PDA

View Full Version : Fox explains challenge Broncos have in preparing for opponents defense that contributes to Broncos slow starts

Tned
11-29-2011, 11:52 PM
During his weekly spot on Sirius NFL radio today, Fox mad an interesting point about the challenge the Broncos have gameplanning against each upcoming opponent's defense. What Fox said is that since their offense with Tebow is different than any other team runs, it means the Broncos have no film of the opponent's defense against a Tebow/Broncos-like offense. This makes it very hard to create gameplans specifically for the upcoming teams defense.

He said they are basically having to run some plays, see what the defense is running and then react to it on the fly on the sidelines, much more than they normally would do if they had film of the defense playing against an offensive scheme similar to what the Broncos offense is running.

After Fox got off the air, the commentators expanded on the comments by pointing out how this lack of film for gameplanning and having to make up the gameplan on the fly, could be a big part of the slow first halfs that the Broncos Tebow led offense has had.

TXBRONC
11-29-2011, 11:57 PM
During his weekly spot on Sirius NFL radio today, Fox mad an interesting point about the challenge the Broncos have gameplanning against each upcoming opponent's defense. What Fox said is that since their offense with Tebow is different than any other team runs, it means the Broncos have no film of the opponent's defense against a Tebow/Broncos-like offense. This makes it very hard to create gameplans specifically for the upcoming teams defense.

He said they are basically having to run some plays, see what the defense is running and then react to it on the fly on the sidelines, much more than they normally would do if they had film of the defense playing against an offensive scheme similar to what the Broncos offense is running.

After Fox got off the air, the commentators expanded on the comments by pointing out how this lack of film for gameplanning and having to make up the gameplan on the fly, could be a big part of the slow first halfs that the Broncos Tebow led offense has had.

That's interesting.

Do you think there is much truth to it?

MOtorboat
11-29-2011, 11:57 PM
I have reservations about the coaching staff if they can't make adjustments until 55 minutes into the game.

Tned
11-30-2011, 12:09 AM
I have reservations about the coaching staff if they can't make adjustments until 55 minutes into the game.

I think we have two different things in play.

First, the Broncos are going into games close to blind in terms of how teams are going to defend them. More so than any normal game planning. That requires even more sideline evaluation and adjusting than you normally would do (there is always some of it, and the great coaching staffs excel at it).

Second, the Broncos clearly want to run a conservative offense. Fox made another comment. Something along the lines that Timmy's getting a lot of criticism for only having 15 or 18 attempts in a game. It's not his choice. He can throw it more. That is the number of pass attempts that the coaching staff wants if their running game is working.

So, the 55 vs 5 minute thing isn't about the adjustments, but also throwing out the conservative playbook and saying, "ok, Tim. Now it's time to do whatever it takes to win the game."

In the tie games, as soon as the team went to overtime, they went back to ball control, field position play calling.

broncobryce
11-30-2011, 12:16 AM
I think we have two different things in play.

First, the Broncos are going into games close to blind in terms of how teams are going to defend them. More so than any normal game planning. That requires even more sideline evaluation and adjusting than you normally would do (there is always some of it, and the great coaching staffs excel at it).

Second, the Broncos clearly want to run a conservative offense. Fox made another comment. Something along the lines that Timmy's getting a lot of criticism for only having 15 or 18 attempts in a game. It's not his choice. He can throw it more. That is the number of pass attempts that the coaching staff wants if their running game is working.

So, the 55 vs 5 minute thing isn't about the adjustments, but also throwing out the conservative playbook and saying, "ok, Tim. Now it's time to do whatever it takes to win the game."

In the tie games, as soon as the team went to overtime, they went back to ball control, field position play calling.

Reeves was very similar to this, which is why Elway had so many comebacks IMO.

camdisco24
11-30-2011, 12:27 AM
This is even more of a reason we have to stick with Tebow for at least one more season. I can only imagine what we can do with this kid if we have an entire off season to work on a better game plan and get him more comfortable all aspects of the game.

