PDA

View Full Version : Reasons why the Broncos could beat New England.

Bullgator
11-29-2011, 01:31 PM
The remaining schedule looks favorable for the Broncos.

The Vikings without AP should finally be a win Denver doesn't have to sweat over.

The Bears still have a good D and run game, but without Jay Denver can stack the box against Forte. Chicago looks very beatable as Oakland showed.

The Bills are imploding. Still a dangerous team but with Denver's style of play I would certainly expect the Broncos to be the favorite.

And no WAY that Kyle Orton comes into mile high and beats the Broncos. In Fact I expect him to get injured... badly. Denver will be at least a touchdown favorite against the Chiefs.

As for NE... they seem to be the only team that is supposed to be the Broncos... not to say Denver is a shoe in to beat the other 4 teams but they should be favored.

But I think we should not write off the NE game as a loss. In fact, I think Denver has a good shot at winning this game and even winning out.

Here are a few reasons why.

1.) Its at home.- Yes being at home didn't prevent a blow out against the Lions but that was a different era, a different team. Also its not so much the advantage of being at home but more not having the disadvantage of playing in Foxboro. Still, the way we pound the ball for 4 quarters and wear defenses out, you have to like the high altitude wearing on a mediocre NE defense. This bodes well for our style of play.

2.) The coaching style and the running game. -Pounding the ball means that we can keep Brady off the field more. Chew up the clock, keep it with in striking distance. Denver could have done this with Detroit and I believe that had they done this the end result would have been much much different. In short the play style matches up well against them.

3.) Von Doom. Its well known that if you can get to Brady then you can rattle him. He is not the most mobile QB and his main response to getting hurried is not to scramble away but to get the ball out faster...this has led to forced throws and thus many picks. You get to Brady, you have the advantage... and I believe that Von Doom will.

4.) No Turn overs.- Denver doesn't give any gifts... everything has to be earned against the Broncos D. Solid mistake free football is KEY. And the Broncos have been doing that since Tebow has taken over. Denver doesn't give any cheap scores or short fields to the opposing teams.

5.) Kicking Game.- If this game is not a blow out then Denver has the advantage period. Prater is as clutch a kicker there is in the league and Colquitt has been a HUGE weapon in Foxball. Both no brainier Pro Bowlers.

6.) Tim Tebow. You can't explain it, but if the game is close at the end you know the world is going to say "No way, he's going to do it again." And he will. Its such a huge advantage when both sides of the ball are saying that. And your team has that confidence that swagger. Now this may be a push because we all know Brady also has clutch in spades, but just to have an answer for Brady is BIG.

7.) The Broncos are 6-1 against New England.

Perception is everything. Belief is everything. Once a team believes they are great then they are great. Once the rest of the league believes it too then you can be champions. The defense was perceived as the worst in the league not too long ago... that same defense is now perceived to be one of the best. The Packers were perceived to be mediocre last year, they weren't even expected to make the playoffs... they barley made it in. They got on a roll, caught some breaks and now they are unbeatable. Why? not just because Rodgers arm. That whole franchise believes that they are the best. From the coaching staff to the ball boys. They all stepped up their game to be great. They created that belief in themselves. The Broncos are starting to believe in them selves. If they win out and beat the pats then the rest of the league will believe too and at that point don't think for one second that the Super Bowl is out of reach.

HammeredOut
11-29-2011, 01:36 PM
Just look at the historic facts of how Tom Brady plays the Broncos, he actually has a losing record.

claymore
11-29-2011, 01:37 PM
If we can score early and get brady dirty I think we can win. They have their division locked up anyway, they dont wanna get roughed up this late in the season.

tubby
11-29-2011, 01:41 PM
The Broncos play the Vikings this week. #DF

Bullgator
11-29-2011, 01:44 PM

Whats your point, tubby?

Slick
11-29-2011, 01:46 PM
Whats your point, tubby?

