PDA

View Full Version : Broncos 2009 Coaching Staff

Tned
01-20-2009, 07:56 AM
It was suggested that we have a stickied thread with the new coaches listed. Post any confirmed coach hirings in this thread and a mod or I will update this post:

Head Coach: Josh McDaniels

OC/QB: Mike McCoy
O-Line: Rick Dennison
RB: Bobby Turner
WR: Adam Gase
TE: Clancy Barone

DC: Mike Nolan
D-Line: Wayne Nunnely
LB: Don Martindale
Secondary: Ed Donatel

Coaching assistant: Ben McDaniels
Coaching assistant: Jay Rodgers

Special Teams: Mike Priefer

Strength and Conditioning - Rich Tuten

Zweems56
01-20-2009, 08:05 AM
It was suggested that we have a stickied thread with the new coaches listed. Post any confirmed coach hirings in this thread and a mod or I will update this post:

Head Coach: Josh McDaniels

OC: Mike McCoy
QB:
O-Line: Rick Dennison
RB: Bobby Turner
WR: Adam Gase

DC: Mike Nolan
D-Line:
LB:
Secondary: Ed Donatell (Reported to be close)

Special Teams:

Strength and Conditioning - Rich Tuten

Hopefully we can add another to that today so I have something to talk about. Today is going to be a very slow day in the life of a NJ elementary school IT

TXBRONC
01-20-2009, 08:13 AM
I sure hope that McDaniels is able to finish up hiring the rest of his staff because I'm anxious to see how everything shakes out with player personnel.

Grover
01-20-2009, 05:46 PM
http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_11500402

This is a great move!

Magnificent Seven
01-20-2009, 05:48 PM

This is a great move!

If the Broncos are going to learn how to play the 3-4 defense, they better get some coaches who can teach it.

Wayne Nunnely can not only coach the 3-4, he guided the vaunted defensive line of the rival San Diego Chargers for the past 12 years.

In what has to be considered an AFC West coaching coup, the Broncos signed Nunnely to a two-year contract Tuesday to become their new defensive line coach.

"It's a change that I felt I needed to do at this stage of my career," said Nunnely, 56. "I've had a great 12 years here with the Chargers through three or four different head coaches and a number of coordinators and I just felt like I needed a new challenge, a new environment."

After coaching such natural 3-4 linemen as noseguard Jamal Williams, tackle Luis Castillo and end Igor Olshansky with the Chargers in recent years, Nunnely's challenge with the Broncos will be to both find new D-line personal, and teach alternate techniques to existing players who are accustomed to playing in the 4-3 defense.

JONtheBRONCO
01-20-2009, 05:51 PM
Rotoworld:

This is a strong indication that Denver will employ a mostly 3-4 defense under new coordinator Mike Nolan. Nunnely had been San Diego's line coach for the past 12 seasons, teaching a strict 3-4. The Broncos will need some bigger ends for the scheme. Elvis Dumervil (5'11/260) isn't going to cut it.

Source: Rocky Mountain News

Watchthemiddle
01-20-2009, 05:54 PM
WOW.....it doesn't look like this new administration is messing around.

This is a great hire.

:elefant:

turftoad
01-20-2009, 05:55 PM
Sounds good to me.

Hobe
01-20-2009, 06:21 PM
Isn't Mike Priefer Special teams coach?

D1g1tal j1m
01-20-2009, 06:23 PM
Very good hire. This off-season has been fun to watch unfold and this is just the coaches.

D1g1tal j1m
01-20-2009, 06:24 PM
D-Line: Wayne Nunnely

G_Money
01-20-2009, 06:25 PM
And THAT'S what I wanted to see - commitment to getting great teachers to help fix our scheme and talent issues. :salute:

Hurting a division rival at the same time makes it even sweeter.

~G

Magnificent Seven
01-20-2009, 06:26 PM
They should hire Bill Romanowski for LB coach.

G_Money
01-20-2009, 06:32 PM
BTW, teaching is Nunnelly's job. Here's an example:

http://cfx.signonsandiego.com/sports/chargers/cfx/2007/08/

Also noteworthy was the 'tag-team' coaching of the defensive linemen by Ted Cottrell and Wayne Nunnelly. Cottrell, who has long coached the 3-4, could be heard explaining to a player how he must react to certain movements or adjustments by the offense, basically giving instruction in the schematics of the situation. Nunnelly would then instruct the player in the technique necessary to do the job correctly. The process unfolded something like this:

Cottrell: "When the tight end moves closer to the right tackle THIS way, you need to position yourself directly opposite his outside shoulder, or they'll have a running lane too big for you to fill, and you're vulnerable to being hit by the pulling guard."

Nunnelly: "In order to neutralize the tight end and keep him from firing out, you'll need to spin inside-- like this , and get under his pads so that he loses his forward momentum. Then you can step into the lane the running back is going to be hitting before the guard gets there."

Nolan is better than Cottrell at scheme, but it's appeared to me for quite a while that we have been doing a piss-poor job of teaching our DL HOW to do what we ask them to do and giving them the necessary techniques to pull it off. Telling a man to get to the QB or stop the run or neutralize his blocker without giving him the proper technique to do those things just makes both of you look stupid, and we've been looking stupid a lot. :tsk:

Hopefully Nunnelly is a good start on fixing that deficiency.

~G

Tned
01-20-2009, 06:34 PM
Isn't Mike Priefer Special teams coach?

I know there was talk of it and I did a quick google this morning before leaving the house to try and find a confirmation of his hiring, but didn't find one.

