PDA

View Full Version : Broncos’ Miller fined $25,000 for hit on Jets’ Sanchez

Denver Native (Carol)
11-25-2011, 03:56 PM
For the second time this season Broncos rookie linebacker Von Miller has been fined by the NFL for a hit on an opposing quarterback.

Miller was fined $25,000 for a hit on Jets’ quarterback Mark Sanchez in the Broncos’ Nov. 17 win over New York in in Sports Authority Field at Mile High. Specifically Miller was cited for “roughing the passer” and striking an opposing quarterback in the chest area with his helmet.” Miller was also penalized as a repeat offender this season.

http://blogs.denverpost.com/broncos/2011/11/25/broncos-miller-fined-25000-for-hit-on-jets-sanchez/10876/

Northman
11-25-2011, 03:57 PM
I dont think i even remember the play.

wayninja
11-25-2011, 03:58 PM
Based on this I would expect Suh to be fined 3.5 million dollars.

Denver Native (Carol)
11-25-2011, 04:04 PM
Based on this I would expect Suh to be fined 3.5 million dollars.

AT LEAST :lol:

LTC Pain
11-25-2011, 05:25 PM
Screw the NFLs double jeopardy. Getting penalized (or not) during the game then afterward is BS. The NFLPA needs to challenge this in court.

I Eat Staples
11-25-2011, 05:31 PM
Not surprised, the NFL will do whatever it can to make sure teams like the Saints can win games by a score of 49-42. Hope this doesn't deter Miller from playing the game his way.

OrangeHoof
11-25-2011, 05:40 PM
It's getting silly. You can't hit them high. You can't hit them low. You can't hit them in the chest. You can't hit them in the nuts. Where are you suppose to hit the quarterback without getting flagged? Does the NFL realize how fast these guys are running at a moving target?

Agent of Orange
11-25-2011, 05:40 PM
http://blogs.denverpost.com/broncos/2011/11/25/broncos-miller-fined-25000-for-hit-on-jets-sanchez/10876/

Way to go, Carol!

BroncoWave
11-25-2011, 05:42 PM
Screw the NFLs double jeopardy. Getting penalized (or not) during the game then afterward is BS. The NFLPA needs to challenge this in court.

I'm sorry but I don't agree with this line of logic at all. This is nothing like double jeopardy. If a player gets away with an illegal hit during the game because a ref didn't see it, that doesn't mean he should be absolved of a fine.

Now I'm not necessarily saying Miller's hit deserved a fine, but to use the reasoning that he wasn't flagged during the game is pretty weak. Refs don't catch everything.

What if someone just kicks a guy in the balls as hard as he can and the refs miss it? Should he just not be fined even if it's clear on tape that he did it?

Agent of Orange
11-25-2011, 05:42 PM
It's getting silly. You can't hit them high. You can't hit them low. You can't hit them in the chest. You can't hit them in the nuts. Where are you suppose to hit the quarterback without getting flagged? Does the NFL realize how fast these guys are running at a moving target?

Im wonderig when the defensive players are going to start asking for more money in their contracts in advance of being fined. It's like if you're contract is worth 1.1 million dollars, it's really only worth 1.0 million dollars...if you play defense. Meanwhile, if you play QB, your contract is worth the full 1.1 million.

wayninja
11-25-2011, 05:46 PM

There's a special 'hit-box' located between the left and right gluteal muscles.

dogfish
11-25-2011, 05:48 PM
I dont think i even remember the play.

You better believe I do.

- Mark Sanchez

spikerman
11-25-2011, 05:48 PM
It's not where Miller hit him, it's that he led with the helmet. If I recall correctly many of us were expecting him to get fined, or were at least surprised he didn't get called for a penalty at the time. We shouldn't be surprised now that the NFL has acted.

dogfish
11-25-2011, 05:49 PM
Im wonderig when the defensive players are going to start asking for more money in their contracts in advance of being fined. It's like if you're contract is worth 1.1 million dollars, it's really only worth 1.0 million dollars...if you play defense. Meanwhile, if you play QB, your contract is worth the full 1.1 million.

if you're a quarterback, your contract is probably worth more like 1.4-1.7 with all the commercials and endorsement deals. . .

dogfish
11-25-2011, 05:51 PM
It's not where Miller hit him, it's that he led with the helmet. If I recall correctly many of us were expecting him to get fined, or were at least surprised he didn't get called for a penalty at the time. We shouldn't be surprised now that the NFL has acted.

i'm not surprised. . .

and frankly, if they absolutely have to do one, i'd rather they fine von than flag him. . .

sorry von, just how it is. . . :heh:

spikerman
11-25-2011, 05:54 PM

Or, they could just follow the rules. ;)

Agent of Orange
11-25-2011, 05:59 PM

Its not that simple. There are a lot of gray areas when things actually happen on the field. The administering of fines is also arbitrary and capricious.

wayninja
11-25-2011, 06:01 PM

I honestly would not have expected any difference had he led with his shoulder.

Shazam!
11-25-2011, 06:04 PM
In the year 2050, the NFL will be flag football if this keeps up.

wayninja
11-25-2011, 06:06 PM
In the year 2050, the NFL will be flag football if this keeps up.

