PDA

View Full Version : Broncos Hire Former Chargers TE Coach

Italianmobstr7
01-22-2009, 02:51 AM
The Chargers could essentially swap tight ends coaches with division rival Denver.

The Broncos have hired Clancy Barone, who was fired by the Chargers last week. And before leaving Mobile, head coach Norv Turner interviewed Pat McPherson, who spent the past 11 seasons coaching the Broncos before being let go in the coaching change there this month. McPherson coached the Broncos quarterbacks from 2003-06.

Turner still has one candidate for the tight end job to interview, and Turner must still make a decision on his new offensive line coach.

The Chargers on Wednesday hired two defensive assistants, adding Greg Williams to assist John Pagano with linebackers and Cris Dishman to assist Steve Wilks with defensive backs.

Williams had been a graduate assistant at the University of Pittsburgh. Dishman played cornerback for 13 seasons in the NFL, including for Turner in Washington. Dishman, twice a Pro Bowler, has been coaching defense at Menlo College since '06.

http://www3.signonsandiego.com/stories/2009/jan/21/chargers-draft-homework-under-way/?chargers

TXBRONC
01-22-2009, 06:33 AM
I have no reason not trust that McDaniels is trying to put together the best possible coaching staff that he can. But it just seems weird that so many of his new staff are coming from our division rivals.

CoachChaz
01-22-2009, 08:26 AM
Best I can guess is that it makes sense from a "tell me what you guys did" point of view

G_Money
01-22-2009, 09:12 AM
Sure, that could be part of it, but it’s also hard to argue with “coach of division rival that turned mediocre LBs into studs”, “coach of division rival that has had record-setting special-teams output wherever he’s gone”, “coach of division rival that taught his defensive line how to turn our vaunted offense into paste every year” and “coach of division rival that produced all-pro Tight-End efforts.”

It’s not like we’re hiring untalented hacks from our rivals.

~G

bcbronc
01-22-2009, 01:38 PM
Last time we hired a SD TE coach we brought in Wesley Duke to be the next Gates. too bad his knees were made of plastic, I thought he had a shot at becoming a decent TE.

I would have been good keeping whomever was in charge of our TEs the past couple of seasons. Scheffler has developed nicely, save his fragile feet. and I won't even get into Nate "the Grate" Jackson.

CoachChaz
01-22-2009, 01:58 PM
I swear EVERYONE at the Freak was completely in love with Duke.

G_Money
01-22-2009, 02:02 PM
Guys who have never done anything – good OR bad - are really easy to project onto.

If you saw him as a worthless hack, well, he couldn’t dispute that with college numbers.

If you saw him as a raw talent about to explode on the scene, well, that was hard to dispute too.

Mike Bell was the same way, to some extent.

~G

Bozo Jr.
01-22-2009, 02:06 PM
I couldn't be happier with the way the new staff is being shaped! I'm getting so excited for the draft and the next season I wet my pants!:shocked:

Nature Boy
01-22-2009, 02:08 PM

They were til we saw him on the field. I think most people saw that picture of him slam dunking a basketball with authority and assume he'll catch footballs like he rebounded. Goes to show you need to be pretty tough to play in the NFL. Micheal Jordan wouldn't make it in the NFL as a WR and he's 6'6'', jumps higher than any human.

Lonestar
01-22-2009, 02:08 PM
I have no reason not trust that McDaniels is trying to put together the best possible coaching staff that he can. But it just seems weird that so many of his new staff are coming from our division rivals.

might be because they have put together a pretty good team since 2002 or so.. and have had a pretty good record since..

If this guy developed Gates then perhaps he can do something with Nate, PUTZ, Scheffler and graham not necessarily in that order..

I am surprised that SAN is purging coaches but then Norv has never been smart either..

G_Money
01-22-2009, 02:12 PM
I still expect to add a TE in the draft, especially if we wind up letting Scheff walk rather than pay him a lot of money to be that injury-prone.

I wonder if we’ll change from the Big-WR prototype at the position back to a larger version that can still catch. I’m curious to see the input of our new positional coach in that regard.

~G

Lonestar
01-22-2009, 02:12 PM
Guys who have never done anything – good OR bad - are really easy to project onto.

If you saw him as a worthless hack, well, he couldn’t dispute that with college numbers.

If you saw him as a raw talent about to explode on the scene, well, that was hard to dispute too.

Mike Bell was the same way, to some extent.

~G

Mike Bell seemed to be able to find the goal line deep in the red zone much more than any other RB since TD.. and he was not quite playing behind the same OLINE as TD did either.. I think mikey screwed the pooch keeping him in the doghouse as much as he did.. But then mikey was not my favorite since about 2003 or so..

G_Money
01-22-2009, 02:21 PM
Mike Bell seemed to be able to find the goal line deep in the red zone much more than any other RB since TD.. and he was not quite playing behind the same OLINE as TD did either.. I think mikey screwed the pooch keeping him in the doghouse as much as he did.. But then mikey was not my favorite since about 2003 or so..

Mike Bell scored 8 touchdowns one year with us (2006 I think). Eight.

Since we were using him to tote the rock in the red-zone a lot, this is not a huge, astonishing number. It was on 157 carries, so 19.6 carries per TD.

Mike Anderson scored 12 on 239 touches in 2005. That’s 20 carries per TD.

Bell wasn’t really better at it. We just used him to score TDs, that’s all.

His status as a TD-machine is a myth.
~G

BeefStew25
01-22-2009, 02:24 PM

Guilty as charged. I hope he is doing fine now.

Benetto
01-22-2009, 02:26 PM
We keep hiring all the Chargers staff...I hope they give all OUR players steroids too...Maybe we might finally make the playoffs.

Lonestar
01-22-2009, 02:32 PM
Mike Bell scored 8 touchdowns one year with us (2006 I think). Eight.

Since we were using him to tote the rock in the red-zone a lot, this is not a huge, astonishing number. It was on 157 carries, so 19.6 carries per TD.

Mike Anderson scored 12 on 239 touches in 2005. That’s 20 carries per TD.

Bell wasn’t really better at it. We just used him to score TDs, that’s all.

His status as a TD-machine is a myth.
~G

IIRC he was almost never used but for short yardage.. Hey I would no mind having him back.. better than tater any day...

TXBRONC
01-22-2009, 05:06 PM
might be because they have put together a pretty good team since 2002 or so.. and have had a pretty good record since..

If this guy developed Gates then perhaps he can do something with Nate, PUTZ, Scheffler and graham not necessarily in that order..

I am surprised that SAN is purging coaches but then Norv has never been smart either..

JR my post applies to more than San Diego. McDaniels has hired coaches from all three division rivals.

rcsodak
01-23-2009, 04:23 PM
Sure, that could be part of it, but it’s also hard to argue with “coach of division rival that turned mediocre LBs into studs”, “coach of division rival that has had record-setting special-teams output wherever he’s gone”, “coach of division rival that taught his defensive line how to turn our vaunted offense into paste every year” and “coach of division rival that produced all-pro Tight-End efforts.”

It’s not like we’re hiring untalented hacks from our rivals.

~G

And then they fired him, when their best defensive player got injured.

Sounds like he's the "shanahan" of defensive lines.

rcsodak
01-23-2009, 04:25 PM

Jr, he didn't have anything to do with the development of Gates. Denver signed that guy a few years ago, remember?

Now he's the HC for the Univerity of Minnesota.

NameUsedBefore
01-23-2009, 04:44 PM
Crap, where's Wesley Duke when you need him?

Ziggy
01-23-2009, 05:04 PM
He may not have developed Gates, but Crumpler sure thrived with him. Here's the article from when he got hired in San Diego in 2007:

Clancy Barone replaces Rob Chudzinski as the team’s tight ends coach and Matt Simon takes over for Clarence Shelmon as running backs coach. Chudzinski left the Chargers last month after being named offensive coordinator for the Cleveland Browns and Shelmon was promoted to offensive coordinator following the departure of Cam Cameron to take the Miami Dolphins’ head coaching job.

“Clancy Barone is very, very bright,” said Schottenheimer. “He’s articulate and presented himself extremely well in his interview. I was contacted by a couple of people in Atlanta who explained that they felt he was a terrific teacher. All of that was substantiated in the time I spent with him. He’s been around a high-profile tight end in Alge Crumpler and did a very nice job in that situation. I think that’s going to enable him to make a seamless transition here with Antonio Gates.”

Barone comes to the Chargers from the Atlanta Falcons where he was the assistant offensive line coach in 2004 and the tight ends coach from 2005-06. In San Diego, he will work with three-time Pro Bowl tight end Antonio Gates, who was the Chargers’ leading receiver in 2006 with 71 catches, 924 yards and nine touchdowns.

Barone has experience in working with Pro Bowl tight ends as he spent the last two seasons tutoring the Falcons’ leading receiver, Alge Crumpler. This season, Crumpler was chosen to start his third straight Pro Bowl after leading the Falcons with 56 catches, 780 yards and eight touchdowns. He had his best game of the season on Oct. 22 against the defending Super Bowl Champion Pittsburgh Steelers, hauling in six passes for 117 yards and three touchdowns. In 2005, Crumpler led the team with 65 catches, 877 yards and five scores. A big-play weapon in Atlanta’s offense, Crumpler’s 13 receptions of 20+ yards in 2006 were second in the NFL to Gates’ 14.

“He’s a real technician, a student of the game,” said Crumpler of Barone. “He taught me a lot. Gates will enjoy having him on the staff. I hated seeing him leave Atlanta. I did all I could to try to get them to keep him. He’ll be great for Antonio.”
Barone has 20 years of coaching experience, including 17 at the collegiate level.

Clancy Barone’s Coaching Experience

2005-06 - Tight Ends, Atlanta Falcons
2004 - Offensive Line, Atlanta Falcons
2003 - Assistant Head Coach and Offensive Coordinator, Texas State University
2000-02 - Offensive Line and Offensive Coordinator, University of Houston
1997-99 - Offensive Line and Offensive Coordinator, University of Wyoming
1994-96 - Offensive Line, Eastern Illinois University
1993 - Assistant Offensive Line, Texas A&M University
1991-92 - Offensive Line, Sacramento State
1987-1990 - Offensive Line, America Rivers College

rcsodak
01-23-2009, 05:15 PM
He may not have developed Gates, but Crumpler sure thrived with him. Here's the article from when he got hired in San Diego in 2007:

It's not like Crumpler was a rookie! He was already considered a good TE.

Still nothing shows me this coach is anything special, other than he's great at working with good TE's.

Ziggy
01-23-2009, 05:28 PM
It's not like Crumpler was a rookie! He was already considered a good TE.

Still nothing shows me this coach is anything special, other than he's great at working with good TE's.

I guess it's your opinion on an NFL TE coach vs. an NFL pro bowl TE's opinion on the same coach. I think I'll go with Crumpler on this one.

Superchop 7
01-23-2009, 09:39 PM
I have a problem with any coach named "Clancy."

Just sayin

TXBRONC
01-23-2009, 09:43 PM
Crap, where's Wesley Duke when you need him?

Rehabing a knee injury. ;)