PDA

View Full Version : Vikings Waive McNabb; Can We Get Him?

Joel
12-01-2011, 06:26 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ap-vikings-mcnabb

If the answer is "yes" it's a no brainer: McNabb has been a great rushing QB throughout his career, but made one of the smoothest transitions to a great PASSING QB as well, helping open the door for others by proving it possible. As noted in the article, he has the third best interception percentage in history, despite entering a League that was passing more than ever in its history that has continued to pass ever more.

He is no ones "QB of the future;" he is no teams anything beyond two, MAYBE three, years, but he could teach Tebow a LOT about transitioning from making plays with your feet to making them with your arm. With the obvious exception of coming up short in two NFC Championships and the Super Bowl following the third (in a row,) McNabbs career has followed PRECISELY the arc that Tebow should want his to take.

Perhaps most importantly, McNabb has the skill set and physical ability to run an offense built around Tebow when the starter is hurt. He protects the ball in just the way Foxs style of offense demands and can move in the pocket or take off for a first down when the pocket collapses. After being bounced out of first Washington and then Minnesota he's not likely to threaten Tebows status as starter; his history doesn't show him to be selfish or arrogant enough to demand a starting job after that. His presence would, however, prevent us being completely naked if Tebow is not much improved by next season, without forcing us to mortgage the team for the kind of quality QB who won't be available with the mid-round draft picks we'll have.

According to League standings, these teams are ahead of us on the waiver wire:

Indianapolis
St. Louis
Miami
Carolina
Jacksonville
Cleveland
Tampa Bay
Kansas City
Arizona
San Diego
Seattle
Philadelphia
Washington
Buffalo
NY Jets
NY Giants

As far as I know, the Chiefs taking Orton has no impact on this, which could be bad news for Kyle. Indy has first shot though (that they didn't bite on Orton just underscores how awful he is, IMHO.) He'd be a good fit in Jacksonville, who's rookie QB is showing his age, and Philly would also be well served to bring McNabb back to where it all began, but if none of those teams snatch him up we should have the opportunity and would, IMHO, be foolish to refuse it.

What say you, Broncos Forums?

FanInAZ
12-01-2011, 06:32 PM
I'd consider him for a QB coach position.

underrated29
12-01-2011, 06:38 PM
well, I would like it on the one hand as then it would all but eliminate us taking a QB rd 1 next year, which imo is Foolish.

However, aside from the wasting a pick on a rd1 Qb next year, I really do not want him. While I do not think Quinn is all that great, Id just rather stick with him anyway.

Mcnabb is old, but does have some value for sure. We could probably get more for him in a comp pick then we could have for Orton.

TXBRONC
12-01-2011, 06:38 PM
Joel if you really think that McNabb at 35 years old could run this offense they you haven't see recently. No way at this stage of his career do I think it would be a good idea to bring him in.

jhildebrand
12-01-2011, 06:50 PM
Is the waiver wire based on standings now or last year's record? If off current record, when does that change happen going from last season's record?

weazel
12-01-2011, 06:51 PM
for what??

BORDERLINE
12-01-2011, 06:59 PM
I would have to say no.

The offense that we are currently running requires a young agile big body QB.

From a teacher stand point it would make sense but as far as back-up I would not be in favor of it. McNabb I believe still wants to be a starter and in Denver he would only amount to a back-up.

If I where the Texans I would call him up right now. If they don't pick him up I don't see any other team picking him. He has had a great career and was one of the best QB's of past decade.

Thnikkaman
12-01-2011, 07:00 PM
getting McNab at this point in his career reminds me of the time I thought it was a good idea to buy a chevy citation with a cracked engine block when I was 15. Waste of money and he just takes up space.

Buff
12-01-2011, 07:03 PM
He has the back of a 75 year old man and the work ethic of a welfare recipient at this stage in his career.

Poet
12-01-2011, 07:16 PM
He has the back of a 75 year old man and the work ethic of a welfare recipient at this stage in his career.

McNabb's work ethic? Really?

Buff
12-01-2011, 07:22 PM
McNabb's work ethic? Really?

I don't know, there have been a couple of reports now with two different teams in two years. Typically where there's smoke there's fire.

BeefStew25
12-01-2011, 07:24 PM
Rosenfels was waived also. Let's get him too.

igoe4broncos
12-01-2011, 07:25 PM
Is this thread serious?

