PDA

View Full Version : Peppers wants to leave Carolina (to play in a 3-4)

Cheez Whiz
01-17-2009, 06:33 PM
Link (http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d80e2d282&template=with-video-with-comments&confirm=true)

Carey said Peppers wants to play in a 3-4 defense. The Panthers use a 4-3 alignment.

"He certainly feels that he can excel and thrive in a 3-4 defense," Carey said. "He is also open to just another system in general that will allow him to maximize his athletic abilities."

Sounds like he would be an excellent fit for our new _efense.

Fan in Exile
01-17-2009, 06:37 PM
Link (http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d80e2d282&template=with-video-with-comments&confirm=true)

Carey said Peppers wants to play in a 3-4 defense. The Panthers use a 4-3 alignment.

"He certainly feels that he can excel and thrive in a 3-4 defense," Carey said. "He is also open to just another system in general that will allow him to maximize his athletic abilities."

Sounds like he would be an excellent fit for our new _efense.

That seems odd because he has previously said, "I really don't like being down inside," said Peppers, who, at home on the edge, has posted eight of his 10 sacks this season in the past six games. "I feel like when I'm down in that area like a tackle, I don't feel like I'm being used properly. It's hard, because you have to be a lot more run conscious and a lot more physical, which, being physical, that's no problem for me. But I'd rather get on the edge and rush the passer."

Check here (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?id=1946758)

Although it was like 5 years ago so a lot could have changed since then.

broncohead
01-17-2009, 07:09 PM
I think he is talking about 3-4 OLB. Would be great to have a veteran like him come in and help Moss

dogfish
01-17-2009, 07:17 PM
interesting. . . i wonder if he's sick of watching guys like ware and harrison rack up huge sack numbers coming off the edge from a two-point stance while he has to fight off both OTs and chips blocks on virtually every play. . .

a 280 pound LB would be freakin' insane, but he probably has the athleticism to do it. . . :shocked:

TXBRONC
01-17-2009, 07:32 PM
interesting. . . i wonder if he's sick of watching guys like ware and harrison rack up huge sack numbers coming off the edge from a two-point stance while he has to fight off both OTs and chips blocks on virtually every play. . .

a 280 pound LB would be freakin' insane, but he probably has the athleticism to do it. . . :shocked:

I think it was '05 he intercepted a Plummer pass at like his own two yard line and raced basically the entire length of the field. He would have scored had not been for Rod Smith.

SmilinAssasSin27
01-17-2009, 07:49 PM
Dude would be a freak at OLB in a 3-4. may also add a few years to his career if he could avoid the constant head banging on the LOS.

underrated29
01-17-2009, 08:04 PM
sht. Besides that do you know how many passes he would intercept.

The man is like 6'7 or something. Most lbs are 6'2-6'4 tops....The qb would have a hell of time trying to get the ball over his head/arms.

TXBRONC
01-17-2009, 08:26 PM
sht. Besides that do you know how many passes he would intercept.

The man is like 6'7 or something. Most lbs are 6'2-6'4 tops....The qb would have a hell of time trying to get the ball over his head/arms.

Like I said I remember vividly the interception that he nearly took 100 yards for touchdown.

UnderArmour
01-17-2009, 08:43 PM
Here are all the teams that run a 3-4/Hybrid/Could transition to a 3-4: Kansas City, Denver, Baltimore, Pittsburgh, Cleveland, San Diego, New York, Miami, San Fransisco, Dallas, or New England.

Miami? They have Joey Porter. Still though, he would be able to replace Jason Taylor. Not a bad fit with what he was able to do.
Kansas City? I doubt he'd be that stupid. They are rebuilding. But if they make the transition to the 3-4, it's still a landing spot.
Denver? Possibility if we transition.
Baltimore? Too many other players to re-sign. Not happening. The Baltimore defense may not be what Peppers has in mind anyways.
Pittsburgh? They are set at OLB and even have Timmons waiting in the wings. Just not going to happen.
Cleveland? Possibility. But they have Kamerion Wimbley. Still, another edge rusher wouldn't hurt.
San Diego? They have Shawn Merriman.
New York Jets? Possibility, but they spent too much last year and don't have cap room. A reunion with Kris Jenkins would be nice, but Peppers will cost too much. Plus a Rex Ryan defense may not be what Peppers is looking for.
San Fransisco? Possibility.
Dallas? They have DeMarcus Ware.
New England? The have Adalius Thomas.

Correct me if I'm wrong or missing something.

TXBRONC
01-17-2009, 09:57 PM
Dude would be a freak at OLB in a 3-4. may also add a few years to his career if he could avoid the constant head banging on the LOS.

To say the least it would be very interesting to see what he could as 3-4 OLB.