I think Tubby is saying don't sleep on the Vikings. Any given Sunday and all...

NightTerror218
11-29-2011, 01:46 PM
My prediction is that we will be tied for ACF West lead after this weekend.

Denver wins in Min
Oak loses to GB

all tied up

NorCalBronco7
11-29-2011, 01:51 PM
Well, Im still worried about the Vikings right now. They still have a great dline led by Jared Allen/Kevin Williams. . . and good LBs EJ Henderson/Chad Greenway. Vikings are 9th overall against the run. Should be a battle in the trenches. They are HORRIBLE against the pass though, ranking 29th. This is a perfect setting for Tebow to make plays with his arm and finally have a breakout game this season through the air.

One game at a time.

Northman
11-29-2011, 01:56 PM
http://www.drewlitton.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/tebowmagicink.gif

slim
11-29-2011, 01:56 PM
My prediction is that we will be tied for ACF West lead after this weekend.

Denver wins in Min
Oak loses to GB

all tied up

I think Oak plays Miami.

claymore
11-29-2011, 01:58 PM

I hope Von Miller claims Christian Ponders asshymen and wears it on a necklace the rest of the year.

Bullgator
11-29-2011, 02:22 PM
I hope Von Miller claims Christian Ponders asshymen and wears it on a necklace the rest of the year.

IDK how many QBs Von Doom has knocked out but I thinks its a few... I know they put Sanchez and Rivers in full on bitch mode :laugh:

Buff
11-29-2011, 02:38 PM
Whats your point, tubby?

The point is we are a 1.5 point underdog to a 2-9 football team that is missing their best player...

Maybe we ought to worry about winning that one before we concern ourselves with one of the best QBs of all time.

camdisco24
11-29-2011, 03:03 PM
Good post Bullgator.

I think you are correct about the Pats, it will be our toughest game, but based off Brady's history in Den... We might be okay.

However, we can't sleep on Minny. They have actually played well this season, so we have to focus on them for now. I'm sure John Fox is getting the guys focused one week at a time. We can't let this winning streak get to our heads quite yet.

NightTerror218
11-29-2011, 03:03 PM
I think Oak plays Miami.

do they? I know they have the GB game left on schedule.

you are right its the next game after that.

Bullgator
11-29-2011, 03:08 PM
The point is we are a 1.5 point underdog to a 2-9 football team that is missing their best player...

Maybe we ought to worry about winning that one before we concern ourselves with one of the best QBs of all time.

Naaa... let the football team worry about that.

We can look ahead... This is a message board, its kinda what we do.

And besides, this thread is not about the other games. This isn't a playoff, even if we lose them all we are still going to play NE. THIS thread is about our chances of beating NE.

Kinda stands on its own.

silkamilkamonico
11-29-2011, 03:14 PM
Denver is playing a brand of football where we can beat anybody, and lose to anybody.

I think the one game left on our schedule we surely won't win is New England. They are in the midst of a 3 way race to playoff HFA, so they will be on the top of their game from here on out. Brady and New England's offense is going to score points, and I don't think 17 points is enough to win in. Tebow has only broken the 20 point barrier once in this run, and we're going to need at least that in hopes for staying close to New England and hoping to pull one out at the end.

T.K.O.
11-29-2011, 03:16 PM
is it official that A.D. wont play ? i had'nt heard that.
it would certainly help our chances

TXBRONC
11-29-2011, 03:19 PM

Ponder is every bit as mobile as Tebow fwiw.

Buff
11-29-2011, 03:21 PM
Naaa... let the football team worry about that.

We can look ahead... This is a message board, its kinda what we do.

And besides, this thread is not about the other games. This isn't a playoff, even if we lose them all we are still going to play NE. THIS thread is about our chances of beating NE.

Kinda stands on its own.

I guess. But it kind of seems like we're getting ahead of ourselves by speculating. If we lose the next two games then all of the sudden this game doesn't matter so much.

I'd rather talk about the Vikings game. But that's just me.

