PDA

View Full Version : No longer a threat at a mile high

champ24girl
10-08-2007, 09:18 AM
This from the RMN:
Playing at altitude used to be a badge of honor.

No longer. The Broncos are 2-6 in their last eight home games dating to Oct 29.

Remember in 2005 when we didn't lose a single regular season game at home? I think were just as good in '04 but late last season this changed.

SmithOverTO
10-08-2007, 09:31 AM
It's a Mile High Low.

It seemed once the Colts beat us at INVESCO everything just started to fall apart at home. Pathetic.

The Rockies have louder crowds now than the Broncos, and ones that are twice as raucous.

Simple Jaded
10-08-2007, 11:12 AM
....the loudest crowd in the league...

Lets face it, the Mile High mystique died years ago....The crowd noise alone was good enough for a few wins a year.

The crowd isn't nearly as loud as it once was, not even close!

I'd like to blame it all on the fans that populate those seats now but I can't. The fact is this is the atmosphere the Broncos WANT....like you're supposed to be there to watch an opera not a football game.

SoccerMoms and Corperate types just aren't as loud as the obnoxious beer drinkers.

Someone will try and convince me that the crowd is as loud as ever, don't bother, it's not even close. And now that you can lose your season tickets for dropping an F-bomb, it's most likely just going to get even more pathetic. Hell, maybe that's why the seats were empty in the 4th quarter, everybody got kicked out.

Another thing that contributes to Mile High being just another place is the fact that the Broncos defense just isn't nearly as good as it used to be.....

Medford Bronco
10-08-2007, 04:01 PM
wins create home field advantage and a bad team that goes away quickly :sad:

East Coast Fan
10-08-2007, 06:20 PM
You're right, the magic has disappeared. Back in the 70's in the Orange Crush days it was BIG NEWS if someone beat the Broncos in Denver. Now, no one fears coming to "Invesco". They pretty much chalk it up as a win. :tsk:

Medford Bronco
10-08-2007, 06:48 PM
You're right, the magic has disappeared. Back in the 70's in the Orange Crush days it was BIG NEWS if someone beat the Broncos in Denver. Now, no one fears coming to "Invesco". They pretty much chalk it up as a win. :tsk:

agreed to a point ECF but in 2005 we were 8-0 at home

a good team is as much as a part of home field advantage as much as the
stadium is IMO

East Coast Fan
10-08-2007, 06:52 PM
agreed to a point ECF but in 2005 we were 8-0 at home

You're right-but I think that it's gonna be awhile until we see numbers like that again.

Devilspawn
10-08-2007, 07:27 PM
SoccerMoms and Corperate types just aren't as loud as the obnoxious beer drinkers.
The soccer moms I know can be loud. :eek:

DenBronx
10-11-2007, 08:03 PM
http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k272/DenBronx/ottoy6.jpg

home field advantage has alot to do with the home field crowd. leaving early in the 3rd quarter is no kind of advantage at all.

BroncoWave
10-11-2007, 08:34 PM
http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k272/DenBronx/ottoy6.jpg

home field advantage has alot to do with the home field crowd. leaving early in the 3rd quarter is no kind of advantage at all.

Yeah because when you are down by 4 touchdowns or so and the team has quit a packed stadium would obviously make a difference. :rolleyes:

BroncoBJ
10-11-2007, 09:06 PM
Yeah because when you are down by 4 touchdowns or so and the team has quit a packed stadium would obviously make a difference. :rolleyes:

It could.
It would psych the team out and they would think they actually have a chance to come back and win. :laugh:

It sure is sad sitting through a game in the 4th qtr and theres all sorts of empty seats around you.

2-6 in our last 8 home games is pathetic though.
It makes me sick just thinking about it.

I still thought we had a chance most of the time.
I think I realized the game was over once Cutler threw that INT :lol:

DenBronx
10-12-2007, 12:43 AM

and YOU would do nothing to help your team get the slight edge....this is exactly what i'm talking about.

BroncoWave
10-12-2007, 06:40 AM
and YOU would do nothing to help your team get the slight edge....this is exactly what i'm talking about.

I'm not sure if I would have left the game or not. But the fact is, the players QUIT in that game. If the players have the right to quit on the fans, the fans have the right to quit on the players. If the players don't want the fans to leave early, they should DO something about it on the field.

silkamilkamonico
10-12-2007, 11:13 AM
I'm not sure if I would have left the game or not. But the fact is, the players QUIT in that game. If the players have the right to quit on the fans, the fans have the right to quit on the players. If the players don't want the fans to leave early, they should DO something about it on the field.

Yep.

People that keep bagging on the fans don't understand that the fans showed up with full support for their team.

It's not like they showed up to the game, already booing and not supporting.

Apparently it's ok for professional athletes, who make millions of dollars playing a a game, to quit n their team, but it's not ok for fans to show their displeasure only after the players having giving up.

"Utterly ridiculous".

The Glue Factory
10-12-2007, 12:47 PM
Yep.

People that keep bagging on the fans don't understand that the fans showed up with full support for their team.

It's not like they showed up to the game, already booing and not supporting.

Apparently it's ok for professional athletes, who make millions of dollars playing a a game, to quit n their team, but it's not ok for fans to show their displeasure only after the players having giving up.

"Utterly ridiculous".

Shanahan's comment about leaving the game is support enough of the fans that did leave. By the time the 3rd was half over the game was decided. I believe the game was over at 14-0. That fumble return just seemed to break the Broncos.

Krugan
10-12-2007, 01:01 PM
I think it goes beyond Invesco, it goes straight to the core of the team.

This team just isnt very good, and hasnt been for 2 seasons.

I knew coming into this last week that Denver was a long shot to stop the Chargers, even though SD looked beyond poor for the previous 4 weeks.

Its not going to get alot better than what we have now, and as much as I dont boo, I expect others to voice their opinions, and collectively.

It goes back to the final days of Old mile high, there really is no way you can replace it, you can try to create atmosphere, but you cant duplicate tradition.

Uncle Buck
10-12-2007, 01:18 PM
Despite my occasion bouts with "sour grapes," I'm confident that the Broncs will rise again! <homer smiles>

Maybe not this season, but probable for the next. No team stays on the plus side of the W's forever, although the Broncos have given it one hell of a run throughout the Shanny years. :rockon:

A few points...

1. There is no denying Cutler's arm strength, plus the ability to play inside--and outside--the pocket.

2. As both the O line and D line improve, Cutler will look even better.

3. On the negative side--and here's where I agree with another poster in here (don't recall the poster or the thread): This policy of going with other teams' "also-rans" is a bit discomforting. Travis Henry was allegedly "injury prone" before he came to Denver. I liked the idea of developing future star QB's--such as Davis, Portis, etc.--moreso than hoping for results in someone else's "proven" veteran.

Along these same lines, we really did get something out of bringing players like Champ and Lynch onboard, but those trades were among the bright highlights as far as acquiring talent from other teams. On the other hand, it was risky business taking on Javon Walker--albeit the great talent he has shown both on this team and from his former team. But, compared to Marshall--who looks like the Javon caliber--we have more potential years to look forward to as we watch Marshall develop than we have in Walker. And the older a player becomes, the more prone to injury--and not bouncing back from those injuries as well.

Please don't think I'm dissin' Javon in any way. I'm glad we have him, and have hopes that he will give us our best season yet, but, all things being equal, I'd prefer to start with--and develop--younger feature players.

Just my two-bits' worth (adjusted for inflation). :D