft.

"Over the course of this last week, I have also spent time meeting and visiting with most of the assistant coaches, and I will continue to do so over the next several days. All of the coaches from last year's staff, with the exception of one, are under contract through the 2009 season."

Edwards was 41-44 in five seasons as head coach of the New York Jets, including three trips to the playoffs.

Edwards came to Kansas City from the Jets and made the playoffs in his first season, when the team was 9-7. But he was under fire after the team finished 4-12 in 2007. Team management gave him its support, but expected a run at the playoffs. Instead, the team went 2-14.

In Edwards' three seasons in Kansas City, only three teams had worse records: Detroit, Oakland and St. Louis.

Prior to joining the Jets, Edwards spent five seasons serving as assistant head coach/defensive backs coach for the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, working under head coach Tony Dungy. Edwards served as a scout for Kansas City from '90-91 before joining Marty Schottenheimer's staff as defensive backs coach ('92-94).

Broncospsycho77
From the KC STAR....

http://www.kansascity.com/sports/chiefs/story/998240.html

The story:

Chiefs fire Edwards, and Shanahan might be on the way
The Kansas City Star
Herm Edwards won't be on the Chiefs sidelines as head coach anymore.
DAVID EULITT |The Kansas City Star

The Chiefs have fired coach Herm Edwards after three seasons, and some reports had former Denver coach Mike Shanahan as the likely target to take his place.

The move came 10 days after new general manager Scott Pioli was introduced as Carl Peterson's replacement and a lengthy and mysterious period in which word rarely leaked about Pioli's thinking or the direction the Chiefs might go.

"After careful deliberation over the last week, Scott and I decided that it was in the best interests of the Chiefs to move forward in a different direction," team chairman Clark Hunt said in a statement released by the team. "This was not an easy decision. Herm is an outstanding football coach and a man of integrity. We appreciate his leadership over the past three seasons, and we wish him all the best in the future."

Three of Edwards' assistants left within the past week: secondary coach David Gibbs to Houston, special teams coach Mike Priefer to Denver and defensive coordinator Gunther Cunningham to Detroit. Edwards was told last week he would not be going to Mobile, Ala., for the annual Senior Bowl, the first formal chance for NFL coaches to scout college prospects.

"I would like to express my sincere gratitude to the Hunt family for the opportunity to spend nine seasons with the Kansas City Chiefs," Edwards said in a statement. "There is not a more gracious family in all of professional sports than the Hunts. To the players and coaches who worked so hard for our team, I appreciate their efforts. This is going to be a very good football team. I respect the tough decision that was made to move in a new direction. I wish the players and the organization the very best as they move forward."

Edwards was 15-33 in Kansas City, including going 4-12 in 2007 and 2-14 in '08.

"Since my arrival last week, Herm and I have had several conversations as part of my overall evaluation of the football operation," new general manager Scott Pioli said. "After careful consideration, Clark and I felt that it was best to make a change.

"What I conveyed last week in the press conference I still believe to be true – Herm is a great man and a tremendous football coach. He respects the game and the league, and he is passionate about his players and his craft.

“Over the course of this last week, I have also spent time meeting and visiting with most of the assistant coaches, and I will continue to do so over the next several days. All of the coaches from last year's staff, with the exception of one, are under contract through the 2009 season."

KCL
01-23-2009, 06:29 PM
All these are rumors at this point.No need to get all bent out of shape Shazam...;)

It's hard telling but I would imagine since it's all over the sports networks that Herm was fired...several writers are going at it trying to outdo one another.

Who knows if it's true or not? Hell I sure don't.:rolleyes:

RunYouOver
01-23-2009, 06:30 PM
Telling you guys...it's just NOT true.

Shazam!
01-23-2009, 06:31 PM
Bent out of shape? You're nuts. Just discussing it and speculating, that's all.

turftoad
01-23-2009, 06:32 PM
MORT AND SCHEFTER DUEL OVER REPORTS OF SHANAHAN TO CHIEFS
Posted by Mike Florio on January 23, 2009, 5:48 p.m.
This is getting pretty good.Two of the top NFL information men in the business are engaged in a duel regarding the question of whether the Kansas City Chiefs are talking to former Broncos coach Mike Shanahan regarding the possibility of replacing former Chiefs coach Herm Edwards.