BORDERLINE
11-30-2011, 12:28 AM
OK I see where he is coming from but, shouldn't they have already a variety of ways a defense will play them? i'm saying the jets played them a certain way the chiefs the chargers played them a different way. Should they not go into a game already prepared for multiple defenses based on how they have been schemed against lately?

But then again really it's only been a handful of games running this offense. And Tebow looks to be improving in the passing game with the limited amount of throws he gets once he can start hitting on a higher percentage of those passes the opposing defense will be in a pickle. Our ground game is no joke!!!!

Tned
11-30-2011, 12:34 AM
OK I see where he is coming from but, shouldn't they have already a variety of ways a defense will play them? i'm saying the jets played them a certain way the chiefs the chargers played them a different way. Should they not go into a game already prepared for multiple defenses based on how they have been schemed against lately?

But then again really it's only been a handful of games running this offense. And Tebow looks to be improving in the passing game with the limited amount of throws he gets once he can start hitting on a higher percentage of those passes the opposing defense will be in a pickle. Our ground game is no joke!!!!

He didn't go into a lot of detail. I'm sure they do look at what the teams they have played have tried to do to stop them, but it still isn't the same as reviewing film of the actual team you are playing. They don't get to watch for tendencies, formations that might tip off blitzes or other play. Where certain defenders are weak and might be exposed.

Obviously, they are still watching the film of the opponents 3-5 previous games as always, and might decide that when they pass they want to pick on _____ cornerback, etc., but they can't say, "when we run the read option and Tebow keeps, he needs to watch for _______, because he has a tendency to fake inside and then quickly turn outside to set the edge" and stuff like that. They simply don't have film of the upcoming defense defending the Broncos non-traditional stuff.

MOtorboat
11-30-2011, 12:39 AM
I'm sorry, my browser quit on me twice with a response typed up, but I just don't have a lot of confidence in a staff that says its hard to prepare for opponents, doesn't make adjustments for 55 minutes, then just tells Tebow to go win it in the fourth quarter and throws out the gameplan.

That sounds like a severely underprepared offensive staff.

Tned
11-30-2011, 12:44 AM
I'm sorry, my browser quit on me twice with a response typed up, but I just don't have a lot of confidence in a staff that says its hard to prepare for opponents, doesn't make adjustments for 55 minutes, then just tells Tebow to go win it in the fourth quarter and throws out the gameplan.

That sounds like a severely underprepared offensive staff.

Like Broncobryce said, it's like Deja Vu of Reeves/Elway, but with the added twist that since they are doing something unique, they can only guess at what their opponent will do to try and stop the Broncos offense.

NightTrainLayne
11-30-2011, 01:32 AM
I listened to the interview, and Fox's comment was one short comment toward the end of the interview. Pat & Tim didn't even ask a follow-up on it.

Then Pat and Tim took that one comment and discussed it quite a bit.

I think it's an interesting thing to discuss, and Tim and Pat obviously thought so too, but to draw a conclusion that the staff can't make an adjustment for 55 minutes is really blowing things out of proportion.

If I remember right, Pat asked about the advantage the Broncos have in that other teams have to use valuable prep time to prepare for the option game.

Fox answered quickly that essentially it cuts both ways because right now they really don't know how a particular team is going to try to defend it either. That's about all that was said.

Then Pat & Tim talked about it for a couple minutes after hanging up with Fox.

wayninja
11-30-2011, 01:37 AM
It works both ways though. Sure, our offense doesn't have a lot of film on opposing defenses trying to defend our scheme, but those same defenses don't spend a lot of time normally preparing for an offense like ours. It sorta offsets, doesn't it?

NightTrainLayne
11-30-2011, 01:53 AM
It works both ways though. Sure, our offense doesn't have a lot of film on opposing defenses trying to defend our scheme, but those same defenses don't spend a lot of time normally preparing for an offense like ours. It sorta offsets, doesn't it?

Right. I think it very much favors us.

