PDA

View Full Version : Von Miller Has Surgery on Broken Thumb

UnderArmour
11-30-2011, 11:08 AM
http://twitter.com/#!/VicLombardi/statuses/141909069131808768
Apparently Von broke his thumb against the Chargers. Details will come soon. Not sure what this means but hopefully he can play with a cast.

Thnikkaman
11-30-2011, 11:10 AM
According to Vic and Gary this morning, Von has had surgery on his thumb which was broken on Sunday during Denver's 16-13 victory against the Chargers.

More to follow when John Fox has his press conference later today.

Links to other sources:

http://www.milehighreport.com/2011/11/30/2600207/von-miller-injury-news

BORDERLINE
11-30-2011, 11:12 AM
AAAAAWWWWW F********.

I'm sure he can go out there with a cast on something on his hand. Didn't Big Ben play with a broken thumb and he's a QB

wayninja
11-30-2011, 11:13 AM
Any word on whether or not he will play Sunday? I would think so, just not sure.

Thnikkaman
11-30-2011, 11:14 AM
No word yet. I suspect that he will, since the pressure he gives on his side makes it easier for Dumervil.

Davii
11-30-2011, 11:20 AM
That REALLY sucks! I hope he's able to play without being limited. Heal quickly Von!

dogfish
11-30-2011, 11:23 AM
fer ****'s sake!

:tsk:

Thnikkaman
11-30-2011, 11:24 AM
http://broncosforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=318802

igoe4broncos
Well, that blows. Hopefully it wasn't major and he can gut through it unlike Cutler.

BroncoNut
I don't see why the homo can't play with a cast.

Thnikkaman
11-30-2011, 11:25 AM
Then again, your thread was first. Can a mod merge please?

Dzone
11-30-2011, 11:26 AM
Oh crap. We need him for the Super Bowl run.

Dzone
11-30-2011, 11:29 AM
I dont think he needs a thumb. Hopefully he can do without it for a while.

wayninja
11-30-2011, 11:30 AM
Oh crap. We need him for the Super Bowl run.

I'm sure he'll be healed by 2015...

karnage
11-30-2011, 11:39 AM
Hope it's not on his tackling hand....but on a serious note...heal up soon

Joel
11-30-2011, 11:41 AM
Then again, your thread was first. Can a mod merge please?
And for some reason the fonts are bigger in yours, at least on my computer. Anyway....

This really sucks; here's hoping he recovers fully and quickly. I would be surprised if it keeps him from starting, 'cos LBs play in casts all the time, but what impact it will have on his tackling is impossible to tell, and it is surely unpleasant for him regardless. I was counting on the Vikings and the Bears awful offensive line to give him those 4.5 sacks he needs for the rookie record. Guess what they say about chicken tallies is true. :( Still well within the realm of possibility, but as vital as Miller is to our defence, and as vital as it has been to Tebows squeaker victories, this is a major blow to the team.

Well, like I say, hope he's not in too much pain and makes a full speed recovery. Time for some other guys to rise to the occasion and give Fox a reason not to replace them with some of those scary MLB prospects everyone's been talking about lately. Meanwhile, get well soon, Von; your rookie year's already been incredible. :salute:

Thnikkaman
11-30-2011, 11:47 AM
From Vic Lombardi:

Just got word from the Broncos. Von Miller has ligament damage in his thumb. No fracture. Should be good to go.

TXBRONC
11-30-2011, 11:48 AM
From what I've heard it shouldn't keep him out action. Also if it had been a shoulder like Dumervil, or knee of something like I would be a lot more concerned.

Thnikkaman
11-30-2011, 11:50 AM
From what I've heard it should keep him out action. Also if it had been a shoulder like Dumervil, or knee of something like I would be a lot more concerned.

Update in my thread.

MOtorboat
He's a beast. He'll be fine.

BroncoNut
a broken thumb sounds very painful. I did a number on my thumb years ago playing rugby. I am not active now, but I remember in the last few games I played, I would reinjure that thumb. teh part of the hand that the thumb was attached and adjacent to would just bruise, turn color. It was very sore for quite some time. I suppose if I stepped on the pitch today and grabbed jerseys, weiners, etc, the injurty would reoccur.

BroncoWave
11-30-2011, 11:53 AM
Not worried. If anything he will inflict more pain with the club on his hand.

lgenf
11-30-2011, 11:55 AM
He'll play

It might affect a tackle or two by not having is hand as it will probably be in a cast, but he will play and cause havoc!

NightTerror218
11-30-2011, 12:01 PM
he is going to be a clubber

Shazam!
11-30-2011, 12:02 PM
Even his thumb is scared of him. DAMN STRAIGHT it'll be fine by Sunday.