Chris Mortensen of ESPN reports that the Chiefs and Shanahan are closing in on a deal.

Adam Schefter of NFL Network reported on Thursday, and has reiterated today, that the Chiefs have made no contact with Shanahan.

“[U]nless people I have known for years are blatantly lying to me, Shanahan is not going to be the next head coach of the Kansas City Chiefs,” Schefter writes. “It is not happening. People can keep talking as if it is. But it is not. He will not be the head coach of the Kansas City Chiefs in 2009.”

Pistols or swords, gentlemen?

OrangeHoof
01-23-2009, 06:33 PM
I won't believe it until I see the press conference. First, is Pioli willing to share power with a coach like Shanahan? I doubt it. And, then, does Shanahan want to work where he has less power than he did in Denver? I doubt that too.

My thought would be that Pioli's first coaching hire would be one he has past experience with - such as Romeo Crenel.

KCL
01-23-2009, 06:34 PM
Telling you guys...it's just NOT true.

ok

Bent out of shape? You're nuts. Just discussing it and speculating, that's all.

uh huh...ok

Nomad
01-23-2009, 06:34 PM
MORT AND SCHEFTER DUEL OVER REPORTS OF SHANAHAN TO CHIEFS
Posted by Mike Florio on January 23, 2009, 5:48 p.m.
This is getting pretty good.Two of the top NFL information men in the business are engaged in a duel regarding the question of whether the Kansas City Chiefs are talking to former Broncos coach Mike Shanahan regarding the possibility of replacing former Chiefs coach Herm Edwards.

Chris Mortensen of ESPN reports that the Chiefs and Shanahan are closing in on a deal.

Adam Schefter of NFL Network reported on Thursday, and has reiterated today, that the Chiefs have made no contact with Shanahan.

“[U]nless people I have known for years are blatantly lying to me, Shanahan is not going to be the next head coach of the Kansas City Chiefs,” Schefter writes. “It is not happening. People can keep talking as if it is. But it is not. He will not be the head coach of the Kansas City Chiefs in 2009.”

Pistols or swords, gentlemen?

I want to see Mortensen vs Schefter in a UFC match! :D

Shazam!
01-23-2009, 06:35 PM
John Gruden anyone?

jrelway
01-23-2009, 06:35 PM
i got my money on mort

KCL
01-23-2009, 06:37 PM
I wish Mike would get his ass in this thread and set the record straight.:laugh:

Lonestar
01-23-2009, 06:38 PM
I wish Mike would get his ass in this thread and set the record straight.:laugh:

gag a maggot :salute:

Shazam!
01-23-2009, 06:39 PM
Mike doesn't know how to use the internet...

RunYouOver
01-23-2009, 06:40 PM
Mort's almost lost his job before for reporting false info...note ESPN's change from "close to signing" to "they're targeting him."

Schefter wouldn't just go out and say it's a LIE unless he was confident...

Nomad
01-23-2009, 06:41 PM
Mike doesn't know how to use the internet...

Man your hard on the guy!

Lonestar
01-23-2009, 06:43 PM

it was stated goal of his while he was of to learn how to use the INTERNET and Text. he had been to busy before and had TED to do it for him.. :D

KCL

sour grapes

Nomad
Mort's almost lost his job before for reporting false info...note ESPN's change from "close to signing" to "they're targeting him."

RYO! I don't believe anyone takes it serious until they introduce him as the HC. Anyway, I could care less, but lighten up and have a little fun with it!:beer:

KCL
01-23-2009, 06:45 PM
RYO! I don't believe anyone takes it serious until they introduce him as the HC. Anyway, I could care less, but lighten up and have a little fun with it!:beer:

exactly...like I posted a page back...it's rumors...and all these sports guys are trying to outdo one another.

