Keegan Herring, ASU - 5'10", 195, avg 40-4.43, round 7
Aaron Brown, TCU - 6'1", 196, avg 40-4.49, round 7
Brad Lester, Aub - 5'11", 192, avg 40-4.53, round 7
Curtis Brinkley, Syr - 5'9", 205, avg 40-4.52, round 7

...and just for fun...

Jorvorskie Lane, TAMU - 6'0", 295, avg 40-4.78, UDFA

claymore
01-20-2009, 01:50 PM
Coach, if Beaniee wells was there at 12 would you take him?

CoachChaz
01-20-2009, 01:54 PM
Coach, if Beaniee wells was there at 12 would you take him?

No. I wouldnt take any of the RB's at 12. None of them impress me so much that I would draft them that high AND because I think there is really good value at the position in rounds 2-3...AND...because I am perfectly okay with a Hills/Bell combo with Torrain added in when he's not in a wheelchair.

G_Money
01-20-2009, 01:56 PM
Donald Brown in Round Two is a better back for us than Beanie in Round One.

IMO, Donald Brown in Round ONE is a better back for us, but I adore the kid so maybe I’m talkin’ outta my ass.

Since it looks like we’re keeping the same scheme, though, Beanie’s not a perfect fit. Brown is. He’s also really talented.

It’s the best of both worlds, and since he will be available later than Beanie, it’s an even bigger bonus.

~G

claymore
01-20-2009, 01:59 PM
No. I wouldnt take any of the RB's at 12. None of them impress me so much that I would draft them that high AND because I think there is really good value at the position in rounds 2-3...AND...because I am perfectly okay with a Hills/Bell combo with Torrain added in when he's not in a wheelchair.

Donald Brown in Round Two is a better back for us than Beanie in Round One.

IMO, Donald Brown in Round ONE is a better back for us, but I adore the kid so maybe I’m talkin’ outta my ass.

Since it looks like we’re keeping the same scheme, though, Beanie’s not a perfect fit. Brown is. He’s also really talented.

It’s the best of both worlds, and since he will be available later than Beanie, it’s an even bigger bonus.

~G

I dont mean to sully your thread Coach.... so let me know if thats the case.

If not Beanie... Who? LB.... Trade back..... There is not a NT rated that high in this draft is there? Its a deep safety draft correct?

CoachChaz
01-20-2009, 02:04 PM
I dont mean to sully your thread Coach.... so let me know if thats the case.

If not Beanie... Who? LB.... Trade back..... There is not a NT rated that high in this draft is there? Its a deep safety draft correct?

I posted this in another thread

Round 1 - I have no clue what to do with this pick. It's too high or too low for anything we need, IMO. So, I decided to trade it. Dump it in a package for a 2010 #1 and a 2009 2nd rounder.

2A - Larry English - OLB - NIU
2B - Paul Kruger - OLB - Utah
3 - Rashad Jennings - RB - Liberty
4 - Chip Vaughn - SS - Wake Forest
5A - Andy Kemp - OG - Wisconsin
5B - Terrence Taylor - NT - Michigan
6 - Sammie Lee Hill - NT - Stillman
7 - Zack Potter - DE - Nebraska

claymore
01-20-2009, 02:08 PM

Round 1 - I have no clue what to do with this pick. It's too high or too low for anything we need, IMO. So, I decided to trade it. Dump it in a package for a 2010 #1 and a 2009 2nd rounder.

I did read that. I hate trading out of the first round. It might be best though.

CoachChaz
01-20-2009, 02:12 PM
I did read that. I hate trading out of the first round. It might be best though.

But at a glance, I think there is better value in the 2nd round and players that can contribute for us...as well as looking at the fact that there will be alot more top end talent in the first round next year

underrated29
01-20-2009, 02:18 PM
COACH- nice list.

i think the guy in my sig should be on there. Whoever signs this guy is gonna be pleasantly surprised. He is worth a late rd pick or UFDA.

What do you feel about that big guy who is hawaiin- his name escapes me, he is like 6-2 250lbs not real fast though. Probably a UFDA or 7th rdr.

I had rashard in as one of my sleepers, but when i saw him run i wasnt to impressed. Do you think he could still surprise some and i saw some bad footage (of course the footage was bad not me :biggrin:).

Lonestar
01-20-2009, 02:36 PM
good work I just hope we do not do the Small type RB again.. anything under 220 should not be considered IMO..