GEM
11-30-2011, 12:03 PM
As Cecil Lammey said....he should be fine for rushing the passer, he should be good for the edge stuff, the place where you might see some different looks is in run support. Von is good at the shoelace tackles....if he has a club on that hand, that is where you will see the most difference.

Still sucks.

He has 5 games left to get 4 sacks to beat the rookie sack record that has been in place since 1998. Oh man..... :D

Thnikkaman
11-30-2011, 12:04 PM
Gem, you listening to Cecil right now? I hope the Chiefs play Stanzi. :D

GEM
11-30-2011, 12:21 PM
Gem, you listening to Cecil right now? I hope the Chiefs play Stanzi. :D

I was right before I got into the office. From that KC guy it sounds like they will start Palsko this week and if he doesn't make a go of it, expect to see Orton. I hope Orton is playing the last game.....I want to see some fainting goat!!! :laugh:

I am so freaking happy Cecil took over for Kreckman....I ******* hate that song working man....and every freaking break that's all he played. :laugh: Plus I like Cecil a lot.

pnbronco
11-30-2011, 12:58 PM
As Cecil Lammey said....he should be fine for rushing the passer, he should be good for the edge stuff, the place where you might see some different looks is in run support. Von is good at the shoelace tackles....if he has a club on that hand, that is where you will see the most difference.

Still sucks.

He has 5 games left to get 4 sacks to beat the rookie sack record that has been in place since 1998. Oh man..... :D

I heard that too. All I could think of was that tackle in the OT that took SD out of field goal range. So I hope he is ok and will have a fast recovery. Has anyone heard which hand????

GEM
11-30-2011, 01:01 PM
Last I heard they had not confirmed.

FlyByU
11-30-2011, 01:05 PM
He'll be Back...

Von Miller QB Terminator
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-jLyvhhBme3k/TW52OFhdtMI/AAAAAAAAAdg/kaI1pYRyKlY/s320/I%2527ll%2Bbe%2Bback.jpg

arapaho2
11-30-2011, 01:53 PM
Well, that blows. Hopefully it wasn't major and he can gut through it unlike Cutler.

whatta BS post

cutler suffered a Bennets fracture...which is a complete fracture of the largest thumb bone, one that connects the thumb to the wrist....with screws needed to stabolize the bone...exactly how is a Qb supposed to play without his thumb on his throwing hand

why dont you arm yourself with facts instead of ignorance:lol:

CoachChaz
11-30-2011, 01:57 PM
Odds are the ligament was damaged before the end of the game and he played through it on Sunday, so next week shouldnt be too much of a problem.

igoe4broncos
11-30-2011, 02:23 PM
whatta BS post

cutler suffered a Bennets fracture...which is a complete fracture of the largest thumb bone, one that connects the thumb to the wrist....with screws needed to stabolize the bone...exactly how is a Qb supposed to play without his thumb on his throwing hand

why dont you arm yourself with facts instead of ignorance:lol:

Hey Jay. How you doing?

I know you've got a lot of free time on your hand with your injury, but shouldn't you be doing something other than stalking a Broncos message board?

rcsodak
11-30-2011, 02:30 PM
Orton played with after a broken bone protruded through his skin.

:coffee:

Just sayin'

Mobile Post via http://Mobile.BroncosForums.com/forums

catfish
11-30-2011, 02:34 PM
latest word is it is just ligament damage, snap it in place..little cortizone injection go on your way

http://twitter.com/#!/VicLombardi/status/141918073216176128

Thnikkaman
11-30-2011, 02:36 PM
Hey Jay. How you doing?

I know you've got a lot of free time on your hand with your injury, but shouldn't you be doing something other than stalking a Broncos message board?

He can't be Jay Cutler. The real Jay Cutler is busy having a twitter conversation with his thumb.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d8249ba37/article/cutlers-thumb-confronts-injured-bears-qb-on-twitter

arapaho2
11-30-2011, 04:26 PM
Hey Jay. How you doing?

shouldnt you be doing something besides posting totaly wrong crap

you dont have to be a nfl insider to understand a qb breaking the largest bone in his thumb on his throwing hand is a pretty good reason not to play

but you do have to understand football....

Thnikkaman
11-30-2011, 04:29 PM
shouldnt you be doing something besides posting totaly wrong crap

you dont have to be a nfl insider to understand a qb breaking the largest bone in his thumb on his throwing hand is a pretty good reason not to play

but you do have to understand football....

Lighten up. Its the internet. Christ!

sneakers
11-30-2011, 04:38 PM
Poor thumb

Magnificent Seven
11-30-2011, 04:45 PM
Personally, I think they should keep him sideline for Vikings vs. Broncos game. Therefore, he can rest, heal, and prepare for two big games.( Bears & Patriots) Broncos will be fine without Von Miller for this Sunday's game against Minnesota.

wayninja
11-30-2011, 05:49 PM
From what I've heard it should keep him out action. Also if it had been a shoulder like Dumervil, or knee of something like I would be a lot more concerned.

