PDA

View Full Version : Fox, Elway support of Tebow: Waiving Orton means action stronger than words

Denver Native (Carol)
11-23-2011, 11:58 AM
As there are a couple of threads - where, within those threads, some are kicking #7 to the curb for saying NO, when asked a question, I felt this deserved it's own thread.

What do words mean, anyway? By waiving veteran quarterback Kyle Orton, Broncos coach John Fox and front-office executive John Elway, without saying it, proclaimed Tim Tebow as their quarterback.

In the past week, Fox and Elway each made comments regarding Tebow that had fans wondering how much they support their quarterback.

Fox was talking about how Tebow was running the team’s new read-option offense last week when he said for emphasis that if the Broncos used a conventional offense, “(Tebow) would be screwed.” Oops. Fox’ quote went viral. He later said “he screwed up,” about saying Tebow “would be screwed.”

full article - http://blogs.denverpost.com/broncos/2011/11/22/fox-elway-support-of-tebow-action-stronger-than-words/10808/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

tomjonesrocks
11-23-2011, 12:02 PM
I really can't believe what a shitstorm what Elway said has caused. Tebow really is a religion to some people. Those "Jesus" jerseys are apropos, unbelievably enough.

Cugel
11-23-2011, 12:04 PM
You can't bench Orton as the starter, put in Tebow, decide he was a mistake, and then put Orton back in. Not when he's playing out the final year of his contract and has NO future with the team.

So there was no point in keeping Orton on the team. He probably let them know that he was done with the Denver Broncos and wanted to be traded or released.

Realistically, they might keep Brady Quinn next season as a backup, so he's the backup now if Orton goes down. They might as well cut Orton now as keep him on the bench all season.

Superchop 7
11-23-2011, 12:16 PM
Quinn has been a perfect backup this season.

I attribute this to the fact he has a cute olympic gymnast for a girlfriend.

Let's face it.....the guy is probably as happy as it gets.....life is trivial when your GF can do things other girls can't.

Superchop 7
11-23-2011, 12:18 PM
Hey Cug......read what you wrote.

HORSEPOWER 56
11-23-2011, 03:56 PM
You can't bench Orton as the starter, put in Tebow, decide he was a mistake, and then put Orton back in. Not when he's playing out the final year of his contract and has NO future with the team.

So there was no point in keeping Orton on the team. He probably let them know that he was done with the Denver Broncos and wanted to be traded or released.

Realistically, they might keep Brady Quinn next season as a backup, so he's the backup now if Orton goes down. They might as well cut Orton now as keep him on the bench all season.

He asked for a trade before TC and that's when we tried to work a deal with Miami that he blocked because of $. From what Jay Glazer was saying, as soon as Cutler went down, Orton phoned his agent and asked him to contact the Bears and Broncos FOs to see if Chicago was interested and if they were to see if the Broncos would consider releasing him seeing as how he's not even suiting up for games anymore and has been a healthy scratch for the last 3 weeks.

Now, it is just a matter of time to see if the Bears (or someone else) will claim him off waivers. I think it will be interesting to see if someone does actually claim him. With a few teams out there missing a starter due to injury, you'd think that if Orton is as good as the media and his fans make him out to be, he'd be claimed already. Frankly, I'd bet he clears waivers and then teams can negotiate with him because nobody still sees him as worth the $2.6 million he's still owed. They'll try to talk him into a one year (rest of the season) deal for about $1 million and see if he bites.

I think if he clears waivers it will once again prove, as it did during the failed Dolphin trade, that few teams have a lot of faith in him and nobody is going to pay him long-term starting money.

rcsodak
11-23-2011, 04:24 PM
He asked for a trade before TC and that's when we tried to work a deal with Miami that he blocked because of $. From what Jay Glazer was saying, as soon as Cutler went down, Orton phoned his agent and asked him to contact the Bears and Broncos FOs to see if Chicago was interested and if they were to see if the Broncos would consider releasing him seeing as how he's not even suiting up for games anymore and has been a healthy scratch for the last 3 weeks.