Bullgator
11-29-2011, 03:22 PM
is it official that A.D. wont play ? i had'nt heard that.
it would certainly help our chances

So far this week he is not slated to play. They don't have much to play for so why risk aggravating the injury even more.. hes getting long in the tooth, but still has a couple of good years left... Minny is going to need those years and so you want to limit his wear and tear when there is nothing to play for.

Having said that it still would not surprise me if he does play. It would be smarter if he didn't, not to mention better for the draft pick.

NightTerror218
11-29-2011, 03:22 PM
Denver is playing a brand of football where we can beat anybody, and lose to anybody.

I think the one game left on our schedule we surely won't win is New England. They are in the midst of a 3 way race to playoff HFA, so they will be on the top of their game from here on out. Brady and New England's offense is going to score points, and I don't think 17 points is enough to win in. Tebow has only broken the 20 point barrier once in this run, and we're going to need at least that in hopes for staying close to New England and hoping to pull one out at the end.

Have been talks that if NE winds out they may sit Brady and some starts last couple games or limit time to avoid injury. Would you want to put Brady in front of Miller/Doom who in last 4 games have had 10 sacks and 30 QB hits?

NightTerror218
11-29-2011, 03:23 PM

I dont want to see Ponder me a Mayes/dawkins sandwich

silkamilkamonico
11-29-2011, 03:24 PM
Have been talks that if NE winds out they may sit Brady and some starts last couple games or limit time to avoid injury. Would you want to put Brady in front of Miller/Doom who in last 4 games have had 10 sacks and 30 QB hits?

Sitting Brady the last few weeks at the expense of losing HFA throughout the playoffs is utterly ridiculous and the talks of football morons.

Belichek is not going to sit Brady and risk losing HFA, it's a more coveted goal for those types of teams than winning their division.

Bullgator
11-29-2011, 03:28 PM

I can tell you from watching every snap of Ponders college career that that is NOT true. And he certainly doesn't have durability and running ability. But yes he can slide in the pocket well and even take off at times.

He is mobile, but he will be hard pressed to get out of the pocket with two smaller, faster ends in Von Doom closing the pocket in on him... I dont think we will lose contain...

silkamilkamonico
11-29-2011, 03:31 PM
Tebow is much more mobile than Ponder, just like Ponder is much better in the pocket and in the passing game.

Bullgator
11-29-2011, 03:35 PM
Sitting Brady the last few weeks at the expense of losing HFA throughout the playoffs is utterly ridiculous and the talks of football morons.

Belichek is not going to sit Brady and risk losing HFA, it's a more coveted goal for those types of teams than winning their division.

I think it would be smart to sit Brady during that week.. a non con fence game... we will have no tie breaker issues with them for a wild card spot... and believe it or not Mallet is capable of winning games...

You dont sit him for the year but it would be smart to sit your most valuable commodity against Von Doom with nothing to lose. The question is do you go all out to win HFA even if it means damaging yourself for the playoff run?

Von Doom has hurt alot of QBs this year. Brady WILL take a beating and if Von has to pay 25-50k for a late hit don't think for 1 second he wont lower the boom like he did against Sanchez.. Brady takes a hit like that its lights out NE.

It will never happen lol but I think it would be smart... bring in a pinch hitter.

T.K.O.
11-29-2011, 03:36 PM
the way coaches are getting the axe today...i bet minny plays Peterson if he can go.
no way they throw in the towell and hope to move up 2-3 draft spots

Bullgator
11-29-2011, 03:36 PM
Tebow is much more mobile than Ponder, just like Ponder is much better in the pocket and in the passing game.

In the Pros anyways... don't forget Tebow's college passing stats destroys Ponders.

But so far in the pros you are correct......so far

silkamilkamonico
11-29-2011, 03:41 PM
I think it would be smart to sit Brady during that week.. a non con fence game... we will have no tie breaker issues with them for a wild card spot... and believe it or not Mallet is capable of winning games...