Anyone know whether Priefer was actually hired?

broncohead
01-20-2009, 06:45 PM
Wow I don't think it would have been possible to get a better defensive coaching staff in one year. I believe we will see significant improvement on the defensive side of the ball next year. Even without the right personnel for a 3-4 and we are switching to a 3-4.

topscribe
01-20-2009, 06:46 PM
Wow I don't think it would have been possible to get a better defensive coaching staff in one year. I believe we will see significant improvement on the defensive side of the ball next year. Even without the right personnel for a 3-4 and we are switching to a 3-4.

Not necessarily. Nolan has historically molded the defense according to the
personnel, not the other way around. If the personnel more closely fits the
4-3, then that is what we will be watching, I'm sure.

-----

broncohead
01-20-2009, 06:51 PM
Not necessarily. Nolan has historically molded the defense according to the
personnel, not the other way around. If the personnel more closely fits the
4-3, then that is what we will be watching, I'm sure.

-----

IMO this makes it obvious. Nunnelly coached a DL in the 3-4 not to say he couldn't in a 4-3 but he is most likely more proficient in teaching/coaching 3-4 DL. Why would we go through the trouble in finding 3-4 coaches when we won't use the scheme?

Lonestar
01-20-2009, 06:55 PM

This is a great move!

about time.. now we will see if our guys are that bad or if it was the total lack of coaching..

UnderArmour
01-20-2009, 06:57 PM
http://www.rockymountainnews.com/news/2009/jan/20/broncos-fill-out-defensive-staff/?partner=RSS

MOBILE, Ala. — Broncos head coach Josh McDaniels, with the help of defensive coordinator Mike Nolan, has filled out his defensive staff in recent days.

Wayne Nunnely, whose contract was not renewed by the San Diego Chargers, will coach the defensive line, Raiders assistant Don Martindale will coach linebackers and longtime NFL assistant Ed Donatell the defensive backs.

McDaniels could not be reached for comment Tuesday.

Martindale had interviewed with Raiders brass earlier this month after his contract expired — the Raiders routinely sign their people to one-year deals that must renewed — but the team publicly denied a report he had interviewed to be head coach.

Some in the league said Martindale had hoped to be the Raiders’ defensive coordinator.

Donatell served as a defensive coordinator with the Packers and Falcons earlier in his coaching career but spent this past season as the University of Washington’s defensive coordinator.

He is also a former Broncos assistant, having worked on Mike Shanahan’s staff during the team’s two Super Bowl wins during a 1995-99 stint.

Donatell endured one of the more difficult seasons in college football history in 2008. The Huskies defense finished 116th out of 119 Division I teams, leading to the firing of head coach Tyrone Willingham and all his assistants, including Donatell.

Donatell has also coached the secondary for the New York Jets.

With the flurry of hires McDaniels has made on the offensive side of the ball — adding offensive coordinator Mike McCoy and wide receivers coach Adam Gase and retaining offensive line coach Rick Dennison and running backs coach Bobby Turner from Shanahan’s staff — the Broncos staff is almost entirely in place.
Nice.

underrated29
01-20-2009, 06:59 PM
who is making these hiring descisions? Is it MCD? or Pat? Who is it and how are they able to lure these great coaches away?

I understand that San diego hired the raiders DB coach to coach their line and so nunnely was the odd man out, but still.

We appear to be sneaking coaches away at great positions from all these teams. I just wonder who is our influence to get them to come here.

shank
01-20-2009, 07:04 PM
cool. your title is misleading, however.

SR
Defensive backs coach, not linebacker coach. Helps if you read the article prior to making the thread.

honz
You messed up your thread title which had me confused until I read the article. I don't really know anything about Martindale, but the fact that he was rumored to be a candidate to be Oakland's HC is promising.

lex
01-20-2009, 07:09 PM
What can Wink Martindale coach? He should have a spot as well.

Lonestar
01-20-2009, 07:11 PM
who is making these hiring descisions? Is it MCD? or Pat? Who is it and how are they able to lure these great coaches away?

I understand that San diego hired the raiders DB coach to coach their line and so nunnely was the odd man out, but still.

We appear to be sneaking coaches away at great positions from all these teams. I just wonder who is our influence to get them to come here.

I'd guess that Nolan has a big hand in what he wants and then it is run by MC Kid and Pat and the Defacto GM's

Cheez Whiz
01-20-2009, 07:14 PM
Just to clear it up.

Josh McDaniels - Head Coach
Mike McCoy - Offensive Coordinator
Mike Nolan - Defensivie Coordinator
Rick Dennison - Offensive Linemen Coach
Bobby Turner - Running Backs Coach
Adam Gase - Receivers Coach

Wayne Nunnely - Defensive Line Coach
Don Martindale - Linebackers Coach
Ed Donatell - Defensive Backs Coach

Mike Priefer - Special Teams

Am I missing anything?

UnderArmour
01-20-2009, 07:14 PM
Oh crap. What did I have title as?

Requiem / The Dagda
01-20-2009, 07:19 PM
Heck yes.

dogfish
01-20-2009, 07:20 PM
don't know much about him, but kirk morrison and thomas howrd have prospered under his tutelage, so that's encouraging. . . .

MOtorboat
01-20-2009, 07:26 PM
I know there was talk of it and I did a quick google this morning before leaving the house to try and find a confirmation of his hiring, but didn't find one.

Anyone know whether Priefer was actually hired?

RMN: http://www.rockymountainnews.com/news/2009/jan/18/broncos-name-mccoy-offensive-coordinator/

They all join defensive coordinator Mike Nolan, who was Mc- Daniels' first hire, on the new Broncos staff. Mike Priefer, formerly the Chiefs special teams coach, will be the Broncos' new special teams coach and former 49ers assistant Adam Gase will coach wide receivers.