I think the NFL is moving away from them and I realize that both TD and poorti$$$ were in the 212 area, but that was also almost 10 years ago..

Unless we get real beefy on the OLINE, going up by more than 20 pounds each the bigger back is more necessary to move the rock consistently..

We have had plenty of the small back trails since they left and frankly none have consistently worked out IMO..

CoachChaz
01-20-2009, 02:37 PM
The current info I have on Seymour has him rated as the 77th RB. He's small and not very fast, so I see him as a UDFA if he gets a call at all.

Not sure which Hawaiian you are talking about

Are you referring to Rashad Jennings being a sleeper and not impressive?

turftoad
01-20-2009, 02:39 PM
good work I just hope we do not do the Small type RB again.. anything under 220 should not be considered IMO..

I think the NFL is moving away from them and I realize that both TD and poorti$$$ were in the 212 area, but that was also almost 10 years ago..

Unless we get real beefy on the OLINE, going up by more than 20 pounds each the bigger back is more necessary to move the rock consistently..

We have had plenty of the small back trails since they left and frankly none have worked out IMO..

Most teams are going with a two back system. A smaller quick break away guy and a short yardage grinder kind of guy ala, Dunn and Alstott, C. Johnson and Lenwhale, etc... etc...
We.ve already got half of that tandem in Hillis.

underrated29
01-20-2009, 02:47 PM
no- for rashard a big knock on him is he isnt as fast as he should be /thinks he is. And that was what was holding him back from being an elite nfl talent. He still going in 2-3, but when i looked at some of his highlights on youtube i was not really all that impressed with his running.

So the question is from his supposed good day at senior practice is he going to raise his stock and really surprise some people as one of the better backs coming out? or just be an upside guy at 2-3?

WARHORSE
01-20-2009, 02:47 PM

While I agree that this pick is in a funky position for us to choose what we need, I dont agree with a trade for a 2nd this year and a first next year.

A number 12 pick in the first round is worth more than that when trading into next year.

Probably a trade down to someone who really wants a LBer ahead of some of the other teams picking behind us.

I think Philadelphia is a prime candidate to trade with us.

Their two first rounders for ours. Who do they target?

They need a WR, OTs, a TE and LBs.

The trade chart shows up our pick at 1200 and their two picks at 1420, so they may try to finagle another late pick out of us.

Andre Smith, Michael Oher, Jason Smith, Jeremy Maclin, Mauluga or a fallen other would be highly valued to them.

Their Oline is falling apart as we speak.

If we HAD to pick at 12, Id hope Curry were there.

If not, the BAV, and that includes fallen top two QBs if that happens. We need a backup to Cutler (forget Ramsey) and someone who wanted Bradford or Sanchez will pony up picks. It will take a poker face, but we will get what we want.

Dont think that isnt a possibility either, (QBs falling) it is.

If we did get their picks, Id use them both for defensive players or trade one back again to get safety, LBer or RBs in round two and three. Two trades down would garner a first, two or three seconds and two thirds.

The first pick being Dline, safeties, backers as well as a RB, then Dline prospects the rest of the way.

lex
01-20-2009, 02:51 PM
Id take Wells. I think his vision and quick feet enable him to see openings that many dont. His feet and vision allow him to hit an opening with a head of steam. He is also as strong as anyone in the draft and has an incredible stiff arm. Think of Hillis with more big play potential. Id take him in a heart beat over the other guys. And if we're not committing to the running game this year, Id prefer to go heavy on defense except for maybe a center.

WARHORSE
01-20-2009, 03:44 PM
Id take Wells. I think his vision and quick feet enable him to see openings that many dont. His feet and vision allow him to hit an opening with a head of steam. He is also as strong as anyone in the draft and has an incredible stiff arm. Think of Hillis with more big play potential. Id take him in a heart beat over the other guys. And if we're not committing to the running game this year, Id prefer to go heavy on defense except for maybe a center.

The only question coming about Wells in my mind is how good his hands are coming out of the backfield, as well as pass protection.

The hands will be revealed at the combine, but pp will be another story.

Wells wont be coming to Denver in this new passing system if he cant catch the ball and pass protect.

lex
01-20-2009, 03:53 PM
The only question coming about Wells in my mind is how good his hands are coming out of the backfield, as well as pass protection.

The hands will be revealed at the combine, but pp will be another story.

Wells wont be coming to Denver in this new passing system if he cant catch the ball and pass protect.