Now, it is just a matter of time to see if the Bears (or someone else) will claim him off waivers. I think it will be interesting to see if someone does actually claim him. With a few teams out there missing a starter due to injury, you'd think that if Orton is as good as the media and his fans make him out to be, he'd be claimed already. Frankly, I'd bet he clears waivers and then teams can negotiate with him because nobody still sees him as worth the $2.6 million he's still owed. They'll try to talk him into a one year (rest of the season) deal for about $1 million and see if he bites.

I think if he clears waivers it will once again prove, as it did during the failed Dolphin trade, that few teams have a lot of faith in him and nobody is going to pay him long-term starting money.
Guess some teams have a different opinion.

KC is clearly better, now, as a team.

Mobile Post via http://Mobile.BroncosForums.com/forums

Npba900
11-23-2011, 04:47 PM

It was definitely time for Orton to move on. Kyle isn't a QB that can excel on teams that are in a rebuilding program. He's better suited on a team(s) surrounded by talent to be an effective "Stop-Gap" QB who is well on his way to becoming an effective career backup QB in the NFL.

In week 17 the Broncos and Chiefs meet and this game will have playoff implications for both teams more than likely with Tebow and Orton going head-to-head.

We may see the unconventional QB vs the conventional QB. Wouldn't that be something!!!:D

Agent of Orange
11-23-2011, 04:54 PM
I really can't believe what a shitstorm what Elway said has caused. Tebow really is a religion to some people. Those "Jesus" jerseys are apropos, unbelievably enough.

It's a huge mistake to assume that the scrutinization of Elway is only coming from "Tebow Maniacs". There are a lot of well-reasoned Broncos fans who appreciate winning and don't appreciate Elway creating distractions where there doesn't need to be one because he's a novice as an executive.

Denver Native (Carol)
11-23-2011, 06:12 PM
Kyle Orton is now a quarterback for the Kansas City Chiefs. The Broncos are approximately $2.6 million richer. Tim Tebow is the undisputed Broncos' starting quarterback.

"We would not have made this move unless we felt good about Tim," said Broncos coach John Fox.

rest of article - http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_19400685

Elevation inc
11-23-2011, 06:54 PM

Von and doom are gonna rock ortons world if he plays denver....orton was making mediocre pass rushers look like kings....i can only imgaine what his lack of mobility and cringing in the pocket will do for our pass rush duo....no more orange jeresys in practice....doom and von get to lay the wood and for that im grateful as that will be the sweetest payback ever for his piss poor play in denver.....watching them stand over orton in week 17 will be my favorite part of the whole year......and then during the off-season he will be released to find his big FA contract he so thinks he deserves only to be let down when indy says they will sign him as a back-up......:elefant::elefant::elefant::elefant:

Elevation inc
11-23-2011, 07:05 PM

really maybe as a back-up.....KC is still commited to palko as the starter and orton will be the back-up the next few weeks per haley. Chicago wanted him as a back-up for hanie, and dallas wanted him as a back-up for romo.....those were the 3 waiver claims put in.....

Agent of Orange
11-23-2011, 07:17 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nStlMDx3ZeM

Davii
11-23-2011, 07:28 PM

:pound:

Funny Rc, I never knew you were so funny. He might be better than Palko but Orton is not an upgrade over Cassel. At best it's an even swap skill wise with growing pain and offense learning needed.

This might get the Chiefs an extra win, but it won't be week 17 so you can stop pounding that drum.

Ravage!!!
11-23-2011, 08:00 PM
There were three million reasons why to cut Orton, and none of them had to do with Tebow.

vhatever
11-23-2011, 08:42 PM
This is bowlen saying "shut up and be happy with winning already, elway".

camdisco24
11-23-2011, 08:50 PM
This is bowlen saying "shut up and be happy with winning already, elway".

Or we just wanted to save $2.5 Million bucks and show some class to a QB on the way out anyways?

There is no one at Dove Valley not happy with winning.