They are competing against us for playoff positioning. They are competing against Pittsburgh and Houston (all three teams are 8-3), for HFA. Have you just recently started watching the NFL? HFA throughout the playoffs is the one single purpose that these teams that have dominated their division over the years play for.

The insinuation that New England is going to somehow dodge Denver's defense at the expense of HFA is utter crazy talk. They aren't going to sit Brady that game, and risk the possibility that their road to the SuperBowl goes through Pittsburgh.

It's like you guys are saying "New England would rather travel to Pittsburgh in the playoffs than play Denver's defense."

LMAO

silkamilkamonico
11-29-2011, 03:43 PM
In the Pros anyways... don't forget Tebow's college passing stats destroys Ponders.

But so far in the pros you are correct......so far

If college stats had any say in this argument, we would probably be talking about Timmy Chang and Graham Harrell, who aren't even on an NFL roster.

Bullgator
11-29-2011, 04:03 PM
They are competing against us for playoff positioning. They are competing against Pittsburgh and Houston (all three teams are 8-3), for HFA. Have you just recently started watching the NFL? HFA throughout the playoffs is the one single purpose that these teams that have dominated their division over the years play for.

The insinuation that New England is going to somehow dodge Denver's defense at the expense of HFA is utter crazy talk. They aren't going to sit Brady that game, and risk the possibility that their road to the SuperBowl goes through Pittsburgh.

It's like you guys are saying "New England would rather travel to Pittsburgh in the playoffs than play Denver's defense."

LMAO

I plainly stated that they would never sit Brady.

But I think there is a distinct possibility that Brady will be crushed by our pass rush. It would ALMOST be worth it to sit him. Cuz I'd rather have Brady going into the playoffs that HFA without him.

Like I said no way that they will sit Brady... and they shouldn't but the denver pass rush is a bullet they need to dodge and it could bite them in the ass.

Bullgator
11-29-2011, 04:04 PM
If college stats had any say in this argument, we would probably be talking about Timmy Chang and Graham Harrell, who aren't even on an NFL roster.

Except that the starting 2 QBs this week are Tim Tebow and Christian Ponder... WTF are you talking about?

why the **** would we be talking about 2 QBs who are not even playing?

I Eat Staples
11-29-2011, 04:22 PM
Don't overlook the Vikings. It was only a few weeks ago when we thought we were beatable by ANYONE. Yes we're playing well and inspired football and should be favored but we need to see consistent success and some more convincing victories against the worse teams before we can take anything for granted.

That said, you make some excellent points. Threads like this really get me pumped and make me believe, but I must remain cautious. New England is still the better team in the matchup, until and unless we prove otherwise. It's not a sure loss though, but it has the potential to get ugly if we don't execute.

silkamilkamonico
11-29-2011, 04:26 PM
Except that the starting 2 QBs this week are Tim Tebow and Christian Ponder... WTF are you talking about?

why the **** would we be talking about 2 QBs who are not even playing?

Good point, it's almost as moronic is actually trying to argue college stats at the NFL level.

BORDERLINE
11-29-2011, 04:44 PM
Perception is everything. Belief is everything. Once a team believes they are great then they are great. Once the rest of the league believes it too then you can be champions. The defense was perceived as the worst in the league not too long ago... that same defense is now perceived to be one of the best. The Packers were perceived to be mediocre last year, they weren't even expected to make the playoffs... they barley made it in. They got on a roll, caught some breaks and now they are unbeatable. Why? not just because Rodgers arm. That whole franchise believes that they are the best. From the coaching staff to the ball boys. They all stepped up their game to be great. They created that belief in themselves. The Broncos are starting to believe in them selves.

Let's not get a head of ourselves here. We need to take care of the Vikes first to see how the NE game shapes up. I agree completely with the quote above once someone believes they can accomplish something anything is possible. The NFL is a funny place once one minute your out the playoff hunt the next your in line for the division title.