Lonestar
01-20-2009, 07:28 PM
guess we can close this thread soon....

Tned
01-20-2009, 07:37 PM
RMN: http://www.rockymountainnews.com/news/2009/jan/18/broncos-name-mccoy-offensive-coordinator/

Looks like the Broncos officially announced him and four other hirings today.

topscribe
01-20-2009, 07:38 PM
IMO this makes it obvious. Nunnelly coached a DL in the 3-4 not to say he couldn't in a 4-3 but he is most likely more proficient in teaching/coaching 3-4 DL. Why would we go through the trouble in finding 3-4 coaches when we won't use the scheme?

I believe Bowlen, and then McDaniels after that, made it quite clear: they do
not want the coach who does this or that, but the best coach. Period.

Because Nunnelly coached a 3-4 with the Chargers does not mean he does
not know the 4-3. Any coach who does defense, or probably any coach at all,
knows the 4-3 because it is much older and much more universal historically
than the 3-4. If Nunnelly is competent at all as a coach--and I believe he is,
or he would not be here--he can coach the 4-3 as well as he can the 3-4.

-----

Lonestar
01-20-2009, 07:42 PM

-----

I'd guess unless they are unable to come up with a pretty good NT the odds are we will see alot of the 3-4 this year and next year watch out..

Lonestar
01-20-2009, 07:45 PM
Broncos head coach Josh McDaniels closed out his first week on the job with yet another hire for his inaugural staff.

Mike McCoy, who had been an offensive assistant with the Carolina Panthers, has accepted the job to be the Broncos offensive coordinator.

McCoy largely will be responsible for game preparation through the week, especially in the passing game, since McDaniels will call plays on game day.

McCoy, 36, has been with the Panthers for nine seasons and was the passing game coordinator for Carolina as well as being the team's quarterbacks coach.

His hiring also likely signals Jeremy Bates, the Broncos quarterbacks coach last season who also called plays on game day, is headed elsewhere unless he wants to accept a far smaller role on the offensive staff.

Bates has three years left on his contract, the most of any former Mike Shanahan assistant with the Broncos, but has received permission to speak to the Raiders and also is likely a candidate to join Jim Schwartz's staff in Detroit. Schwartz and Bates worked together with the Titans.

Rick Dennison and Bobby Turner, who were on Shanahan's staff since 1995, were informed this past week they would be retained to coach the offensive line and running backs, respectively.

They all join defensive coordinator Mike Nolan, who was Mc- Daniels' first hire, on the new Broncos staff. Mike Priefer, formerly the Chiefs special teams coach, will be the Broncos' new special teams coach and former 49ers assistant Adam Gase will coach wide receivers.

McDaniels is in the process of interviewing candidates to fill out the defensive staff. Veteran coach Dom Capers, who interviewed with Green Bay on Friday to be that team's defensive coordinator, still is expected to join the Broncos staff in some fashion.

Capers had a year left on his deal with the Patriots but will not be back with the team in 2009.

http://www.rockymountainnews.com/news/2009/jan/18/broncos-name-mccoy-offensive-coordinator/

broncohead
01-20-2009, 08:23 PM

-----

I already stated that he could probably coach both and as well as Nolan. My point is that they both probably prefer the 3-4 and are more proficient at it. I don't really care if it would be best to stick to the 4-3 for the short term success I care about the long term because this defense isn't going to be fixed over night.

G_Money
01-20-2009, 08:35 PM
Don Martindale as our LB coach? I don't think we did that...did we?

~G

DenBronx
01-20-2009, 08:40 PM
i'm pretty happy with the choices on coaches. i think nolan, nunnely and mcdaniels are going to be pretty persuasive in bringing in the right free agents. should be a very exciting offseason.

dogfish
01-20-2009, 08:42 PM
git 'er done, nunn!!

dogfish
01-20-2009, 08:59 PM
damn, everything would be golden if they'd just can tuten-- guess that'll have to wait 'til next year. . .

DenBronx
01-20-2009, 09:02 PM
http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d80e3ffa8&template=without-video-with-comments&confirm=true

The Denver Broncos on Tuesday announced the hiring of five assistant coaches, including Mike McCoy as offensive coordinator/quarterbacks coach and Mike Priefer as special teams coordinator. The club also announced the hiring of Ed Donatell as secondary coach, Adam Gase as wide receivers coach, and Wayne Nunnely as defensive line coach.

McCoy, 36, joins Denver as its offensive coordinator/quarterbacks coach after spending the previous nine seasons with the Carolina Panthers. McCoy started as an offensive assistant in 2000 before becoming the team's quarterbacks coach four weeks into the season. When Head Coach John Fox joined the team in 2002, McCoy served as the team's offensive assistant. He regained his role as quarterbacks coach from 2003-06 before becoming the team's passing-game coordinator for the last two seasons.

Priefer, 42, joins the Broncos as their special teams coordinator after spending three seasons as Kansas City's special teams coach. Priefer, the son of former NFL coach Chuck Priefer, entered the NFL coaching ranks as an assistant special teams coach with Jacksonville in 2002. He served as an assistant special teams coach for the New York Giants from 2003-05 before joining the Chiefs in 2006.

Donatell, 51, joins the Broncos for his second stint with the team, after coaching their secondary from 1995-99, including during the team's back-to-back Super Bowl wins in 1997-98. He brings 18 years of NFL coaching experience, including stops with the New York Jets (1990-94), Denver (1995-99), Green Bay (2000-03), Atlanta (2004-06) and the Jets (2007) before working as defensive coordinator at the University of Washington in 2008.