RunYouOver
01-23-2009, 06:49 PM

Sorry...if you've checked Broncomania there's a guy there who posted this rumor a few days ago and is now trying to act like he knows all...kind of pisses me off seeing all these fans taking it as official and bashing Shanny. :cool:

GEM

Thank you. Mortenson says whatever he thinks is a killer story without any facts and then says whoops afterwards.

weazel
John, Sharpe, Zimmerman, Gibbs and TD won those. mikey was just along for the ride.. driver of that HOF group . even Barry Swisher won one.

I think you're just venting Jrwiz. Shanahan is the best coach this organization has ever had BY FAR, and he was a BIG part of the superbowl wins. It wasn't John, Zimmerman, Gibbs and TD calling those plays. It was Kubiak AND Shanahan, go watch the superbowl wins again and tell me he didn't do a great job here. One of the best calls was watching him on the sideline telling Rod Smith to streak down the center of the field on the next play and he would be wide open, and sure enough he knew EXACTLY what Atlanta was going to do.

He may have lost some luster around Denver, but noone can say he wasn't part of the great ride we had here. This team has one of the best winning percentages over the time he was here, that doesn't just happen.

KCL
01-23-2009, 06:50 PM
Sorry...if you've checked Broncomania there's a guy there who posted this rumor a few days ago and is now trying to act like he knows all...kind of pisses me off seeing all these fans taking it as official and bashing Shanny. :cool:

yep...I agree...now Herm that's the guy who deserves a bashing.

silkamilkamonico
01-23-2009, 06:51 PM
Mortensen broke the Eli Manning injury last year, saying he was out for a minimum of 6 weeks, and most likely the year.

Big whoops on that one.

weazel
01-23-2009, 06:53 PM
[/SIZE]

Herm should change his last name to Aphrodite

Northman
01-23-2009, 06:54 PM
Shanahan isn’t a candidate in Kansas City

Posted: Adam Schefter | Adam Schefter | Tags: Kansas City Chiefs, Mike Shanahan

Despite rampant reports that the Chiefs are negotiating with former Broncos head coach Mike Shanahan to replace Herm Edwards, they are not, sources said Friday.

The Chiefs never have made any contact with Shanahan — never. And there have been no contract negotiations.

So unless people I have known for years are wrong, Shanahan will not be the next coach of the Chiefs. It’s not happening. People can keep talking as if it is, but it’s not. Shanahan will not be the coach of the Chiefs in 2009.

http://blogs.nfl.com/2009/01/23/shan...n-kansas-city/

KCL
01-23-2009, 06:55 PM
Herm should change his last name to Aphrodite

Your sig has put me in a trance...:lol:

Nomad
01-23-2009, 06:55 PM
[/SIZE]

ZERO wins in Dec in the last 2 yrs even at Arrowhead! WOW! I'm surprised he wasn't gone sooner!

KCL
01-23-2009, 06:57 PM
ZERO wins in Dec in the last 2 yrs even at Arrowhead! WOW! I'm surprised he wasn't gone sooner!

Carl Peterson...need I say more?

GEM
01-23-2009, 06:57 PM
Mortensen broke the Eli Manning injury last year, saying he was out for a minimum of 6 weeks, and most likely the year.

Big whoops on that one.

He just got in some trouble for breaking that the Raiders were on the market for sale. Al may be senile but I think what he called Mort had some truth to it.

elsid13
01-23-2009, 06:58 PM
I think it Shanahan but ain't Mike, it Kyle.

Nomad
01-23-2009, 07:05 PM
Who gets fired if they're wrong, Mortenson or Schefter!!!!:ponder:

Magnificent Seven
01-23-2009, 07:06 PM

Denver Native (Carol),

Next time, please be more accurate on any article or from news. It confused us big time.

Magnificent Seven
01-23-2009, 07:07 PM
Denver Native (Carol),

Next time, please be more accurate on any article or from news. It confused us big time.

With full name. Thanks!

OrangeHoof
01-23-2009, 07:08 PM
note ESPN's change from "close to signing" to "they're targeting him."

Exactly. It's one thing for the Chiefs to target Shanny. It's another thing for Shanny to sign with them. I just don't think it is anywhere close to happening.