Perhaps thats true. But the offense is pass-centric as it is. Maybe theyll be looking for a guy to tote the rock primarily. I agree on the pass blocking though but I dont think that would pevent a team from taking a RB. Most RBs adjust to this.

CoachChaz
01-20-2009, 03:54 PM
Pass blocking can be taught.

broncohead
01-20-2009, 07:03 PM
I believe what McD has done as far as getting the D coaches needed to make that side of the ball successful, we will go heavy defense.

broncohead
01-20-2009, 07:09 PM
Pass blocking can be taught.

Yes it can. The balls to actually step in the way of a untouched LB off the edge is another story.

dogfish
01-20-2009, 07:13 PM

We have had plenty of the small back trails since they left and frankly none have consistently worked out IMO..

did you happen to see what chris johnson did for the titans this year? or steve slaton in houston?

:confused:

Most teams are going with a two back system. A smaller quick break away guy and a short yardage grinder kind of guy ala, Dunn and Alstott, C. Johnson and Lenwhale, etc... etc...

QFT

atwater27
01-20-2009, 07:20 PM
Plain and simple, picking a runner in the 1st this year = disaster.

lex
01-20-2009, 07:21 PM
did you happen to see what chris johnson did for the titans this year? or steve slaton in houston?

QFT

Yeah, and wasnt Portis more around 205 when in Denver?

Lonestar
01-20-2009, 07:22 PM

QFT

guess I was not paying attention to those two..

I'd still rather have a 220+ guy back there pounding it out they tend to hold up better. less nit picky injuries.. and personally I think the "Speed" that mickey has been trying to get since poorti$$$ slithered away is vastly over rated..

I remember all the "take it to the house every time he touches the ball" BS posts, about tater and all that followed him. then ask all those folks how many times he did that in his career..from more than 30 yards I'd bet you can count them on one hand..

broncos4life88
01-20-2009, 07:40 PM

Then the great addition to that would be that Seymour on underrated29's sig. Those moves were great, and for being such a small guy he seems pretty tough...especially with that stiff arm out of bounds. ;)

Requiem / The Dagda
01-20-2009, 07:43 PM
I'd prefer a tough inside runner like Jennings in the third round if available, but getting a guy like James Davis around that time wouldn't be bad either. Weight isn't a good indicator of how strong someone is while running the ball or how effective they can be. You guys now see why I was stroking Chris Johnson all last year. Wow, that kid is good.

Requiem / The Dagda
01-20-2009, 07:44 PM
And if you want my honest opinion, patience and vision is probably the abilities we should be concerned about when evaluating running backs in the ZBS. Along with their first cut and go. Size? It can matter, but over intangibles and other stuff? Come on now.

roomemp
01-20-2009, 08:21 PM

Did you happen to see how bad our defense was this year?

dogfish
01-20-2009, 08:40 PM

Did you happen to see how bad our defense was this year?

yea-- what possible relevance does that have to a discussion about the size of various running backs:questionmark:

:noidea:

G_Money
01-20-2009, 08:47 PM
Donald Brown squats 600 pounds and can run all day. He breaks tackles and carries guys like a much bigger man.

220 is not some magical number. I like bigger backs as much as the next guy, but excluding MOST of the extremely talented runners in the class doesn't seem like a good way to find the right back.

Besides, we already have a 240+ pound bruiser. I don't mind adding another one, but what I want is a runner with vision, who can cut and head upfield for positive yardage on a moment's notice, who can break arm-tackles and who can hold on to the ball.

I don't care if he's Maurice Jones-Drew or Michael Turner, I just want a guy who can do those things.

~G

Requiem / The Dagda
01-20-2009, 08:48 PM
What can Brown do for you? (Denver)

Lock it up, ~G.

underrated29
01-20-2009, 09:02 PM
Then the great addition to that would be that Seymour on underrated29's sig. Those moves were great, and for being such a small guy he seems pretty tough...especially with that stiff arm out of bounds. ;)

Hell yeah- now we are getting some rep for the man. And yes that stiff arm is crazy...ROOAWWRRR GET OFF ME! Slams him down. That was sexy.

And dream- if you remember i had us taking chris johnson with our 2nd rd pick last year in my mock....Didnt he end up going in the first though?

NameUsedBefore
01-20-2009, 09:06 PM
With all the defensive problems I think drafting any running back on the first day would be a mistake.

Requiem / The Dagda
01-20-2009, 09:08 PM
Well, you better rethink that NUB.