Gase comes to the Broncos as the team's wide receivers coach after spending last season as an offensive assistant in San Francisco. Prior to his tenure with the 49ers, Gase spent six seasons with the Detroit Lions (2002-07). He joined the Lions in a scouting/coaching capacity under Steve Mariucci in 2002. Gase served as the team's offensive quality control coach in 2006 under Head Coach Rod Marinelli before coaching the team's quarterbacks in 2007.

Nunnely, 56, comes to the Broncos with 14 seasons of NFL experience, including the last 12 as San Diego's defensive line coach. Before his stint with the Chargers, Nunnely opened his NFL coaching career as the defensive line coach with the New Orleans Saints (1995-96).

BigDaddyBronco
01-20-2009, 09:07 PM
Man, I love the idea of going to a 3-4. I haven't been this excited about the D since we got Champ.

NameUsedBefore
01-20-2009, 09:08 PM
Whatever became of Jimmy Spencer coaching the DBs... I remember he was a player/coach that one year.

Nunnely, 56, comes to the Broncos with 14 seasons of NFL experience, including the last 12 as San Diego's defensive line coach. Before his stint with the Chargers, Nunnely opened his NFL coaching career as the defensive line coach with the New Orleans Saints (1995-96).

^ Most important one, IMO.

SR
01-20-2009, 09:31 PM

You can't read, apparently. lol

TXBRONC
01-20-2009, 09:38 PM

-----

I totally agree with you McDaniels is looking for the best coaches period. I do honestly think that switching to a 3-4 is going largely depend on if they believe they can find suitable nose tackle via free agency and even more so the draft.

TXBRONC
01-20-2009, 09:43 PM
don't know much about him, but kirk morrison and thomas howrd have prospered under his tutelage, so that's encouraging. . . .

That's exactly what I was just thinking. :salute:

honz
01-20-2009, 09:48 PM
You said Donatell was going to be the LB coach...no biggie, just had me confused for a second.

Rick
01-20-2009, 09:53 PM
I too am really hoping for the 3-4.

I just really love what can be done with it, of course providing the right personal.

I don't know if the guys we have can do it or not,Doom and Moss at OLB, Thomas as a End, Woodyard/Barret as the safeties...but i would love to see if they can.

They have the physical tools but just don't know if they have the mental.

topscribe
01-20-2009, 10:22 PM
Man, I love the idea of going to a 3-4. I haven't been this excited about the D since we got Champ.

I too am really hoping for the 3-4.

I just really love what can be done with it, of course providing the right personal.

I don't know if the guys we have can do it or not,Doom and Moss at OLB, Thomas as a End, Woodyard/Barret as the safeties...but i would love to see if they can.

They have the physical tools but just don't know if they have the mental.

I watched Denver play the 3-4 for a decade or so in the '70s and '80s. Those were
the days of the "Orange Crush." They were one of the top two defenses in that
era.

The other belonged to the Pittsburgh Steelers: the Steel Curtain. That was a 4-3.

A huge controversy raged as to who had the better defense. Obviously then, the
scheme had little to do with it. The Broncos' personnel, with Rubin Carter and later
Greg Kragen as NGs and LBs composed of Randy Gradishar, Bob Swenson, Joe Rizzo,
and Tom Jackson, was more conducive toward the 3-4.

The Steelers on the other hand, with a DL composed of Joe Green, Dwight White,
L.C. Greenwood, and Steve Furness, and three imposing LBs in Jack Lambert, Jack
Ham, and Loren Toews, were more suited to the 4-3.

I will be happy with the 3-4 if the Broncos' personnel is more suited to it. I will
likewise be happy with the 4-3 if their personnel fits it more. The secret is not in
the formation; it is in execution. That is what I want to see the coaches teach
and the players play: execution. If that happens, they will have a tough defense.
If it doesn't, they won't. That is the bottom line.

-----

TXBRONC
01-20-2009, 10:51 PM
Whatever became of Jimmy Spencer coaching the DBs... I remember he was a player/coach that one year.

^ Most important one, IMO.

I would be interested to know the answer that question as well.

tomjonesrocks
01-20-2009, 11:00 PM
Am rather unexcited about this one--but it sounds OK I guess. Really just don't know a lot about the guy.

UnderArmour
01-20-2009, 11:02 PM
Am rather unexcited about this one--but it's OK. Really just don't know a lot about the guy...

Well look at the Raiders linebacker corp. They have nobody of note yet they manage to produce just fine, so he's a pretty solid coach.

Lonestar
01-20-2009, 11:06 PM
I watched Denver play the 3-4 for a decade or so in the '70s and '80s. Those were
the days of the "Orange Crush." They were one of the top two defenses in that
era.

The other belonged to the Pittsburgh Steelers: the Steel Curtain. That was a 4-3.

A huge controversy raged as to who had the better defense. Obviously then, the
scheme had little to do with it. The Broncos' personnel, with Rubin Carter and later
Greg Kragen as NGs and LBs composed of Randy Gradishar, Bob Swenson, Joe Rizzo,
and Tom Jackson, was more conducive toward the 3-4.

The Steelers on the other hand, with a DL composed of Joe Green, Dwight White,
L.C. Greenwood, and Steve Furness, and three imposing LBs in Jack Lambert, Jack
Ham, and Loren Toews, were more suited to the 4-3.

I will be happy with the 3-4 if the Broncos' personnel is more suited to it. I will
likewise be happy with the 4-3 if their personnel fits it more. The secret is not in
the formation; it is in execution. That is what I want to see the coaches teach
and the players play: execution. If that happens, they will have a tough defense.
If it doesn't, they won't. That is the bottom line.