Let's not forget that there are often contracts where someone can't just move on to a team that is direct competition with them. IOW, if Shanahan wanted to sign with an NFC team, it might be cool but he may be contractually obligated not to sign with another AFC team or AFC West team for a certain amount of time, just as a Marriott executive can't turn around and work for Hilton until a certain time frame has passed.

Lonestar
01-23-2009, 07:12 PM
I think you're just venting Jrwiz. Shanahan is the best coach this organization has ever had BY FAR, and he was a BIG part of the superbowl wins. It wasn't John, Zimmerman, Gibbs and TD calling those plays. It was Kubiak AND Shanahan, go watch the superbowl wins again and tell me he didn't do a great job here. One of the best calls was watching him on the sideline telling Rod Smith to streak down the center of the field on the next play and he would be wide open, and sure enough he knew EXACTLY what Atlanta was going to do.

He may have lost some luster around Denver, but noone can say he wasn't part of the great ride we had here. This team has one of the best winning percentages over the time he was here, that doesn't just happen.

yes he called a great game But since then without all the HOF talent he has not accomplished much.. Unless you watching a different Bronco team than I am and the last three years have stunk according to Bronco standards..

I'm not saying he was lousy just was stale and out of touch since the good old days..

BTW thanks for bringing up Rod I had forgotten about him and EDDIE MAC..

Shazam!
01-23-2009, 07:17 PM
10 years later, a Griese and a Plummer, 4 playoff seasons, one playoff win, one division title, .500 in 32 games, 4 defensive coordinators and one of the worst defenses the Broncos have ever seen and in the NFL...

Shanahan came to a Broncos team that was 7-9 and, believe it or not had plenty of talent. I'd like to see him go to St. Louis or Detroit and see what he can do there.

I thank Shanny for the Championship seasons he had delivered to the Broncos. But the luster is lost and the magic was dead. Denver needed a change instead of being reminded how great things used to be. Routinely getting embarassed several times in the past few years at home didn't help either.

I think the Broncos and Shanahan are better off.

Again, I still say he should've resigned when Elway retired and said "I accomplished what we set out to do. I have nothing left to prove here and I can do no more for the Denver Broncos. The franchise is better now than when I arrived. With that in mind, I believe it is in the best interests of the organization that I step down as head Coach, and the team moves on."

JONtheBRONCO
01-23-2009, 07:19 PM
10 years later, a Griese and a Plummer, 4 playoff seasons, one playoff win, one division title, .500 in 32 games, 4 defensive coordinators and one of the worst defenses the Broncos have ever seen and in the NFL...

Shanahan came to a Broncos team that was 7-9 and, believe it or not had plenty of talent. I'd like to see him go to St. Louis or Detroit and see what he can do there.

I thank Shanny for the Championship seasons he had delivered to the Broncos. But the luster is gone and the magic dead. Denver needed a change instead of being reminded how great things used to be.

The "Negative Nancy" award for the year goes to non other THAN!!!.....

TXBRONC
01-23-2009, 07:21 PM
What is so wrong about it? I mean really? He was fired by Denver...his services aren't needed or wanted in Denver any longer and KC is in need of a coach.

I don't have a problem with him going to KC he is free to do so if they offer.

Shazam!
01-23-2009, 07:42 PM
The "Negative Nancy" award for the year goes to non other THAN!!!.....

Nothing negative about it it's the truth. The Broncos' mediocrity wasn't acceptable to Pat Bowlen, therefore it shouldn't be acceptable by the fans, especially the season ticket holders.

I know some of the younger people may not believe this but... :listen:the Broncos existed before 1995...

Nobody is bigger than the Broncos, except John Elway when he was playing.

:defense:

hamrob
01-23-2009, 07:49 PM
For the record. The 97-98 Broncos were far from their championship selves come 2000. Elway was gone, TD was through, Sharpe was on the downslope, Zim was gone, Atwater gone...etc. etc.

Shanny rebuilt with Plummer. He got us to the Championship game at home...only to watch Plummer play like an idiot. This was in 2005.