If this keeps up, the NFL will be soccer in 2050.

I Eat Staples
11-25-2011, 07:00 PM

The rules are ridiculous, and clearly intended to give the offense an advantage.

spikerman
11-25-2011, 07:49 PM
The rules are ridiculous, and clearly intended to give the offense an advantage.

Well that's a different conversation. The NFL is only enforcing the rules as written. It's up to the competition committee to change them. I would hope that they wouldn't change the "targeting with the helmet" rule, though. That's how guys wind up paralyzed.

OrangeHoof
11-25-2011, 09:39 PM
It's so easy for defenders to get fined now,especially pass rushers, that Brian Orakpo has had to hang out in commercials with an emo caveman just to make ends meet.

Magnificent Seven
11-25-2011, 09:58 PM

THIS IS MAJOR BULLCRAP! Sack is sack! That's The Way It Is!

Horrible call!

FlyByU
11-25-2011, 10:13 PM
Reason NFL is falling in respect to old fashioned football. Stupid fine for a legit hit. It use to be if you was within a step of hitting you could not now days with feely, feely fines and rules ruining my blood sport...

BeefStew25
11-25-2011, 10:22 PM
Effing communists.

spikerman
11-25-2011, 10:29 PM
From the article posted by Carol, "... and striking an opposing quarterback in the chest area with his helmet.”

I'm only guessing, but I think the reason he was fined was because he went in with his head lowered and hit Sanchez with the crown of his helmet. Had it been the facemask I doubt there would have been a fine (and there shouldn't even have been a penalty unless it was late). If Von led with the crown that's very dangerous for both the hitter and the hittee. You can do maximum damage with the crown and the hitter could break his own neck. I know we all love football as a collision sport, but the idea is to allow hard, but safe hits.

I'm sure the NFL reviewed the film pretty extensively before issuing the fine. I can only assume (I know) that they saw something on the tape that warranted a fine as the rules are currently written.

/soapbox

FlyByU
11-25-2011, 10:45 PM
From the article posted by Carol, "... and striking an opposing quarterback in the chest area with his helmet.”

I'm only guessing, but I think the reason he was fined was because he went in with his head lowered and hit Sanchez with the crown of his helmet. Had it been the facemask I doubt there would have been a fine (and there shouldn't even have been a penalty unless it was late). If Von led with the crown that's very dangerous for both the hitter and the hittee. You can do maximum damage with the crown and the hitter could break his own neck. I know we all love football as a collision sport, but the idea is to allow hard, but safe hits.

I'm sure the NFL reviewed the film pretty extensively before issuing the fine. I can only assume (I know) that they saw something on the tape that warranted a fine as the rules are currently written.

/soapbox

Guess what tackling with head in chest and wrapping your arms around the player is text book tackle, that is taught to pee wee league football all the way through college. Yet it's illegal in the Pro's...

That is absurd of Goodell Give us back our real American Football and just stop with the Euro Suck sport Feely, Feely rules and fines already.

spikerman
11-25-2011, 10:50 PM
Guess what tackling with head in chest and wrapping your arms around the player is text book tackle, that is taught to pee wee league football all the way through college. Yet it's illegal in the Pro's...

That is absurd of Goodell Give us back our real American Football and just stop with the Euro Suck sport Feely, Feely rules and fines already.

You're right, it's textbook as long as the head is up. If the head is down, it's illegal. Again, I'm only guessing because I don't know for sure which hit he got fined for, but if the head was down and he hit him with the crown of his helmet, that's illegal.

Also, Goodell is not the one who makes the rules. The Competition Committee (which is made up primarily of coaches, I think) makes rule changes.

I Eat Staples
11-25-2011, 11:18 PM
Well that's a different conversation. The NFL is only enforcing the rules as written. It's up to the competition committee to change them. I would hope that they wouldn't change the "targeting with the helmet" rule, though. That's how guys wind up paralyzed.

I understand the need to protect players, and as you addressed in another post, textbook tackling involves keeping the head up. Lowering the helmet is just poor technique and puts yourself at risk more than anything, so I don't disagree with that rule.

I have a problem with the penalty for driving a QB to the ground and the hit on a defenseless receiver. It's basically illegal to hit a WR hard enough to knock the ball out now, which puts a defender in a position in which he almost has to let them catch it. And for driving a QB to the ground, when you've got 250-300 pounds of body mass flying into a person, you can't exactly place them gently on the ground, nor should you.

OrangeHoof
11-25-2011, 11:25 PM

/soapbox

If he DOESN'T lower his head, he'll get flagged and fined for a helmet-to-helmet hit, so he can't win. The only way he can correct course is to lead with the shoulder which would be okay if the quarterback were not allowed to move or duck.

spikerman
11-25-2011, 11:46 PM
If he DOESN'T lower his head, he'll get flagged and fined for a helmet-to-helmet hit, so he can't win. The only way he can correct course is to lead with the shoulder which would be okay if the quarterback were not allowed to move or duck.

