PDA

View Full Version : Schefter blog: How a Chiefs fumble changed NFL history

Spiritguy
01-19-2009, 12:47 AM
Posted: January 18th, 2009 | Adam Schefter |

Nobody ever could have, or would have, predicted that one single play could cost multiple teams playoff spots, Super-Bowl winning coaches their jobs and changed the course of NFL history.

But it did.

Go back to the San Diego-Kansas City game on Dec. 14, and the NFL’s single most significant play of the season.

With 1:13 remaining in a game that San Diego trailed 21-16, Chargers punter Mike Scifres — did he have an incredible year or what — attempted an onside kick. It bounced into the usually sure hands of Chiefs wide receiver Dwayne Bowe — and bounced out.

And history changed.

If Bowe held onto that onside kick, Kansas City would have won the game. Instead, Bowe dropped it, Chargers wide receiver Kassim Osgood recovered it, and San Diego pulled out an improbable 22-21 victory.

If Kansas City had won the game, it’s very likely that Chiefs president Carl Peterson would not have resigned the very next day, opening up the job that went to Scott Pioli.

If Bowe held onto the onside kick, San Diego would have lost and Denver would have clinched the AFC West title that day, meaning Broncos coach Mike Shanahan wouldn’t have gotten fired and Josh McDaniels wouldn’t have gotten hired.

If Kansas City had won that game, San Diego would have traveled to Tampa Bay the next Sunday as a team eliminated from the playoffs instead of a rejuvenated and dangerous one, meaning the Buccaneers would have likely won the game and clinched a playoff spot. But San Diego won and Tampa Bay continued its tailspin that led to the firing of Jon Gruden and general manager Bruce Allen and the hiring of Raheem Morris and Mark Dominik.

If Tampa Bay had beaten San Diego, Philadelphia would have been eliminated from the playoffs and wouldn’t be playing in the NFC Championship Game.

It all goes back to one play. One single play. If Bowe holds on, Shanahan stays, San Diego goes home, Norv Turner might be in trouble, Gruden advances, Philadelphia sits and history changes. Now history changes in an entirely different way on the basis of the result of one play. One single play.

Hollywood gives us sliding doors, and so does the NFL.

But in football, it takes a little time before anyone realizes it.

http://blogs.nfl.com/category/adam-schefter/

Lonestar
01-19-2009, 12:51 AM
thanks Bowe for doing the right thing..

SR
01-19-2009, 12:55 AM
Stupid article.

KCL
01-19-2009, 12:56 AM
Them damn Chiefs....oh wait a minute...Carl is gone....:elefant:

KCL
01-19-2009, 12:57 AM
Stupid article.

I found it a great read!

SR
01-19-2009, 12:59 AM
I just don't care for Schefter sometimes. Some of the shit he posts, his draft stuff, and a lot of his insider stuff is really good, but articles like this are just speculation and opinion IMO. I dunno. I just go with my first thought after reading it, and it was "that was dumb".

KCL
01-19-2009, 01:01 AM
I just don't care for Schefter sometimes. Some of the shit he posts, his draft stuff, and a lot of his insider stuff is really good, but articles like this are just speculation and opinion IMO. I dunno. I just go with my first thought after reading it, and it was "that was dumb".

It reminded me of dominos.

NameUsedBefore
01-19-2009, 01:18 AM
Chaos theory-esque...

Or, what if some of the fringe elements of the theory of quantum mechanics and dimensions are true? That when the ball was in the air dimensions were opening up at every 1/1000000000000000000 of a second? Then each dimension took its own course? Yadda yadda yadda.

Poor article.

BroncoBJ
01-19-2009, 01:29 AM
I really enjoyed the article. :salute:

I've thought same stuff like that. I remember watching that Chiefs game and I remember a buddy texting me saying " 2 minutes until were AFC West Champs".
And another buddy sent me a text saying " When will playoff tickets go on sale"

I remember I was happy knowing that the Chargers needed 2 scores.
Then They scored and CBS Kicked in to the Panthers/Broncos game and I missed the last minute. :fight:

But Then I look back and realize how we would still have Shanny, we would have lost to Indy in the 1st round. We would have the same defense next year and go 8-8 again probably and miss out on the playoffs.

While the Colts beat us go to Pitt and beat them. And then beat Baltimore in the AFC Championship game.

And the Superbowl would be Indy vs Arizona. :elefant:

Shazam!
01-19-2009, 02:33 AM
...If Bowe held onto the onside kick, San Diego would have lost and Denver would have clinched the AFC West title that day, meaning Broncos coach Mike Shanahan wouldn’t have gotten fired and Josh McDaniels wouldn’t have gotten hired...

Thank goodness he fumbled then. Shanahan had to go.

omac
01-19-2009, 07:44 AM
Interesting article, but that play where KC practically hands the game over to SD on a silver platter was very reminiscent of the way KC played this season, not able to win the games they should have.

IMO, what ultimately did Shanahan in was the consistently horrendous defense the last 2 seasons since firing Coyer, but those were the risks Shanahan took, first with Jim Bates, then with Slowik.