So, he rebuilt again. He went and got Cutler, Marshall, Royal, Clady, Harris, Scheffler and turned our offense into one of the most explosive in the nfl after only 3 yrs. Just like he did after Elway (only with the wrong QB) he did again in 2006.

What would have been....in two years...after Shanny focused on defense? We'll never know. But to say...that he wasn't effective is wrong. He rebuilt twice...and was well on his way the 2nd time around.

I for one...want no part of him coaching in K.C. I hope he signs with an NFC team personally.

Denver Native (Carol)
01-23-2009, 08:05 PM
Denver Native (Carol),

Dear Magnificent Seven - In post #4, I added Shanahan.

Now - something I heard not long ago - Adam Schefter was talking with Dave Logan, 850KOA today on the Ride Home, and Adam stated the Chief's next coach will be Cowher - that's Bill Cowher

KCL
01-23-2009, 08:07 PM

Now - something I heard not long ago - Adam Schefter was talking with Dave Logan, 850KOA today on the Ride Home, and Adam stated the Chief's next coach will be Cowher - that's Bill Cowher

Another rumor.......:faint:

TXBRONC
01-23-2009, 08:10 PM

That's interesting, because I heard Cowher was looking to have same kind of control of player personnel that Shanahan had in Denver.

Denver Native (Carol)
01-23-2009, 08:11 PM
Another rumor.......:faint:

It might be, but Adam seemed pretty confident in it???????

KCL
01-23-2009, 08:13 PM
It might be, but Adam seemed pretty confident in it???????

Isn't he the one who writes and reports on NFL.com? I sure haven't heard or read much about Bill...Cowher that is...;)

Denver Native (Carol)
01-23-2009, 08:27 PM
Isn't he the one who writes and reports on NFL.com? I sure haven't heard or read much about Bill...Cowher that is...;)

Yes - that's him. He worked for the Denver Post here before that, he also co-authored the book "Think Like a Champion" with Mike Shanahan. The reason Dave Logan spoke with him today on the radio was to clear up the Shanahan rumor to KC - which Mortensen was today reporting, vs the not going to KC report that Adam was reporting, and that is when Adam not only said the name Cowher, but he said it 3 times in a row. So - it's a wait and see situation.

Nomad
01-23-2009, 08:29 PM
ESPN has changed from 'targeted' to 'lure' Mikey S!:drinking::lol:

atwater27
01-23-2009, 08:35 PM
Things are getting pretty crazy right now. Schefter is pretty much betting his life that Shanahan will NOT coach the Chiefs.

slim
01-23-2009, 08:38 PM
Things are getting pretty crazy right now. Schefter is pretty much betting his life that Shanahan will NOT coach the Chiefs.

Schefter would know...I wish he was still at the Denver Post.

TXBRONC
01-23-2009, 08:38 PM
Yes - that's him. He worked for the Denver Post here before that, he also co-authored the book "Think Like a Champion" with Mike Shanahan. The reason Dave Logan spoke with him today on the radio was to clear up the Shanahan rumor to KC - which Mortensen was today reporting, vs the not going to KC report that Adam was reporting, and that is when Adam not only said the name Cowher, but he said it 3 times in a row. So - it's a wait and see situation.

Schefter saying some one's name three times in row doesn't mean much to me. The first thing the Chiefs have to do anyway is satisfy the Rooney Rule before they can hire anyone. At any rate you're right it's a wait and see situation.

KCL
01-23-2009, 08:40 PM

Very interesting Carol...I need to listen to KC 610 as they report sports and are usually right on the money.

Lonestar
01-23-2009, 08:42 PM
For the record. The 97-98 Broncos were far from their championship selves come 2000. Elway was gone, TD was through, Sharpe was on the downslope, Zim was gone, Atwater gone...etc. etc.

Shanny rebuilt with Plummer. He got us to the Championship game at home...only to watch Plummer play like an idiot. This was in 2005.

So, he rebuilt again. He went and got Cutler, Marshall, Royal, Clady, Harris, Scheffler and turned our offense into one of the most explosive in the nfl after only 3 yrs. Just like he did after Elway (only with the wrong QB) he did again in 2006.