NameUsedBefore
01-20-2009, 09:13 PM
Well, you better rethink that NUB.

We can plug anyone into that backfield and get results. You can't do the same with our safeties, linebackers, defensive backs, defensive lineman, etc.

I'm actually in the "draft a first day back" crowd now, namely because I'm tired of the rotations at the position, but I don't think this is at all the year to do it. Whenever we get that running back he will be good from the get go that position is so easy to transition from the college game. Not so for all those defensive positions I just laid out, D-line especially. We need to get those roles filled out as quickly as we can and then get that stud RB who can come in immediately and bang out 1,500 yards.

That's how I see it... Long term approach. Build that defense up now, then when you got a team ready for the Superbowl you pick up the next big thing at running back and run with him, even if he is a rookie (a la Jamal Lewis, for instance).

Requiem / The Dagda
01-20-2009, 09:34 PM
Yeah, considering the first day is um, two rounds -- I guess it doesn't really matter. I'd like to add a back somewhere between rounds two and four -- as long as the quality and value presents itself. I'm confident it will.

SmilinAssasSin27
01-20-2009, 11:08 PM
coughmccoycough

lex
01-20-2009, 11:34 PM
We can plug anyone into that backfield and get results. You can't do the same with our safeties, linebackers, defensive backs, defensive lineman, etc.

I'm actually in the "draft a first day back" crowd now, namely because I'm tired of the rotations at the position, but I don't think this is at all the year to do it. Whenever we get that running back he will be good from the get go that position is so easy to transition from the college game. Not so for all those defensive positions I just laid out, D-line especially. We need to get those roles filled out as quickly as we can and then get that stud RB who can come in immediately and bang out 1,500 yards.

That's how I see it... Long term approach. Build that defense up now, then when you got a team ready for the Superbowl you pick up the next big thing at running back and run with him, even if he is a rookie (a la Jamal Lewis, for instance).

Perhaps. But the better the RB, the better the results. And a dominant running game would make the offense great and it would also help the defense. Taking a RB as high as 12 is easily justifiable.

...not to mention, this is the same sh*t people have been shovelling since trading Portis.

Lonestar
01-20-2009, 11:35 PM

the key here is WE have no idea what Mc Kid is looking to do on O.. I think the RUN first mentality is gone..

NE running game:
Sammy Morris 727
Faulk 507
maroney 835
morris 384
Faulk 265
Dillon 812
maroney 745

If they use this concept I think a stud RB is the last thing on his wish list..

Remember folks their is a new sheriff in town with a completely new set of rules.. What used to be message board fodder is now probably MOOT..

lex
01-20-2009, 11:38 PM
the key here is WE have no idea what Mc Kid is looking to do on O.. I think the RUN first mentality is gone..

NE running game:
Sammy Morris 727
Faulk 507
maroney 835
morris 384
Faulk 265
Dillon 812
maroney 745

If they use this concept I think a stud RB is the last thing on his wish list..

Remember folks their is a new sheriff in town with a completely new set of rules.. What used to be message board fodder is now probably MOOT..

Indeed. Its time to brace yourselves for a McMickey Mouse offense. Hopefully not though.

NameUsedBefore
01-20-2009, 11:39 PM
Perhaps. But the better the RB, the better the results. And a dominant running game would make the offense great and it would also help the defense. Taking a RB as high as 12 is easily justifiable.

...not to mention, this is the same sh*t people have been shovelling since trading Portis.

I'm saying take a running-back high, just not this year. You can build on a good running back instantly, but it takes awhile to develop defensive players, particularly where we need them (d-line). We're not going to the Superbowl next year just because we have a better running-back if our defense is still ... you know what.

Requiem / The Dagda
01-20-2009, 11:45 PM
The value in this draft for running backs is going to be in the second to third round area, and a run will likely occur. There will be backs in next years draft, but there aren't many times where you see the names of prospects you do who will be in that second round area or so. . . I don't think we'll go for a back that high, maybe -- but lets put it this way.

The Front 7 needs to be addressed first on defense, but if LeSean McCoy is there at your #2 pick and the next Front 7 player you have listed is about five to ten names down the list, what is worth more? Honestly. Gotta play it like that.