-----

Top is correct if you have 4+ great DL guys like PITTS has almost always had back then , it is silly to run the 4-3 since mikey took over he has NEVER placed a priority in getting more than decent DLine types.. we might have one at a time but never more than two from Price on.. Not like PITT had for close to Two decades..

His game was ALWAYS fast LB's and that worked for a while but one at a time they went away.. till we finally lost Al Wilson to injuries.. that was the death Nell of this defense..

now we have one great LB and one great CB beyond that all scrubs or good players playing like scrubs after no direction the past 3-4 years...

G_Money
01-20-2009, 11:15 PM
He's actually a really good coach. My brother-in-law is gonna be pissed. He's a Raiders fan and Martindale was one of the only coaches they had that he really liked.

~G

G_Money
01-20-2009, 11:45 PM
Head Coach: Whiz kid who took a Tom Brady offense without WRs nearly all the way, set records and was an incredible catch away from a perfect season WITH WRs, and would have been a nightmare at 11-5 in the playoffs with a QB who hadn't started since HS.

OC/QB: Guy who somehow made Jake Delhomme a Pro Bowl QB and helped make the Carolina offense this year near unstoppable by anyone other than his own QB when he decided to throw 5 or 6 picks in a game.

O-Line: Guy who studied under perhaps the greatest OL coach of all time, and has helped put together the fine Broncos OL performances for years.

RB: The guy who can make Tatum Bell and Olandis Gary into 1000 yard backs and get 1500+ out of talented backs like clockwork.

WR: Associate of the Head Coach from Spartan Days under Saban and Nolan with the Niners, but also learned at the feet of Mike Martz, God Of Passing.

DC: Guy who built a very good defense from the scraps that were left him in NY and who maintained a great defense passed on to him in B-More while instructing a bunch of kids in how to play it.

D-Line: One of the best teachers of 3-4 technique in the league, has had great DL performances for years.

LB: Potential DC, LB corps lead league in tackles and interceptions every year, has taught defense and LBs for a couple of decades.

Secondary: Former DC whose defenses were always high in turnover and interception ratio, as I recall, and instantly turned around the Falcons D upon arrival, and also has ties to our SB teams (remember how I was saying I wish we'd get our DBs to play more like Crockett? Well here's the guy who got Crockett to play that way).

Special Teams: Guy who has had Pro-Bowler after Pro-Bowler and posted top marks across net and gross punting at multiple locations, as well as had returners and kickers and punters post career marks and win recognition.

I wanted to see what the Boy Genius was gonna put together.

On paper, I might have some guys I'd have preferred but I really can't say "boo" about any of the selections. They're all massively qualified and respected coaches, or up-and-comers with really good early results.

I'm impressed.

~G

Lonestar
01-20-2009, 11:47 PM
merged all the Coach's threads into one so the discussions are not concurrent in four different threads..

Lonestar
01-20-2009, 11:57 PM
Head Coach: Whiz kid who took a Tom Brady offense without WRs nearly all the way, set records and was an incredible catch away from a perfect season WITH WRs, and would have been a nightmare at 11-5 in the playoffs with a QB who hadn't started since HS.

OC/QB: Guy who put together a very balanced attack and made the Carolina offense near unstoppable by anyone other than his own QB when he decided to throw 5 or 6 picks in a game.

O-Line: Guy who studied under perhaps the greatest OL coach of all time, and has helped put together the fine Broncos OL performances for years.

RB: The guy who can make Tatum Bell and Olandis Gary into 1000 yard backs and get 1500+ out of talented backs like clockwork.

WR: Associate of the Head Coach from Spartan Days under Saban and Nolan with the Niners, but also learned at the feet of Mike Martz, God Of Passing.

DC: Guy who built a very good defense from the scraps that were left him in NY and who maintained a great defense passed on to him in B-More while instructing a bunch of kids in how to play it.

D-Line: One of the best teachers of 3-4 technique in the league, has had great DL performances for years.

LB: Potential DC, LB corps lead league in tackles and interceptions every year, has taught defense and LBs for a couple of decades.

Secondary: Former DC whose defenses were always high in turnover and interception ratio, as I recall, and instantly turned around the Falcons D upon arrival, and also has ties to our SB teams (remember how I was saying I wish we'd get our DBs to play more like Crockett? Well here's the guy who got Crockett to play that way).

Special Teams: Guy who has had Pro-Bowler after Pro-Bowler and posted top marks across net and gross punting at multiple locations, as well as had returners and kickers and punters post career marks and win recognition.

I wanted to see what the Boy Genius was gonna put together.

On paper, I might have some guys I'd have preferred but I really can't say "boo" about any of the selections. They're all massively qualified and respected coaches, or up-and-comers with really good early results.

I'm impressed.

~G

I guess my only concern is nunnley who had decent but not great DL until he got the great drafts of merriman, Olshansky the other Shawn..

1 12 Shawne Merriman OLB Maryland
1 28 Luis Castillo DE Northwestern

2 35 Igor Olshansky DE Oregon
3 65 Nate Kaeding K Iowa
3 66 Nick Hardwick C Purdue
4 98 Shaun Phillips LB Purdue

then there is 11 year pro Jamal Williams 6-2 348 drafted #2 in 1998

Lets hope we can find some great talent for him to work with..

Shazam!
01-21-2009, 01:18 AM
I am just thrilled Bowlen finally made the decision I was asking for the last few years. This is super exciting.

I know it isn't guaranteed to have success, but this kind of change is what Denver has sorely needed years after the stale, stagnant Shanahan regime.