What would have been....in two years...after Shanny focused on defense? We'll never know. But to say...that he wasn't effective is wrong. He rebuilt twice...and was well on his way the 2nd time around.

I for one...want no part of him coaching in K.C. I hope he signs with an NFC team personally.

to hear all the mikey lovers say it, he just kept reloading, he did not have to rebuild..

Now we all know how much bovine excrement that was..

Superchop 7
01-23-2009, 08:56 PM
If I'm Shanny......I take it.

Best draft I've seen in years...... last year. (Chiefs)

Great draft position "this" year.........franchise QB.

Off to the races....

slim
01-23-2009, 08:58 PM

Off to the races....

Yeah, because if there is one thing Shanny knows it is a good draft.

KCL
01-23-2009, 09:07 PM

Don't think Shanny would be doing the picking.

Peerless
01-23-2009, 09:08 PM

Off to the races....

And exactly who is that franchise QB that you're talking about??

SBboundBRONCOS
01-23-2009, 09:10 PM
And exactly who is that franchise QB that you're talking about??

stafford or sanchez i presume

NameUsedBefore
01-23-2009, 09:10 PM
I don't know what Schefter thinks he is doing with his confidence. If there's one coach whose decisions I wouldn't weigh my confidence on it would be shady ****ing Shanahan and his damn shenanigans. And I'm not even kidding; look at our QB, who the hell saw that coming, honestly?

Peerless
01-23-2009, 09:13 PM
stafford or sanchez i presume

Please....

:rolleyes:

Broncos Mtnman
01-23-2009, 09:14 PM
Another from Schefter:

I'm not saying Schefter is wrong, but I remember when he was still a Denver hack and he stated without a doubt that John Elway was retiring. The problem with that guarantee was that it came after the first SB win. John obviously came back.

Just saying....

ApaOps5
01-23-2009, 09:51 PM
No actually Shanahan won't be the Chiefs next coach. And Schefter is never wrong about all things Shanahan and Bowlen. Mort was just on ESPN saying he spoke to a Chiefs insider and Shanahan is not going to be their coach. Mort with HUGE egg on his face.

Lonestar
01-23-2009, 09:54 PM

coors or Bud

Lonestar
01-23-2009, 09:55 PM
No actually Shanahan won't be the Chiefs next coach. And Schefter is never wrong about all things Shanahan and Bowlen. Mort was just on ESPN saying he spoke to a Chiefs insider and Shanahan is not going to be their coach. Mort with HUGE egg on his face.

Hey guy thanks for the post, have not seen you in a while glad to see you back..

ApaOps5
01-23-2009, 09:57 PM
Thanks, I have been tending to the Mane for most the season. Its home and its getting inundated with crap lately. But I wanted to see the pulse here with this Shanahan rumor. I still read here a good bit just don't post as much.

Lonestar
01-23-2009, 10:15 PM
Thanks, I have been tending to the Mane for most the season. Its home and its getting inundated with crap lately. But I wanted to see the pulse here with this Shanahan rumor. I still read here a good bit just don't post as much.

always room for a quality poster..

broncos4life88
01-23-2009, 10:22 PM
So is it a rumor or not? :confused: I too saw that he was going to KC on the net today. Sounds pretty true...as long as Chris Mortensen didn't report it then it's true. :lol:

KCL
01-23-2009, 10:23 PM
So is it a rumor or not? :confused: I too saw that he was going to KC on the net today. Sounds pretty true...as long as Chris Mortensen didn't report it then it's true. :lol:

:noidea:

ApaOps5
01-23-2009, 10:23 PM
No Schefter and Dave Logan both shot this down. Now Mort is trying to save his reputation. He looks like the biggest hack now. I can't believe he said a deal was imminent.

TXBRONC
01-23-2009, 10:25 PM
:noidea:

Where the heck is your womanly intuition on this one KCL? :D

KCL
01-23-2009, 10:28 PM
Where the heck is your womanly intuition on this one KCL? :D

TX...I have heard way too many rumors about who will be our coach.It's wore me out.:laugh:

KCL
01-23-2009, 10:30 PM
No Schefter and Dave Logan both shot this down. Now Mort is trying to save his reputation. He looks like the biggest hack now. I can't believe he said a deal was imminent.