If it's the play I'm thinking of, he would have hit him in the midsection either way. There is never any reason to lower your head when making a tackle.

karnage
11-26-2011, 12:32 AM
I've got a solution...the NFL just needs to only allow players that do NOT have necks or heads to play defense....or they could invent a Mr. Fantastic serum so defenders can place their heads near their asses while sacking the QB..

chazoe60
11-26-2011, 12:36 AM
I've got a solution...the NFL just needs to only allow players that do NOT have necks or heads to play defense....or they could invent a Mr. Fantastic serum so defenders can place their heads near their asses while sacking the QB..

That's the old Karnage humor that has me laughing my ass off.

Nice!!!

Did you see the BS call in the CU game today? I swear they might as well just put flags on WRs.

karnage
11-26-2011, 12:38 AM
That's the old Karnage humor that has me laughing my ass off.

Nice!!!

Did you see the BS call in the CU game today? I swear they might as well just put flags on WRs.

Nah I missed it...don't follow college as closely and being in Texas I rarely see CU anymore..

chazoe60
11-26-2011, 12:40 AM
Nah I missed it...don't follow college as closely and being in Texas I rarely see CU anymore..

It was just another of these shitty unneccissary roughness calls for hitting a WR near his vagina.

karnage
11-26-2011, 12:41 AM
it was just another of these shitty unneccissary roughness calls for hitting a wr near his vagina.

lol

OrangeHoof
11-26-2011, 01:05 AM
I remember when Jack Lambert used to complain that quarterbacks ought to wear skirts. And that was back in the day when you could hit them a lot harder than you can now.

I think the rule now is: "If you hit a player hard enough that it would have wound up in an NFL Films highlight video as a 'great hit' 10 years ago and it makes the offensive player roll over in pain - that's a penalty. We'll decide exactly what bs reason it's a penalty after we review it later in slow motion, but it's a penalty and that's 15 yards."

BeefStew25
11-26-2011, 02:12 AM
Elway is pissed Von is going to be a better LB that he was.

Signed,

Vhatever

Bronco Bible
11-26-2011, 09:12 AM

Get rid of the facemask....A few broken noses will solve the "blowing up" problem jmo

Ranger
11-26-2011, 10:02 AM
As a comment on ALL defense fines:

I think that it should be penalized on the field (not a retro fine), and if flagrant or repeated during the game, the officials can expel them from the game. If the flagged person is a really evil repeat offender, the top office can suspend him for a year. Forget the fines.

If this continues, I wouldn't blame the NFLPA for doing whatever they can to prioritize eliminating the fine.

And maybe the defense players should ask for an extra $100K-$200Kin their contracts to cover fines for tackling. Or is this touch football?

OrangeHoof
11-26-2011, 11:39 AM
Sports used to be able to police themselves. A pitcher throws at a batter - you throw at theirs. Someone goes after players' knees - you go after their knees. A basketball player commits hard fouls, you give him a dose of his own medicine. Only in ice hockey does it seem like there's still some frontier justice but even that is being legislated out.

When the officials or the league office try to be judge, jury and executioner, it always seems to wind up with unfairness - just like in our courts. One guy gets 20 years for drug possession while another gets 2 years for murder. I say if the players were freer to dispense their own punishment, the game would be more fair.

FlyByU
11-26-2011, 11:46 AM
Also, Goodell is not the one who makes the rules. The C (which is made up primarily of coaches, I think) makes rule changes.

Goodell has a big say in what is allowed and sway over The Competition Committee way more then he should he even said he helped push through many of these new rules/fines. He has a lot more to do with the rule changes then The Competition Committee would admit.

spikerman
11-26-2011, 12:21 PM
Goodell has a big say in what is allowed and sway over The Competition Committee way more then he should he even said he helped push through many of these new rules/fines. He has a lot more to do with the rule changes then The Competition Committee would admit.

That may be true. I'd appreciate a link so I can check it out. Thanks!

Joel
11-27-2011, 11:48 PM
Why, so the League can increase the fines in proportion? What will that kind of escalation do to the salary cap?

It's kind of silly to say a fine most of us have been expecting since we saw the hit is unjustified or unreasonable. Particularly when Miller has a contract like this: http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_18575890

That makes $25,000 little more than a speeding ticket. The annoyance and embarrassment is probably more bothersome than the money. Realistically, the only way to get a top NFL players attention, short of seven figure fines, is suspensions. Take a guy out of the lineup for a few weeks when his team is in the thick of the playoff hunt and I guarantee he'll feel it, especially if it screws up two or three contract incentives and costs far more than any fine the League is likely to hand down for anything short of premeditated murder.

Generally speaking I agree. However, in this case, Miller took two full extra steps after Sanchez released the ball, which is a late hit at the very least even if no one called it at the time. As far as leading with the helmet, I don't think that should be a penalty unless a player HITS someone with their helmet (and it looked to me like Millers head went behind Sanchez, not into him) in which case it should be the same old 15 yard spearing penalty that it has been for decades. I have yet to comprehend why the League decided we needed a second rule for the same infraction. :confused: If you enforce the old rule you don't need the new one; if you don't enforce the old rule, you won't enforce the new one either once the buzz dies.