PDA

View Full Version : The Broncos' Offensive line is back to being good again, right?

sneakers
11-29-2011, 01:01 AM
They look 300% better than they did early in the season, and how many sacks have they given up in the last 3 weeks? 1?

The best part is, they are all young.

rcsodak
11-29-2011, 08:49 AM
Just like JR/Top predicted, after playing together for awhile. ;')

Mobile Post via http://Mobile.BroncosForums.com/forums

threefolddead
11-29-2011, 09:02 AM
Tebow had all day in that pocket thanks to them. I've been impressed how this team has come together a little more every week in ever facet. It's fun to watch a good o-line play though.

HammeredOut
11-29-2011, 10:26 AM
Well if you watched the games, you will notice that when you run the ball 55 times in a game, your not exactly giving the otherside a chance to sack you in the pocket. I like this ground and pound type of play. I was pretty suspect about this offensive line also, but they know how to beat up opposing defensive lines. If you look at some of the better offensive lines in the league, you will notice that, an offensive line prefers to beat up the D-Lines first by running the ball. Our guys are truly wearing down a defense now.

BroncoStud
11-29-2011, 10:57 AM

Jr/Top are marginally sane. It has more to do with removing a 6'4 statue from the QB position and installing a run-oriented offense, which they are better suited to execute.

Nice try though Kyle... How's the BBQ up in KC?

TXBRONC
11-29-2011, 11:14 AM

The four out of the five starters have been playing together nearly two full seasons now. JR/Top prediction isn't all that enlightening.

Dzone
11-29-2011, 12:15 PM
Would like to see how each member of the O liine has graded out. I know there was a site that did that.

BCJ
11-29-2011, 01:37 PM
San Diego was not rushing too many when we did have an obvious pass down situation. Though it was nice to see Tebow have as much time as he needed in those circumstances. In rushing situations, they have learned very fast what to do in this offense. I also noticed less holding calls even though one was very costly in the 4th quarter on a 3rd down scramble run by Tebow.
All in all, they are improving and hope we can do some play action passes on 1st down for some success. Only if the coaches knew what that was in a playbook.

Ziggy
11-29-2011, 01:45 PM
Would like to see how each member of the O liine has graded out. I know there was a site that did that.

I just started a thread on that DZone.

G_Money
11-29-2011, 03:13 PM
Magazu is doing a great job of coaching up the guys. If they'd had the whole off-season they might have started off like this.

Of course, not throwing the ball is helping too - keeps Franklin in an absolute strength for him instead of an area of weakness. Ditto Beadles, who has become a stronger run blocker as the year has gone on, and Walton, who is no longer being used as a lawn dart by pass rushers collapsing the pocket.

But since we'll need to go back to passing the ball at some point, I still have concerns.

They have been quite good at what they've been asked to do the last month, though. I'm very impressed by their ability to improve and learn from their OL coach and take control of the line of scrimmage for the most part. Adding in a Heavy package with an OL playing TE helps too, though, don't forget.

Now I want to see some holes on short yardage 3rd downs. If we're gonna insist on running it right up the gut on 3rd and 2 ALL THE TIME then Beadles and Walton need to shift some people. That's where Beadles and Walton are shown up in a straight power man scheme in crucial situations, and where I think Franklin at OG would make a difference.

I'm curious to see how we proceed in the offseason, though, knowing that for the most part this line can handle its run-blocking assignments fine.

I still want a new RT so Franklin can crack those holes on 3rd down and Beadles can be a good backup of the sort we really don't have now - and HE can come in for heavy packages instead of Clark and that will make that package better as well.

~G

rcsodak
11-29-2011, 03:16 PM
Tebow had all day in that pocket thanks to them. I've been impressed how this team has come together a little more every week in ever facet. It's fun to watch a good o-line play though.
To be fair, you DID see the 3 man rush, and hear Fouts questioning that, right?

rcsodak
11-29-2011, 03:22 PM
The four out of the five starters have been playing together nearly two full seasons now. JR/Top prediction isn't all that enlightening.
And yet, even at the beginning of the year, people here were whining about beadles/walton.

So again, time cures all ills, it seems. ;')

Cugel
11-29-2011, 03:26 PM
And yet, even at the beginning of the year, people here were whining about beadles/walton.

There's an obvious difference between pass blocking 10-15 times a game and 30 times a game, just as there's an obvious difference between Kyle Orton and Tebow in terms of evading the rush!

The OL is not very good yet at pass-blocking, but they are quite young and hopefully can improve.

Because obviously the Broncos in the future are going to have to throw a good deal more than they are doing right now. Every team they've played has self-destructed with stupid penalties, bad decisions and broken plays.

The one team that didn't make massive mistakes was the Lions and they crushed Tebow & the Broncos.

So, there's a ways to go, but it is encouraging to see them improving, even if Tebow is responsible for a lot of it (with his mobility).

G_Money
11-29-2011, 03:40 PM
I still don't think Beadles and Walton are the answers if we want a top-flight OL. If we don't add any OL help over the FA and draft period, then the Broncos either disagree with me, or don't believe getting a top-flight OL is an immediate priority.

For what we're doing now, however, my complaints aren't major - except for the 3rd down thing. Memo to McCoy: if you insist on running behind your two weakest run blockers on 3rd and short, you're gonna continue to get stuffed, or require great individual effort from the ball carrier to succeed.

Make it easier on all of us and DO SOMETHING DIFFERENT.

~G

Joel
11-29-2011, 05:09 PM

The line is playing much better, but I'm still not sold on either Beadles or Walton, particularly the latter. I would love to take a stellar guard in the draft (or take a stellar tackle and put Franklin back at guard.)

Shazam!
11-29-2011, 10:41 PM
That's because with Orton teams were not afraid of Denver's run game.

They play TT totally different.

God, I love it. It's such a great time to be a Broncos fan.

DenBronx
11-29-2011, 11:08 PM
They look 300% better than they did early in the season, and how many sacks have they given up in the last 3 weeks? 1?

The best part is, they are all young.

I think there were sevaral plays last week that he had about 7 or so seconds to decide where to throw the ball. So how come it's the same line with wayyyy more time?

Well, you honestly have to give TT credit here as well as the line. Reason being is that if the DLine overpursure then TT can take off and rip up BIG chunks of yards. Also TT buys much more time than any normal conventional QB. Same line looked like garbage with flat footed, 5.8 40 yard dash Kyle Orton.

One things for sure, defenses are scared to death of our offense. Like I said before, if TT can get his throwing percentage near 56% or more he will be lethal and force defenses accross the league to change.

Did anyone else have an OH SHIT moment when Clady went down with a leg injury last Sunday? I did...

Superchop 7
11-29-2011, 11:23 PM
The o-line is currently ranked 16th on nfl.com.

It mirrors my sentiments, they are about middle of the pack, not bad....not great.