McDaniels was my 2nd Choice but became my first. So far I cannot complain about any of the assistants he has chosen. On paper, the defensive staff alone is an upgrade.

Thank goodness we have the Draft to hold us over until preseason.

Lonestar
01-21-2009, 02:48 AM
I am just thrilled Bowlen finally made the decision I was asking for the last few years. This is super exciting.

I know it isn't guaranteed to have success, but this kind of change is what Denver has sorely needed years after the stale, stagnant Shanahan regime.

McDaniels was my 2nd Choice but became my first. So far I cannot complain about any of the assistants he has chosen. On paper, the defensive staff alone is an upgrade.

Thank goodness we have the Draft to hold us over until preseason.

that was certainly not hard to do............

broncofaninfla
01-21-2009, 09:52 AM
Wow, VERY happy with the coaching staff, now it's time to start concentrating on getting some new talent aboard on defense.

LOVE the Martindale signing. I honestly thought he was going to be the next head coach for the Raiders. My Raider buddy is PISSED!

LRtagger
01-21-2009, 10:06 AM
Is Tuten confirmed? I have read a couple articles that say Turner and Dennison are the only staff retained.

broncofaninfla
01-21-2009, 10:13 AM
Is Tuten confirmed? I have read a couple articles that say Turner and Dennison are the only staff retained.

Yup, here is the list as of today on the Broncos website:

Please click on orange names for complete bios.
Head Coach
Josh McDaniels (http://www.denverbroncos.com/page.php?id=357&contentID=9591) - Head Coach

Coaching Staff
Mike McCoy (http://www.denverbroncos.com/page.php?id=357&contentID=9607) - Offensive Coordinator/Quarterbacks
Mike Priefer (http://www.denverbroncos.com/page.php?id=357&contentID=9608) - Special Team Coordinator
Ed Donatell (http://www.denverbroncos.com/page.php?id=357&contentID=9609) - Secondary
Adam Gase (http://www.denverbroncos.com/page.php?id=357&contentID=9610) - Wide Receivers
Wayne Nunnely (http://www.denverbroncos.com/page.php?id=357&contentID=9611) - Defensive Line
Greg Saporta (http://www.denverbroncos.com/page.php?id=357&contentID=634) - Assistant Strength and Conditioning
Rich Tuten (http://www.denverbroncos.com/page.php?id=357&contentID=638) - Strength and Conditioning
Kristi Nichols - Assistant Coaches Secretary
Player Personnel
Jim Goodman (http://www.denverbroncos.com/page.php?id=357&contentID=641) - Vice President of Football Operations / Player Personnel
Jeff Goodman (http://www.denverbroncos.com/page.php?id=357&contentID=6186) - Assistant General Manager
Brian Xanders (http://www.denverbroncos.com/page.php?id=357&contentID=8687) - Assistant General Manager
Mike Bluem (http://www.denverbroncos.com/page.php?id=357&contentID=650)- Director of Football Administration
Eugene Armstrong (http://www.denverbroncos.com/page.php?id=357&contentID=7421) - College Scout
Bobby Beers (http://www.denverbroncos.com/page.php?id=357&contentID=4482) - College Scout
Scott DiStefano (http://www.denverbroncos.com/page.php?id=357&contentID=642) - College Scout
Tyler Goodman (http://www.denverbroncos.com/page.php?id=357&contentID=8838) - College Scout
Cal McCombs (http://www.denverbroncos.com/page.php?id=357&contentID=6187) - College Scout
Greg Miller (http://www.denverbroncos.com/page.php?id=357&contentID=646) - College Scout
Nick Schiralli (http://www.denverbroncos.com/page.php?id=357&contentID=8839) - College Scout
Cornell Green (http://www.denverbroncos.com/page.php?id=357&contentID=644) - Scouting Consultant
Chris Trulove (http://www.denverbroncos.com/page.php?id=357&contentID=649) -Coordinator of Pro Scouting
Dave Bratten (http://www.denverbroncos.com/page.php?id=357&contentID=657) - College Scouting Coordinator
Anthony Kelly (http://www.denverbroncos.com/page.php?id=357&contentID=7422) -Assistant Coordinator of Pro and College Scouting
Fred Fleming - Pro Scouting/ Director of Special Services
Harold Chatman - Player Development Director
Betsy Klein - Executive Director of Player & Organizational Development
Pam Papsdorf - Executive Assistant to Football Operations
Will Tuten - Player Personnel Assistant
Meghan Zobeck - Player Personnel Assistant

topscribe
01-21-2009, 11:18 AM
Curiously, Dennison is not yet listed there . . .

-----

LRtagger
01-21-2009, 11:25 AM
I dont see Turner either

CoachChaz
01-21-2009, 11:26 AM
Why does Rich Tuten still have a job with us?

LRtagger
01-21-2009, 11:37 AM
Looks like one of his relatives is a player personnel assistant also.

Tned
01-21-2009, 11:54 AM

I'm guessing that while there was a rash of injuries this year (some of them freak and clearly not conditioning related, others possibly related to conditioning), for years the Broncos have touted his strength program.

It might simply be a case of not throwing the baby out with the bath water. Address some things like pre-game (and practice) stretching rituals, possibly some flexibility programs (although I have seen these backfire on baseball teams) and work to improve the system to prevent the groin and hamstring injuries, but keep in place a general strength and conditioning program they think is working.

Lonestar
01-21-2009, 12:33 PM

why does will tuten have a job??

dogfish
01-21-2009, 02:35 PM

probably because mcdaniels hasn't had to deal with a year full of ridiculous numbers of groin injuries yet. . . .

honz
01-21-2009, 04:06 PM
Tuten has been with us when he had healthy teams as well...injuries happen.

