PDA

View Full Version : McDaniels hires younger brother as part of coaching staff.

Nature Boy
01-22-2009, 11:03 AM
http://www.denverpost.com/popular/ci_11520216

New Broncos coach Josh McDaniels continued to fill out his staff Wednesday, adding younger brother Ben McDaniels and Jay Rodgers as assistant coaches.

Ben McDaniels, 28, will coach his first season in the NFL after he was in charge of quarterbacks at Massillon Jackson High School in Ohio last year. He played quarterback at Kent State from 1999-2001.

Rodgers, 32, will also enter his first NFL season after coaching nine seasons in the NCAA ranks. He most recently was Iowa State's wide receivers coach from 2007-08.

-Denver Post

That's right, more of that much needed veteran coaching experience this 32 yr old Head Coach needs.

I see Mike Nolan taking over the team in +/- 2 years.

Nature Boy
01-22-2009, 11:13 AM
Shocker here Nature Boy... You're negative the entire time Shanny is coach. Now we have a new coach, you're still negative. Hah.

You have the wrong guy buddy. 2nd time I've told you this.

I always supported Mike Shanahan and most his decisions except putting Cutler in way to early but those were the BroncosFreak days.

omac
01-22-2009, 11:37 AM
http://www.denverpost.com/popular/ci_11520216

New Broncos coach Josh McDaniels continued to fill out his staff Wednesday, adding younger brother Ben McDaniels and Jay Rodgers as assistant coaches.

Ben McDaniels, 28, will coach his first season in the NFL after he was in charge of quarterbacks at Massillon Jackson High School in Ohio last year. He played quarterback at Kent State from 1999-2001.

Rodgers, 32, will also enter his first NFL season after coaching nine seasons in the NCAA ranks. He most recently was Iowa State's wide receivers coach from 2007-08.

-Denver Post

That's right, more of that much needed veteran coaching experience this 32 yr old Head Coach needs.

I see Mike Nolan taking over the team in +/- 2 years.

Wow, I hope not; Mike Nolan hasn't shown to be a good head coach, and not just with his record. The way he mishandled the situation with Alex Smith in 2007, then turning a blind eye to the quarterback "competition" of Martz that made O'Sullivan "win" over Hill. Not a lot of leadership traits there.

McDaniels must be filled with confidence in taking 2 rookie NFL position coaches, while letting go of our very good, seasoned QB and WRs coaches.

Here's hoping it works out great. :tea:

G_Money
01-22-2009, 12:01 PM
Wow, I hope not; Mike Nolan hasn't shown to be a good head coach, and not just with his record. The way he mishandled the situation with Alex Smith in 2007, then turning a blind eye to the quarterback "competition" of Martz that made O'Sullivan "win" over Hill. Not a lot of leadership traits there.

McDaniels must be filled with confidence in taking 2 rookie NFL position coaches, while letting go of our very good, seasoned QB and WRs coaches.

Here's hoping it works out great. :tea:

Um...our new QB coach and OC has more experience than our old QB coach/OC. :confused:

Bates began his coaching career with Tampa Bay, serving as the offensive quality control coach from 2002 to 2003. Then assistant quarterback coach in 2004 and became the New York Jets' quarterbacks coach in 2005. Then us in 2006 and 2007 as QB coach and then QB coach/passing game OC.

McCoy was with the Panthers for 9 years, as an offensive assistant, WR coach and QB coach.

These 2 new guys aren’t being brought on as position coaches, to the best of my knowledge. They’re assistants. Gophers. They break down film and get coffee.

We’ll see, I guess, but for the coming year they aren’t replacing the guys who left.

Our new WR coach has less experience, true...But sometimes you take a chance on a young guy – like we did with Bates. Taking a chance on a guy who learned the passing game from Mike Martz doesn’t seem like a bad chance to take, to me.

~G

omac
01-22-2009, 12:10 PM
Um...our new QB coach and OC has more experience than our old QB coach/OC. :confused:

Bates began his coaching career with Tampa Bay, serving as the offensive quality control coach from 2002 to 2003. Then assistant quarterback coach in 2004 and became the New York Jets' quarterbacks coach in 2005. Then us in 2006 and 2007 as QB coach and then QB coach/passing game OC.

McCoy was with the Panthers for 9 years, as an offensive assistant, WR coach and QB coach.

These 2 new guys aren’t being brought on as position coaches, to the best of my knowledge. They’re assistants. Gophers. They break down film and get coffee.

We’ll see, I guess, but for the coming year they aren’t replacing the guys who left.

Our new WR coach has less experience, true...But sometimes you take a chance on a young guy – like we did with Bates. Taking a chance on a guy who learned the passing game from Mike Martz doesn’t seem like a bad chance to take, to me.

~G

Oh, sorry, you're right. I forgot about McCoy as the QB coach. I read what was written in the paragraph about McDaniels being a QB coach and Rodgers being a WR coach and it stuck.

I have no qualms about them being gophers and developing into quality NFL coaches later on. :tea:

omac
01-22-2009, 12:14 PM
Off-topic, but I'm not sold on McCoy. Delhomme is usually a clutch player, but he can be really inconsistent.

LRtagger
01-22-2009, 12:14 PM
No big news here. Like G said these guys will probably be washing jock straps and ordering takeout while sitting in on meetings and taking in knowledge when they can. I highly doubt they will contribute in any way to player development or gameplans.

Still a sweet gig for anyone trying to get into coaching. It helps to know people.

LRtagger
01-22-2009, 12:15 PM
Off-topic, but I'm not sold on McCoy. Delhomme is usually a clutch player, but he can be really inconsistent.

Yes but Delhomme does not have nearly the physical tools that Jay has. When I watch Delhomme play I am amazed the guy is even a starting NFL qb. He was definitely coached up.

Nature Boy
01-22-2009, 12:21 PM
I wish Barrack Obama was my older brother...

Lonestar
01-22-2009, 04:45 PM

These 2 new guys aren’t being brought on as position coaches, to the best of my knowledge. They’re assistants. Gophers. They break down film and get coffee.We’ll see, I guess, but for the coming year they aren’t replacing the guys who left.

~G

just like all of mikeys coaches so we should be ahead now..

Lonestar
01-22-2009, 04:47 PM
I wish Barrack Obama was my older brother...

another one like 3000..:laugh::laugh::laugh:

silkamilkamonico
01-22-2009, 04:54 PM
McDaniels has done a great job hiring proven veteran coaches as part of the staff. Denver hasn't had a coaching staff this good since, probably in Shanahan's early tenure.

Dirk
01-23-2009, 07:24 AM
McDaniels has done a great job hiring proven veteran coaches as part of the staff. Denver hasn't had a coaching staff this good since, probably in Shanahan's early tenure.

Agreed. I'm looking forward to seeing how it all gels. :coffee:

TXBRONC
01-23-2009, 10:01 AM

Delhomme's inconsistency might be related to coaching, but I tend to think it has more to do with the fact that Delhomme is a journeyman quarterback.

Rick
01-23-2009, 01:48 PM
While it does raise eyebrows when people in postion hire family members this really is pointless talk.

It is not like he was hired to be a cord. of any kind.

If Obama hires a family member to take out the trash in the whitehouse we going to hear crap about him hiring unexperianced family members to his administration as well?

TXBRONC
01-23-2009, 02:06 PM
I'm not worried about McDaniels hiring his little brother. As someone else mentioned it's not like he was hired to be a coordinator.