If they win out and beat the pats then the rest of the league will believe too and at that point don't think for one second that the Super Bowl is out of reach.

I won't touch that comment

Cugel
11-29-2011, 04:57 PM

I wouldn't say Tebow is "more mobile" than Ponder, I'd say he's a lot better runner. There's a difference. Ponder is not looking to run as a first choice. He's trying to move around and avoid a sack long enough to throw the ball. He's a traditional pocket passing QB who happens to have some mobility.

The knock on Ponder was his arm after the shoulder surgery. The last couple of games they are questioning him durability again. He did seem there for a while to have adequate passing strength, but he'll never be a gunner like Jay Cutler.

Cugel
11-29-2011, 05:00 PM
If they win out and beat the pats then the rest of the league will believe too and at that point don't think for one second that the Super Bowl is out of reach.

Dude! "Stay away from the Brown Acid!"

http://images.icanhascheezburger.com/completestore/2008/3/31/woodstockkitteh128514468288750000.jpg

Joel
11-29-2011, 05:01 PM
Well, Im still worried about the Vikings right now. They still have a great dline led by Jared Allen/Kevin Williams. . . and good LBs EJ Henderson/Chad Greenway. Vikings are 9th overall against the run. Should be a battle in the trenches. They are HORRIBLE against the pass though, ranking 29th. This is a perfect setting for Tebow to make plays with his arm and finally have a breakout game this season through the air.

One game at a time.
I back the Vikings along with the Broncos, for various reasons, and agree with that assessment. Frazier's an awful coach and the Vikings suffer from sharing a Division with the revitalized Lions, the perfect SB Champs and the Division winner GB went through en route to that championship. They could still have twice as many wins if they hadn't blown massive half time leads against the Bucs and those Lions. Which is to say, this team everyone is looking past led 20-0 at the half against a team that beat us 42-10. On top of that, as others have noted, with our style of offense one turnover at the wrong place could be enough to kill us (it almost happened against the Jets.) Here's hoping this is the week Tebow finally settles in as a legit NFL PASSER, but there are no gimmes in the NFL (just ask the 1998 Vikings, 15-1 in the regular season but winless in the playoffs.)

I still back the Broncos first, but the NE game is likely to be a beat down. I fear the Texans (also a favorite of mine) and their third string QB will be in a full tail spin by then and out of competition for a homefield advantage that would do them little good anyway, but the Ravens rather than the Steelers will probably remain a threat to NE hosting all their playoff games. For whatever it's worth, Wikipedia claims the Broncos are actually 25-16 against the Patriots, though 6-1 against Tom Brady personally:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Denver_Broncos#New_England_Patriots

CrazyHorse
11-29-2011, 05:25 PM
I think our schedule is favorable but let's not get ahead of ourselves. Haven't you ever heard "Don't count your chickens before they're hatched"? That's exactly where we are at right now.

Superchop 7
11-29-2011, 06:29 PM
With New England, you want to screw with their pre-snap reads.

On offense, stretch it out to where McGahee is one on one with a DB.

vhatever
11-29-2011, 06:34 PM
The vikings are really the favorites???

That can't be right. I know they have been playing better than their record, but that's absurd.

Oh, and i think ESPN would have a total meltdown if the broncos beat the pats.

Would love to schlereth's stupid face after the win though.

BroncoBJ
11-29-2011, 07:08 PM
I know you have only been watching the broncos for 6 games, but as a broncos fan I know that no game is a game that we won't have to sweat over. chances are the Vikings game will come down to the 4th quarter again reguardless. Hope I'm wrong though.

As for the Pats, I havnt' even really thought much about them yet. Other then I hope it gets flexed to Sunday Night football. Still a few games away from that one. :fight: I am scared though. Detroit and Green Bay both like to spread the field as do the Patriots. Could be a long day :(

Shazam!
11-29-2011, 08:41 PM
I am not ready to think of the Pats yet.