NameUsedBefore
01-17-2009, 10:07 PM
He would be a legitimate pick up.

For once.

Right timing, to boot.

Ziggy
01-17-2009, 10:12 PM
The Panthers will franchise him. There's no way they let him walk for nothing.

UnderArmour
01-17-2009, 10:25 PM
The Panthers will franchise him. There's no way they let him walk for nothing.

They may have to choose between him and Gross. I guarantee you that Jordan Gross wants to hit the open market just as bad as Peppers does. And if they chose Peppers and he ends up holding out or even refusing to sign an extension, the Panthers have to account for the tag number. The tag number is looking like $17 million. I don't know the exact amount the Panthers have in cap room, but subtracting 17 million from that prevents the Panthers from re-signing Gross who will surely attract big bucks in the open market. Peppers holds all the cards right now because Gross is a vital part to the Panthers offense that they may simply have to tag again. It's looking like Peppers will get his wish and become a free agent.

TXBRONC
01-17-2009, 11:32 PM
It would be exciting to bring Peppers regardless how much he would cost, but not sure this real possibility at this time.

Sabres39
01-18-2009, 01:52 AM
While this guy does have a lot of talent and potential to put up big numbers at a 3-4 OLB position, would you guys want to take that big and expensive of a chance on him? I mean the guy has never played the 3-4 OLB position in his life. Wouldn't you guys feel more comfortable spending that amount of money on a proven 3-4 OLB threat like Suggs? I know I would.

Ziggy
01-18-2009, 02:19 AM
While this guy does have a lot of talent and potential to put up big numbers at a 3-4 OLB position, would you guys want to take that big and expensive of a chance on him? I mean the guy has never played the 3-4 OLB position in his life. Wouldn't you guys feel more comfortable spending that amount of money on a proven 3-4 OLB threat like Suggs? I know I would.

Suggs or Peppers? I'll take Peppers even at the cost if he can play the OLB position well. If he can, you can move him around on passing downs to keep teams from double teaming him easily. You can also play him at DE if injuries hit and you have to shuffle the line. He's big, he's athletic, he's nasty, and he's entering the prime of his career. I'd love to see him come in and have coach McD build the D around him. I doubt it will happpen though.

UnderArmour
01-18-2009, 02:24 AM

If all else fails, we could just keep Peppers on the ground for more snaps than we keep him off. He's a much better pass rusher than Suggs is and he's far more athletic. Peppers has proven himself in the NFL and the fact he's willing to take a career risk by changing from a scheme he is successful in to an unknown speaks volumes of him. This guy wants to be an elite Hall of Fame player by becoming the very best he can be. He feels like he can be better than proven commodities like DeMarcus Ware, James Harrison, and Shawn Merriman. He had 14.5 sacks this season at DE with little line help. Imagine how many he could get matched up with RBs coming off the edge? Imagine how many interceptions he could catch with his long arms and athleticism? Him being around the ball is a play waiting to be made. I'd much rather have the supremely talented Julius Peppers in a 3-4 than Suggs, that isn't to say Suggs isn't elite either.

PatricktheDookie
01-18-2009, 02:41 AM
No thanks.

MOtorboat
01-18-2009, 02:45 AM
No thanks.

6-7, 285...and you say no thanks?

Um...ok...

Foochacho
01-18-2009, 02:53 AM
If he is serious about leaving the panthers, I say do whatever you have to do to sweet talk him here. He is a difference maker and even slowick's D would look a hell of alot better with him. Nolan will definitely make a D work with a guy like peppers.

MOtorboat
01-18-2009, 02:55 AM
If he is serious about leaving the panthers, I say do whatever you have to do to sweet talk him here. He is a difference maker and even slowick's D would look a hell of alot better with him. Nolan will definitely make a D work with a guy like peppers.

For the most part, players make the coordinator/position coach look good...

TXBRONC
01-18-2009, 09:00 AM

That is good point. One thing I would say though Peppers has show that he's fluid enough to play in space. That being said, I would complain about either one of them being here. Also as it's been pointed out it is etched in stone just that we will transition to a 3-4 base defense.

I might be wrong about this but it seems to me that rookie head coaches normally don't attempt big splashes in free agency their first year or two in the League.

TXBRONC
01-18-2009, 09:15 AM
Suggs or Peppers? I'll take Peppers even at the cost if he can play the OLB position well. If he can, you can move him around on passing downs to keep teams from double teaming him easily. You can also play him at DE if injuries hit and you have to shuffle the line. He's big, he's athletic, he's nasty, and he's entering the prime of his career. I'd love to see him come in and have coach McD build the D around him. I doubt it will happpen though.