LRtagger
01-21-2009, 04:46 PM
IMO it had more to do with Shanny's soft camp and practices. When your personnel goes from a lot of vets to a lot of rookies, you might need to make some changes in workouts, etc.

At the same time, Tuten should have been gone with the rest of the staff that got fired. Just because Tuten has been with us for a long time doesnt mean anything. Shanny had been successful for a long time as well, but he got the axe. We should have brought in someone new to work with all the kids.

Sure, injuries happen, but when you have as many guys miss games from groin injuries as we did, you have to start wondering why it is happening.

Denver Native (Carol)
01-21-2009, 07:37 PM
http://web1.denverbroncos.com/page.php?id=334&storyID=8799

Three More Join Staff

DenverBroncos.com

ENGLEWOOD, Colo. -- Head Coach Josh McDaniels made another step in assembling his coaching staff for the 2009 season. On Wednesday the Broncos officially announced the hiring of three more assistant coaches.

Don Martindale will join the team as linebackers coach, and Ben McDaniels and Jay Rodgers will be a part of the staff as coaching assistants.

Martindale is a 23-year coaching veteran with experience as a college defensive coordinator and a coach on a Division 1-AA National Championship team. He spent the past five years as linebackers coach with the Oakland Raiders.

In 2008, Oakland ranked 10th against the pass. In 2007, two linebackers were first and second on the team in interceptions. In 2006, Martindale coached a unit that helped Oakland finish first in the NFL in pass defense and No. 3 in total defense.

Ben McDaniels enters his first season coaching in the NFL after coaching quarterbacks in 2008 at Massillon Jackson High School in Massillon, Ohio.

Ben, younger brother to Broncos Head Coach Josh McDaniels, also served as a graduate assistant under Glen Mason at the University of Minnesota in 2004 and 2005. With the Gophers, McDaniels assisted in coaching wide receivers in 2004 before working with the team’s secondary in 2005.

Rodgers enters his first NFL season after spending nine seasons coaching at the collegiate level. He was Iowa State University’s wide receivers coach from 2007 to 2008 after spending two seasons as the quarterbacks coach at Stephen F. Austin University. In 2004, Rodgers tutored quarterbacks at Missouri State University. He was a graduate assistant for Head Coach Nick Saban at Louisiana State University (2001-02) after interning at Ohio State University.

Lonestar
01-21-2009, 08:08 PM
IMO it had more to do with Shanny's soft camp and practices. When your personnel goes from a lot of vets to a lot of rookies, you might need to make some changes in workouts, etc.

At the same time, Tuten should have been gone with the rest of the staff that got fired. Just because Tuten has been with us for a long time doesnt mean anything. Shanny had been successful for a long time as well, but he got the axe. We should have brought in someone new to work with all the kids.

Sure, injuries happen, but when you have as many guys miss games from groin injuries as we did, you have to start wondering why it is happening.

I'll bet unless the CS injuries stop this year tuten will be gone also and someone new will be brought in with fresh Ideas..

Lonestar
01-21-2009, 08:11 PM
http://web1.denverbroncos.com/page.php?id=334&storyID=8799

Three More Join Staff

DenverBroncos.com

ENGLEWOOD, Colo. -- Head Coach Josh McDaniels made another step in assembling his coaching staff for the 2009 season. On Wednesday the Broncos officially announced the hiring of three more assistant coaches.

Don Martindale will join the team as linebackers coach, and Ben McDaniels and Jay Rodgers will be a part of the staff as coaching assistants.

Martindale is a 23-year coaching veteran with experience as a college defensive coordinator and a coach on a Division 1-AA National Championship team. He spent the past five years as linebackers coach with the Oakland Raiders.

In 2008, Oakland ranked 10th against the pass. In 2007, two linebackers were first and second on the team in interceptions. In 2006, Martindale coached a unit that helped Oakland finish first in the NFL in pass defense and No. 3 in total defense.

Ben McDaniels enters his first season coaching in the NFL after coaching quarterbacks in 2008 at Massillon Jackson High School in Massillon, Ohio.

Ben, younger brother to Broncos Head Coach Josh McDaniels, also served as a graduate assistant under Glen Mason at the University of Minnesota in 2004 and 2005. With the Gophers, McDaniels assisted in coaching wide receivers in 2004 before working with the team’s secondary in 2005.

Rodgers enters his first NFL season after spending nine seasons coaching at the collegiate level. He was Iowa State University’s wide receivers coach from 2007 to 2008 after spending two seasons as the quarterbacks coach at Stephen F. Austin University. In 2004, Rodgers tutored quarterbacks at Missouri State University. He was a graduate assistant for Head Coach Nick Saban at Louisiana State University (2001-02) after interning at Ohio State University.

I hoping that he actually has skill and will not be placed in charge of something really important..

Nepotism really bothers ME..

broncophan
01-21-2009, 08:54 PM
I hoping that he actually has skill and will not be placed in charge of something really important..

Nepotism really bothers ME..

I hope so too.................for what it is worth......almost year after year......Massilon is a top high school football team here in Ohio....

Cheez Whiz
01-22-2009, 12:55 AM
Seriously, Josh?

I understand he's your brother and probably needed a job, but he was a HS QB coach, not college, not AFL, or CFL, but High School.

I hope he's cleaning toliets or a water boy for Jay Cutler

Simple Jaded
01-22-2009, 01:09 AM
I see Doogie hired his little brother Dewey.......Maybe their pet dog Petey can be the new mascot.......Championship.......

Shazam!
01-22-2009, 02:06 AM
I'd bet if Shanahan bought Kyle in here a few years back, people would've said it was ok.

broncofaninfla
01-22-2009, 10:21 AM
This is off of the Denver Broncos web site. Turner and Dennison are still not listed, not sure why.

Head Coach
Josh McDaniels (http://www.denverbroncos.com/page.php?id=357&contentID=9591) - Head Coach

Coaching StaffMike McCoy (http://www.denverbroncos.com/page.php?id=357&contentID=9607) - Offensive Coordinator/Quarterbacks
Mike Priefer (http://www.denverbroncos.com/page.php?id=357&contentID=9608) - Special Team Coordinator
Ed Donatell (http://www.denverbroncos.com/page.php?id=357&contentID=9609) - Secondary
Adam Gase (http://www.denverbroncos.com/page.php?id=357&contentID=9610) - Wide Receivers
Don Martindale (http://www.denverbroncos.com/page.php?id=357&contentID=9615) - Linebackers
Ben McDaniels (http://www.denverbroncos.com/page.php?id=357&contentID=9616) - Coaching Assistant
Wayne Nunnely (http://www.denverbroncos.com/page.php?id=357&contentID=9611) - Defensive Line
Jay Rodgers (http://www.denverbroncos.com/page.php?id=357&contentID=9617) - Coaching Assistant
Greg Saporta (http://www.denverbroncos.com/page.php?id=357&contentID=634) - Assistant Strength and Conditioning
Rich Tuten (http://www.denverbroncos.com/page.php?id=357&contentID=638) - Strength and Conditioning

broncofaninfla
01-27-2009, 02:52 PM
Looks like they have everybody listed now:

Head Coach

Coaching Staff
Mike McCoy (http://www.denverbroncos.com/page.php?id=357&contentID=9607) - Offensive Coordinator/Quarterbacks
Mike Nolan (http://www.denverbroncos.com/page.php?id=357&contentID=9625) - Defensive Coordinator
Clancy Barone (http://www.denverbroncos.com/page.php?id=357&contentID=9619) - Tight Ends
Rick Dennison (http://www.denverbroncos.com/page.php?id=357&contentID=628) - Offensive Line
Don Martindale (http://www.denverbroncos.com/page.php?id=357&contentID=9615) - Linebackers
Ben McDaniels (http://www.denverbroncos.com/page.php?id=357&contentID=9616) - Coaching Assistant
Jay Rodgers (http://www.denverbroncos.com/page.php?id=357&contentID=9617) - Coaching Assistant
Bobby Turner (http://www.denverbroncos.com/page.php?id=357&contentID=637) - Running Backs

JKcatch724
01-27-2009, 06:03 PM
All the coordinators are named Mike? That's kinda cool/weird.

JKcatch724
01-27-2009, 06:10 PM

topscribe
01-27-2009, 06:19 PM

In honor of the former head coach . . . :D

-----

jrelway
01-27-2009, 06:25 PM
Seriously, Josh?

I understand he's your brother and probably needed a job, but he was a HS QB coach, not college, not AFL, or CFL, but High School.

I hope he's cleaning toliets or a water boy for Jay Cutler

better not end up like marty and kurt shottenheimer. awful duo.

Ziggy
02-02-2009, 12:41 AM
I dug up some info on coach McD. Instead of starting a new thread, I figured that I'd just post it here, since some of it has already been mentioned in other places. Enjoy:

McDaniels was born in Barberon, Ohio and attended Canton McKinley High School in Canton, Ohio. He was a quarterback and kicker for McKinley. His father, Thom McDaniels, was a longtime head coach at McKinley High and is currently the head coach at Massillon Jackson High in Massillon, Ohio. Josh and his wife Laura have a son, Jack Thomas, and a daughter, Maddie.

McDaniels attended John Carroll University, where he played quarterback and wide receiver for the Blue Streaks from 1995-98. College coach Tony DeCarlo would often arrive early and find McDaniels already in his office, studying plays and looking at film with his teammate Nick Caserio (now New England Patriots Director of Player Personnel). “I’d have to kick them out because I used to have to get to work,” DeCarlo said. “But that’s how they both were. They’re both students of the game.”

McDaniels spent a season as Nick Saban’s graduate assistant at Michigan State. It was the only time his father used his influence to help land a job. A year later, though, McDaniels was out of coaching, selling plastics in Cleveland.

But the Patriots offered him a low-level position, breaking down film. Like Bill Belichick 20 years before, McDaniels consumed the position. He knew what it could lead to. “I don’t think I ever really thought about it being a reality as a young coach,” McDaniels said. “In college or high school, I know I was too small to play in the league. I was never one of those guys who dreamed about what may happen. My dad’s always told me to focus on the job I have, and the next one will take care of itself. That’s what I’ve done all my life.”

McDaniels started with the Patriots in 2001 as a personal assistant. His duties included evaluating college and free agent talent, and then were expanded to include film breakdown and scouting preparation for the defensive staff. In 2004 he was moved to quarterbacks coach, and was named offensive coordinator in 2006. At the time he took over as offensive coordinator, he was the youngest person to hold that title in the history of the NFL. McDaniels could’ve been a head coach last year. He was offensive coordinator on a 16-0 Patriots team. Instead, McDaniels chose not to interview at all. He was focusing on the job he had. Besides, he said, that’s not a decision he could make during a couple days on the Super Bowl bye week. “I’m better prepared now,” McDaniels said. “I went through things in the offseason that helped me.”

I don't know exactly what those "things" were, but I hope he is indeed ready.