McNabb can barely move anymore.

karnage
12-01-2011, 07:26 PM
Is the waiver wire based on standings now or last year's record? If off current record, when does that change happen going from last season's record?

Changes at the trading dealine

sneakers
12-01-2011, 07:28 PM
oKI-tD0L18A

BroncoJoe
12-01-2011, 07:36 PM
Worst thread ever.

Mobile Post via http://Mobile.BroncosForums.com/forums

LTC Pain
12-01-2011, 08:04 PM
Muhahaha! The Broncos may as well raid the local cemetary and build a QB!

Dreadnought
12-01-2011, 08:12 PM

Rosenfels > McNabb. PLEASE don't sign this lazy washed up overrated stiff. Gawd ahmighty don't do it!!!!

Joel
12-01-2011, 08:44 PM
Wow, so I guess that's a big "no" then. I don't get it; he doesn't move like he did 10 years ago, but he's not in a wheelchair and still has a strong accurate arm. Again, except for coming up short in championships Tebow has to hope his career goes EXACTLY like McNabbs (and as much as McNabb transitioned to passing over time, if he's too beat up to play now that ought to tell us Tebow can't make it as a run-first, pass-second QB.) The similarity between what Tebow is and McNabb was, and what McNabb is and we hope Tebow will become, makes the mentor value alone worth signing him unless we just can't pay him.

McNabb may want to start but at this point he must realize it's unlikely unless he really wows the coaches at his next stop. I think he would accept being Tebows backup of neccesity (and if we get him on waiver his only other choice is to sit out the rest of the year and go free agent at 36.)

I still think he could run our offense if Tebow got hurt; we wouldn't have as much QB rushing, but we could and would still have a lot, and we wouldn't need nearly as much with a precise passer.

Well, anyway, I asked, and ya'll answered so, thanks, I guess.

underrated29
12-01-2011, 08:59 PM
oki-td0l18a

w.h.a.t....

T.h.e....

F.*.$.@!!!

Northman
12-01-2011, 09:01 PM
Lol, sorry Joel. If Minny couldnt find any value with McNabb teaching Ponder anything do you really think he would teach Tebow anything at this point? I think not.

Fullback32
12-01-2011, 09:41 PM
McNabb's done. For one reason or another, he's failed with two teams. Bad teams, granted, but still failed. No value added in bringing him to Denver.

BeefStew25
12-01-2011, 11:05 PM
Wow, so I guess that's a big "no" then. I don't get it; he doesn't move like he did 10 years ago, but he's not in a wheelchair and still has a strong accurate arm. Again, except for coming up short in championships Tebow has to hope his career goes EXACTLY like McNabbs (and as much as McNabb transitioned to passing over time, if he's too beat up to play now that ought to tell us Tebow can't make it as a run-first, pass-second QB.) The similarity between what Tebow is and McNabb was, and what McNabb is and we hope Tebow will become, makes the mentor value alone worth signing him unless we just can't pay him.

McNabb may want to start but at this point he must realize it's unlikely unless he really wows the coaches at his next stop. I think he would accept being Tebows backup of neccesity (and if we get him on waiver his only other choice is to sit out the rest of the year and go free agent at 36.)

I still think he could run our offense if Tebow got hurt; we wouldn't have as much QB rushing, but we could and would still have a lot, and we wouldn't need nearly as much with a precise passer.

Let's see what happens.

wayninja
12-01-2011, 11:10 PM
You know the thread is in trouble when sneakers breaks out no no cat...

rcsodak
12-01-2011, 11:13 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ap-vikings-mcnabb

If the answer is "yes" it's a no brainer: McNabb has been a great rushing QB throughout his career, but made one of the smoothest transitions to a great PASSING QB as well, helping open the door for others by proving it possible. As noted in the article, he has the third best interception percentage in history, despite entering a League that was passing more than ever in its history that has continued to pass ever more.

He is no ones "QB of the future;" he is no teams anything beyond two, MAYBE three, years, but he could teach Tebow a LOT about transitioning from making plays with your feet to making them with your arm. With the obvious exception of coming up short in two NFC Championships and the Super Bowl following the third (in a row,) McNabbs career has followed PRECISELY the arc that Tebow should want his to take.