What did Gruden in was probably the consistently non-explosive offense he's been fielding for Tampa since day one, despite him being a offense coach.

Norv would stay as indicated by A.J., most likely even if they didn't make the playoffs, mainly because A.J.'s ego won't allow him to admit mistake on hiring Norv and firing Marty.

The Giants have overachieved all season long, losing one of their biggest impact players on offense, Plaxico, then having Jacobs injured at times during the season, losing their 2 best defensive players to retirement and injury, and fielding a team that has Hixon as their #1 WR. Add to that all the distraction from all the controversy from Plaxico's attitude, then the gun charges. I wasn't surprised they were knocked out of the playoffs ... the Eagles just happened to be the team that did it.

The Eagles still didn't make it to the Superbowl, and haven't won theirs yet. The Chargers still don't have a Superbowl trophy.

The Steelers and Cardinals were the champs of their conferences, and were not affected by the SD making the playoffs.

So in some ways, maybe the Chiefs' fumble didn't affect what happened as much as it looks like it could have.

Northman
01-19-2009, 08:11 AM
The article is on the money but...

Had Denver won even one of their remaining 3 games the KC debacle would of been irrelevant. As they say, dont rely on someone else to do your dirty work.

TXBRONC
01-19-2009, 08:24 AM
Interesting article, but that play where KC practically hands the game over to SD on a silver platter was very reminiscent of the way KC played this season, not able to win the games they should have.

IMO, what ultimately did Shanahan in was the consistently horrendous defense the last 2 seasons since firing Coyer, but those were the risks Shanahan took, first with Jim Bates, then with Slowik.

What did Gruden in was probably the consistently non-explosive offense he's been fielding for Tampa since day one, despite him being a offense coach.

Norv would stay as indicated by A.J., most likely even if they didn't make the playoffs, mainly because A.J.'s ego won't allow him to admit mistake on hiring Norv and firing Marty.

The Giants have overachieved all season long, losing one of their biggest impact players on offense, Plaxico, then having Jacobs injured at times during the season, losing their 2 best defensive players to retirement and injury, and fielding a team that has Hixon as their #1 WR. Add to that all the distraction from all the controversy from Plaxico's attitude, then the gun charges. I wasn't surprised they were knocked out of the playoffs ... the Eagles just happened to be the team that did it.

The Eagles still didn't make it to the Superbowl, and haven't won theirs yet. The Chargers still don't have a Superbowl trophy.

The Steelers and Cardinals were the champs of their conferences, and were not affected by the SD making the playoffs.

So in some ways, maybe the Chiefs' fumble didn't affect what happened as much as it looks like it could have.

I wouldn't doubt that in the long run it played a part in Gruden's and Allen's (he was the GM) demise. But according the Buccaneers former GM what did him and Gruden in was the month of December. Like Denver they had similar slide into oblivion.

TXBRONC
01-19-2009, 08:25 AM
The article is on the money but...

Had Denver won even one of their remaining 3 games the KC debacle would of been irrelevant. As they say, dont rely on someone else to do your dirty work.

Excellent point Northman. :salute:

LRtagger
01-19-2009, 09:19 AM
Interesting article, but IMO Shanny still would have been fired after Indy beat us 45-20 in the first round of the playoffs.

SmilinAssasSin27
01-19-2009, 10:07 AM
I liked the article. I like that he thought outside the box a little. Of course, Denver and TB could have both canged their destinies themselves, but this isn't what the article was about.

Medford Bronco
01-19-2009, 10:11 AM
Interesting article, but IMO Shanny still would have been fired after Indy beat us 45-20 in the first round of the playoffs.

More like 52-21, kind of like the SD game :(

45 would not be enough with slowbrain running the show

Buff
01-19-2009, 11:02 AM
I hate the Chiefs even more than I did previously for blowing that lead... Seriously, 11 points in a minute and a half? Herm Edwards should have resigned on the spot.

TXBRONC
01-19-2009, 11:07 AM
I hate the Chiefs even more than I did previously for blowing that lead... Seriously, 11 points in a minute and a half? Herm Edwards should have resigned on the spot.

Well he's not sharpest knife in the draw.

Medford Bronco
01-19-2009, 11:09 AM

You dont want Hermie to resign, its an advantage for Denver:lol:

He is probably gone though, he is a bum:lol:

KCL
01-19-2009, 11:17 AM
You dont want Hermie to resign, its an advantage for Denver:lol:

He is probably gone though, he is a bum:lol:

:laugh: I have not heard whether Hermie stays or goes...In ways I don't believe he will although he did ask at the end of the season for more time.
And then some of the stuff I read makes me think that they may keep him.
The Chiefs sure hasn't said much since Pioli was hired.Also Gun is in talks with'the Lions.

TXBRONC
01-19-2009, 12:29 PM
:laugh: I have not heard whether Hermie stays or goes...In ways I don't believe he will although he did ask at the end of the season for more time.
And then some of the stuff I read makes me think that they may keep him.
The Chiefs sure hasn't said much since Pioli was hired.Also Gun is in talks with'the Lions.