I think where Sabres has a very good point is that Suggs is the proven commodity to do exactly what people here are envisioning for Peppers. Suggs also is entering the prime of his career and you can same things with him that you could with Peppers. I could be very happy with either one, but alas I with you I doubt seriously that this is going to happen.

atwater27
01-18-2009, 09:52 AM
Seeing Peppers line up on D would be like watching a Lamborghini parked at the local thrift shop right next to the pintos, hoopties and el caminos.

PatricktheDookie
01-18-2009, 12:00 PM
6-7, 285...and you say no thanks?

Um...ok...

About $100 billion per year, not to mention a Jared Allen-ish trade amount when he's franchised (1st and two 3rds), and wanting to switch to a new position deep into his career.

We've got too many holes on our defense to divert all of our cap room to an unknown quantity.

Again, no thanks.

SmilinAssasSin27
01-18-2009, 01:53 PM
IMHO, Suggs gets too banged up too often to justify the moey he will land.

UnderArmour
01-18-2009, 01:58 PM
IMHO, Suggs gets too banged up too often to justify the moey he will land.

What? Suggs has NEVER missed an NFL game.

SmilinAssasSin27
01-18-2009, 02:03 PM
Often banged up. He may not miss starts but he leaves early a lot.

Slick
01-18-2009, 02:10 PM
Peppers or Suggs would be a great addition. The problem is, they're both veteran players who know enough about the NFL that I doubt they would want to come here and try to help fix this busted mess.

Sure we could outbid someone, and money rules the world, but they could still get rich and play for a better defense than ours.

I'd love either one, but I don't see it.

TXBRONC
01-18-2009, 05:21 PM
Peppers or Suggs would be a great addition. The problem is, they're both veteran players who know enough about the NFL that I doubt they would want to come here and try to help fix this busted mess.

Sure we could outbid someone, and money rules the world, but they could still get rich and play for a better defense than ours.

I'd love either one, but I don't see it.

I totally agree I don't see this happening but it's more so because I don't think McDaniels will pursue it.

On the other hand, if Denver was to attempt signing them I could see where they might be interested if they trust Nolan's reputation as defensive coordinator is strong enough turn things around. But again, I don't think Denver is going to be a big player this year's big free agent sweepstakes.

Slick
01-18-2009, 05:30 PM
I totally agree I don't see this happening but it's more so because I don't think McDaniels will pursue it.

On the other hand, if Denver was to attempt signing them I could see where they might be interested if they trust Nolan's reputation as defensive coordinator is strong enough turn things around. But again, I don't think Denver is going to be a big player this year's big free agent sweepstakes.

Maybe a former player of Nolan's? I could definitely see that, although I read somewhere that former players didn't like playing in Nolan's defensive system. I'm not sure where, it's in a thread somewhere here.

It's unlikely, but not impossible. While I lean towards agreeing with your sentiments about McD not making too big a splash in free agency, we really don't know what he'll do. It's part of the excitement for the future I have.

TXBRONC
01-18-2009, 05:35 PM
Maybe a former player of Nolan's? I could definitely see that, although I read somewhere that former players didn't like playing in Nolan's defensive system. I'm not sure where, it's in a thread somewhere here.

It's unlikely, but not impossible. While I lean towards agreeing with your sentiments about McD not making too big a splash in free agency, we really don't know what he'll do. It's part of the excitement for the future I have.

Same here, it is exciting to see what the future holds.

Lonestar
01-19-2009, 12:56 AM
Suggs if I have to choose he destroyed BAL today..

WARHORSE
01-19-2009, 05:28 AM
Whichever one will come in and make the most impact...............thats the guy I want.

CoachChaz
01-19-2009, 08:28 AM
The ONLY way I explore acquiring Peppers is if we stay with a 4-3.

broncofaninfla
01-20-2009, 10:30 AM
I'd love to have Peppers but not if it would break the bank, we have too many holes to fill.

WARHORSE
01-20-2009, 11:24 AM
The ONLY way I explore acquiring Peppers is if we stay with a 4-3.

I was thinking the same thing. Whats the sense of paying for one of the better 4-3 defensive ends when all hes going to do is play run D?

On the flip side of that, he IS strong enough and good enough in stopping the run to do so, but probably adds alot more pass rushing ability than most 3-4 defensive ends in the league.

In other words, what would Peppers look like in New England?

Would he make the pass rush even more dominant?:coffee:

The best thing about a 3-4 is its a very cost effective scheme when it comes to player salary.

You dont need any defensive line stars, and linebackers dont command alot of kupe. (money) That is a sure fire way to keep yourself in the high profit zone.

So my thought is, spend on the linebackers that are SMART, and versatile rather than Peppers type guys.