Maybe it was and then both sides decided to back off...yea I think we should go with that.

ApaOps5
01-23-2009, 10:35 PM
[/FONT]

Maybe it was and then both sides decided to back off...yea I think we should go with that.

Thats the thing. KC press is shitting themselves. They aren't used to the secrecy that Piloi has placed on the team. So any rumor they hear they are jumping all over.

KCL
01-23-2009, 10:36 PM
Thats the thing. KC press is shitting themselves. They aren't used to the secrecy that Piloi has placed on the team. So any rumor they hear they are jumping all over.

Not just the KC Press...where do you think they're getting their info?

jrelway
01-23-2009, 10:40 PM
from rotoworld

ESPN's Chris Mortensen has backed off his report that the Chiefs are in contract negotiations with Mike Shanahan.

Adam Schefter took Mort to school. After Mort said earlier Friday that Shanhan was close to joining the Chiefs, Schefter categorially said that Shanahan isn't returning to coaching in K.C. Mort now admits some of his "five sources" say a marriage is unlikely and the sides may not have even spoken. There looks to be interest from Kansas City's side, but it doesn't appear to be mutual. Scott Pioli can't be enjoying this. Jan. 23 - 9:34 pm et
Source: ESPN.com

morts a biotch

TXBRONC
01-23-2009, 10:43 PM
TX...I have heard way too many rumors about who will be our coach.It's wore me out.:laugh:

I thought a woman's intuition was always on auto-pilot? ;)

KCL
01-23-2009, 10:44 PM
I thought a woman's intuition was always on auto-pilot? ;)

It was when I woke this morning but as the day has gone on...it has too.

UnderArmour
01-23-2009, 10:47 PM

:rolleyes: Shanahan is one of the great offensive minds in the NFL. To say he had little part in those Super Bowls is ridiculous.

TXBRONC
01-23-2009, 10:50 PM
:rolleyes: Shanahan is one of the great offensive minds in the NFL. To say he had little part in those Super Bowls is ridiculous.

Exactly for anyone to say that is idiotic, that's the kind say about it.

SmilinAssasSin27
01-24-2009, 12:26 AM
Shanny got along w/ his Tight End, so he was okay in my book.

PatricktheDookie
01-24-2009, 12:45 AM
Shanny got along w/ his Tight End, so he was okay in my book.

haha!

Lonestar
01-24-2009, 01:05 AM
:rolleyes: Shanahan WAS one of the great offensive minds in the NFL. To say he had little part in those Super Bowls is ridiculous.

edited for accuracy..

lately he has become stale.. Do you really think he could have won those two games without John, TD, Sharpe, Rod, Eddie mac, Zimmerman and friends..

face it he was in the right place at the right time.. started a relatively unknown way of OLINE blocking with Gibbs and NO one knew how to defense it.. now they do so it is not as effective as it was..

any way mikey is gone get over it..

Shazam!
01-24-2009, 01:13 AM

Gibbs, Turner, Robinson, Elway... There was a lot of factors and at the time there were TONS of leadership on the field on both sides.

That's like saying it was all TD too. If it wasn't for the OLine, TD wouldn't have been the Back he was, and John Elway wouldn't have been the same player in his twilight years, 96-98. THAT is what made the Broncos great those years. The Broncos OLine.

It was also 10+ years ago. To say Shanahan was on a rebuild that was guaranteed to work out as it did then? That's a stretch and nothing is locked up. This team had zero motivation and emotion on the field, something the 90's Broncos never had a problem with. As the leaders on the field declined due to retirement or injury (Rod, Al, Lynch, etc) so did the overall leadership on the team. That's what was missed most IMO, especially on defense.

JPPT1974
01-24-2009, 01:16 AM
Wonder how, the Broncos fans will treat him.
Come when, he is at Mile High, playing against an AFC West nemesis?!