Perhaps most importantly, McNabb has the skill set and physical ability to run an offense built around Tebow when the starter is hurt. He protects the ball in just the way Foxs style of offense demands and can move in the pocket or take off for a first down when the pocket collapses. After being bounced out of first Washington and then Minnesota he's not likely to threaten Tebows status as starter; his history doesn't show him to be selfish or arrogant enough to demand a starting job after that. His presence would, however, prevent us being completely naked if Tebow is not much improved by next season, without forcing us to mortgage the team for the kind of quality QB who won't be available with the mid-round draft picks we'll have.

According to League standings, these teams are ahead of us on the waiver wire:

Indianapolis
St. Louis
Miami
Carolina
Jacksonville
Cleveland
Tampa Bay
Kansas City
Arizona
San Diego
Seattle
Philadelphia
Washington
Buffalo
NY Jets
NY Giants

As far as I know, the Chiefs taking Orton has no impact on this, which could be bad news for Kyle. Indy has first shot though (that they didn't bite on Orton just underscores how awful he is, IMHO.) He'd be a good fit in Jacksonville, who's rookie QB is showing his age, and Philly would also be well served to bring McNabb back to where it all began, but if none of those teams snatch him up we should have the opportunity and would, IMHO, be foolish to refuse it.

What say you, Broncos Forums?

Ugh. Why is it everytime washed up shit players are cut, a thread gets started asking "should we get him?"

Mcnabb was done the day he was traded from philly.
He knows it, shanny knows it, Minn knows it.
He wants to play for his hometown team, Chi. Let them overpay him to sit the bench.

Mobile Post via http://Mobile.BroncosForums.com/forums

dogfish
12-02-2011, 01:56 AM
he's turrible!

Joel
12-02-2011, 09:25 AM
Lol, sorry Joel. If Minny couldnt find any value with McNabb teaching Ponder anything do you really think he would teach Tebow anything at this point? I think not.
Ponder's already a pocket passer, but Tebow's a scrambler: Makes a difference. About the only thing Ponder and McNabb had in common was their position and team, but McNabb's already been nearly everywhere Tebow wants to go. If the former could teach the latter how to keep going through progressions while scrambling around in the backfield, that alone would be worth signing him for a year, because the list of people who can impart that lesson is very short, even among NFL QBs. I guess we could always bring Plummer back and ask him to do it, but his interception percentage is a BIT higher than McNabbs (plus he developed a tendency to eat sacks and fumble toward the end of his career.)

I know McNabb's not as spry as he once was, but c'mon, guys: The Vikings and 'Skins have played nearly all of 2011 without him and barely managed as many wins BETWEEN THEM as the 'Skins had with McNabb last year. Until last week, they didn't even have that many. If their highest paid benchwarmer isn't responsible for the Vikings and 'Skins combining for 6 wins without him, it's hard to believe he's responsible for the 'Skins not having more than 6 in 2010. On the contrary, you have to ask yourself if they'd have even had that many without him; they haven't managed it since he left.

I'm not saying we can or should ride him to a Super Bowl, but he's hands down the best possible mentor for Tebow we could have on the roster (Steve Young and Fran Tarkenton are a BIT old to come out of retirement ;)) and would provide stability and security if Tebow got hurt. We wouldn't have to limit the playbook to what a pocket passer like Quinn can successfully execute, could still do all of the things we do with Tebow despite the fact are #1 QB was watching the games in a cast for a month or two. And make no mistake: I don't want to see Tebow hurt, but sooner or later it WILL happen; the Colts have had the best line in the League for a decade, but Peyton Manning is gone for all of 2011, and he didn't run nearly as much as Tebow does.

BroncoNut
12-02-2011, 10:11 AM
Joel

As I do recognize your justification for picking up McNabb, I think it best we stay away from this one for the time being

silkamilkamonico
12-02-2011, 11:18 AM
Ponder's already a pocket passer, but Tebow's a scrambler: Makes a difference. About the only thing Ponder and McNabb had in common was their position and team, but McNabb's already been nearly everywhere Tebow wants to go. If the former could teach the latter how to keep going through progressions while scrambling around in the backfield, that alone would be worth signing him for a year, because the list of people who can impart that lesson is very short, even among NFL QBs. I guess we could always bring Plummer back and ask him to do it, but his interception percentage is a BIT higher than McNabbs (plus he developed a tendency to eat sacks and fumble toward the end of his career.)