Fox just made that comment I think to offset the notion that it gives us this huge, overwhelming advantage. Yes, it is an advantage, but it's not like we have a crystal ball into their response, and so there are new wrinkles each week that they see thrown at us just as we are adding new wrinkles each week.

CrazyHorse
11-30-2011, 06:17 AM
Reeves was very similar to this, which is why Elway had so many comebacks IMO.

My thoughts EXACTLY.

The Glue Factory
11-30-2011, 10:22 AM

The problem is that we don't have any tape on how the Vikings are going to defend this. The only thing that having tape on the Chiefs game will help is when we play them on week 17. If anything opponents will have an easier time prepping for us as they get tape on what other teams have done and have a chance to identify what our tendencies. Unfortunately, we won't have the same ability to see what their tendencies are.

arapaho2
11-30-2011, 02:03 PM
although i can see the logic of this idea

i tend to put the biggest blame of the early struggles on the fact tim has basically nobody other then decker who can get open on a consistant basis and actually catch the ball

royal has digressed considerably, cant get open other than an occasional quick out...and drops most of those

thomas is a waste...no seperation...no effort and is a complete non factor for a 1st rnd pick that was supposed to be able to dominate cbs

then we dont have the weapon that all leading qbs have...a go to Te that creates mismatches and is a safety valve for a struggling qb

combine that with tims sometimes erratic passes, lack of time in a passing attack and the lackof any offseason coaching

i can see why we would lean heavily on the run game and have struggles early

rcsodak
11-30-2011, 02:33 PM

Huh....same thing i said in my TT...sirius thread....only with less words.

;') :lol:

Mobile Post via http://Mobile.BroncosForums.com/forums

Tned
12-01-2011, 07:57 AM
Right. I think it very much favors us.

Fox just made that comment I think to offset the notion that it gives us this huge, overwhelming advantage. Yes, it is an advantage, but it's not like we have a crystal ball into their response, and so there are new wrinkles each week that they see thrown at us just as we are adding new wrinkles each week.

He was asked about it yesterday in the presser, and this was Fox's response:

“We don’t know. One of the things that is a disadvantage for us is we don’t get to see a lot of people do what we do offensively, so we don’t really get to see how the opponent is going to play. Our players and coaches have done a good job adjusting to that early in the game. We’ll have to do that again this Sunday.”

underrated29
12-01-2011, 11:01 AM
Eh whatever, not saying I buy it but it is interesting.

However the argument for 55the and 5I minutes is crap too though. In all our games we have taken shots on the homerun ball early. We just haven't connected from timing, bad throw, or drops.
It has nothing to do with film it anything else and it also throws the 55to 5 thing to the trash too. Weve tried to get some big points in the early game. It just hasn't clicked quite yet.

Obviously in the 4thearly when behind just like any NFL team you open it up as much as possible and go balls to the wall. Tebow as we know has the first biggest balls of them all

Tned
12-01-2011, 11:12 AM
Eh whatever, not saying I buy it but it is interesting.

However the argument for 55the and 5I minutes is crap too though. In all our games we have taken shots on the homerun ball early. We just haven't connected from timing, bad throw, or drops.
It has nothing to do with film it anything else and it also throws the 55to 5 thing to the trash too. Weve tried to get some big points in the early game. It just hasn't clicked quite yet.

Obviously in the 4thearly when behind just like any NFL team you open it up as much as possible and go balls to the wall. Tebow as we know has the first biggest balls of them all

Fox didn't address the 55 minute thing in either of his comments. Fact is that only the Miami game had a true 5 / 55 minute disparity. The other games they simply focused on the run until they had to use the pass to come back late. The Jets game as an example, even though people like Schlereth continued to say Tebow sucked for 55 minutes, Tebow was 5-7 in the first half with one of the incomplete being a Decker drop.

He didn't use it as an excuse, as much as what NTL said, which is that in response to people saying that the Broncos opponents don't have much experience or film defending the read option in the NFL, Fox pointed out that the Broncos have even less film to rely on in preparing their gameplan.