PDA

View Full Version : Review Process for On-Field Rules Violations - How fines are handed out

Tned
11-30-2011, 02:28 PM
This is a NFL presentation that shows the process that is used to hand out fines to players.

http://nfllabor.files.wordpress.com/2011/11/11-17-11-review-process-for-on-field-rules-violations.pdf

Northman
11-30-2011, 02:31 PM
You should probably put this in the football 101 forum Tned. Just a thought.

wayninja
11-30-2011, 02:39 PM
I still don't quite get how a player can get a fine for something that wasn't called a penalty. If this happens, shouldn't the refs get fined?

The Glue Factory
11-30-2011, 02:42 PM
I still don't quite get how a player can get a fine for something that wasn't called a penalty. If this happens, shouldn't the refs get fined?

Coz the officials don't call all penalties. Plays that result in fines should be penalized but the officials only have seconds to make the call. If the ball isn't in the area where the infraction occured there likely won't be a flag. That's probably what happened to result in Miller's $25k fine last week.

wayninja
11-30-2011, 02:52 PM
Coz the officials don't call all penalties. Plays that result in fines should be penalized but the officials only have seconds to make the call. If the ball isn't in the area where the infraction occured there likely won't be a flag. That's probably what happened to result in Miller's $25k fine last week.

I guess I understand in principle, but in regards to Miller's specific hit on Sanchez, if they didn't see that, they definitely need to be fined or fired.

BigSarge87
11-30-2011, 03:26 PM
I guess they play a lot of XBOX in between viewing games?

Tned
12-01-2011, 08:04 AM

The main reason they review every single play of every single game is for purposes of grading the officials and letting them know what they did wrong. How many calls they get right/wrong, has implications such as whether they get to ref playoff games and things like that.

However, they miss things. Take roughing the passer. From the angle the head ref (who is typically the only one that calls roughing the passer, as that's one of his responsibilities), he sometimes can't see if something was a clean hit or illegal.

A few years ago when NFL network did one of their 7 days in the life shows (don't remember the actually name) on Ed Hoculi, they showed this process. In his case, he either called a roughing the passer that wasn't, or the other way around. He was saying that in some cases, like in helmet to helmet (before the new stricter rules) hits on the QB, they have to go by sound. If the hits appears to be near the head, and they 'hear' what sounds like a helmet to helmet hit, then they would call roughing the passer.

It's actually pretty amazing how many times these guys get it 'right', from spotting the ball, to spotting fumbles, etc., when you consider the speed of the game.

Joel
12-01-2011, 09:22 AM
I guess I understand in principle, but in regards to Miller's specific hit on Sanchez, if they didn't see that, they definitely need to be fined or fired.
In the case of acts serious enough to warrant a fine, I agree; no one can see everything, but as many officials as there are in each game SOMEONE should see it, and if it's serious enough to justify a fine, it's serious enough ANYONE who sees it should flag it. I can see exceptions when the offending player actively tries to conceal activity he know would be flagged and fined if witnessed, but the hit on Sanchez happened in front of God and everyone, and anyone who saw it should have flagged it.

Nice find, Tned; it is always good to know the official process, and who is in charge of it (didn't know ol' Chickenneck became a League executive after he left the '9ers.) I can't believe they put a Raider in charge of hearing appeals; it's a wonder EVERY fine isn't overturned. :tongue:

I agree MOST refs USUALLY do a phenomenal job given the speed and complexity of what they're viewing mostly in real time at game speed, though since they are paid professionals now rather than guys moonlighting for love of the game I obviously hold them to a higher standard than I did a few years ago. Of course, it's very rare to hear a fan say, "wow, did you see that GREAT PI call so-and-so made last week?" Usually, folks talk about calls they think should not have been made, or should've been made but weren't (e.g. the end zone PI on Tebows pass to Decker against SD,) questioning everything from the refs eyesight to his pedigree.

Like so many other things, NFL officiating is one of those professions where people notice and remember the one time you screw up a lot more than the 99 times you made a difficult but correct call. For example: Did that day in the life show happen to ask Hoculi about Cutlers Fumble-That-Was-Not-a-Fumble at the end of regulation against SD a few years ago? I STILL remember the Giants/Cowboys game in '88 when the opening kickoff went deep in the endzone, the return man took two steps before kneeling down and was called for a safety that proved the difference in 10-12 final that helped make that the last year of Tom Landrys coaching career (though the other 11 losses didn't help either. :tongue:) I can't remember the official responsible, but that was nearly 25 years ago and I haven't forgotten the play. The Oilers fan in me knows instant replay only exists because of a Houston playoff TD that called out of bounds despite the replay clearly proving otherwise. Now ask me how many GOOD calls I remember helping my team to victory. Champs fumble out of bounds on the 100 interception return against the Pats in the playoffs is the only one that comes to mind, but Patriots fans see that one and the PI call on the deep pass to Lelie a different way. ;)