Sorry, not sure what this means... are you saying it's likely Miller will be OUT for the game vs the vikes?

Jsteve01
11-30-2011, 05:53 PM
a broken thumb sounds very painful. I did a number on my thumb years ago playing rugby. I am not active now, but I remember in the last few games I played, I would reinjure that thumb. teh part of the hand that the thumb was attached and adjacent to would just bruise, turn color. It was very sore for quite some time. I suppose if I stepped on the pitch today and grabbed jerseys, weiners, etc, the injurty would reoccur.

damn rugby...i still have a huge lump on my thumb from breaking it several times in college.

and you didn't slip the weiner by anyone nut...no pun intended

LTC Pain
11-30-2011, 05:54 PM
Put it in concrete and banadage and get him ready for the next game. Just seeing him on the edge is going to cause Ponder to piss his drawers!

Denver Native (Carol)
11-30-2011, 06:13 PM
The Broncos may have to play the Minnesota Vikings​ this Sunday without star linebacker Von Miller and No. 2 receiver Eddie Royal​.

Miller, a rookie with 10 1/2 sacks through 11 games, underwent surgery Tuesday to repair torn ligaments in his thumb. He suffered the injury late in the fourth quarter of the Broncos' 16-13 overtime win at San Diego. Miller refused to come out of the game. After getting taped, he made a crucial defensive stop in overtime, tackling running back Ryan Mathews for a 4-yard loss. That pushed the Chargers' game-winning field goal attempt back to 53 yards, from where Nick Novak​'s boot faded wide right.

rest of article - http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_19440669

NightTerror218
11-30-2011, 06:23 PM
rest of article - http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_19440669

crap

arapaho2
11-30-2011, 06:25 PM
Lighten up. Its the internet. Christ!

you too:listen:

did i say anything untrue?

HORSEPOWER 56
11-30-2011, 06:31 PM
Personally, I think they should keep him sideline for Vikings vs. Broncos game. Therefore, he can rest, heal, and prepare for two big games.( Bears & Patriots) Broncos will be fine without Von Miller for this Sunday's game against Minnesota.

I think holding him out would be a bad idea. Von has 10.5 sacks in 11 games. He's the catalyst that drives our pass rush. Even when he lines up at OLB and doesn't rush, the O-line still has to account for him possibly coming on a delayed blitz which frees up the others who are rushing. Even if he isn't as effective, having him out there as a decoy is important.

NTM, but Ponder is a pretty mobile QB in his own right so we're going to need speed on the field in order to compensate. Even if he doesn't rush the passer, he'd be a perfect "spy" for Ponder.

T.K.O.
11-30-2011, 06:33 PM

starting the season 1-4 makes every game from here out a "BIG GAME":shocked:
the vikes pretty much went toe to toe with GB and could beat any team if ponder does'nt throw 3 picks....i think we need all the help we can get this and every week !
i hope they put a club on his hand :D and he gets out there and get's it DONE !

Thnikkaman
11-30-2011, 06:38 PM
well since it's the thumb on his non throwing hand (left thumb), I'd try to see if I could take snaps and throw if I was on a team in the hunt.

And my issue with your posts in this thread is that you act like someone had threatened your freedom.

arapaho2
11-30-2011, 06:40 PM
I think holding him out would be a bad idea. Von has 10.5 sacks in 11 games. He's the catalyst that drives our pass rush. Even when he lines up at OLB and doesn't rush, the O-line still has to account for him possibly coming on a delayed blitz which frees up the others who are rushing. Even if he isn't as effective, having him out there as a decoy is important.

NTM, but Ponder is a pretty mobile QB in his own right so we're going to need speed on the field in order to compensate. Even if he doesn't rush the passer, he'd be a perfect "spy" for Ponder.

he can play with a cast to mobilize his thumb...remember al wilsons big club

he dont need a thumb to lower his shoulder and knock ponder on his ass

bcbronc
11-30-2011, 07:00 PM
great, another first round pick wasted on a porcelain doll. Screw you EFX.

[insert sarcasm smiley here]

wayninja
11-30-2011, 07:28 PM
If Von is sidelined for the game, it will be an interesting test for our team to see if we can still get pressure on the QB and if not, can TT keep us in the game.

I know it's the lowly vikings, but it will see be interesting to see how the equation plays out without this key variable.

Thnikkaman
11-30-2011, 07:40 PM
well since it's the thumb on his non throwing hand (left thumb), I'd try to see if I could take snaps and throw if I was on a team in the hunt.

And my issue with your posts in this thread is that you act like someone had threatened your freedom.

and after posting this I double checked and it is his throwing hand

I Eat Staples
11-30-2011, 07:46 PM
I was right before I got into the office. From that KC guy it sounds like they will start Palsko this week and if he doesn't make a go of it, expect to see Orton. I hope Orton is playing the last game.....I want to see some fainting goat!!! :laugh:

I am so freaking happy Cecil took over for Kreckman....I ******* hate that song working man....and every freaking break that's all he played. :laugh: Plus I like Cecil a lot.

Be careful what you wish for. Orton is a much better QB than Palko, who doesn't even belong in this league. I'd much rather play against him.

On topic, I'm glad this doesn't seem serious. I hope he's able to play this week but if not, I hope he's 100% for the next one.

Slick
11-30-2011, 07:57 PM
Rub some dirt on it Von. We need you.

dogfish
11-30-2011, 08:07 PM
Rub some dirt on it Von. We need you.

von's going to rub ponder in the dirt instead. . .

:defense:

CrazyHorse
12-01-2011, 07:11 AM
Looks like we might be without our best player in Miller for this game. Then again the Vikings might not have Peterson so it's a push. Looks like Royal won't play either.

TXBRONC
12-01-2011, 08:00 AM
Orton played with after a broken bone protruded through his skin.

:coffee:

Just sayin'

No he did not break the bone index finger. It was a compound dislocation.

There is also a big differ in the fact it was his index finger rather than his thumb.

FlyByU
12-01-2011, 08:52 AM
What exactly was he doing with that thumb when it got broken?

Tned
12-01-2011, 09:00 AM
He was just on KOA and said that he's preparing as if he's playing, but didn't really give any hard indication one way or another.

arapaho2
12-01-2011, 12:19 PM

its his throwing hand

and i am not acting like that...simply telling a guy who said this : hopefully he can gut through it unlike Cutler

that its BS....plain and simple...BS

theres no way cutler or any qb could just "gut through it" with that break

wayninja
12-01-2011, 12:28 PM
WTF is half this thread talking about Von and the other about Cutler?

Fullback32
12-01-2011, 12:42 PM
I hope it doesn't keep him out of action. Sean Lee, linebacker for the Cowboys, dislocated his wrist in the Eagles game and was back the next week with a club cast. It affected his tackling somewhat, but we was still quite effective in the Seattle game. Hopefully, Von's injury is of a nature that he can do the same thing.

I Eat Staples
12-01-2011, 02:25 PM
WTF is half this thread talking about Von and the other about Cutler?

Because some people are filled with so much blind hatred of Cutler that they find every opportunity to take a shot at him, whether they make any sense or not.

Thnikkaman
12-01-2011, 02:28 PM
its his throwing hand

and i am not acting like that...simply telling a guy who said this : hopefully he can gut through it unlike Cutler

that its BS....plain and simple...BS

theres no way cutler or any qb could just "gut through it" with that break

http://broncosforums.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1460417&postcount=54

BroncoNut
12-02-2011, 09:58 AM
have there been any reports on how the surgery went? Does anyone have a room number or an address to send a card?

Joel
12-02-2011, 10:39 AM
have there been any reports on how the surgery went? Does anyone have a room number or an address to send a card?
Good questions all. If he plays, my bigggest concern about the injury (apart from aggravating it) would be in pass coverage, easily the weakest part of his game. They can immobilize the thumb while leaving his fingers free to make shoe string tackles, and I suppose he can get his hands up to knock down balls with only one thumb, but interceptions would be difficult, to say the least.

I'm really torn on this, but ultimately I want him to do what's best for his health, despite the facts this is a game we MUST win to be legitimate playoff contenders. I was counting on this game and the one against Chicago to help Miller get the rookie sack record (with a fainting goat coming to town in a few weeks the outright single season record was not out of sight, which would've been phenomenal.) It's not worth losing him for the season though, or the risk of permanent impairment/injury. Here's hoping he's back soon, none the worse for wear, however long that takes.

wayninja
12-02-2011, 09:48 PM

Print the following template to send your card to:

bronconut
Someplace crazy, prolly up in the ******* mountains
Colorado

von miller
wherever surgery on a broken thumb isn't outpatient, Room 58
Broncos place, yesterday, 81111

Dapper Dan
12-02-2011, 09:53 PM
Brett Favre had his thumb bitten off by a crocodile before his high school state championship game and still played. True story. Had it sewed back on after the game. He had 7 TD passes and 472 yards. But Cutler does have diabeetus. He may miss half of the offseason. Team thinks he'll be back before the end of the season. Cutler says fugg that.

Anyways. Is Von gonna play or not?
Have you seen his new girlfriend?

bcbronc
12-02-2011, 10:03 PM
What exactly was he doing with that thumb when it got broken?

I heard some rumours that he was playing a game of football. Can anyone confirm?

Nomad
12-02-2011, 11:04 PM
Miller's gotta play!

FlyByU
12-04-2011, 10:41 AM
I heard some rumours that he was playing a game of football. Can anyone confirm?

your statement isn't very exact