I would think if the Chiefs are going to fire him they would want to get on with it because time is starting to become a factor.

BroncoWave
01-19-2009, 12:30 PM
I thought it was a cool article. I think some of you that don't like it are taking it a bit more seriously than he intended.

Greatspirits
01-19-2009, 01:02 PM
I was thinking the exact same thing after we hired Josh, thank god for the fumble!

Nomad
01-19-2009, 01:31 PM
I thought it was a cool article. I think some of you that don't like it are taking it a bit more seriously than he intended.

True! I could take the article with a grain of salt and not be a stiff, but then again, I'm not much of a "what if" guy or try not to be! Take what comes and try to improve or make the situation better!

KCL
01-19-2009, 02:33 PM
I just love the fact that the article points to the fact that the Chiefs caused all this....:lol:

Lonestar
01-19-2009, 02:34 PM
I just love the fact that the article points to the fact that the Chiefs caused all this....:lol:

your all trouble makers no doubt.. in a couple of years, could be conference champs..

KCL
01-19-2009, 02:43 PM
your all trouble makers no doubt.. in a couple of years, could be conference champs..

One can only hope so...and maybe Bowe will hang onto the ball.

Medford Bronco
01-19-2009, 02:49 PM
One can only hope so...and maybe Bowe will hang onto the ball.

buy him some http://i.cdn.turner.com/sivault/image/1981/01/01/001315837.jpg

Stick em. Yes I know its outlawed but this is a funny picture:laugh:

KCL
01-19-2009, 02:58 PM
Med...is that the same stuff the Broncos put on their jerseys when they played the Chiefs that one time in KC?

Wait..that was some slick stuff I think.

Medford Bronco
01-19-2009, 03:01 PM
Med...is that the same stuff the Broncos put on their jerseys when they played the Chiefs that one time in KC?

Wait..that was some slick stuff I think.

It is stickum to help you hold on to the ball.

It has been outlawed for years. Lester Hayes was notorious for it
and so was Fred Belitinkoff (sp) as well.

I think you are referring to cilicone to help O lineman not get held.

TXBRONC
01-19-2009, 03:03 PM
buy him some http://i.cdn.turner.com/sivault/image/1981/01/01/001315837.jpg

Stick em. Yes I know its outlawed but this is a funny picture:laugh:

He was always covered in, that is until it was prohibited.

CoachChaz
01-19-2009, 03:26 PM
The funniest part of it all is Biletnikoff was the most norable user of the stuff and they went and name an award for WR's after him.

TXBRONC
01-19-2009, 03:41 PM
The funniest part of it all is Biletnikoff was the most norable user of the stuff and they went and name an award for WR's after him.

Yeah that is somewhat ironic. My dad remembers watching a Raiders game and seeing a pass hittiing Fred in the shoulder and just staying there.

Lonestar
01-19-2009, 03:46 PM
It is stickum to help you hold on to the ball.

It has been outlawed for years. Lester Hayes was notorious for it
and so was Fred Belitinkoff (sp) as well.

I think you are referring to cilicone to help O lineman not get held.

actually it was PAM the frying pan spray.. sprayed on their jerseys..

CoachChaz
01-19-2009, 03:46 PM
Yeah that is somewhat ironic. My dad remembers watching a Raiders game and seeing a pass hittiing Fred in the shoulder and just staying there.

Yeah, my Dad told me about a game where Oakland played in Philly and Belitnikof caught a TD and went to the sideline and a staff member had to pull the ball off. Not so surprising is the fans started throwing things at him to see if they would stick.

Lonestar
01-19-2009, 03:49 PM
Yeah, my Dad told me about a game where Oakland played in Philly and Belitnikof caught a TD and went to the sideline and a staff member had to pull the ball off. Not so surprising is the fans started throwing things at him to see if they would stick.

there was film on that and yes folks threw stuff at him to see if it would stick especially south standers pennies and dimes and then came the batteries.. He quipped once in the paper, he made a buck 47 one game..

Benetto
01-19-2009, 03:59 PM
Just when you thought the Chiefs are not good for anything...:coffee:

To many "what if's" in that article. Every team decides it's own fate. SD, Denver etc...

All I know is good things should come of this in 2009.

BOOOO STEELERS!!!

SmilinAssasSin27
01-19-2009, 04:08 PM
Hi5 for boo steelers

Simple Jaded
01-19-2009, 05:06 PM
If Shanahan wins the AFCWest with an 8-8 record, goes to the playoffs and gets his ass handed to him by the Colts (Which is exactly what would have happened), I still think Bowlen makes this move.

The fact is, the Broncos have been paying for Shanahan's mistakes for the last three seasons, and imo, they'll be paying for those mistakes for the foreseeable future. That's why he's gone.

I didn't want to see Shanahan fired, imo he should have been fired in 04 when his drafts had set Denver on this inevitable course, not in 09 after he had things turned around and headed in the right direction.......but I'm excited for a new era, even if that new era is led by Doogie McDaniels HC and not Rex Ryan or Steve Spagnuolo.......