I know McNabb's not as spry as he once was, but c'mon, guys: The Vikings and 'Skins have played nearly all of 2011 without him and barely managed as many wins BETWEEN THEM as the 'Skins had with McNabb last year. Until last week, they didn't even have that many. If their highest paid benchwarmer isn't responsible for the Vikings and 'Skins combining for 6 wins without him, it's hard to believe he's responsible for the 'Skins not having more than 6 in 2010. On the contrary, you have to ask yourself if they'd have even had that many without him; they haven't managed it since he left.

I'm not saying we can or should ride him to a Super Bowl, but he's hands down the best possible mentor for Tebow we could have on the roster (Steve Young and Fran Tarkenton are a BIT old to come out of retirement ;)) and would provide stability and security if Tebow got hurt. We wouldn't have to limit the playbook to what a pocket passer like Quinn can successfully execute, could still do all of the things we do with Tebow despite the fact are #1 QB was watching the games in a cast for a month or two. And make no mistake: I don't want to see Tebow hurt, but sooner or later it WILL happen; the Colts have had the best line in the League for a decade, but Peyton Manning is gone for all of 2011, and he didn't run nearly as much as Tebow does.

On serious note Joel;

1) McNabb was a scrambling QB. He is not anymore. In fact he hasn't been a scrambling QB for about 7 years. On top of this note, Denver's offense isn't for a scrambling QB. It's for a running QB. There is a big difference. There really isn't many QB's at all in the NFL, if any, that could run this offense. We don't even know if this offense is going to work in the near future.

2) McNabb does not have a strong accurate arm anymore. Not even close, and anyone who has watched him the last few years can see that. He is marginal decision making at best, and he one bounces passes more often than Tebow if you can believe it.

I'm not sure what your purposes is of wanting to bring him in. To be a legitimate backup? He can't run this offense, and if you're going to tweak it a bit, there are a plehtora of other guys that would be better, and Brady Quinn is one of them.

McNabb has never been a mentor type, he's always been far too busy hanging out at the local pizza eatery with his boys telling jokes about the past. He's going to be a commentator when he retires, and probably already has his foot in the door. You say he should realize his role, well so do should countless of other NFL players that don't. Some guys just aren't interested in hanging around to help others in that role, and that's ok.

McNabb might love football, but he also loves doing other things, and that's been documented throughout his career, and one of the reasons why his work ethic is questioned. IMHO he's alot like Plunger, he works hard when he's at practice, but he also wants to get out early because he plays hard, and he loves living his life. Nothing wrong with that, but certainly not a person you want in a mentor's role.

Ravage!!!
12-02-2011, 11:27 AM

He doesn't have a strong or accurate arm, thats what got him canned in Washington in favor of Grossman (and grossman out played him despite people saying Shanahan was in the wrong)....and what got him canned in Minnesota for a rookie. If he still had a strong and accurate arm, he would still have a job.

Have you seen Grossman and the other QB in Washington? They are bad, yet they BOTH are better than McNabb is at this point in his career.

vandammage13
12-02-2011, 11:31 AM

McNabb is washed up and worthless at this point in his career.

However, to say that because McNabb is too beat up to play that it tells us that TT can't make it is a rediculous point considering McNabb is in his 13th year. McNabb played at a very high level for at least 10 years.

If anything it shows it is possible for TT to last 10 years playing the way he does, and that is long enough to build around IMO.

Ravage!!!
12-02-2011, 11:43 AM

However, to say that because McNabb is too beat up to play that it tells us that TT can't make it is a rediculous point considering McNabb is in his 13th year. McNabb played at a very high level for at least 10 years.

If anything it shows it is possible for TT to last 10 years playing the way he does, and that is long enough to build around IMO.

I guess it depends on what you mean "build around." Because if you intend on building around the offense that we are running NOW.. no way. Can't do it. What other QB do you have be the backup? Its not a matter of if Tebow gets injured, but when. So the Broncos HAVE to build an offense that other players can run.

Look at the Colts. Its EXTREMELY rare (to say the least) that a QB doesn't miss a game in 10 years. But when Manning misses, what happens? Thats because they built that team around him and FOR him. Its a disaster without.

