PDA

View Full Version : Bates goes to USC

Ziggy
01-19-2009, 02:06 PM
By National Football Post
Posted January 19, 2009

Bates Heading To USC
The National Football Post has just been informed that former Denver Broncos offensive coordinator Jeremy Bates has accepted an offer to become an assistant coach at the University of Southern California.

Bates, a six year NFL veteran, has spent the last three years in Denver as the quarterbacks/wide receivers coach. Prior to joining the Broncos in 2006, Bates worked for the New York Jets and Tampa Bay Buccaneers.

Bye.

BigDaddyBronco
01-19-2009, 02:07 PM
USC is better job than the Raiders.

shank
01-19-2009, 02:08 PM
your mom goes to USC.

not sure how much of a diff this will make since mcd was going to be calling the plays anyway... better this than him getting fired, which would have caused some drama after jay's 'demand.'

LRtagger
01-19-2009, 02:08 PM
Good for him.

claymore
01-19-2009, 02:09 PM
your mom goes to USC.

not sure how much of a diff this will make since mcd was going to be calling the plays anyway... better this than him getting fired, which would have caused some drama after jay's 'demand.'

Zactly.

turftoad
01-19-2009, 02:10 PM
Wow, didn't see that comming.

Den21vsBal19
01-19-2009, 02:11 PM
USC is better job than the Raiders.
Picking dog crap off the streets is better than working for the Faiders ;)

Best of luck to him :salute:

UnderArmour
01-19-2009, 02:11 PM
Bates is truly a genius. He could have been the offensive coordinator in Oakland or Detroit but instead bailed to a good situation. Both jobs involve being a miracle worker, something Bates probably isn't sure he can be.

Medford Bronco
01-19-2009, 02:13 PM
I would think Cutler could handle his security
blanket being gone. Josh in the long run
will be better than Bates anyways one would
think?

we kept the imporant coach in Turner already though

CoachChaz
01-19-2009, 02:13 PM
Oh good...another 7 pages on Jeremy bates is looming

TXBRONC
01-19-2009, 03:36 PM
I wish him the best.

BroncoJoe
01-19-2009, 03:38 PM
Oh good...another 7 pages on Jeremy bates is looming

Personally, I don't get all the love for the dude.

Medford Bronco
01-19-2009, 03:42 PM
Personally, I don't get all the love for the dude.

because Jay said he was good, if Jay never said anything no one
would care.

honz
01-19-2009, 04:48 PM
Everyone was on Bates' nuts at the beginning of the season and now people are saying good riddance...I thought he did a pretty good job with our offense. Best of luck to the man.

BeefStew25
01-19-2009, 04:50 PM
The cool part I think is we still pay him for his contract, and he gets paid by USC. Offset money doesn't apply to college teams.

He is smart. Good for him.

And Jeremy, no running tater up the gut on third and short.

broncophan
01-19-2009, 07:06 PM
With this news........Cutler is the one we better worry about.........the last thing he needs is a new offense to learn......imo...

MOtorboat
01-19-2009, 07:07 PM
With this news........Cutler is the one we better worry about.........the last thing he needs is a new offense to learn......imo...

He was going to get a new offense, regardless...

broncophan
01-19-2009, 07:19 PM
He was going to get a new offense, regardless...

Yea........I know......but I still think that is not good news for a young qb with a losing record as a starter.....to have to learn a new offense......imo.

TXBRONC
01-19-2009, 07:29 PM
Yea........I know......but I still think that is not good news for a young qb with a losing record as a starter.....to have to learn a new offense......imo.

Jay is a smart guy, I think he'll pick it up pretty quickly.