The best thing for us is that the value at positions we need is all over the board. All over it. UGH UGH UGH.

lex
01-20-2009, 11:51 PM
The value in this draft for running backs is going to be in the second to third round area, and a run will likely occur. There will be backs in next years draft, but there aren't many times where you see the names of prospects you do who will be in that second round area or so. . . I don't think we'll go for a back that high, maybe -- but lets put it this way.

The Front 7 needs to be addressed first on defense, but if LeSean McCoy is there at your #2 pick and the next Front 7 player you have listed is about five to ten names down the list, what is worth more? Honestly. Gotta play it like that.

The best thing for us is that the value at positions we need is all over the board. All over it. UGH UGH UGH.

You know Im not averse to addressing the Dline. But at the same time, Wells size/strength/speed/vision/feet make him a value pick at 12. You and I both know that a lot of places have (or have had) Wells slotted as a top 10 player.

Slick
01-20-2009, 11:55 PM
If I get on the James Davis bangwagon as bad as I was on the Owen Schmitt train last year, not only was I disappointed, I was wrong. Way wrong. I'll leave it up to you guys and dole out high 5's and stuff.

lex
01-20-2009, 11:56 PM
I'm saying take a running-back high, just not this year. You can build on a good running back instantly, but it takes awhile to develop defensive players, particularly where we need them (d-line). We're not going to the Superbowl next year just because we have a better running-back if our defense is still ... you know what.

I think people will be surprised at how bad Slowik actually was. Plus the other position coaches. That is one thing Im definitely on board with regarding the new regime. Im definitely glad to see Denver bringing in some position coaches whose qualifications are driven by results. Im not averse to addressing the Dline but at the same time, if a RB like Wells is there at 12, its not a bad pick at all...and one that could easily be justified.

Lonestar
01-21-2009, 12:00 AM
I think people will be surprised at how bad Slowik actually was. Plus the other position coaches. That is one thing Im definitely on board with regarding the new regime. Im definitely glad to see Denver bringing in some position coaches whose qualifications are driven by results. Im not averse to addressing the Dline but at the same time, if a RB like Wells is there at 12, its not a bad pick at all...and one that could easily be justified.

and not how much butt they can kiss or coffee they can carry.. I think the old Ole mikey boy club is gone for good..

Results results results..

lex
01-21-2009, 12:06 AM
and not how much butt they can kiss or coffee they can carry.. I think the old Ole mikey boy club is gone for good..

Results results results..

Quite honestly. I think the quality position coaches, is kind of revealing why Shanahan is no longer here...and that Slowik was the last straw. I think McDaniels is probably picking guys to be coaches and coordinators but I think the depth of quality we have seen makes you wonder if Pat is reaching out to guys. Pat has a great reputation as one to work for and then you have a 32 year old coach. I just question whether or not McDaniels has the sway to put this kind of staff together without Bowlens help. I think its pretty clear that one of Bowlens grievances was a disdain for the nothing guys Shanahan kept on staff.

And seeing how Bowlen insisted on keeping the Goodmans, I kind of wonder if Bowlen had a voice in how the situation with Sundquist unfolded.

Requiem / The Dagda
01-21-2009, 12:10 AM
You know Im not averse to addressing the Dline. But at the same time, Wells size/strength/speed/vision/feet make him a value pick at 12. You and I both know that a lot of places have (or have had) Wells slotted as a top 10 player.

Yep, I think Wells is a Top 5 talent and would not cry a tear if we drafted him there, but I guess it would all depend on the preference McDaniels will put on the running game.

Obviously they wanted a guy like Maroney (but did they draft him before he was OC) to help pound the rock, but they didn't have the most talented of guys either. But yes, I think we need a talented back in this scheme. I'm just not so sure Wells would be more worth it at #12 say as opposed to a McCoy or Brown in Round #2.

I guess what I'm saying is -- would you rather a Raji and Tier #2 RB (B+ prospect or something) or Beanie Wells and B+ prospect on the defensive side of the ball.

I dunno, I just think there are more appealing options than Wells and ______. Not to say that Wells doesn't rock shit cause he does, but I'm beginning to really sour on RB at #12, but I mean -- I'll be thrilled if Wells was a Bronco.

Requiem / The Dagda
01-21-2009, 12:11 AM
I wonder if that dude we hired from Carolina will be like, "Yo, you saw what we did with Williams and Stewart, get someone like them." Maybe. Maybe this guy is a loser and his opinion didn't matter, but when he hired I thought about those two dancing on the sidelines and was hoping, "Hey maybe someday we'll have backs worth a damn who can dance like that too, because seeing our linebackers celebrate after putting on their cleats makes me wanna puke."