I'm all for building a TEAM of solid players by adding talent to this team, because right now we are pretty void of talent on the offensive side of the ball. But we can NOT build an offense that only Tebow can run. Not imo.

vandammage13
12-02-2011, 11:45 AM
I guess it depends on what you mean "build around." Because if you intend on building around the offense that we are running NOW.. no way. Can't do it. What other QB do you have be the backup? Its not a matter of if Tebow gets injured, but when. So the Broncos HAVE to build an offense that other players can run.

Look at the Colts. Its EXTREMELY rare (to say the least) that a QB doesn't miss a game in 10 years. But when Manning misses, what happens? Thats because they built that team around him and FOR him. Its a disaster without.

I'm all for building a TEAM of solid players by adding talent to this team, because right now we are pretty void of talent on the offensive side of the ball. But we can NOT build an offense that only Tebow can run. Not imo.

Well they did have a run of like 8 years with 12 wins or something rediculous like that, along with a SB Title....I would take that in exchange for a terrible year down the road.

Ravage!!!
12-02-2011, 11:47 AM
Well they did have a run of like 8 years with 12 wins or something rediculous like that, along with a SB Title....I would take that in exchange for a terrible year down the road.

Yes, and you are talking about probably the greatest PASSER in NFL history that did NOT miss a game in 10 years. How many times do you have a QB that doesn't miss games due to injury? Look at the NFL right now. If you can guarantee that Tebow won't get hurt and won't miss a game, it makes sense. Other than that, it doesn't.

vandammage13
12-02-2011, 11:52 AM
Yes, and you are talking about probably the greatest PASSER in NFL history that did NOT miss a game in 10 years. How many times do you have a QB that doesn't miss games due to injury? Look at the NFL right now. If you can guarantee that Tebow won't get hurt and won't miss a game, it makes sense. Other than that, it doesn't.

If TT's out for the year on a serious injury, yeah, we'd be in trouble (not much different than any other team in the league though).

If he is only out for a couple of weeks, there are plenty of QB's in college that can run this type of offense. Perhaps not as efficiently as TT does, but backups typically never run an offense as good as the starter does.

It will be tough to find a guy that has the sheer physical size of Tebow that would allow them to take the pounding he does, but a smaller guy could probably last for a few weeks taking the pounding until TT recovered.

GEM
12-02-2011, 12:43 PM
No thanks. That guy lost it overnight. Don't know what happened to him, but picking him up would do the Broncos no good in their rebuild. Younger, stronger, faster.

Joel
12-02-2011, 01:11 PM
Joel

As I do recognize your justification for picking up McNabb, I think it best we stay away from this one for the time being
Fair enough. I wouldn't throw a ton of money at him, certainly, and there are enough teams desperate for help under center that one of them might make that necessary (though it wouldn't matter this year, because if we get him off waivers he either puts on a Broncos jersey or sits out the rest of this season; in that respect, this is the BEST time to get him.)

On serious note Joel;

1) McNabb was a scrambling QB. He is not anymore. In fact he hasn't been a scrambling QB for about 7 years. On top of this note, Denver's offense isn't for a scrambling QB. It's for a running QB. There is a big difference. There really isn't many QB's at all in the NFL, if any, that could run this offense. We don't even know if this offense is going to work in the near future.
There was a time when McNabb was more than a scrambler, a bona fide running QB. As his accuracy improved and his body deteriorated over the years, that changed, in EXACTLY THE WAY IT WILL FOR TEBOW--assuming he and we are lucky enough that his accuracy improves as much as McNabbs did. Otherwise he'll be riding the pine as someones third stringer in 2-3 years, or trying to make teams as a TE or FB like everyone expected when he was a rookie; he'll just be pushing 30 while doing it.

2) McNabb does not have a strong accurate arm anymore. Not even close, and anyone who has watched him the last few years can see that. He is marginal decision making at best, and he one bounces passes more often than Tebow if you can believe it.
Well, as a Cowboys and Vikings fan I've seen my fair share of McNabb the last few years as well as over his career. He does look a lot more tentative recently, but I chalk much of that up to playing for teams with deficiencies on their offensive line, at WR or both. When QBs are constantly hearing footsteps and their receivers don't get open it does start to make them a little paranoid. Granted, I'm not sure the situation is much better in Denver but, by the same token, I don't think McNabb would do any worse in such an environment than anyone else.

I'm not sure what your purposes is of wanting to bring him in. To be a legitimate backup? He can't run this offense, and if you're going to tweak it a bit, there are a plehtora of other guys that would be better, and Brady Quinn is one of them.
I think he can run this offense, at least as well as any of our other options, and thus the fact that would eliminate the need to tweak (or completely overhaul) it if Tebow got hurt is a big reason I want him.

McNabb has never been a mentor type, he's always been far too busy hanging out at the local pizza eatery with his boys telling jokes about the past. He's going to be a commentator when he retires, and probably already has his foot in the door. You say he should realize his role, well so do should countless of other NFL players that don't. Some guys just aren't interested in hanging around to help others in that role, and that's ok.
If he's not interested he can always bail when his contract's up (I don't know when that is, which is kind of embarrassing, actually, since as somewhat of a Vikings fan he was my teams starting QB at the seasons start) and probably would. However, unless picking up the remainder of his existing contract would commit us to large sums of money, I really don't see how we have much to lose there. Worst case scenario we get a guy who gives our offense some security and stability for the rest of this year and maybe next year, no longer having to worry whether Quinn would be an absolute disaster if Tebow got hurt, then he goes his merry way to retirement after we hand pick a backup for Tebow who can play the same style of offense.

McNabb might love football, but he also loves doing other things, and that's been documented throughout his career, and one of the reasons why his work ethic is questioned. IMHO he's alot like Plunger, he works hard when he's at practice, but he also wants to get out early because he plays hard, and he loves living his life. Nothing wrong with that, but certainly not a person you want in a mentor's role.
Not the only similarity between them; again, short of dipping Steve Young in the Fountain of Youth, what better option do we have for an experienced vet who can both backup and educate Tebow in the style of QB for which he is best suited?

He doesn't have a strong or accurate arm, thats what got him canned in Washington in favor of Grossman (and grossman out played him despite people saying Shanahan was in the wrong)....and what got him canned in Minnesota for a rookie. If he still had a strong and accurate arm, he would still have a job.

Have you seen Grossman and the other QB in Washington? They are bad, yet they BOTH are better than McNabb is at this point in his career.
What got him canned in Washington and Minnesota is that they're both awful teams and casual and/or ignorant fans automatically blame that on the QB. The biggest reason Washington made Shanny their head coach was that their offense was an utter disaster; expecting McNabb to change that in a single year was expecting too much. Even after an entire year and two drafts under Shanny their offensive line is VERY poor, and very few QBs do well in that situation. The Vikings are... the Vikings, a team whose executives are so awful they actually considered Leslie Frazier an improvement over his predecessor (and may be right at that.) Is Grossman better than McNabb? His team got its 4th win last week, which combined with the 2 Ponder has with the Vikings just match the 6 wins McNabb had with Washington last year. For that matter, except for last year the Eagles haven't exactly been lighting up the scoreboard since he left either, despite head hunting all the off season talent they could find.

If his former teams were doing markedly better in his absence I could believe McNabb's a has been; since all of them are doing worse I'm inclined to believe they, not he, were the problem.

Except that as I already noted and silk concedes, McNabb hasn't been a run first QB in a long time: He transitioned to a pass first QB long ago. Part of that is that he became a MUCH better passer, but part of it was that his body simply could no longer absorb that abuse. Just because Tebow's young enough to still believe he's bullet proof doesn't mean the rest of us should buy into that fantasy. McNabb played at a very high level for at least 10 years, but he only did it as a run first QB for about 5. I don't expect Tebow to do it any longer (for one thing, if he's not a pretty good passer by 2013 he won't be our starter.)

That is much of my point: To the extent we have a Tebow specific offense, McNabb is the best guy available to run it when Tebow inevitably gets hurt. Manning is the best example of how critical that is, because despite having far and away the best protection over the last decade, he's still out this entire season, and we all see the results. To the extent we SHOULDN'T have a Tebow specific offense, McNabb is also the best available guy to get Tebow from point A to point B, from a QB who runs well but only occasionally throws a great pass, and then usually on the run, to a guy who can stand in the pocket and deliver a precision strike 60 yards downfield.