MOtorboat
01-19-2009, 07:59 PM

Meh...hell, there are guys that have four systems in four years and some have turned out fine. One system change won't hurt him. The plays will look similar anyway, Bates was trying to emulate the Patriots offense last year, I imagine its just the terminology that will change. The reads will probably be about the same too.

honz
01-19-2009, 08:12 PM
Jay will be fine. He is a smart guy and he's learned new systems before. My hope is that McDaniels and company help Jay by giving him safety valves to check down to and encourage him to use them. With his arm he always wants to go downfield (or at least it seems to my eye) and it often times bites him in the ass when he tries to force things...it's nothing new that he has a little bit too much faith in his arm.

I think mixing up a downfield passing game with some short screens and dumpoffs to our multiple weapons on offense will do wonders for Jay. I mean we have a bunch of guys that excel in yards after the catch with Marshall, Royal, Hillis, and even Scheffler and Graham to an extent. It seemed like we tried to implement a short passing game towards the end of the season, but the plays were predictable and ineffective...we just need to get guys like Marshall and Royal in space.

omac
01-19-2009, 08:32 PM
Bates, a six year NFL veteran, has spent the last three years in Denver as the quarterbacks/wide receivers coach.

Wow, he spent the last 3 years in Denver as the quarterbacks and wide receivers coach. That coincides directly with the drafting and development of Cutler, Marshall, Eddie, and Tony.

Thank you, Jerermy Bates, for the excellent job you've done on our QB and receiving corps, getting them way ahead of the curve. May you find even more success at USC! :salute:

broncos4life88
01-19-2009, 08:34 PM
Wow, he spent the last 3 years in Denver as the quarterbacks and wide receivers coach. That coincides directly with the drafting and development of Cutler, Marshall, Eddie, and Tony.

Thank you, Jerermy Bates, for the excellent job you've done on our QB and receiving corps, getting them way ahead of the curve. May you find even more success at USC! :salute:

True that!

TXBRONC
01-19-2009, 09:02 PM
Meh...hell, there are guys that have four systems in four years and some have turned out fine. One system change won't hurt him. The plays will look similar anyway, Bates was trying to emulate the Patriots offense last year, I imagine its just the terminology that will change. The reads will probably be about the same too.

I would imagine you're right that the biggest difference will be terminology.

SmilinAssasSin27
01-19-2009, 09:04 PM
Hopefully someone can teach the players how to not fumble.

NameUsedBefore
01-19-2009, 10:01 PM
USC? That's kinda random. I kinda knew he was on his way out, but I saw him being an OC somewhere in the NFL... Oh well, wish him the best, yadda yadda yadda.

SmilinAssasSin27
01-19-2009, 10:06 PM
Also, if Jay is that bent out of shape (and I have no evidence that he even is) over the changes, than he may as well just follow Bates to USC...or Shanny to ??? Fact is, Jay is smart enough to realize that change is constant and he will never have it exactly the same as he did...even if he pouted and went elsewhere. He's a big boy. He'll be fine.

omac
01-20-2009, 12:20 AM
Hopefully someone can teach the players how to not fumble.

The Broncos were actually middle of the pack with respect to rushing and receiving fumbles; with receiving fumbles, they had 5, just like the Pats, 49ers, Jets; the Cardinals actually had more at 6, and the Cowboys had 7. Considering few teams passed as much as the Broncos, that's not bad.

With regards to rushing fumbles, the Broncos had 8; that's one less than the Cowboys, and one more than the Giants. There were even a few teams that had 11, but the most went to the 49ers with 15.

Though nothing great, it was pretty average. It only seems more because it happens to the team we root for. :cheers:

(added) In 2005, when our offense went much more conservative with the passing, we actually had more receiving fumbles, 6, than we had this season. So for the volume of passes and yards, this young receiving corps did a better job than the veterans of 2005 did, at least with respect to holding on to the ball after getting hit.

Lonestar
01-20-2009, 01:32 AM
The Broncos were actually middle of the pack with respect to rushing and receiving fumbles; with receiving fumbles, they had 5, just like the Pats, 49ers, Jets; the Cardinals actually had more at 6, and the Cowboys had 7. Considering few teams passed as much as the Broncos, that's not bad.