MM.

lex
01-21-2009, 12:14 AM
Yep, I think Wells is a Top 5 talent and would not cry a tear if we drafted him there, but I guess it would all depend on the preference McDaniels will put on the running game.

Obviously they wanted a guy like Maroney (but did they draft him before he was OC) to help pound the rock, but they didn't have the most talented of guys either. But yes, I think we need a talented back in this scheme. I'm just not so sure Wells would be more worth it at #12 say as opposed to a McCoy or Brown in Round #2.

I guess what I'm saying is -- would you rather a Raji and Tier #2 RB (B+ prospect or something) or Beanie Wells and B+ prospect on the defensive side of the ball.

I dunno, I just think there are more appealing options than Wells and ______. Not to say that Wells doesn't rock shit cause he does, but I'm beginning to really sour on RB at #12, but I mean -- I'll be thrilled if Wells was a Bronco.

I think theres a huge drop off between Wells and Brown. If we're going to address the defense in Rd 1, rather than take some of the 2nd round guys, Id rather wait a year because then youre looking at RBs like DeMarco Murray, C.J. Spiller, and Jahvid Best. Id rather have one of those guys than whats in the 2nd this year. But to be honest with you, I think the utility factor gives you an overall better value if you go with the RB. If we get a 9.0 DT, to this point we have no reason to think they will play much above 9.0. But with RBs, there is factor that amplifies the difference in skill with RBs in such a way that the better the RB, the better the overall value and the gap betwee RBs is actually wider. For example, lets arbitrarily say the utility factor for RBs in the Denver offense is .1. That would mean that if Wells is a 9.0, his overall value is a 9.9 with the utility factor of 1.1. Lets say the RBs in the second are an 8.0. Their overall value would be an 8.8. The gap between Wells and the 2nd tier RBs goes from 1.0 to 1.1 because of the utility that exists with playing RB in Denver. And when you look at it a 9.9 RB with an 8.0 (2nd Rd) DT is 17.8. And in this case, since Wells is a top 5 guy, where Raji is a mid 1st guy, his value is actually higher than Rajis.

Requiem / The Dagda
01-21-2009, 12:18 AM
You make a good point. I forget about all those studs coming out. Too much stuff to think about. 8 hours of class, draft stuff, girls, food. I can't make it in life.

NameUsedBefore
01-21-2009, 12:27 AM
You make a good point. I forget about all those studs coming out. Too much stuff to think about. 8 hours of class, draft stuff, girls, food. I can't make it in life.

Draino will answer your problems.

Slick
01-21-2009, 12:38 AM
Draino will answer your problems.

Dream uses that on his cereal.

PatricktheDookie
01-21-2009, 12:58 AM
Two words for you guys:

Tyrell Fenroy

Shazam!
01-21-2009, 01:09 AM
I see Denver taking defensive stock with their earlier picks, and grabbing a RB or two in the later rounds. It isn't a priority compared to nearly every other position on defense.

fcspikeit
01-21-2009, 01:50 AM

I would like to see Lichtenstiger (SP?) get a shot at center. It will be interesting to keep an eye on him in preseason play...

broncos4life88
01-21-2009, 10:14 PM

Trading Portis IMO was prolly the stupidest thing we could've done. I mean Champ is great and all but I just still don't think we have gotten our money's worth out of him. Pro-Bowl or not he wasn't worth Clinton Portis.

Portis was my fave. :D

Dean
01-22-2009, 11:42 PM
IMHO taking a RB early in the draft would be a wasted pick. Not because we already have great backs but because I don't see many running plays called. Denver in 2007 ran the ball 501 times. This year it dropped to 469 and many though it was due to not having a primiere running back. I think it was because we were shifting to the New England Patriots flying circus offense.

Now look at the Patriots offense which was called by McKid and I think that you will see what I mean. This year there were only 415 running plays called and this was a team with an inexperienced QB who could have used some balance in the play calls to take pressure off of him. In 2007 with Brady as QB, the Patriots ran the ball 360 times. Does anyone here think we are going to get substantial use out of a running back next season? I don't.

If we don't call the running back's number more than 360 times (this included QB scrambles, split end reverses, etc) in a 16 game season we would not be getting value for a high pick.

SmilinAssasSin27
01-22-2009, 11:47 PM
Every year there are stud RBs coming out next year. Eventually we may wanna think about taking one. Last year was a nice class, but we had bigger holes and thee are some studs coming out in 2009. Well 2009 is here and our RB situation is actually worse off. I don't care who is coming out in 2010, I want a RB now.

Lonestar
01-22-2009, 11:48 PM
IMHO taking a RB early in the draft would be a wasted pick. Not because we already have great backs but because I don't see many running plays called. Denver in 2007 ran the ball 501 times. This year it dropped to 469 and many though it was due to not having a primiere running back. I think it was because we were shifting to the New England Patriots flying circus offense.

Now look at the Patriots offense which was called by McKid and I think that you will see what I mean. This year there were only 415 running plays called and this was a team with an inexperienced QB who could have used some balance in the play calls to take pressure off of him. In 2007 with Brady as QB, the Patriots ran the ball 360 times. Does anyone here think we are going to get substantial use out of a running back next season? I don't.

If we don't call the running back's number more than 360 times (this included QB scrambles, split end reverses, etc) in a 16 game season we would not be getting value for a high pick.

I have been preaching this since Mc Kid was brought in.. the stud running back of yesteryear is toast IMO..

Their top RB back over the past 3 years had 875 yards most of the time it was more like 700

I do not think Running Back University is in session any more..

Dean
01-22-2009, 11:56 PM
It looks to me like money for nothing. . . and I could live with that if it weren't for the huge vacuum of talent on the defensive side of the ball.:tsk:

Watching a high draft running back pass protect two thirds of the offensive plays screams over qualified.

lex
01-22-2009, 11:59 PM

Thanks again for reminding me why I hate the McDaniels hire.

Lonestar
01-23-2009, 12:07 AM
Thanks again for reminding me why I hate the McDaniels hire.

why because he gives us a decent chance at winning?

the running game is not the end all nice to have and we will run the ball but not while we have Jay the gunslinger on the pay roll.

Did it never strike you that we have a virtual receiving dynasty here now with a QB that can deliver the ball.. did you think even under mikey that we would be run first?

Think about that we only have one Ball to play with each 45 seconds..

we will have 4000 plus yards receiving each year and enough runs to keep the defense honest.. and finally a great consistent defense to take the ball away for Jay to play with..

I ecstatic we got someone new and vibrant..

lex
01-23-2009, 12:09 AM
why because he gives us a decent chance at winning?

the running game is not the end all nice to have and we will run the ball but not while we have Jay the gunslinger on the pay roll.

Did it never strike you that we have a virtual receiving dynasty here now with a QB that can deliver the ball.. did you think even under mikey that we would be run first?

Think about that we only have one Ball to play with each 45 seconds..

we will have 4000 plus yards receiving each year and enough runs to keep the defense honest.. and finally a great consistent defense to take the ball away for Jay to play with..

I ecstatic we got someone new and vibrant..

Bleh.

Lonestar
01-23-2009, 12:12 AM
Bleh.

what is more boring 4.3 yards per play or 8.9..

lex
01-23-2009, 12:16 AM
what is more boring 4.3 yards per play or 8.9..

Ive already elaborated on why McDaniels offensive approach is flawed. I just really hope he doesnt try that McMickey Mouse nonsense here.

Lonestar
01-23-2009, 12:18 AM
Ive already elaborated on why McDaniels offensive approach is flawed. I just really hope he doesnt try that McMickey Mouse nonsense here.

I'm just glad the Mcmikey Mouse crap will be gone..

hopefully no more stale press conferences.. with the same words from the past 5 years..

my hat is off to Pat :salute:

lex
01-23-2009, 12:34 AM
I'm just glad the Mcmikey Mouse crap will be gone..

hopefully no more stale press conferences.. with the same words from the past 5 years..

my hat is off to Pat :salute:

Stale press conferences...LOL

Lonestar
01-23-2009, 12:43 AM
Stale press conferences...LOL

his last 3-4 were almost verbatim.. most of the old ones have been removed from the the archives.. but I checked them out last year after something he said sounded really familiar..

lex
01-23-2009, 01:02 AM
his last 3-4 were almost verbatim.. most of the old ones have been removed from the the archives.. but I checked them out last year after something he said sounded really familiar..

Wow.

Dean
01-24-2009, 12:06 AM
How did a thread entitled running back measureables get here?

:focus: ;)

lex
01-24-2009, 12:22 AM
How did a thread entitled running back measureables get here?

:focus: ;)

Have you tried reading the thread?