No thanks. That guy lost it overnight. Don't know what happened to him, but picking him up would do the Broncos no good in their rebuild. Younger, stronger, faster.
What happened to him is that the Eagles decided they wanted a younger version of him in Michael Vick, because the entire city of Philadelphia is a bunch of... well, let's just say Michael Vick fits right in, and actually is a great runner and passer, so they lost nothing in terms of ability but gained a great deal in terms of longevity and overall health.

That left McNabb a 35 year old QB, the future of no franchise, and fated to be a stop gap for losing teams still seeking their franchise QB (which is basically how I see him in Denver.) Again, his former teams are a combined 6-14 since they pulled him, and only got to that many wins last week: They were the albatross around his neck, not the reverse. As a Vikings fan, I was disappointed to see him pulled in favor of Ponder (though you could see it coming, and it had to happen some time if Ponder is the teams future) but as a Broncos fan I'd much rather face him on Sunday than McNabb.

GEM
12-02-2011, 01:18 PM
What happened to him is that the Eagles decided they wanted a younger version of him in Michael Vick, because the entire city of Philadelphia is a bunch of... well, let's just say Michael Vick fits right in, and actually is a great runner and passer, so they lost nothing in terms of ability but gained a great deal in terms of longevity and overall health.

That left McNabb a 35 year old QB, the future of no franchise, and fated to be a stop gap for losing teams still seeking their franchise QB (which is basically how I see him in Denver.) Again, his former teams are a combined 6-14 since they pulled him, and only got to that many wins last week: They were the albatross around his neck, not the reverse. As a Vikings fan, I was disappointed to see him pulled in favor of Ponder (though you could see it coming, and it had to happen some time if Ponder is the teams future) but as a Broncos fan I'd much rather face him on Sunday than McNabb.

So if he's a 35 year old, the future of no franchise and a stop gap...why exactly would we want him?

McNabb did jack shit in Minn....I don't fear him or Ponder. I don't fear their WR's though either.

hotcarl
12-02-2011, 01:51 PM
we should have picked him up just to steal minnys playbook and then either cut or murdered him

BroncoNut
12-02-2011, 02:03 PM
we should have picked him up just to steal minnys playbook and then either cut or murdered him

sick of you troll

Joel
12-02-2011, 02:09 PM
So if he's a 35 year old, the future of no franchise and a stop gap...why exactly would we want him?
Because Tebow's in his second year, playing ball like McNabb did at the start of his career and hoping to play like he has for the rest of his career, and because we have NOTHING if Tebow gets hurt.

McNabb did jack shit in Minn....I don't fear him or Ponder. I don't fear their WR's though either.
I like Champ vs. Berrian a lot better than Goodman vs. Harvin, but admit I am more concerned about Gerhart/Harvin rushing and their defensive line. However, I still prefer facing Ponder rather than McNabb.

dogfish
12-02-2011, 02:35 PM
It’s starting to look like it’s the Bears or bust for Donovan McNabb.

Cowboys coach Jason Garrett said Friday the team isn’t interested in claiming McNabb as a potential backup. The team put in a claim for Kyle Orton last week, but the Chiefs got him.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/12/02/cowboys-just-say-no-to-mcnabb/

mcnabb is mcdone-- time to retire, donnie. . .

GEM
12-02-2011, 02:39 PM
Because Tebow's in his second year, playing ball like McNabb did at the start of his career and hoping to play like he has for the rest of his career, and because we have NOTHING if Tebow gets hurt.

I like Champ vs. Berrian a lot better than Goodman vs. Harvin, but admit I am more concerned about Gerhart/Harvin rushing and their defensive line. However, I still prefer facing Ponder rather than McNabb.

We still have nothing if we pick up McNabb and Tebow gets hurt.

The guy is done. He has shown it at the end in Philly, in Wash and in Minn. Facts are facts and by all looks, he just doesn't have it anymore.

I mean....we have a qb coach already. That is about all McNabb would amount to here.

wayninja
12-02-2011, 04:06 PM
We should get him. The janitorial staff at Dove Valley has an opening.

Shazam!
12-02-2011, 04:14 PM
Oh you gotta be kidding...

Dapper Dan
12-02-2011, 04:21 PM
Sounds like we need to just wait and get Roark, the WR from Kentucky as a back up QB

Medford Bronco
12-02-2011, 10:54 PM

I want Testaverde and Buerlein :elefant::lol: