PDA

View Full Version : IOWA HAWKEYE FANS ATTN: Offseason Rebuild

broncos4life88
01-18-2009, 08:02 PM
Hey other Hawk fans now that we have lost some seriously good players to graduation and the draft (S.Greene) :mad: ,but we still have some good recruits coming in like Keenan Davis out of Cedar Rapids, and Tyler Sash returning from a stellar season.

So where do we go from here? Will Jewel Hampton have a successful year like he showed glimpses of last year backing up All-American S.Greene, he seems like he will be pretty good for the next couple years, and what about Ricky Stanzi? Will he provide us with a good arm and smart thinking game in and game out?

We have a pretty tough conference schedule next year with games against Ohio St. and Michigan, and other consistent contenders like Wisconsin.

The defense was rather young in the linebacking core and secondary aswell with losing Fletcher to graduation, this year might be scary to watch. Tyler Sash should be a great player to watch with game-changing picks and consistent playmaking abilities like last year.

So where do we end up? Kirk Ferentz might leave with all the rumors going around with job offers for him on the next level. Will we contend for a conference championship or a BCS berth?

SmilinAssasSin27
01-18-2009, 08:48 PM
pretenders as usual. ferentz is a good coach who has a nice thing goin, but he has also had some highly ranked recruiting classes and done nothing with em. They will be average/barely above average and put a couple of players in the NFL...but no more.

studbucket
01-18-2009, 09:06 PM
pretenders as usual. ferentz is a good coach who has a nice thing goin, but he has also had some highly ranked recruiting classes and done nothing with em. They will be average/barely above average and put a couple of players in the NFL...but no more.

Just curious, what was the last 'good' class we had? Shonn Greene was what, a 2-star prospect? None of our other players are really highly recruited.

How are they pretenders when they aren't considered a contender? Just confused.

Either way, we lost some key players in Greene, Olsen, Fletcher, and Kroul & Unusual Punishment, but we also have lots of returning juniors and seniors, and Stanzi should only get better. I am not too worried, and expect 9 wins or so.

studbucket
01-18-2009, 09:08 PM
I'm excited to have all of the LBs returning, both DEs, 3/4 of the secondary and Jewel Hampton, DJK, and Stanzi should help provide a decent offense.

SmilinAssasSin27
01-18-2009, 09:32 PM
Just curious, what was the last 'good' class we had? Shonn Greene was what, a 2-star prospect? None of our other players are really highly recruited.

How are they pretenders when they aren't considered a contender? Just confused.

Either way, we lost some key players in Greene, Olsen, Fletcher, and Kroul & Unusual Punishment, but we also have lots of returning juniors and seniors, and Stanzi should only get better. I am not too worried, and expect 9 wins or so.

It was 3 and 4 years ago or 4 and 5 years ago, he brought in some top notch recruits. Recruiting class was ranked pretty high, top 10, I think. I just remember thinking they should be set to be big players, but it never happened.

studbucket
01-18-2009, 09:38 PM
It was 3 and 4 years ago or 4 and 5 years ago, he brought in some top notch recruits. Recruiting class was ranked pretty high, top 10, I think. I just remember thinking they should be set to be big players, but it never happened.

Ah, they probably all got arrested or hurt, seriously.

Was this after the 3 season stretch where they finished at #8 all three years? After Gallery, Sanders, Clark, and others went pro?

SmilinAssasSin27
01-18-2009, 09:48 PM

5 star
Dan Doering

4 star
Anthony Moeaki
Dace Richardson
Kalvin Bailey
Jake Christiansen
Rafeal Eubanks
Ryan Bain
Alex Kanellis

3 star
11 of em including Greene and Yanda

4 star
Adrian Clayborn
Jeremiha Hunter

3 star
10 of em including Janzi

4 stars
Jordan Bernstine
Bryan Bulaga
Christian Ballard
Cedric Everson
Diauntae Morrow

3 stars
11 of em

Ranking wise, thoseare pretty good classes. Maybe not Ohio State good, but comparable to PSU, etc. You would know better than I what happenedto these dudes, but I just was expecting more from em. That' all. Not hating on em...just expected more.

studbucket
01-18-2009, 09:58 PM
Wow, it's the '05 class that is killing us. Some of those guys I have never, ever heard of and the others were underperformers (Christiansen) or were hurt 24/7 (Moeaki).

The '06 and '07 classes make up almost all of our team now.

SmilinAssasSin27
01-18-2009, 10:00 PM
Moeaki was supposed to be a beast at TE. got hurt you said?

SmilinAssasSin27
01-18-2009, 10:01 PM
Is Dace Richardson still there or did he transfer?

studbucket
01-18-2009, 10:07 PM
Moeaki was supposed to be a beast at TE. got hurt you said?

Like 4 times a season, no joke. Think of him as Iowa's Nate Jackson. Great hands, no durability. He was a monster when he's healthy though.

Is Dace Richardson still there or did he transfer?

I have no clue at all, had to google....

Looks like injury too, missed the entire season with a knee.

studbucket
01-18-2009, 10:10 PM
You know, looking at those lists, Iowa's best players are almost all 2 or 3 star. I think Ferentz either just sucks at finding good 4 stars, or he is amazing at getting the most out of 2-3 star guys. Maybe both?

I doubt Gallery and Clark were rated that highly, Sanders, Greenway, and Hodge might have been.

SmilinAssasSin27
01-18-2009, 10:13 PM
I remember Sanders in HS. He's from Erie. So was that white WR you guys had, Ed Hinkle if I remember correctly.. Sanders was a beast and pretty highly rated.

SmilinAssasSin27
01-18-2009, 10:14 PM
Dd Shonn Greene go toprep school? He's listed as a 2 star in 2004, but then a 3 star in 2005.

studbucket
01-18-2009, 10:15 PM
I remember Sanders in HS. He's from Erie. So was that white WR you guys had, Ed Hinkle if I remember correctly.. Sanders was a beast and pretty highly rated.

Yeah, Hinkel was from there. I wonder who the next quick, white WR with good hands will be? It's like Iowa's staple to have one.

Dwight -> Kasper -> Hinkel -> Brodell -> ?

studbucket
01-18-2009, 10:16 PM
Dd Shonn Greene go toprep school? He's listed as a 2 star in 2004, but then a 3 star in 2005.

Yeah, he did. That's how he's a 23-year old junior. 1 year at prep school, 2 years at Iowa, 1 year at Kirkwood CC, 1 year at Iowa.

SmilinAssasSin27
01-18-2009, 10:18 PM
I don't se any so far on the 2009 list.

broncos4life88
01-19-2009, 12:59 PM
Yeah, Hinkel was from there. I wonder who the next quick, white WR with good hands will be? It's like Iowa's staple to have one.

Dwight -> Kasper -> Hinkel -> Brodell -> ?

Ya, it does seem every year we have one. DJK and Keenan Davis will rip up the secondary of just about every team in the B-10! Ferentz is a great coach and seems he is more of guy that can turn a 2 or 3 star recruit into a NFL pro.

studbucket
01-19-2009, 01:00 PM
Yeah, I'm excited to see Keenan Davis also, as well as that RB from Sioux City.

Maybe Trey Stross can stay healthy and be that white WR? Or Colin Sandeman?

broncos4life88
01-19-2009, 01:08 PM
Yeah, I'm excited to see Keenan Davis also, as well as that RB from Sioux City.

Maybe Trey Stross can stay healthy and be that white WR? Or Colin Sandeman?

Ya Stross will prolly have a pretty good year, Brandon Wegher from Bishop-Garrigan should have a decent career. I am from the North-Iowa area and always have to hear about that team dominating, always competing for state titles in B-Ball or Football.

studbucket
02-03-2009, 09:26 PM
Black Heart Gold Pants has an article complete with video on Iowa's 3 big in-state recruits: Brandon Wegher, Keenan Davis, and Jordan Cotton.

http://www.blackheartgoldpants.com/2009/2/3/748443/signing-day-rodeo-part-one

SmilinAssasSin27
02-03-2009, 10:11 PM
http://iowa.rivals.com/commitlist.asp?sport=1&school=31&year=2009#page3

Here what Rivals is showing so far. U expecting much more?

studbucket
02-03-2009, 10:17 PM
http://iowa.rivals.com/commitlist.asp?sport=1&school=31&year=2009#page3

Here what Rivals is showing so far. U expecting much more?

Nope, I don't think so. Maybe a 2 or 3 star here or there, but this class has pretty much already committed.

It's one of the better in-state classes in a while, and while it doesn't look pretty, it seems that Ferentz turns 2-star recruits into forces relatively well.

All 3 players in that article mentioned above run about 4.4 40s, so it'll be nice to have some of that speed on the outside.

studbucket
02-04-2009, 03:24 PM
A nice piece on a Massachusetts kid choosing Iowa: http://www.boston.com/sports/colleges/football/articles/2009/02/04/a_big_time_state_representative/?page=1

Here's a few paragraphs:

During DiBona's spring visit to Iowa, in the lobby of his hotel, a security guard confronted him. DiBona wondered what he had done wrong. The guard shook his hand and wished him well on his visit - he recognized DiBona as a recruit.

"I think everybody is a big Hawkeye fan out there," DiBona said. "Everybody loves you."

Maimaron spent the weekend observing the program and meeting Iowa's coaches. He talked with head coach Kirk Ferentz and offensive coordinator Ken O'Keefe, who primarily recruited DiBona. They offered him a chance to sit in on staff meetings.

"I came away thinking I had never met an individual that exudes leadership more in my life," Maimaron said. "I literally came out of there saying, 'This guy should be president of the United States.' You're worried about sending a kid somewhere. You have no doubt that he's going to be taught the right things."

broncos4life88
02-07-2009, 05:49 PM
Kirk Ferentz IS the man. I was hoping he would leave Iowa for Denver. :laugh:

studbucket
03-10-2009, 09:44 AM
One more reason why the # of stars that your recruits have is vastly over-rated, and why good coaching trumps good talent in Big-Time CFB.

http://buckbravo.com/?p=769

Here's a numbers example from the article:
http://buckbravo.com/buckbravo2/wp-content/uploads/2009/02/2009rivalsstars.png

MOtorboat
03-10-2009, 10:00 AM
One more reason why the # of stars that your recruits have is vastly over-rated, and why good coaching trumps good talent in Big-Time CFB.

http://buckbravo.com/?p=769

Here's a numbers example from the article:
http://buckbravo.com/buckbravo2/wp-content/uploads/2009/02/2009rivalsstars.png

Well, more talent always helps, but I've seen cases, and more so in basketball than football, but cases where a player is a four-or five star rated player by Rivals, and the minute he backs away from a major program and chooses a mid-level program, he's dropped to a three-star kid, because there's an assumption out there that, "Well, Duke/Kansas/Arizona/UCLA/North Carolina aren't interested, so he must not be that good."

studbucket
03-10-2009, 10:05 AM
Well, more talent always helps, but I've seen cases, and more so in basketball than football, but cases where a player is a four-or five star rated player by Rivals, and the minute he backs away from a major program and chooses a mid-level program, he's dropped to a three-star kid, because there's an assumption out there that, "Well, Duke/Kansas/Arizona/UCLA/North Carolina aren't interested, so he must not be that good."

Yeah, I've seen that happen too, it's the way it works I guess.

I just think it's funny to have guys like Shonn Greene that were initially 2* recruits become so effective and Iowa has really become O-Line University the last 10-15 years, and none of those guys are that highly touted coming in.

The team is consistently competitive in the Big 10 (and in bowl games), even if they haven't had a 5* recruit for years.

BroncoNut
03-10-2009, 10:56 AM
is angerer coming back or is he done? how about mitch with the long blond hair? O-lineman I think. I forget his last name.

studbucket
03-10-2009, 11:03 AM
is angerer coming back or is he done? how about mitch with the long blond hair? O-lineman I think. I forget his last name.

Angerer is coming back, I think he's gonna be a senior next year.

Mitch King, DT has graduated and will be a great value for somebody in the 4th or 5th round. I also am sorry to tell you that he cut his hair.

broncos4life88
04-27-2009, 01:56 PM
McNutt will make a great receiver

topscribe
04-27-2009, 02:08 PM
. . . And a special thinks for Seth Olsen . . .

-----

BroncoNut
04-27-2009, 06:07 PM

typical Penn State fan response.

SmilinAssasSin27
04-28-2009, 07:19 PM
typical Penn State fan response.

I'm actually a Tennessee fan.