With regards to rushing fumbles, the Broncos had 8; that's one less than the Cowboys, and one more than the Giants. There were even a few teams that had 11, but the most went to the 49ers with 15.

Though nothing great, it was pretty average. It only seems more because it happens to the team we root for. :cheers:

(added) In 2005, when our offense went much more conservative with the passing, we actually had more receiving fumbles, 6, than we had this season. So for the volume of passes and yards, this young receiving corps did a better job than the veterans of 2005 did, at least with respect to holding on to the ball after getting hit.

Good post..
actually it seemed like more because of where they happened.. While no fumble is good when they happen deep in either end of the field it can be catastrophic..

Shazam!
01-20-2009, 01:51 AM
Also, if Jay is that bent out of shape (and I have no evidence that he even is) over the changes, than he may as well just follow Bates to USC...or Shanny to ??? Fact is, Jay is smart enough to realize that change is constant and he will never have it exactly the same as he did...even if he pouted and went elsewhere. He's a big boy. He'll be fine.

I agree. If he was in his 30's maybe it'd be a problem, but he is young enough he'll adjust fine.

Davii
01-20-2009, 02:16 AM
The cool part I think is we still pay him for his contract, and he gets paid by USC. Offset money doesn't apply to college teams.

He is smart. Good for him.

And Jeremy, no running tater up the gut on third and short.

Are we still on the hook for the money even though he "chose" to leave the team?

He was not officially released or fired, no determination had been made as to whether or not he would be retained to my knowledge.

So, he left for a better offer, college or not, we're still on the hook for that?

Shazam!
01-20-2009, 02:18 AM
I think that since he chose to leave, Denver is off the hook with their contractual agreement...

Shanahan is in his 50's. Bates is young and looking to gain experience. He has much more to gain by coaching elsewhere, especially with a successful USC program. He can learn much from Pete Carroll.

Dirk
01-20-2009, 07:22 AM
Peace out Bates! :salute:

Looks like we are indeed on the road to bigger and better things.
*crossing fingers*

Actually, I like the direction so far. However I think Bates was a good QB coach but I don't think he was OC material.....yet. :coffee:

EastCoastBronco
01-20-2009, 08:57 AM
By National Football Post
Posted January 19, 2009

Bates Heading To USC
The National Football Post has just been informed that former Denver Broncos offensive coordinator Jeremy Bates has accepted an offer to become an assistant coach at the University of Southern California.

Bates, a six year NFL veteran, has spent the last three years in Denver as the quarterbacks/wide receivers coach. Prior to joining the Broncos in 2006, Bates worked for the New York Jets and Tampa Bay Buccaneers.

Bye.

Can you really blame the guy? That's a freaking dream job...

broncofaninfla
01-20-2009, 09:31 AM
Great opportunity, I hope he succeeds!

Lonestar
01-20-2009, 02:19 PM
Are we still on the hook for the money even though he "chose" to leave the team?

He was not officially released or fired, no determination had been made as to whether or not he would be retained to my knowledge.

So, he left for a better offer, college or not, we're still on the hook for that?

I would think since he was under contract and allowed to leave because he wanted to move on that most of his salary would go away if not all of it..

Afterall he was not fired and is not performing for his salary.. therefore unless there was a clause saying we would pay for the difference between the two contracts we should be free and clear..

Watchthemiddle
01-20-2009, 05:46 PM
Jay is a smart guy, I think he'll pick it up pretty quickly.

So if he stumbles again next year, is this the excuse we are going to hear after next season...

But but but....it was a new offense....he needs a few years to learn....:listen:

No excuses next year...especially with your comment TX....Jay was proclaimed a smart guy coming out of college....HE SHOULD learn it and pick it up pretty quickly.....I don't want to hear it next year.

:coffee:

Watchthemiddle
01-20-2009, 05:50 PM
Jay will be fine. He is a smart guy and he's learned new systems before. My hope is that McDaniels and company help Jay by giving him safety valves to check down to and encourage him to use them. With his arm he always wants to go downfield (or at least it seems to my eye) and it often times bites him in the ass when he tries to force things...it's nothing new that he has a little bit too much faith in his arm.

I think mixing up a downfield passing game with some short screens and dumpoffs to our multiple weapons on offense will do wonders for Jay. I mean we have a bunch of guys that excel in yards after the catch with Marshall, Royal, Hillis, and even Scheffler and Graham to an extent. It seemed like we tried to implement a short passing game towards the end of the season, but the plays were predictable and ineffective...we just need to get guys like Marshall and Royal in space.

Yup the plays were predictable and ineffective because we tried to run more WR screens. Does anyone else see this as a sign that the previous administration lost faith in Cutler to make a decision and throw the ball down field?

THey dumbed down the playbook for Boy WOnder.

GOod luck Bates...your playbook will look much better in the hands of a college QB than a 3 year pro.....atleast if a college QB messes it up, you can always just blame it as in-experience.

TXBRONC
01-20-2009, 10:23 PM
So if he stumbles again next year, is this the excuse we are going to hear after next season...

But but but....it was a new offense....he needs a few years to learn....:listen:

No excuses next year...especially with your comment TX....Jay was proclaimed a smart guy coming out of college....HE SHOULD learn it and pick it up pretty quickly.....I don't want to hear it next year.

Quite honestly I don't give a damn if you'll want to hear it or not should Jay struggle with a new offense. I gave MY thoughts on the matter and that is all it is. Now if you're meaning you want pick fights (verbal sparing) I'm game.

TXBRONC
01-20-2009, 10:26 PM
Yup the plays were predictable and ineffective because we tried to run more WR screens. Does anyone else see this as a sign that the previous administration lost faith in Cutler to make a decision and throw the ball down field?

GOod luck Bates...your playbook will look much better in the hands of a college QB than a 3 year pro.....atleast if a college QB messes it up, you can always just blame it as in-experience.

No the offense was dumbed down for his predecessor. Fact is whether you like it not, we could onlyeven dream of having multiple receiver sets for the one trick pony named Jake Plummer. :coffee:

Zweems56
01-20-2009, 10:26 PM
http://tinyurl.com/638v7m

fcspikeit
01-21-2009, 01:34 AM
Here's a statement from Cutler released today by the Broncos via USC:

"Jeremy is one of the best offensive minds in football. He was extremely innovative with our offense and took our playbook to the next level with some of the things he did, keeping defenses off balance and changing our look but at the same time keeping it simple for us players. Some of the things he did were amazing to watch. He was always watching other teams and coming up with new ideas for our offense. He helped me grow into my third NFL season and helped me reach the Pro Bowl along with some of the other goals I set for myself. As a unit, our offense became one of the most productive in the league with Jeremy calling plays. He brought a lot of excitement to the meeting room and on the field. He made me want to come to work every day and get better. Jeremy will do great things in his new role, and USC couldn't have picked a better guy."

Here's a statement from Cutler released today by the Broncos via USC: (http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/sports_blog/2009/01/denver-broncos.html)

Broncos Mtnman
01-21-2009, 01:55 AM

Yeah, quarterbacks break team records all the time when they use a dumbed down playbook.

Broncos Mtnman
01-21-2009, 02:03 AM

http://www.picpop.com/gallery/albums/userpics/1-14-05/uncle-bob.jpg

Shazam!
01-21-2009, 02:23 AM
I can't believe people are still brokenhearted over Jake friggin' Plummer.

Shanahan sabotaged his career here, I agree but they are both gone. New Coach and young talented QB. Time to move on. Denver Broncos 2006 seems like eons ago now.

TXBRONC
01-21-2009, 08:15 AM
Yeah, quarterbacks break team records all the time when they use a dumbed down playbook.

The playbook was actually expanded.

Zweems56
01-21-2009, 08:19 AM
The playbook was actually expanded.

Read what he was quoting. Thats called sarcasm. :heh: